Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1509Likes

post #61 of 6213 Old 12-07-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Hey, thanks for reminding me. I will try to record it later tonight. I heard they changed the format. Excited to see what the big reveals are.

And thanks again Tim for helping me move that furniture. How are your forearms doing?!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 6213 Old 12-07-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 265
They are streaming it this year. They will have a condensed version on Spike Monday night. Or you can find it all over the internets.

I'm not going to lie, my arms were sore the next day.
post #63 of 6213 Old 12-07-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I just found out that are not rebroadcasting the whole thing again. Bummer. I guess I can find it online like you said. Maybe it is time I got one of those fancy iPads so I can "push" it to my big screen. Oh wait I just did!

Ha ha, like you said that couch is coming out in pieces if it ever does come out. I will have to take the saw zall to it just like your epic battle with your own couch!

post #64 of 6213 Old 12-07-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, then you had the same idea I did, This is one of the few times I really enjoy the Apple TV. I Have the VGX streaming from my laptop to my tv through the ATV. Full screen 1080p and still am able to use my laptop as normal. I have to say this is pretty awesome.
post #65 of 6213 Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Chromecast is 35 bucks and any device using chrome browser can push. The hell with Apple
post #66 of 6213 Old 12-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Apple is where it's at buddy.
post #67 of 6213 Old 12-08-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have tried the chromecast. it's nice, but pretty limited not as reliable yet. I am sure with time it will get much better. I enjoy playing with all these different devices.
post #68 of 6213 Old 12-08-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 484 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 2714
I'm still enjoying the Roku!

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
post #69 of 6213 Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

I use my roku when I travel, like I did the last few days while working the ice storms in Arkansas. They're ultra portable and perfect for hotel rooms
post #70 of 6213 Old 12-08-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For streaming Netflix and Hulu the Roku and PS3 are my top choices. The Apple TV works for those services but they make it a chore. However, extending your computers desktop to your tv couldn't be easier. Using your phone or tablet for the Chromecast is great for music but sucks for browsing movies or shows. I could go on and on about streamers. I pretty much love anything wireless so I try and use them all.
post #71 of 6213 Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Scrappydue suggested we do another amp face off sometime next year. We tried one before, and then had a smaller amp face off at my place with carp and scrappydue, but we don't really have an official thread to reference that didn't get convoluted with the Audyssey mess from last time's official test.

Scrappydue suggested just four amps, to keep it simple.

We'd like one expensive amp - a class A preferably
We'd like one nice typical home theater amp - the Sherbourn 7-350 or a fan favorite Emotiva Amp
We'd like one pro amp - probably a class D, perhaps an iNuke or newer Crown XLS drivecore
We'd like one mid tier AVR.

We'd again like to do blind testing using the switchbox I have. I think we all pretty much determined at the last meet that amps sound the same within typical volume levels, once we ferreted out the Audyssey problem - but Scrappydue said it would be real nice to have a consolidated thread with no mistakes and a proper retest to validate our previous testing. I agree with him to a point. What do the rest of you think? Any interest? Or is this a been there done that thing?

Along the same lines for other meet ideas -
Stitch1 has suggested a similar meet where we compare room calibration toolsets. Audyssey vs. MACC vs. YPAO vs. Trinnov. vs. Emotiva's
I think this would be cool - but would require another channel be added to my switch mechanism to compare 5.1 --- Pretty easily done!
I've suggested a headphone meet and a headphone meet could be a tackon idea to another meet idea.
With the recent discussion of streaming options - It might even be fun to have a streaming media tool demonstration?

Other ideas?

carp and I will be attending the Gorilla83 Home Theater Heavy Hitters meet in January - so we may have to put off any meets until Feburary timeframe to avoid wife aggro.

post #72 of 6213 Old 12-09-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 2883 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
I say we wait until we get our hands on a class A amp and then schedule the time for the GTG.

It goes without saying though that I am in for this. smile.gif
post #73 of 6213 Old 12-09-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would be very excited to do any of these tests. I could provide the mid-tier receiver. I think the Onkyo 818 would be a good candidate; because it is both new enough to be relevant and cheap enough that the average enthusiast would have something comparable. Or I could bust out the Denon 2809.

I would really like to do a Streaming devices meet. That would be a lot of fun. I have an Apple TV, Roku 2 XD, Wii U (yes, it’s a pretty good streamer), PS3, and access to a Chromecast. I would like to see a newer Google TV streamer like the Netgear NeoTV Prime and some others that I may not know about.
Also, if someone has a nice home media setup, that would be nice to see too. I could show how I have had my home music setup to stream wirelessly. For example I have a hard drive connected to my router with that holds all my music (and movies but they were DVD’s) I could then control music with my computer or phone (or tablet if I had one) to play to my computer, Apple Express, Apple TV, or any DNLA device like PS3, 360, and so on. It works pretty well however, With Google music the need for such a setup is pretty much completely gone. It does come in handy for live events that have a PA system. Last year I setup a dumbed down version so we could stream music from an iPad to a PA system in a large hall for a wedding.

As you guys might be able to tell, I am all about the wireless stuff and I try to use the cloud as much as possible. I know a LOT of people hate this idea and prefer to keep everything on local storage. I do like to keep backups local but if it can float on a cloud for little to no money then that’s where my stuff will be. Another example of this is pictures on the phone. Say I am out and take some photos with my phone. The next time my phone connects to wifi all those pictures are automatically uploaded to DropBox and Google. This keeps them off my phones storage and I still have access to all of my photos this way. I also back up anything I take with our camera to Dropbox when connected to the computer.

Again, I am kind of a wireless nut, so, I will shut up now.biggrin.gif
post #74 of 6213 Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

I have a Yamaha aventage 1030 and outlaw 7500 amp and qsc 4050hd pro amp if any of them fit the criteria
post #75 of 6213 Old 12-09-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

I would be very excited to do any of these tests. I could provide the mid-tier receiver. I think the Onkyo 818 would be a good candidate; because it is both new enough to be relevant and cheap enough that the average enthusiast would have something comparable. Or I could bust out the Denon 2809.

I would really like to do a Streaming devices meet. That would be a lot of fun. I have an Apple TV, Roku 2 XD, Wii U (yes, it’s a pretty good streamer), PS3, and access to a Chromecast. I would like to see a newer Google TV streamer like the Netgear NeoTV Prime and some others that I may not know about.
Also, if someone has a nice home media setup, that would be nice to see too. I could show how I have had my home music setup to stream wirelessly. For example I have a hard drive connected to my router with that holds all my music (and movies but they were DVD’s) I could then control music with my computer or phone (or tablet if I had one) to play to my computer, Apple Express, Apple TV, or any DNLA device like PS3, 360, and so on. It works pretty well however, With Google music the need for such a setup is pretty much completely gone. It does come in handy for live events that have a PA system. Last year I setup a dumbed down version so we could stream music from an iPad to a PA system in a large hall for a wedding.

As you guys might be able to tell, I am all about the wireless stuff and I try to use the cloud as much as possible. I know a LOT of people hate this idea and prefer to keep everything on local storage. I do like to keep backups local but if it can float on a cloud for little to no money then that’s where my stuff will be. Another example of this is pictures on the phone. Say I am out and take some photos with my phone. The next time my phone connects to wifi all those pictures are automatically uploaded to DropBox and Google. This keeps them off my phones storage and I still have access to all of my photos this way. I also back up anything I take with our camera to Dropbox when connected to the computer.

Again, I am kind of a wireless nut, so, I will shut up now.biggrin.gif

Tim,

You are prime candidate to host the little streaming tech meet because I'd venture you are probably the most knowledgable of the gadgets in this arena. Pick a date with the wife and organize a little G2G. Advertise it here. I'd for sure attend. I only really use my Roku 2, PS3, or smart bluray player, but enjoy learning about new stuff.
The meet could be gadget related stuff. If anyone has a Darbee unit that would be a fun thing to play with too. I've seen them before, but lately entertained some questions about them from other forum members.

post #76 of 6213 Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am most interested in the wifi/streaming stuff. Maybe also how to do htpc stuff?

Next best would be the room calibration. And the headphones.

I feel like we ready did the amp comparo but I would attend again anyway if I could.

My attendance to multiple events is only possible if it is after kids bedtime (8) but I don't expect the whole thing to revolve around my timetable. Could do maybe one "half day" event if there is one.

I think we should only do one thing at a time. It is inevitable that these things take twice as long as you think.
post #77 of 6213 Old 12-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

My htpc stuff is pretty elaborate. I can help there
post #78 of 6213 Old 12-09-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

I have zero need for new speakers, but if any one needs a nice set of full range polk towers with 500 watt power handling check this out.
http://www.frys.com/product/6895346

I'm such a deal hound that I have half a mind to pick up a pair to play with. 7 of these would be 2k. That's pretty remarkable sale pricing.

post #79 of 6213 Old 12-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

What's this heavy hitters meet in January you and carp are going to?
post #80 of 6213 Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

post #81 of 6213 Old 12-10-2013, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Flying or driving?
post #82 of 6213 Old 12-10-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

we are flying. $125 for the ticket up. $95 for the ticket back.

$110 for 3 hour travel each way in the plane or a 20 hour car ride and probably more than that spent in gas? Easy choice for a weekend event. smile.gif

post #83 of 6213 Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I second the streaming meet at Tim's. I don't think many of us have had a chance to visit his room.

jb that would be great. I could use some direction in that area. Besides the htpc I also want to set up a storage solution for family pics/videos and also my music much like what Tim has described. I bet there are others here that would be interested in the same type of thing. There seem to be a lot of ways to accomplish the same end result but with many caveats.
post #84 of 6213 Old 12-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

I second the streaming meet at Tim's. I don't think many of us have had a chance to visit his room.

jb that would be great. I could use some direction in that area. Besides the htpc I also want to set up a storage solution for family pics/videos and also my music much like what Tim has described. I bet there are others here that would be interested in the same type of thing. There seem to be a lot of ways to accomplish the same end result but with many caveats.

I have a server seperate of my htpc as well. Its sitting at 21 terabytes or so right now.
post #85 of 6213 Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Woah, I missed this thread too. Hello other KC guys I haven't met yet.

1) we can use my fp14000 clone also for the amp test if there is interest
2) I'm always in for a movie if the Authorities approve - would love the chance to get to the new theater
3) I am very interested in learning about Tim's streaming setup/process
4) I am putting together my HTPC right now and could use all the help I can get. I've been bugging Jonathon plenty about it.
5) I have the Ultrasone DJ-1 Pro headphones I could bring to a headphones GTG
6) I'm remodeling my media room right now - I could use some insight for wiring ideas and sound treatment from you guys soon, and to maybe help hoist some Gjallarhorns to my attic! (beer and steaks provided)

Also, I'm on the hunt for a <$750 general use laptop if you guys have any suggestions:
- non-gaming, to run WinISD, REW, MiniDSP, J River, Excel, Photoshop, Lightroom, Virtual DJ, iTunes, Office, surf the net, stream movies through JRiver to a TV while we are at the lake, decent internal soundcard to run good headphones

- Doug
post #86 of 6213 Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

6) I'm remodeling my media room right now - I could use some insight for wiring ideas and sound treatment from you guys soon, and to maybe help hoist some Gjallarhorns to my attic! (beer and steaks provided)
- Doug

Having tasted Doug's most excellent steak and potatoes fare - this hoisting is not something I'd like to miss.

post #87 of 6213 Old 12-10-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

Woah, I missed this thread too. Hello other KC guys I haven't met yet.

1) we can use my fp14000 clone also for the amp test if there is interest
2) I'm always in for a movie if the Authorities approve - would love the chance to get to the new theater
3) I am very interested in learning about Tim's streaming setup/process
4) I am putting together my HTPC right now and could use all the help I can get. I've been bugging Jonathon plenty about it.
5) I have the Ultrasone DJ-1 Pro headphones I could bring to a headphones GTG

Also, I'm on the hunt for a <$750 general use laptop if you guys have any suggestions:
- non-gaming, to run WinISD, REW, MiniDSP, J River, Excel, Photoshop, Lightroom, Virtual DJ, iTunes, Office, surf the net, stream movies through JRiver to a TV while we are at the lake, decent internal soundcard to run good headphones

- Doug

I have sampled his steaks and they are definitely worth the work!biggrin.gif
post #88 of 6213 Old 12-10-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dang! Jonathan beat me to it. mad.gifeek.gif
post #89 of 6213 Old 12-10-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

By the way for some of you new guys - If you aren't in our google group - please join.

kchte @ googlegroups.com is the e-mail address to send a note out to everyone in the group. (without the two spaces, I don't want any automated webcrawlers picking up the e-mail address and spamming us - so I put a space after the kchte and before the googlegroups.com)

You should be able to join the group by logging into google groups and searching for Kansas City Home Theater Enthusiasts

We use the google group to communicate meet information in addition to the forum so we don't miss new threads or events. If you have trouble getting yourself into the group (which should let anyone join) please contact stitch1, carp, luke kamp, or I as we are the current 'managers' and would be happy to provide you access.

post #90 of 6213 Old 12-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version