Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 640 Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Let's start a thread for Kansas City Home Theater enthusiasts!

Here is a list of active home theater hobbiest in Kansas City, at least in relation to the ongoing KC g2gs that I'm aware of.
  • @Archaea - JTR 228HT / Onkyo PR-SC 5508 / Crown X1000 amps, JTR Captivators / Crown XLS-5000, Eight Sealed Dayton Audio Ultimax UM18-22 subwoofers / iNuke DSP 6000, Panasonic AE8000U projector, 144" Scope Seymour XD acoustic transparent screen, buttkicker mini LFE / iNuke DSP 3000
  • @carp
  • @d_c
  • @jedimastergrant
  • @Luke Camp
  • @MrSmithers
  • @ScrappyDue
  • @Stitch1 - SVSound SCS-01 / Denon 2809 / SVS PB-12NSD / Epson 8500UB, 110” 16x9 Elite Screen, PS3, Xbox360, Wii U, Roku XD, Apple TV
  • @Randy Bessinger

Here is a list of hobbiest who are in KC area, but perhaps not as active in the A/V events I'm aware of.
  • @04FLHRCI
  • @acewatson
  • @bezlar
  • @bluesprings1
  • @boots rojas
  • @chirpie
  • @ChldsPlay
  • @counsil
  • @cvinfig - living room: Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 & PLC150 / Marantz 7005 / Outlaw 7500, SVS PB2-Plus, Sony 60" SXRD ... home theater: Dynaudio Confidence C1 / Anthem AVM50v / Anthem A5, currently N/A, Epson 6010
  • @energyfun
  • @eviltwincustoms
  • @KC Sphinx
  • @kcnitro07
  • @maedgo
  • @menotsodumb
  • @rboster
  • @Sadus
  • @superedge88
  • @tatersly
  • @tcottonab
  • @thebean
  • @wildcat82
  • @robotbunny
  • @financethis
  • @JDontee

Here is a list of notable hobbiest within about a three hour drive that are active in nearby communities, and frequent KC g2g events.
  • @desertdome
  • @dlbeck
  • @kwarny
  • @HuskerOmaha
  • @tesseract67
I'm probably missing people - for that I apologize, but otherwise these are guys I've at least interacted with through PM on several occassions and I know they live locally - many I've been to their house and they to mine.

We have a google groups membership that we use to communicate with as well:
Kansas City Home Theater Enthusiasts

Feel free to request access to this google group:
Luke Kamp, carp, stitch1, and I are the managers of the google group - so you'll want to request access through one of us.

I like the IA Meet? thread and it's constant updates. I hope to generate something like that for the KC enthusiasts. One could even use this thread to suggest they want to go see a movie at the new Dolby Atmos theater in NKC and see if anyone else out of our local group is interested in meeting them there. Just whatever... I hope the thread becomes yet another means of communication for a group of friends.

What I suggest is that those interested can consider hosting one evening for a rotating movie night. The interval can be fleshed out - - -Perhaps monthly, perhaps quarterly. You may only wish to host once, you may wish to host more often. If you would like to host a movie night at your home to show of your equipment, meet other enthusiasts in the hobby, or learn more about the hobby please provide the date you are willing to host. The details of the g2g can be hashed out through PM to keep address and contact information private if preferred. A few of the KC enthusiasts did this a couple years ago, but the monthly movie night g2g events slowed to a stop due to lack of participation. I'd like to see if we can resume the activity,as they were a lot of fun and a chance to learn more about the hobby and see many different setups.

If you'd like to be added to the list, or would consider hosting an event - please sound off in the thread! If you'd like to have your gear mentioned in the local user list please feel free to post in the thread and I'll update this first post.
User the format:
User - Speakers / Receiver/pre-amp/amp, Subs / Amp, video display device, unique items

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Archaea; 09-02-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 640 Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Hey Archaea, that's a great idea - and I'd be all over that offer myself...if I still lived in Leawood, KS! rolleyes.gif
Nice looking theater you have there to (needs some large throw rugs on that hard floor in front of those nice big speakers though!).

I'm going to follow this thread and see how it flies, might try something similar here later.
Good luck! smile.gif

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #3 of 640 Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Cool, good idea.

GTG at Jedi's house in December right Grant? biggrin.gif

Kevin, any funds left to get the 2nd row bar project going?

post #4 of 640 Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My house is always open for demos for sure. As for movie nights, with limited seating I could only have 4 guys over. Once I move my home theater will
Hopefully be in the size room I'd like and will have at least two rows of three. With more room in front for bean bags and what not for the kids. Anyways......subscribed! And speaking of the atmos, I just found out carry woods had this. I am dying to go check it out.
post #5 of 640 Old 10-25-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks for putting this together jonathon. It should take some stress off of the pm system.

I am up for hosting just as soon as the room is done. And I hope that it would be finished by December. I have not updated my thread for awhile so I am quite a bit further along than it would suggest. Hope to update it soon.

post #6 of 640 Old 10-25-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Will be glad to host as soon as my brand new knee is rehab'd
post #7 of 640 Old 10-26-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 126
You guys should do another blind amp test, but this time, use either full range speakers (able to play somewhat flat to the mid-low 30's) or a subwoofer.

I read the other thread and it was apparent to me that within the amps limits, an Emotiva or 20w T-amp sounded the same. Add on top of that really high efficiency speakers like the JTRs where you'll rarely use even 20w and it gets interesting for sure! I wasn't expecting that dramatic of an outcome so I was really impressed and interested.

Where I've perceived, or at least I think I have, a difference in the amp "sound" is with the bass, and I'm not talking about an amp that had roll-off below 20hz or something so there was an obvious decibel advantage from one to the next. It was more the mid-bass, where one sounded "bloated" or "heavy" compared to another. Now, I was switching amps in and out, so there was minutes in between hearing tracks from amp to amp, and we all know how accurate our memory is with such things...

I'd like to see your same test methodology followed but focused more on the 40-80hz type stuff. I'd definitely attend as well!

post #8 of 640 Old 10-26-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We've definitely had some interest expressed in a repeat of that test. I'm just not sure how much enthusiasm we'd have in the group. It was disappointing to go to such lengths in setup, measuring, level matching, verifying to the nth degree - and thinking - MAN THERE IS TONS of difference between the amps and then come to the conclusion that a power reset had re-enabled Audyseey and our test results were invalid. In our brief subsequent testing,and a bit of additional testing we concluded that with the Klispch RF-63 in full range, and the Noesis there was no difference between a T-amp and a Emotiva amp, nor in a crown pro amp - so long as no EQ was enabled. The $20 t-amp will drive the Noesis 212HT to reference. It would drive the full range Klipsch RF-63 to much louder volumes than I would have expected (much louder than comfortable typical listening), and the Klipsch are probably 8dB less sensitive in the real world than the 212HT.

As you said -- We'd need some low efficiency tower speakers to really do the test up right.

I know one of the guys wants to expand my simple switching mechanism to 7 channels and do some processor testing between the different Auto EQ options. Audyssey, MACC, YMPO, etc.

post #9 of 640 Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Yeah, that is a heck of a lot of work. I guess after your last test, the odds are even less that there is a difference in the bass region.

post #10 of 640 Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 PM

id be interested to try it again on some really low rated speakers running full range. but i would want some other amps to make it worthwhile for others to know about as well. id like our new sherbourn to be the bottom dollar amps. and with that being said i WILL NOT be touching the amp switch board...lol. but it would be nice to test maybe a outlaw audio, d-sonic, b&k, ATI, Acurus, ETC.... nothing crazy expensive, but higher priced than emotiva for sure. i coulc care less about what class it was. just brand vs brands. i think it would go smoother since we have done it before as well.
post #11 of 640 Old 10-27-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd be up for it - but that's easy for me to say since I'm never the brains of the operation and am usually drinking beer while others are hard at work. tongue.gif
Gorilla83 likes this.

post #12 of 640 Old 10-27-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah - there is a never ending stream of posts like this that make me interested in doing additional testing
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484761/sherbourn-emotiva-pa7350-7-x-350w-8-ohms-for-999/210#post_23881468

In KC now we have both the TX-NR818 and the Sherbourn 7-350 between Stitch1 and I. I can tell you that unless the speakers are very low sensitivity and full range and your listening levels are very loud, I for one, doubt I could tell the difference if my life depended on it. But hey - I'm always up for testing and verifying.

post #13 of 640 Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 PM

Let's do it! Who out of all of us has the lowest sensitivity speakers?
post #14 of 640 Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Guys I still have all that Audio Authority switching gear but still have yet to play with it at all. I'm hoping to CNC a display panel and small cabinet to house all the switching gear soon. With some lead time between me doing that and your event I'd be happy to send it to you guys to try out. smile.gif
carp likes this.

post #15 of 640 Old 10-28-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does your switching gear prevent amps from blowing up? biggrin.gif

If so we are definitely interested! My low tech jig caused the death of one and temporarily shorted a couple more amps. We had a few 'close calls' that would be best avoided if we do this again! smile.gif --- Especially if we are talking about upping the quality of amplifiers in the mix.

post #16 of 640 Old 10-28-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Does your switching gear prevent amps from blowing up? biggrin.gif

If so we are definitely interested! My low tech jig caused the death of one and temporarily shorted a couple more amps. We had a few 'close calls' that would be best avoided if we do this again! smile.gif --- Especially if we are talking about upping the quality of amplifiers in the mix.

Yes, it's electronically switched from a control panel that hooks to an auxiliary module that uses large relays (rated to 2000 watts/channel) and will only allow you to select once source at a time from the control panel. Obviously I still have to connect it all together again and test it but it seems really sweet. I've been devoting every spare second I can manage to getting the workshop 'winter ready' but I'm hoping soon to have some pictures to share with you guys. I can also use this rig to quickly compare active sub setups as is. The same rig with another small add on will allow quick speaker selection (or even video) as well.

When were you looking at meeting? I've been chatting with the wife about a potential GTG out here in the January/February timeframe.

BTW I was thinking of running some very dynamic/hard hitting tracks like the Chinese drums at unreasonable volumes for something like this.

post #17 of 640 Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright it's settled then. Now all we need is some full range low sensitivity speakers... tongue.gif Does anyone in this group even know what those look like?!?!? wink.gif

post #18 of 640 Old 10-28-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Guys I still have all that Audio Authority switching gear but still have yet to play with it at all. I'm hoping to CNC a display panel and small cabinet to house all the switching gear soon. With some lead time between me doing that and your event I'd be happy to send it to you guys to try out. smile.gif

Yes!! Not blowing up amps is so in right now.

Scrappy will be back at the controls with no fear. Still... maybe we should blow up another T amp for old times sake.

post #19 of 640 Old 10-29-2013, 10:36 AM

Yeah we need some 4 ohm low sensitivity speakers. What about some of the magnepans for sale local on Craigslist right now?
post #20 of 640 Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Who's up for going to watch a movie at the Dolby Atmos theater at Barry Woods 24 this Sunday night?

I'm thinking either Thor 2 or Ender's game?

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/content/movie/theater/find-a-cinema.html?ct=Dolby-Atmos

Let's pick a start time at or after 7PM to accommodate Luke and my schedules.

post #21 of 640 Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha, I sometimes forget that you have no interest in the NFL. Undefeated Chiefs vs. the best team in the leage, the Broncos on Sunday Night Football.

post #22 of 640 Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Meh - tongue.gif

I'll hear all about it on Monday morning from my co-workers, and can watch the three highlights on sports center during my over lunch workout.

Luke and I talked earlier tonight about doing an ATMOS visit for the Thor 2 movie, right before I put that post up and Sunday night was the only night that worked for both of us this week - the following weekend might work, but it's getting close to the holidays, and I'm not sure what my family - or other families are doing during that weekend before Thanksgiving. I wonder if Luke remembered Sunday the 17th was during Chief's game time - I know he follows baseball - not sure about football.

Sheldon --
You got a DVR right? wink.gif

post #23 of 640 Old 11-14-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well Luke messaged me back and said he does want to watch the game and so since I'm more than likely a minority in not following football --- we should probably reschedule. Also for whatever reason Luke found out that Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is the movie playing in Atmos that night ---- so um... I'm out too!

We'll have to reschedule...

Next random thought - - -
How about an audiophile headphone meet at some point?

Anyone interested? Do you guys own good headphones? Do you like good headphones?

We could buy one of these units - for say $50 bucks. (That company takes offers and usually sells pretty cheap)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-AMP800-AMP-800-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier-/370942736406?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item565de8f816

Have the same source fed to eight pairs of headphones at a time and just play musical chairs moving between them. If everybody interested kicked in $5 bucks we could pay for the headphone amp easily enough and then just raffle of the unit at the end of the night. Cheap Entertainment!

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-595, and a pair of Sony V700DJ, and a pair of ear buds - Bose IE2. I've been through quite literally dozens of high rated headphones trying everything from Denon, to Grado, to you name it. The aforementioned are my favorite three and in that order.

Sound fun?

post #24 of 640 Old 11-15-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a pair of grado sr80 or 120. I will have to recheck. I also have another good pair I forgot the name of at the moment.

I also have a little Dolby 5.1 signal processor thingy made to send pseudo surround signals to headphones that I tried when in a previous home and the bedroom was right next to the living room. We could try that out too just for fun.

In other news I moved the OS behind the false wall. Electrical finishing next week. Things are moving along. Spending A lot of time down there finishing construction. So tentatively plan on the first half of December for a gtg. Is there a day of the week that is best for everyone or a few that we can rule out right away? I will probably only have 6-7 proper seats but more can come if they want. One concern is I anticipate that it will get hot in the room with a lot of folks after some amount of time has passed until I figure out how to do some hvac fix.

How many gamers out there? PS4 launch is today! I have a preorder but I am going to wait to open it till Christmas. I also have a preorder for the Xbox One and I decided to use it right away. It should be fun to see how it functions as a "one" box for all your media needs. Anyway if there are others interested I think it would be great to do some multiplayer on the big screen. I also have a Wii U which has some good multiplayer stuff as well.

Go Chiefs!

post #25 of 640 Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm around the KC area. While i have more of a budget setup, I'm into HTPCs & DYI subs. Working on my next sub now, and finishing my basement soon.
post #26 of 640 Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool. Tell us about your htpc's and sub project.

post #27 of 640 Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Grant, weeknights are tough for me but if no weekends work for others I'd be willing to try to make it over anyway.

post #28 of 640 Old 11-15-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 10
I use XBMC, and run a SSD for OS, raid 5 with 5.5tb for data... drives are almost full frown.gif I keep audio simple, using a video card that supports HDMI audio out direct to my receiver.

I have built a few subs, but this one I'm pretty proud of, Google+ album here A CSS Trio 12 with 500 watt bash amp, tuned to 20Hz. I have never measured it, but my room is a loft, open to the rest of the house. It fills out nicely, and shakes the walls.

My current project, dual sealed 15s in separate enclosures with a rack amp. I still have not decided on what amp yet. I'm looking for 600-800 watts rms for each sub. I hope there will be some good Black Friday deals that will pop up.
post #29 of 640 Old 11-15-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just saw an update in the Omaha area thread which was kind of a cool idea, and we could consider doing the same. For their next home theater tour in that area, nebrunner, suggested they watch one movie spread out over the course of the different theaters on the tour list. So if you have five theaters on the tour you divide a movie into five parts and each take a section --- so you can compare each theater on the same type of material. You could couple that of course with a little personal section from each theater as well. Just another idea to throw into the mix.

Grant, you were pushing the home theater tour idea at one point...I do think that'd be fun and I'd bet we might have a visitor or two from Omaha or Des Moines av groups that would venture down.

maedgo, I added you to the list above of KC enthusiasts. Thanks for perking up in the thread. I'm sure we'll meet sooner or later.

post #30 of 640 Old 11-19-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maedgo View Post

I use XBMC, and run a SSD for OS, raid 5 with 5.5tb for data... drives are almost full frown.gif I keep audio simple, using a video card that supports HDMI audio out direct to my receiver.

I have built a few subs, but this one I'm pretty proud of, Google+ album here A CSS Trio 12 with 500 watt bash amp, tuned to 20Hz. I have never measured it, but my room is a loft, open to the rest of the house. It fills out nicely, and shakes the walls.

My current project, dual sealed 15s in separate enclosures with a rack amp. I still have not decided on what amp yet. I'm looking for 600-800 watts rms for each sub. I hope there will be some good Black Friday deals that will pop up.
there are inuke 3000's on ebay. he will accept 240 for an offer!
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page