post #91 of 148 Old 07-26-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post
I had a blast, never heard so much deep bass before. OMG!
I've been patiently waiting for some updates. Is this not the right thread for that?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 148 Old 07-26-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 160
GTG just ended. I feel physically weak from all the bass. ..
Mfusick likes this.
post #93 of 148 Old 07-26-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Man it is not 2am yet

Wish I could have made it, but my feet are swelling from knee surgery. I have been having test all week to rule out anything bad. Was not a good idea to fly and wonder to far from home. Look forward to the results.
post #94 of 148 Old 07-26-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Now I really want to hear about it

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #95 of 148 Old 07-26-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Did anyone investigate what fell and broke upstairs?

The back row of the room was the 'hot' seat with a lot more output vs. the front row. The JTR 215 were quite powerful even without any subs on, they would be overkill for most 'sane' people... but then again the AVS DIY crew are not sane by definition. Very well done crossover work Jeff... it was a pleasure to listen to them.

A huge thanks to Luke and Dustin for putting this on, it was a blast.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #96 of 148 Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I wonder if this is the loudest home theater in Minnesota

Thanks again for hosting this guys, it was a blast and definitely looking forward to next years session.
post #97 of 148 Old 07-26-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
Did anyone investigate what fell and broke upstairs?
A light bulb and a gallon of laundry detergent fell out of a cabinet in the laundry room.
post #98 of 148 Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
A huge thanks to Luke and Dustin for putting this on, it was a blast.

It was a blast...literally. I've never felt my body shake like that before. It was quite the experience. The equipment there was out of the league that I will likely ever be able (or allowed) to have for myself, so it was fun to take it in for several hours. I cant imagine actually watching an entire movie at the levels we watched the clips, but it was do-able in length of the sample clips.

Good speakers, good company, and all around a good time. Thanks guys!
post #99 of 148 Old 07-26-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

What a day!

I finally got to hook up the Yorks and also see my new TV I got for fathers day.

The JTRs were certainly impressive for sure. I thought they'd be mostly be geared for music, but I actually enjoyed movie clips more on them than I did music! The 18hz tune is perfect to limit excursion where a lot of movies have really demanding content. Unlike the last time I heard them, this time they weren't amp limited and could really shine. I haven't heard any other single speaker that can complete with this full range monster. I also thought the 215RT extended lower than the Orbit Shifter LFU that was here last year. Bravo, Jeff!

Additionally, I'm an idiot. We were going to cross the JTRs at 80hz and run them with the horns but it didn't happen. I was really looking forward to that.
post #100 of 148 Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was looking forward to hear them at all! Lol. May have to schedulea hearing next time imin Chicago. Pulse was still my favorite bass track but I still want more spl. Was hoping to push the envelope so to speak but I'll take your word Luke. As soon as thenext house is ppurchased a pair of each will be built. I'm envious. Good times. Thanks again guys. Fiancé was quite impressed as well.
post #101 of 148 Old 07-27-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
What a day!

I finally got to hook up the Yorks and also see my new TV I got for fathers day.

The JTRs were certainly impressive for sure. I thought they'd be mostly be geared for music, but I actually enjoyed movie clips more on them than I did music! The 18hz tune is perfect to limit excursion where a lot of movies have really demanding content. Unlike the last time I heard them, this time they weren't amp limited and could really shine. I haven't heard any other single speaker that can complete with this full range monster. I also thought the 215RT extended lower than the Orbit Shifter LFU that was here last year. Bravo, Jeff!

Additionally, I'm an idiot. We were going to cross the JTRs at 80hz and run them with the horns but it didn't happen. I was really looking forward to that.
Was this the first time you listened to the yorks at all? What are your impressions? How much better are the JTR215's compared to the yorks?

Is there another thread for results/discussion or is this it?

Thanks
Ray

Last edited by raynist; 07-27-2014 at 12:37 PM.
post #102 of 148 Old 07-27-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Was this the first the you listened to the yorks at all? What are your impressions? How much better are the JTR215's compared to the yorks?

Is there another thread for results/discussion or is this it?

Thanks
Ray
I am looking forward to hearing the comparisions as well...
post #103 of 148 Old 07-27-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Crickets
post #104 of 148 Old 07-27-2014, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Ok, i"m going to try and make this as brief as possible. First off, thank you for hosting this event and inviting us into your home. I had a great time and learned alot.

The 215's: Oh sweet baby jesus. I showed up about 30 mins after the guys started. I could hear them bumping upstairs as soon as I walked up to the door. I figured they were demoing a sub or subs, but when I walked in Luke said it was just the 2 215's with no woofers whatsoever. Let me tell you, these are definitely a full range speaker. 99% of the population wouldn't need a sub with these, and I say that in absolute certainty. In fact, with a l/c/r the bass would be too much for 99% of the population. Just as impressive, however, were the mid and upper end. I remember the Pod Emergence scene, there's a point of glass breaking and I swear I heard all 2 million pieces of glass hit the concrete. It was really stunning. The speaker was integrated perfectly, I don't think it can be beat. Ok, overall if money were no object I would have 7 of these in my living room. Now, for the downsides.

Expensive-however, this is relative, and you don't need to buy any subs so there's alot of potential savings there.
Size-at 6 feet tall, and 215 lbs, these are no joke. They were not easy to move, especially carrying through doorways and up stairs.
Looks-This could go either way, I liked them, but I don't care about size. They had a good finish, and I think it's up to personal tastes.

Overall-Most impressive speaker I have ever heard. I have 4 15" 3 way speakers at home. I now consider them satellites, and will take no further compliments on them.

Yorkvilles: Not truly a fair comparison, as the 215's were run full range, and these were crossed over at 80hz. Even so, I liked these speakers as well. They got as loud and as I would ever want a speaker to go, and sounded great at those levels. A complete bargain, I believe Luke said he paid 1600 for the pair after shipping? (someone correct me if my memory is hazy here) They seemed to just be lacking something compared to the JTR's though. A little less depth, or less clarity, it's hard to describe. They were very clear, and really sounded fantastic, but the JTR's were just out of this world. I can't afford the JTR's, was thinking about Tempests or 1099's, but now these are definitely on the list.

Still big, still not covered in rosewood veneer, but I don't care about looks, just performance

Othor/Ghorn Combo: Unethical. It's not fair. One man doesn't deserve this much bass. We had just finished moving the 215's into Jeff's van, and heard Luke's house start to fall apart, and something crashing. You could feel bass everywhere in his house, the stove was shaking back and forth, everywhere you walked was a foot massage. In the theater room it was nuts. I wish I would have taken a volume reading (doh!) but you would be deaf in a week listening to his system on high. I really can't put into word how hard those subs pound, especially in back on the riser. His entire house was pulsating. I'd compare it to a concert or a rave, but that would be an insult to these subs. I'm building an Othorn, for sure. I was on the fence till I heard it. I was blown away how kick drums and bass drops EXPLODED out of those subs. It was unreal. The ported/sealed debate is over for me. HORNS!

If I were into movies the Ghorns would be awesome, but Luke said he almost fried a voice coil when it played alot of 50HZ stuff. If you want to cover the whole bass spectrum, one Ghorn and one Othorn would be incredible. Luke has 2 of each. It was stunning, mouth dropping, awe-inspiring, pick a winner.

Only downside: Size. These bad boys are really, really, really big.

Had a great time, hopefully you fellas put this on again next year. I would happily attend again.

Sandman

BTW to any attendees I was the tall guy with a red bandana.
Archaea likes this.
post #105 of 148 Old 07-27-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hey Luke, what did you use between the 2 subs to stack them? I noticed some little piece in the pictures.
post #106 of 148 Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Crickets
We had about a dozen people there, so I'm a little surprised myself on how quiet the thread has been!
post #107 of 148 Old 07-27-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen View Post
I was looking forward to hear them at all! Lol. May have to schedulea hearing next time imin Chicago. Pulse was still my favorite bass track but I still want more spl. Was hoping to push the envelope so to speak but I'll take your word Luke. As soon as thenext house is ppurchased a pair of each will be built. I'm envious. Good times. Thanks again guys. Fiancé was quite impressed as well.
About that...I wasn't as close to max as I thought...

I adjusted the gain structure for the Ghorns the day before and reduced their output across the board by -2db, and also used EQ to pull down 20-25hz because of additional gain from the new room.

When I thought we were within 1-2db, we were closer to 4-5db left...sorry!

Next time you're here i'll make sure we bring the Ghorns to their knees on Pulse.
post #108 of 148 Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I've had a very busy end to the weekend. Will likely type something up tomorrow.
post #109 of 148 Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiforce View Post
Hey Luke, what did you use between the 2 subs to stack them? I noticed some little piece in the pictures.
I bought a small foam pad from Menards for $2 and cut it into small squares to put in between the two horns.
post #110 of 148 Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness View Post
Ok, i"m going to try and make this as brief as possible. First off, thank you for hosting this event and inviting us into your home. I had a great time and learned alot.

The 215's: Oh sweet baby jesus. I showed up about 30 mins after the guys started. I could hear them bumping upstairs as soon as I walked up to the door. I figured they were demoing a sub or subs, but when I walked in Luke said it was just the 2 215's with no woofers whatsoever. Let me tell you, these are definitely a full range speaker. 99% of the population wouldn't need a sub with these, and I say that in absolute certainty. In fact, with a l/c/r the bass would be too much for 99% of the population. Just as impressive, however, were the mid and upper end. I remember the Pod Emergence scene, there's a point of glass breaking and I swear I heard all 2 million pieces of glass hit the concrete. It was really stunning. The speaker was integrated perfectly, I don't think it can be beat. Ok, overall if money were no object I would have 7 of these in my living room. Now, for the downsides.

Expensive-however, this is relative, and you don't need to buy any subs so there's alot of potential savings there.
Size-at 6 feet tall, and 215 lbs, these are no joke. They were not easy to move, especially carrying through doorways and up stairs.
Looks-This could go either way, I liked them, but I don't care about size. They had a good finish, and I think it's up to personal tastes.

Overall-Most impressive speaker I have ever heard. I have 4 15" 3 way speakers at home. I now consider them satellites, and will take no further compliments on them.

Yorkvilles: Not truly a fair comparison, as the 215's were run full range, and these were crossed over at 80hz. Even so, I liked these speakers as well. They got as loud and as I would ever want a speaker to go, and sounded great at those levels. A complete bargain, I believe Luke said he paid 1600 for the pair after shipping? (someone correct me if my memory is hazy here) They seemed to just be lacking something compared to the JTR's though. A little less depth, or less clarity, it's hard to describe. They were very clear, and really sounded fantastic, but the JTR's were just out of this world. I can't afford the JTR's, was thinking about Tempests or 1099's, but now these are definitely on the list.

Still big, still not covered in rosewood veneer, but I don't care about looks, just performance

Othor/Ghorn Combo: Unethical. It's not fair. One man doesn't deserve this much bass. We had just finished moving the 215's into Jeff's van, and heard Luke's house start to fall apart, and something crashing. You could feel bass everywhere in his house, the stove was shaking back and forth, everywhere you walked was a foot massage. In the theater room it was nuts. I wish I would have taken a volume reading (doh!) but you would be deaf in a week listening to his system on high. I really can't put into word how hard those subs pound, especially in back on the riser. His entire house was pulsating. I'd compare it to a concert or a rave, but that would be an insult to these subs. I'm building an Othorn, for sure. I was on the fence till I heard it. I was blown away how kick drums and bass drops EXPLODED out of those subs. It was unreal. The ported/sealed debate is over for me. HORNS!

If I were into movies the Ghorns would be awesome, but Luke said he almost fried a voice coil when it played alot of 50HZ stuff. If you want to cover the whole bass spectrum, one Ghorn and one Othorn would be incredible. Luke has 2 of each. It was stunning, mouth dropping, awe-inspiring, pick a winner.

Only downside: Size. These bad boys are really, really, really big.

Had a great time, hopefully you fellas put this on again next year. I would happily attend again.

Sandman

BTW to any attendees I was the tall guy with a red bandana.
I just put out a laugh at hearing all 2 million pieces of glass. That was a great way to explain it. I love the glass on my 212's, it is amazing. Looking forward to getting my 215s. Hearing stuff like this is making it harder.

To add to your Yorkville comment, a week or so ago we had a little GTG at Gorillas house and we did a little Danley SH50 and U215 comparison. I had the same exact feeling as you as the Yorkvilles we're missing something compared to the SH50s. A couple of us had the same comments that the U215's were lacking something, but really could not put a finger on what.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 07-28-2014 at 09:10 AM.
post #111 of 148 Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness View Post

I have 4 15" 3 way speakers at home. I now consider them satellites, and will take no further compliments on them.
That's a great line. Made me laugh.

Wish I could've been there. Hopefully I'll be in town next year.

I turn the sharpness on my TV all the way up, because that's how I like my picture... real sharp.
post #112 of 148 Old 07-28-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Awesome review sandydankness, thx!
post #113 of 148 Old 07-28-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I just put out a laugh at hearing all 2 million pieces of glass. That was a great way to explain it. I love the glass on my 212's, it is amazing. Looking forward to getting my 215s. Hearing stuff like this is making it harder. Good review.
Noesis 215RT vs. Yorkville U215.

Audio memory being what it is, and the long time in between switching these out, they both have similar qualities. They both do things that I have heard very very few speakers do, that is to have both midrange and treble from one common horn that controls the pattern well down low.

Klipsch Jubilee is one that does this very well: When you walk about the room off axis, the sound is cohesive, just like that from the JTR and the Yorkville.

Both the Noesis 215RT and Yorkville U215 can get louder than 'most' sane people would care to use them at, but for a larger HT these will rock your world.

The Noesis 215RT had a 16hz highpass on them, and we tossed everything we could at them, including Bass I Love You, and a few others. They took it in stride, powered by a Crest CC4000. ( correct me if I am wrong )

The Noesis was very very smooth and had great extension up high, as well as very good extension down low. This is truly a full range speaker that can satisfy most bass heads without requiring a sub.

To be fair, the U215 Yorkville had zero eq when we listened to them. The only wart I could identify was that David Gilmour's voice ( I have the DVD ) was a bit nasal and the drums in the song "Time" were pretty flat sounding. [I am quite familiar with listening to this on a number of systems and headphones.]

Othorn & Gjallerhorn...

I have heard the 21" B&C loaded Othorn before, but it was outdoors and underpowered. I own LMS5400's, but have never heard the Gjallerhorn prior.

The server room scene in the movie "Pulse" was a test of the structural integrity of the house for sure. The room was breathing, while the magnets on both of the drivers in the horn were ice cold after multiple clips and music.

The Othorn by itself is a fantastic device from 25hz+ but paired with the Gjallerhorn.... Just make sure you have enough amplifier and your are on good relations with your neighbors.

Each Othorn runs from 24 to 80 hz, and has it's own bridged Crest CC5500 amplifier, and each Gjallerhorn has it's own bridged Crest CC4000 covering the 15 to 26 hz region.

The Yorkville U215's had a smaller Crest CC2800 in stereo.

A miniDSP 8x8 handles all of the matrixing and processing for the subs and main speakers, but there was no eq on the mains other than a high pass filter, as they had just been put in the room for the GTG a day earlier, then pulled to put the JTR 215's in.

To recap: fantastic pattern control down low by both the JTR and Yorkville, resulting in smooth on and off axis performance with less early reflections and SBIR issues.

Quote of the GTG: ( Jeff Permanian, JTR Speakers ) " I like turning it up to eleven, these guys like turning it up to eighteen! "

Apologies for the poor pictures, I did not have a real camera with me and taking pictures in a dark room with a cell phone do not work well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-26 09.38.28.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	183986   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-26 10.49.39.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	183994   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-26 11.59.02.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	184002  
Archaea likes this.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #114 of 148 Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Horns !

-

post #115 of 148 Old 07-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What was the video track you played with the woman entering what looked like a server room. The sound was pulsing.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #116 of 148 Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

That movie is Pulse.
post #117 of 148 Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What a day!

Was this the first time you listened to the yorks at all? What are your impressions? How much better are the JTR215's compared to the yorks?
post #118 of 148 Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I had just set them up the day before, so really yes. Other than setting them up in a spare bedroom and turning them on for a few minutes I hadn't really heard them yet.

So far I'm really impressed with the Yorks. They have the clarity and detail that I liked in the SEOS, but with awesome mid-bass and a huge sound stage. At any level they sound great.

I got to hear the 215RTs twice now, since I heard them at dlbeck's GTG a month ago. I have no complaints about them whatsoever, but from what I've heard so far, which is all un-EQ'd and with no room treatments, I haven't heard anything from the JTR's that made me think "wow, these are better than the yorks" from 80hz an up.

Now, with good acoustics, proper EQ, and a side-by-side comparison, I may definitely prefer one over the other, but I haven't had that opportunity yet. Maybe next year when I have all the acoustic treatments installed throughout my room.
post #119 of 148 Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had just set them up the day before, so really yes. Other than setting them up in a spare bedroom and turning them on for a few minutes I hadn't really heard them yet.

So far I'm really impressed with the Yorks. They have the clarity and detail that I liked in the SEOS, but with awesome mid-bass and a huge sound stage. At any level they sound great.

I got to hear the 215RTs twice now, since I heard them at dlbeck's GTG a month ago. I have no complaints about them whatsoever, but from what I've heard so far, which is all un-EQ'd and with no room treatments, I haven't heard anything from the JTR's that made me think "wow, these are better than the yorks" from 80hz an up.

Now, with good acoustics, proper EQ, and a side-by-side comparison, I may definitely prefer one over the other, but I haven't had that opportunity yet. Maybe next year when I have all the acoustic treatments installed throughout my room.
Great info, thanks!

The yorks are likely my next speakers.
post #120 of 148 Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hello Fellow Minnesotans! We are having meet-up to listen to Multiple DALI Speakers in a Shootout Event at 5:30PM August 1st in Columbia Heights MN.
One of my customers wanted to have it in his home (username DR_Mark). I'll be buying some pizza and drinks for the event.

We will be listening to the DALI Epicon 6's ($13,995), the brand new Rubicon 8's ($7,995), and the Helicon 300MKII ($3,995). These are all current models. Additionally, a customer of mine brought his DALI Euphonia MS-4's ($9,000) to the event so we can compare in contrast it to previous reference models. If you have never heard the incredible DALI sound, now is your chance!

The DALI importer will be flying in to attend the event and promises to bring some more toys including the new Rubicon LCR onwall ($1,695 ea).

Some additional speakers will be present as well including the GoldenEar Triton 7's. Do you want to hear how your speakers compare? Well then bring them to the event!

While we are at it, we will be comparing the sound quality difference between the Marantz AV8801 and some DAC's with built in digital volume controls (PS Audio and Bel Canto). I hear a definite difference. But let your ears decide.

Additionally we will be swapping out power cords, interconnects, and other "tweaks". Judge for yourself if you hear any differences.

The evening was designed to have fun and share information. I wanted to open it up to anyone in the WI and MN area that wants to hear differences with their own ears. We have 12+ attending. Please PM me or DR_Mark for the event address. Hope to see you there!

Steve with Sound Video in MN 612-308-7736 cell
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page