Upper Midwest summer 2014 GTG? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #121 of 148 Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sorry for the late response to all, I just got home from my extended vacation in the Twin Cities.

Thanks Luke for hosting! And Dustin for helping with the coordinating! I had a lot of fun and hope to make it to other gatherings in the future. It was also great visiting with all that were able to attend. I had a lot of questions answered and learned a lot from many of you.

Couple of items to note. We didn't run a ton of different set-ups, nor did we spend time doing any A/B comparisons. This was a session mainly to listen to 2 separate set-ups (Full Range 215RT's vs U215's w/ insane subs). The room was not treated, nor was the system EQ'ed. The room did not lack bass in any 1 seat, although the hot seats were along the rear wall, but more so in the rear left. Although the front row was not the hot seat, the couch had a lot of tactile movement, even sitting on carpet over concrete. The ceiling is still unfinished, I think if there were any sources of noise, the 1 or 2 spots were identified and Luke is on it to secure before the ceiling goes up. I was very impressed with the work he had done to tape up and secure the light cans and HVAC from shaking. There was no unwanted noise whatsoever that I recall, unless running the Pulse scene at reference on either set up. It is amazing on how far Luke's place has come since I last visited Jan '13. He was running his 4 sealed LMS Ultra 18's at that time, and I recall thinking, nothing can get better than this. He has since moved his theater into the adjacent space that is shaping up well. Carpet was installed just before we got there. One really cool feature that Luke had done to his rack was the XLR patch panel that he had soldered connections to from his minidsp. Switching out the speakers was just a matter of seconds, if you don't count the actually heavy lifting part of those 215HT's.

JTR 215RT:
The JTR's were already hooked up and playing when I got there shortly after 10am, and Luke was starting off with some music. Like others have said, I was convinced that the subs were running till Luke told me otherwise. We spent a bit of time running through various clips and Luke was open to any and all requests. It wasn't long before I opted for ear plugs, as I could tell that we were really going to be giving these setups a good workout. I have read from many postings on how impactful the Pulse scene is, as well as the Open Range gun fight scene, which were my favorite 2 clips that were played during the session. Specifically, the Pulse scene definitely pulsed inside the room. I had ear plugs in, but my whole body was pulsing with the JTR's, it was really amazing. Another fun clip was a drum solo from a Cream Blu-Ray that provided plenty of room shaking bass that was replayed for those that came later. I will agree with others, no sub is needed if you own these JTR's. I own T8HT-LP's and am a big fan, so I was very excited to hear these mains. I helped Jeff carry these 2 speakers out of the listening room so that the York's could be hooked up. These things are heavy! I was not on the crew that carried them up the stairs, but at least they had 4 guys per speaker.

Yorkville U215 w/ dual ghallarhorns & dual othorns:
I can not give direct feedback on the York's vs JTR's, Luke's subs are just plain ridiculous! The Yorks had the aid of the subs, while the JTR's ran full-range. Any and all that belong to AVS would envy this if they ever had a chance to hear this Yorkville set up with his wall of subs. Weird thing, I thought that the subs were the wall at first - the room is darkened and the tv and speakers were in front of the wall of subs, and they take up roughly 3' from the front wall (not small..). You could definitely feel a lot more bass with these subs running. The same Pulse server room made you feel nauseous, absolutely insane that speakers/subs can do this to you. The Yorks in the higher frequencies were very clear and full, just as the JTR's. I can't get very scientific in describing them, all I can say is that they sounded amazing. Neither set up are your "normal" person's set up. But, I don't think any of us are "normal".

I am again thinking, over 1 year later from my first visit to Luke's, how can you get better than this.. Can't wait till I can attend another GTG!
Archaea, Reddig and lukeamdman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 148 Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Here are some videos from the event. It takes an insane amount of SPL to distort a mic like this from 20 feet away, so I hope this lends some gravity to the situation.

Last but not least- the violence inside both horns!

Reddig and lukeamdman like this.

Last edited by stormwind13; 07-30-2014 at 07:44 PM.
post #123 of 148 Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Awesome videos!!

Did you guys or Jeff run the bass hot with the 215's or were they flat? It may have been posted about and I missed it, just wondering if any eq device was used to boost the bass.

Luke, after hearing 2 G-Horns at Doug's last week I have to think you have one of the best bass setups on the planet. I was thouroughly impressed with them and I fully realize that the Othorns are even more impressive/fun (I think I've seen you post that) since they cover the bass that really punches the chest and beats the hell out of you.

I'm curious about the Othorns. As a point of reference (since I'm familiar with the OS's) how do they compare? My guess is they don't go as low but what I don't know is how they compare output wise? Would they be more similar to a Orbit Shifter pro? Twice the output of an OS but don't go as low?

thanks!
post #124 of 148 Old 07-31-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Yeah exactly. The ohorns are tuned higher and go louder, have a better mid bass than ghorn. Ghorn is better lower but has some ringing up top so yeah... Crossing from ghorn to ohorn is just plain nuts! I'd love to hear it too!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #125 of 148 Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness View Post
Ok, i"m going to try and make this as brief as possible. First off, thank you for hosting this event and inviting us into your home. I had a great time and learned alot.

The 215's: Oh sweet baby jesus. I showed up about 30 mins after the guys started. I could hear them bumping upstairs as soon as I walked up to the door. I figured they were demoing a sub or subs, but when I walked in Luke said it was just the 2 215's with no woofers whatsoever. Let me tell you, these are definitely a full range speaker. 99% of the population wouldn't need a sub with these, and I say that in absolute certainty. In fact, with a l/c/r the bass would be too much for 99% of the population. Just as impressive, however, were the mid and upper end. I remember the Pod Emergence scene, there's a point of glass breaking and I swear I heard all 2 million pieces of glass hit the concrete. It was really stunning. The speaker was integrated perfectly, I don't think it can be beat. Ok, overall if money were no object I would have 7 of these in my living room. Now, for the downsides.

Expensive-however, this is relative, and you don't need to buy any subs so there's alot of potential savings there.
Size-at 6 feet tall, and 215 lbs, these are no joke. They were not easy to move, especially carrying through doorways and up stairs.
Looks-This could go either way, I liked them, but I don't care about size. They had a good finish, and I think it's up to personal tastes.

Overall-Most impressive speaker I have ever heard. I have 4 15" 3 way speakers at home. I now consider them satellites, and will take no further compliments on them.

Yorkvilles: Not truly a fair comparison, as the 215's were run full range, and these were crossed over at 80hz. Even so, I liked these speakers as well. They got as loud and as I would ever want a speaker to go, and sounded great at those levels. A complete bargain, I believe Luke said he paid 1600 for the pair after shipping? (someone correct me if my memory is hazy here) They seemed to just be lacking something compared to the JTR's though. A little less depth, or less clarity, it's hard to describe. They were very clear, and really sounded fantastic, but the JTR's were just out of this world. I can't afford the JTR's, was thinking about Tempests or 1099's, but now these are definitely on the list.

Still big, still not covered in rosewood veneer, but I don't care about looks, just performance

Othor/Ghorn Combo: Unethical. It's not fair. One man doesn't deserve this much bass. We had just finished moving the 215's into Jeff's van, and heard Luke's house start to fall apart, and something crashing. You could feel bass everywhere in his house, the stove was shaking back and forth, everywhere you walked was a foot massage. In the theater room it was nuts. I wish I would have taken a volume reading (doh!) but you would be deaf in a week listening to his system on high. I really can't put into word how hard those subs pound, especially in back on the riser. His entire house was pulsating. I'd compare it to a concert or a rave, but that would be an insult to these subs. I'm building an Othorn, for sure. I was on the fence till I heard it. I was blown away how kick drums and bass drops EXPLODED out of those subs. It was unreal. The ported/sealed debate is over for me. HORNS!

If I were into movies the Ghorns would be awesome, but Luke said he almost fried a voice coil when it played alot of 50HZ stuff. If you want to cover the whole bass spectrum, one Ghorn and one Othorn would be incredible. Luke has 2 of each. It was stunning, mouth dropping, awe-inspiring, pick a winner.

Only downside: Size. These bad boys are really, really, really big.

Had a great time, hopefully you fellas put this on again next year. I would happily attend again.

Sandman

BTW to any attendees I was the tall guy with a red bandana.

Great review!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #126 of 148 Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Did the HSU VTF-15H get some playtime?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #127 of 148 Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Did the HSU VTF-15H get some playtime?
Originally we were going to have one there, but we decided to keep the equipment list to a minimum so we had as much time as we wanted with the JTRs.
post #128 of 148 Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Awesome videos!!

Did you guys or Jeff run the bass hot with the 215's or were they flat? It may have been posted about and I missed it, just wondering if any eq device was used to boost the bass.

Luke, after hearing 2 G-Horns at Doug's last week I have to think you have one of the best bass setups on the planet. I was thouroughly impressed with them and I fully realize that the Othorns are even more impressive/fun (I think I've seen you post that) since they cover the bass that really punches the chest and beats the hell out of you.

I'm curious about the Othorns. As a point of reference (since I'm familiar with the OS's) how do they compare? My guess is they don't go as low but what I don't know is how they compare output wise? Would they be more similar to a Orbit Shifter pro? Twice the output of an OS but don't go as low?

thanks!
We were mixing the ULF channel with the 215RT's using my miniDSP 8x8. For the most part I think were about 10db hot the whole time.

There was only 1 or 2 points throughout the whole day where the JTRs were over-driven for bass, and it was very brief/slight. I kept a close eye on excursion since I didn't want to blow something up. The 25hz region is where I had to use caution, since below that you enter into the cabinet tuning and excursion decreases.

As for a OS/Othorn comparison, the OS does play lower since it has a lower tune, but I'd probably give the edge in output from 25hz and up to the Othorn.

What would be really really fun is comparing the OS pro to the Othorn. From what I've gathered, the OS pro doesn't have much output below 30hz, but from 35hz and up it's a beast.

For next years GTG I need to somehow convince Jeff to bring a few OS pros
post #129 of 148 Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Orthorn has a 21" driver right? Seems like the Orbit Shifter with its 18" driver would get beat in that roundup? But I don't know how the two drivers compare.

Who's making the first horn with the 24" SI driver?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #130 of 148 Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Orthorn has a 21" driver right? Seems like the Orbit Shifter with its 18" driver would get beat in that roundup? But I don't know how the two drivers compare.

Who's making the first horn with the 24" SI driver?
Yes, the B&C 21sw152.

The 24" in a horn has been brought up quite a bit, but the motor strength to diaphragm ratio is MUCH too low. Similar to how the RE XXX 18" would never work in a horn because of it's low motor force.
post #131 of 148 Old 07-31-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
We were mixing the ULF channel with the 215RT's using my miniDSP 8x8. For the most part I think were about 10db hot the whole time.

There was only 1 or 2 points throughout the whole day where the JTRs were over-driven for bass, and it was very brief/slight. I kept a close eye on excursion since I didn't want to blow something up. The 25hz region is where I had to use caution, since below that you enter into the cabinet tuning and excursion decreases.

As for a OS/Othorn comparison, the OS does play lower since it has a lower tune, but I'd probably give the edge in output from 25hz and up to the Othorn.

What would be really really fun is comparing the OS pro to the Othorn. From what I've gathered, the OS pro doesn't have much output below 30hz, but from 35hz and up it's a beast.

For next years GTG I need to somehow convince Jeff to bring a few OS pros

Yeah, that would be a hell of a comparison! Wow, 21 inch driver on the Othorn!! I didn't know that.

Hmmm Luke, do you think I should be using a 25hz HPF on the 215's then? I am currently using a 20hz but the only way I can get them to blend with my sealed subs is to use a 12 db slope (BW) which I know is pretty shallow.
post #132 of 148 Old 07-31-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, that would be a hell of a comparison! Wow, 21 inch driver on the Othorn!! I didn't know that.

Hmmm Luke, do you think I should be using a 25hz HPF on the 215's then? I am currently using a 20hz but the only way I can get them to blend with my sealed subs is to use a 12 db slope (BW) which I know is pretty shallow.
Ummm...you're running your 215's down to 20hz WITH your 8 sealed subs?
post #133 of 148 Old 07-31-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Ummm...you're running your 215's down to 20hz WITH your 8 sealed subs?
I don't use the subs at all for music unless I'm playing around or want to go crazy. For movies, yes I have been using it this way.

I've got them blended pretty well I think:

Black line is 215's with no subs
Blue line is subs with 215's crossed at 80hz
Red line is 215's Large + Subs

My AVR starts rolling off pretty bad as I get close to 10hz but I don't really care about that.
post #134 of 148 Old 07-31-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't use the subs at all for music unless I'm playing around or want to go crazy. For movies, yes I have been using it this way.

I've got them blended pretty well I think:

Black line is 215's with no subs
Blue line is subs with 215's crossed at 80hz
Red line is 215's Large + Subs

My AVR starts rolling off pretty bad as I get close to 10hz but I don't really care about that.
A 20hz 12db BW should reduce 25hz by 1-2db. I guess if you wanted to play it a little more safe you could bump it up to 22-24hz, but if you're not over-driving them as it sits now I wouldn't bee too worried.
post #135 of 148 Old 08-02-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is there any way to get my hands on a copy of that Movie clip disc that we used at the GTG? I would love it if possible.
post #136 of 148 Old 08-02-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What movie is it ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #137 of 148 Old 08-02-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
What movie is it ?

Luke used a demo disc. Not sure who made it, but it was more current than the ones that are available in the HT forum (AFAIK). It had some newer(ish) clips from movies that I hadn't seen before, as well as all the classic bass clips.
post #138 of 148 Old 08-02-2014, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's a demo blu ray that Alex put together for last years GTG.
post #139 of 148 Old 08-04-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Real great read! Thanks to all who have left feedback. It's always fun reading impressions. Was wondering if there's an 18" version of the Othorn?

JBL Pro Cinema
post #140 of 148 Old 08-04-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It can be used with the TC sounds pro5100 if I remember correctly.
Reddig likes this.
post #141 of 148 Old 08-04-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Thanks Storm.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #142 of 148 Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Does the LAB15 work ?

-

post #143 of 148 Old 08-05-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Does the LAB15 work ?

As far as I know, the b&c and the pro5100 are the only 2 that have been modeled in the horn.
post #144 of 148 Old 08-05-2014, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post
Here are some videos from the event. It takes an insane amount of SPL to distort a mic like this from 20 feet away, so I hope this lends some gravity to the situation.

Last but not least- the violence inside both horns!

http://youtu.be/bJIBZVSwdQc
What are the concerts in those videos?
post #145 of 148 Old 08-06-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Cream blu ray live @ royal albert hall

David Gilmour blu ray live @ royal albert hall - I think it's called remember this night.
post #146 of 148 Old 08-06-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, I finally have a few minutes to do a write up on the GTG.

JTR 215RT-
These really put the term reference into perspective. This is the benchmark in high end home audio in my opinion. Never have I ever heard a pair of speakers capable of pressurizing a room until now. What this pair of speakers does bass-wise with 4 15 inch drivers is nothing short of amazing. The compression driver performs wonderfully. It all just comes together in a great way. Yes they are massive and heavy- but given what they can do, a wife veto should definitely be overridden. I think these speakers changed a lot of minds that day on what is considered high end.

Yorkville U-215
Like others have said before, it was not really a fair comparison. The yorks were being crossed whereas the JTRs were not. That being said, I'm fairly certain they would be destroyed running full range vs the JTR. The way they were ran, I thought they sounded very crisp especially considering no EQ was applied. This GTG has me considering abandoning my long term setup (3 klipsch klf-30) in pursuit of the yorks. I have heard these running full range at Luke's once before- 1 at a time, in a bedroom where they were sitting while the theater room was being remodeled. They were being run direct, no EQ applied, and on the floor. They have a ton of midbass, too much in fact and definitely need some EQ if run full range. In the HF dept, I felt they were toe to toe with the JTRs.

2x gjallarhorn and 2x othorn.
Where to start with these? Anyone that has been to a GTG with me before knows that I have a very high tolerance for bass. Last years GTG with the same subs being ran on the clone amps- I had my head in the gjallarhorn recording video when they were running at fairly high volume. This year, with the change in amps. I was for the first time practically forced to wear earplugs. Luke melted my face off the night before the GTG with the cream blu-ray. The drum solo in "toad" kicks you right in the face with those subs. The messed up thing, is even at the extreme levels we were running them at- there was still headroom on the table. My ears could not take any more. The bass was clean and prodigious through all frequencies. I am slowly working towards rotating my setup to emulate this one, because quite simply- It's the benchmark in home theater.

The day- as usual these are somewhat of a pain to set up, but each year we do it- we learn more on what and what not to do. Last year's was low attendance mainly due to the date it was held. We had a lot of backouts at the last second. This year, attendance was much higher and we had a great time. We will likely look to do this again next summer. I will likely start a feeler thread in the coming months.
post #147 of 148 Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I had fun reading all the reviews. Thanks everyone for posting!

A big thanks to Dustin for all the threads and PMs he created to promote the GTG again this year, as well as all the followup and coordination of all the people who attended. There's no way this would have happened this year without him.

And thank you Jeff for bringing those amazing towers! I don't think there was anyone there who wasn't completely surprised and impressed with their performance.

Looking forward to next year!
post #148 of 148 Old 10-10-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page