AVS Forum banner

Houston Area GTG - Summer 2014

8K views 136 replies 27 participants last post by  conanb 
#1 ·

I think all that attended the Houston meet in February had a great time.  I know I had a blast.  Thanks again to jautor for hosting!  There has been talk of doing another one and I wanted to gauge the interest from the group on a time and place.

I just finished my room last weekend and will throw my name in the hat to host. I would also be open to any others that want to host the event.  I know Houston is a big town and we will be coming from all over.  I live in League City on the SE side of town.

What timing works for everyone for the next GTG?  I bet the dance card for most of us is already full for May.  Is June, July or August any better? 

Do we want to do this as a regular event going forward?  We could do a 1st of year mid year kind of thing.  Or more or less often?

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and getting together soon.

Ron

See less See more
#30 ·
I live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area but would love to try an come down sometime. Probably not going to happen this year since I have two little ones but maybe next year if you guys plan on doing it again. Sounds like the host this year has a Seaton setup which I would love to hear. I just ordered one CAT 8 for my center channel but plan on getting a full setup over time if the CAT 8 works out.

#33 ·
Ok gang I am back online. I have a huge golf tournament that my family hosts every year and it was this past weekend. Things are finally getting back to normal now.

I have been talking with Mark Seaton about days that he may be able to come down to H-town. I should know his schedule fairly soon. It will most likely be in August.

I would love to have him come down and other have expressed interest as well. I will let you know as soon as I hear back from him.

I am really looking forward to the GTG and seeing everybody!!!

Ron

#34 ·
Sweet!!!! August is perfect because I have to have Lasik surgery this month and don't want to take the chance of missing the GTG. I would probably reschedule the surgery if I had to. I read your post in your build thread and I am glad you guys had a great time. To me that would be fun! I bet everybody was impressed with your build and high-end equipment!

Looking forward to it!

#35 ·
Hey fellas!

I'm in town with my dad who's over at md anderson. We're trying to find something to do around here (this weekend and maybe next week depending on appointments) and wondered if anyone could recommend any HT stores we could check out and/or even if anyone would be interested in showing off their own HT.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎

#37 ·
We really don't have that great store here. We have two Modia locations if you're just killing time.

If my room wasn't down right now, I'd have you over. I'm changing a few things and I doubt I'll get it back up by the weekend with my schedule.

It's under the build section under 'college park 4k cinema'

Maybe one if the others will chime in and invite you over.

#39 ·
I've not been to caveman but if you go, let me know your thoughts.

I have been to signature just off 249. They don't have a lot but it's attached to a billiards factory. They have a lot of game room type stuff. You might enjoy the whole thing but not sure signature alone will excite you.

You'd think a city this size would have some great places. It seems like it's all custom install and special order business here. I miss the old mom and pop shops where you could go demo things. Some of the nicer Best Buys have the Magnolia stores in them. I have one by me in the woodlands. There's some nice toys there if you want to look those locations up. Some 4k demos with b&w, control4, Kaleidescape, etc.

#41 ·
Unfortunately, Atlanta's the same way. Very few specialty stores left.

We went up to Caveman...'nuff said. It's in a little complex that looks like garage doors with a regular door next to it. Can't be big since we drove right by it the first time despite a big a$$ truck with Caveman painted on the side. Door was locked, called and got a voicemail that never mentioned Caveman so we just moved on. Here's some pics...

Decided to try one more and went to Signature Home Theater. Much nicer!
People were home, the owner, Jonathan, was very nice a helpful as well as very knowledgeable about his products. We listened to some $10k Sonus Fabers that sounded pretty great. Had a couple of demo tracks that expose a bright tweeter and it's soft domes passed with no problem. Full sound all the way through the spectrum and beautiful cabinets.
The new psb x series towers sounded really nice too.
Highly recommend this place from my brief experience with them.

#42 ·
I've dealt with both with Signature the company, and with several of their folks (from their previous stints at Tweeter and formerly Home Entertainment). Bought my current ML Vantage units from Dwayne there... Good folks, and yeah, probably the best "showroom" around - but still nowhere close to what we would expect from a city this size (although it seems to reflect the state of AV sales these days).

Jeff

#43 ·
I've dealt with both with Signature the company, and with several of their folks (from their previous stints at Tweeter and formerly Home Entertainment). Bought my current ML Vantage units from Dwayne there... Good folks, and yeah, probably the best "showroom" around - but still nowhere close to what we would expect from a city this size (although it seems to reflect the state of AV sales these days).

Jeff

Yeah good folks for sure. Man, I really miss HIFI Buys (Tweeter) too. Spent many hours there over the years waiting on them to install this or that in my cars. At least I had the HT rooms to lounge in and watch movies while they were working.

I forgot to mention...Signature's owner, Jonathan, said he was recently at David Wilson's house (Wilson Audio). He said David had a room with a bunch of tone arms that he would switch between when trying to get just the right sound when he does some of his recordings. Along with amps etc I'm sure. Said it was kinda crazy, BUT Signature will soon be the first Wilson Audio dealer in Texas in about 30yrs, so that should be exciting for those wanting to here some soon[emoji106]

#44 ·
Happy Hour?

Well, i obviously missed the boat for the meet-up...extremely bummed. I used to live in Pearland and had a nice set-up, but we've sold that house, moved in temporarily into the Timbergrove area, and waiting for our house to be built on the north side (Spring area...Bender's Landing Estates).

We're still meeting with the architect over the next few weeks to finalize plans but I would LOVE to unleash the combined expertise and creativity of the Houston AVS community on my new house and home automation, comm. closet, whole home a/v, etc. Career IT guy here so technology and technical discussion is not an issue...quite welcome in fact.

Just throwing it out there, but is anyone interested/available for an impromptu happy hour some time next week? I'd happily host at my place but it's nothing special now (patio home) and no theater room, but plenty of cold beer and any other refreshments you guys want. I'm happy to meet at some bar or at my house (or any other), just name it.

In the interest of getting quick consensus i'll just throw a place out there, but i'm completely open to anything if there's a better idea. How about El Tiempo (on Washington) @ 5 p.m. on Thursday (7/31)?

#45 ·
OK Houston, I think it is time to set a day for launch. I have been talking to several folks and trying to work on scheduling convenient times for everyone. We also have to work around home Texan home games (Yeah!!!) So let's pick a date and roll with it!

I propose Saturday Aug 23rd. I am open to suggestions on starting times.

As far as format goes I will borrow from dlbeck's AWESOME GTG.
We can have multiple groups with (3) Acts (Intro and construction, 2 channel demos & video demo's)
We will bring in some barbeque from a local place that is great.
When not in the room people can eat and chat.

I am working on getting a couple of subject matter experts here as well.

PLEASE give some feedback on the following:

Confirm the 8/23 is OK and suggestions for starting time
Ideas for topics & format
Ideas from other GTG you have been to

Let's have a GREAT turnout!

Ron

#55 ·
Good responses so far guys, keep them coming. Bummed that a couple of folks can't make it.

A questions for the group. I was thinking about having some subject matter experts come as well. Would any of these add any value or can you think of other sources of info.

A buddy that works at Magnolia
Houston area installer & product guy
Trim carpenter
Lutron expert

Give me your thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.