Houston Area GTG - Summer 2014 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

Old 08-16-2014, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone. Been a long time reader here and follow several of your build threads. I recently moved to the Woodlands area from Pearland and would enjoy meeting the Houston folks with similar obsessions. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShep View Post
Hey everyone. Been a long time reader here and follow several of your build threads. I recently moved to the Woodlands area from Pearland and would enjoy meeting the Houston folks with similar obsessions. Thanks!

The question is...how obsessed are you? just kidding. I agree, it is really hard for me to talk to people that are not crazy about home theater like I am. I feel like when I tell them something that they just are agreeing and really have no clue what I am talking about or do not understand why it is suppose to be that way. It was crazy at the last GTG at Jeff's house that everybody was on board with each other. I was in social heaven lmao.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Old 08-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Thanks, Pain. Totally agree about the glazed over look from friends and family. Am I obsessed, yes...do I have adequate time for that obsession, not lately. Although in my previous home I did manage to convert a 12x12 bedroom into my HT, complete with 96" diy blackout cloth screen, 5.1 + heights, trayed ceiling w/rope lighting, sconces, and row of motorized theater seats as a gift from my wife (so she's on board, too). Now I have an 11x20 room aching for similar attention, so the planning phase is in full swing.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I was going to ask what you had going on right now but you just answered it. Whenever you start to construct your theater make a thread so we can follow and get help if needed.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 72
OK gang we are less than a week away and I am looking forward to everyone getting together next Saturday. We have kicked around a starting time but we need to lock one down. Does 5:00pm work for everyone? I figured that would give the guys that have kiddo stuff earlier in the day some more time. I live in League City so you can plan your trip time. Let me know what time works for everyone.

Also, all of the wives, girlfriends and friends are welcome to come as well.
My wife will be there. She may sponsor a support group for the ladies of our lives with the following topics:

"Hi my name is Kim and my husband is a Home Theater junkie".
What is 5hz and why do I care?
What is reference and why is it so loud?

I will order some barbeque from a great local joint. Please respond with a yes or no and how many you will have in attendance.

See ya soon!

Ron

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610

Last edited by avtexan; 08-17-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to it! I'm sure you got my earlier message of my wife and I attending.
avtexan likes this.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can attend.
avtexan likes this.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:52 PM

Liked: 13
Hey guys, sadly I will be unable to attend. I need to catch up on some remodeling projects this weekend as we are trying to have the house ready by October. Have an awesome time. Hopefully I can see your theater another time, Ron.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:53 PM

Liked: 16
I plan to attend. 5 p.m. is fine.
avtexan likes this.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridulent View Post
Hey guys, sadly I will be unable to attend. I need to catch up on some remodeling projects this weekend as we are trying to have the house ready by October. Have an awesome time. Hopefully I can see your theater another time, Ron.
You having a gtg in October?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
You having a gtg in October?
Haha, I might be able to start work on the theater in October. Trying to finish out all the downstairs and the stairs first. I know if I start on the theater, nothing else will get done and once it is finished.. nothing else will get done.
mike1812 likes this.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:18 AM

Liked: 11
Don,

I have been a AVS forum member for several years but have not been on the site for quite a while. I received a link to this thread from a fellow forum member 'CONANb'. I would love to attend your GTG and have an opportunity to see your theater. I live in the Woodlands and noticed a few thread replies from this area. If anyone from the North side of Houston is attending and would like to consider a carpool, let me know. It is a far piece from here to League City.

Best regards,

John

John Dixon
Old 08-19-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-NUT-99 View Post
Don,

I have been a AVS forum member for several years but have not been on the site for quite a while. I received a link to this thread from a fellow forum member 'CONANb'. I would love to attend your GTG and have an opportunity to see your theater. I live in the Woodlands and noticed a few thread replies from this area. If anyone from the North side of Houston is attending and would like to consider a carpool, let me know. It is a far piece from here to League City.

Best regards,

John
You are welcome to carpool with us who will be leaving from Sugar Land.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys are not even close to each other.

- Leon Phelps
Old 08-19-2014, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 67
We can maybe work something out. I'm 95% sure I'm going but I'm still working through the details. I'm in the college park area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-NUT-99 View Post
Don,

Best regards,

John
Old 08-20-2014, 07:45 AM

Thanks conandb, but like pain said, by the time I get to Sugarland, I would almost be to League City. But I understand where you are coming from, and I appreciate the offer.http://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

7channelfreak; PM sent.

John Dixon
Old 08-21-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post
OK gang we are less than a week away and I am looking forward to everyone getting together next Saturday. We have kicked around a starting time but we need to lock one down. Does 5:00pm work for everyone? I figured that would give the guys that have kiddo stuff earlier in the day some more time. I live in League City so you can plan your trip time. Let me know what time works for everyone.

Also, all of the wives, girlfriends and friends are welcome to come as well.
My wife will be there. She may sponsor a support group for the ladies of our lives with the following topics:

"Hi my name is Kim and my husband is a Home Theater junkie".
What is 5hz and why do I care?
What is reference and why is it so loud?

I will order some barbeque from a great local joint. Please respond with a yes or no and how many you will have in attendance.

See ya soon!

Ron
Hey avtexan I'm really sorry but since my last post I have been booked for a fantasy football draft at 4 pm, and then a bachelor party after that. I'm really bummed that I can make it to this meetup, I had a good time at the last one.

I'll keep my eye on this sub-forum for future meet ups, maybe one of these days my home theater will be worth a meet up, but for today, my 10.5' X 15' room with very humble equipment probably wouldnt attract too much attention on here (especially after what I saw at jautor's!!)

I am sorry to back out so late, but I cant make it to this GTG. Next time, for sure I will clear my schedule!!

I hope everyone has a good time!
Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

I'm looking forward to seeing your room again. Is there anything we need to bring or help with?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

I think we are in good shape. Bring any demo materials you want to watch or listen to. It should be fun!

Old 08-23-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
<p>I think all that attended the Houston meet in February had a great time.  I know I had a blast.  Thanks again to jautor for hosting!  There has been talk of doing another one and I wanted to gauge the interest from the group on a time and place.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I just finished my room last weekend and will throw my name in the hat to host. I would also be open to any others that want to host the event.  I know Houston is a big town and we will be coming from all over.  I live in League City on the SE side of town.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What timing works for everyone for the next GTG?  I bet the dance card for most of us is already full for May.  Is June, July or August any better? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Do we want to do this as a regular event going forward?  We could do a 1st of year mid year kind of thing.  Or more or less often?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and getting together soon.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ron</p>
Ron,

I would like to attend your meeting. I live in League City. I had tried through the HAS Yahoo account to get your address.

Ed Memi
Old 08-23-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Houston View Post
Ron,

I would like to attend your meeting. I live in League City. I had tried through the HAS Yahoo account to get your address.

Ed Memi

Ed,

I sent you a PM with the details. I am glad you can make it. I am happy we have at least one person on my side of town!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you AV Texan for a great meet!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks AVTexan for hosting a GTG! For those of you that couldn't make it last night, you really missed out!

My thoughts on the theater:
Excellent sound quality. I have never heard Triad golds and the Seaton submersive before last and was anticipating them for a long time. The suspense was killing me lmao. I must say that they did not disappoint and they were calibrated great! They sound great at reference level too! No matter where I was in the theater it sound great and there was good sub response. Movies and music both sounded awesome and even music at very low levels was really amazing as well. I really pay attention to that for some odd reason. Video was great too. I am not a videophile by any means but what I saw looked great to me. The theater is gorgeous and the wiring is done so well that any OCD or anal person would take notes for perfection. I can tell it took a long time just to get the wiring and build plans in order.

Ron, your wife is ultra cool and my wife loved hanging out with her. You guys showed great hospitality and she made sure that everybody was good on drinks and food. I hope that Jeff and us were not keeping you up too late. We joked about how we were the people that would not leave as we were walking to our cars.
So far in Houston we have had two awesome GTG's with two fantastic theaters. I hope this trend continues!

- Leon Phelps
Old 08-24-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Thank you AV Texan for a great meet!

Thanks! We had a blast. Does this put you on the clock for the next GTG?

Old 08-24-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Thanks AVTexan for hosting a GTG! For those of you that couldn't make it last night, you really missed out!

My thoughts on the theater:
Excellent sound quality. I have never heard Triad golds and the Seaton submersive before last and was anticipating them for a long time. The suspense was killing me lmao. I must say that they did not disappoint and they were calibrated great! They sound great at reference level too! No matter where I was in the theater it sound great and there was good sub response. Movies and music both sounded awesome and even music at very low levels was really amazing as well. I really pay attention to that for some odd reason. Video was great too. I am not a videophile by any means but what I saw looked great to me. The theater is gorgeous and the wiring is done so well that any OCD or anal person would take notes for perfection. I can tell it took a long time just to get the wiring and build plans in order.

Ron, your wife is ultra cool and my wife loved hanging out with her. You guys showed great hospitality and she made sure that everybody was good on drinks and food. I hope that Jeff and us were not keeping you up too late. We joked about how we were the people that would not leave as we were walking to our cars.
So far in Houston we have had two awesome GTG's with two fantastic theaters. I hope this trend continues!

Thanks for the compliments on the theater. I could not have finished it without the help of so many forum members.

I am glad you guys had fun. Kim and I enjoyed ourselves as well. We look forward to the next one.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who attended the Houston GTG last night. Kim and I had a blast. I thought there was some good discussion to go with lots of movies and music. We look forward to seeing you guys at the next one!

Ron & Kim

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Group Pic.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	227321  

Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! We had a blast. Does this put you on the clock for the next GTG?
Well...I have a few things I'm wanting to do with the room first. I need a few questions answered at Cedia next month and then I'll have a better finished timeline.

But I know AV Nut was open to hosting the next event and we have several rooms that are finished now, so hopefully we can get one more in this fall as I doubt I'll be ready in the next few months if moving to Atmos. The new AVR I'm looking at has a January release date.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:00 PM

Really sorry I couldn't make it out there last night and meet everyone like originally intended, but it sounds like avtexan hosted a great event! Hopefully my schedule will be more forgiving for the next gtg...heck, I'll even bring the drinks!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Well...I have a few things I'm wanting to do with the room first. I need a few questions answered at Cedia next month and then I'll have a better finished timeline.

But I know AV Nut was open to hosting the next event and we have several rooms that are finished now, so hopefully we can get one more in this fall as I doubt I'll be ready in the next few months if moving to Atmos. The new AVR I'm looking at has a January release date.

Who? Spaceman?
Old 08-24-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who attended the Houston GTG last night. Kim and I had a blast. I thought there was some good discussion to go with lots of movies and music. We look forward to seeing you guys at the next one!
Kim & Ron - thanks for hosting! It was a great time, even if Pain and I didn't have a chance to make some long distance calls...

https://vk.com/video-37271784_166600582

Your room definitely makes me want to turn up my subs some more! The Underworld demo with your setup is just plain sick. Bunch of fun!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht