NC/SC General HT Chat Area and G2G Planning - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 154Likes

post #691 of 705 Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4147 Post(s)
Liked: 3504
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I'm not too far away, in Mooresville, and have the RS400. Other than improved lag if you're into gaming, and a different HDR setup (with the custom curves I have installed, the RS420 doesn't provide anything better for HDR), the RS420 is basically the same as the RS400. You're welcome to head out if you'd like. PM me if you're interested.

Don
Don,

How are you liking those new custom curves? They appear to be a game changer!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 705 Old 07-20-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Don,

How are you liking those new custom curves? They appear to be a game changer!
They make all the difference in the world. Gamma D, even with JVC's suggested tweaks, is basically a non-starter. In fact, I was about to abandon HDR, and bought Craig Peer's HDFury Integral, to convert HDR to SDR/BT2020, a couple of days before the custom curve approach hit the forums!

I used the Integral initially, but once I learned how to create a custom curve, for my particular room, it became irrelevant. I ended up selling it shortly afterwards.

So I'm now able to happily watch HDR content without any issues. All that said, while there is improvement going from a well-made Blu-ray to a 4k/UHD one, in my room, and my experience, it's not a night and day difference. The benefit will also from significantly from movie to movie, and scene to scene within any given movie.

But I'm happy to max out the video and audio experience in my room, so am very appreciative of Arve, Manni and the others, to make this possible.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, each powered by a bridged Adcom GFA-555; Center JBL LSR-308
Dolby Bed (4): Wharfedale Diamond II's, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLC Photography
post #693 of 705 Old 07-21-2017, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,
I live in Fuquay Varina, NC and have a dedicated Home Theater. I recently upgraded my 7.1 system to Dolby Atmos Setup(5.1.4). This was done without a lot of planning or research. I upgraded my receiver to a Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 and ran wires and installed 4 RSL speakers. Then after I cranked the system for the first time and was not blown away, I began doing research and found that the speakers are not properly placed
and apparently there are some acoustical concerns that must be addressed. Who knew?!? Anyway, I have moved on to my next remodel project which is my Home bar. Within the next month, I will return to the theater and look to properly acoustically treat the room and maybe move speakers. I'm hoping someone in the area can possibly come over and have a cold one and give me some tips.

daONES

BSH

post #694 of 705 Old 07-27-2017, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome @daone S!!!

On another note I have been giving some thought to the next g2g at casa de Beast as I have been told from multiple sources that I "Need to hurry up and get my ish together".

What say you guys about a period where we do a "Pimp my system" type of blind audition? It would basically consist of select guests getting to EQ my setup to their own personal tastes and using a set playlist of music tracks for all to demo out after each person's attempt at their "Optimal" sound of the existing system. Some ways this would be cool:

~Choosing whether audyssey reference/flat/bypass LR sounds best to that individual
~Dynamic EQ usage on/off or adjusted
~Internal Marantz tone controls
~Bass EQ changes made via the minidsp
~House curve adjustments

I could of course assist as each person makes their changes making sure nothing egregious is being applied, as well as assist in the measurements (or lack of) to confirm changes being made. We could do a set 30 minute playlist of tracks for each demo, in between each attempt, all others would leave the theater and allow a 20-30 minutes re-setup in between each selected individual.

I Think this might be a really fun way to test each of our own personal preferences and hopefully allow each person to learn from the individuality of how we all cater our own systems to our own liking. I would document the changes that each person makes starting from an absolutely zero EQ solution as a base-line.

For the second part of the day we could mess around with the usage and benefits of quality room treatments and whatnot with hopefully a demo from Quest panels and their excellent products being placed in the room and switching out absorb panels for diffusion and combo panels.

Sounds like a really fun time, any thoughts fellas?

@Shreds , think you guys might make a trip up the hill for some fun? We could use your excellent mic rig for some super accurate readings of the changes made for both parts of the day!
dsl1 and daONES1 like this.

post #695 of 705 Old 07-27-2017, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
On another note I have been giving some thought to the next g2g at casa de Beast as I have been told from multiple sources that I "Need to hurry up and get my ish together".
Sounds like a good time, and I would love to attend! Is there a proposed date? Ballpark?

I have nothing to contribute equipment wise, but I'm definitely good for some eats. This would be my first gtg. Excited to meet some people and enjoy some tunes on a killer system!
post #696 of 705 Old 07-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by daONES1 View Post
Hi All,
I live in Fuquay Varina, NC and have a dedicated Home Theater. I recently upgraded my 7.1 system to Dolby Atmos Setup(5.1.4). This was done without a lot of planning or research. I upgraded my receiver to a Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 and ran wires and installed 4 RSL speakers. Then after I cranked the system for the first time and was not blown away, I began doing research and found that the speakers are not properly placed
and apparently there are some acoustical concerns that must be addressed. Who knew?!? Anyway, I have moved on to my next remodel project which is my Home bar. Within the next month, I will return to the theater and look to properly acoustically treat the room and maybe move speakers. I'm hoping someone in the area can possibly come over and have a cold one and give me some tips.

daONES
I'm near you and maybe can offer some help. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #697 of 705 Old 07-29-2017, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
@Shreds , think you guys might make a trip up the hill for some fun? We could use your excellent mic rig for some super accurate readings of the changes made for both parts of the day!
Hmm... sounds like a lot of work. I can be bribed with beer though.
ambesolman likes this.
post #698 of 705 Old 07-30-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 921
@beastaudio

The panel swapping sounds like a great idea, especially if master shredder works his measurement magic so we can actually see what changes are occurring.

The pimping proposition sounds cool too, but likely really time consuming. I'm up for it either way, but I've been to enough of your gtgs to know that time is rarely on our side to do everything we want unless starting earlier than usual.

Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still
Shreds likes this.
post #699 of 705 Old 07-30-2017, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So we closed and are finally settled in. I was going to do a setup in the loft, but the layout is not ideal. So the living is going to be the trick. I will not be going for a projector and just using my 55" tv for the video, so that leaves me some extra $$$ for the audio setup.
post #700 of 705 Old 07-31-2017, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post
Any one local have a Epson 5040ub or JVC RS420 I could take a look at or know a local shop that has both? I have a 5040ube sitting in the box right now. After I got it my friend tells me he can get me a RS420 at cost. Now I don't know what to go with as I'll have to sale the Epson 5040ube. Also I have a full DIY speaker setup 3x88 specials , 4 volt 8's and a full size Marty with a 18inch SI sub. Soon to add 4 volt 6's in the ceiling. If any one wants to check out some DIY speakers.
Hey I'm late too the party but i have RS400 also hooked up to the Panny UB900 player adding this player with the custom gamma curves gave me everything thing i was looking for. DLCPhoto understand my pain he had me over & was very helpful when i first got my RS400.Also i have L/C/R 1299 if you in the area inbox me i would love to demo them for you.

JVC DLA-RS400U
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Denon AVRX6200W /Acurus A125x5
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K UHD Player
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #701 of 705 Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post
Any one local have a Epson 5040ub or JVC RS420 I could take a look at or know a local shop that has both? I have a 5040ube sitting in the box right now. After I got it my friend tells me he can get me a RS420 at cost. Now I don't know what to go with as I'll have to sale the Epson 5040ube. Also I have a full DIY speaker setup 3x88 specials , 4 volt 8's and a full size Marty with a 18inch SI sub. Soon to add 4 volt 6's in the ceiling. If any one wants to check out some DIY speakers.
Hey I'm late too the party but i have RS400 also hooked up to the Panny UB900 player adding this player with the custom gamma curves gave me everything thing i was looking for. DLCPhoto understand my pain he had me over & was very helpful when i first got my RS400.Also i have L/C/R 1299 if you in the area inbox me i would love to demo them for you.
Looks like I'm going to end up keeping the Epson 5040ube. Haven't been able to sale it. Thanks for the invite. Still might take you up on hearing those 1299's . Been thinking about upgrading my 88 specials. You running a amp for the 1229's ?
post #702 of 705 Old 08-01-2017, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Welcome @daone S!!!

What say you guys about a period where we do a "Pimp my system" type of blind audition? It would basically consist of select guests getting to EQ my setup to their own personal tastes and using a set playlist of music tracks for all to demo out after each person's attempt at their "Optimal" sound of the existing system. Some ways this would be cool:

~Choosing whether audyssey reference/flat/bypass LR sounds best to that individual
~Dynamic EQ usage on/off or adjusted
~Internal Marantz tone controls
~Bass EQ changes made via the minidsp
~House curve adjustments

I could of course assist as each person makes their changes making sure nothing egregious is being applied, as well as assist in the measurements (or lack of) to confirm changes being made. We could do a set 30 minute playlist of tracks for each demo, in between each attempt, all others would leave the theater and allow a 20-30 minutes re-setup in between each selected individual.

I Think this might be a really fun way to test each of our own personal preferences and hopefully allow each person to learn from the individuality of how we all cater our own systems to our own liking. I would document the changes that each person makes starting from an absolutely zero EQ solution as a base-line.

For the second part of the day we could mess around with the usage and benefits of quality room treatments and whatnot with hopefully a demo from Quest panels and their excellent products being placed in the room and switching out absorb panels for diffusion and combo panels.

Sounds like a really fun time, any thoughts fellas?

Thanks Beast

BSH
post #703 of 705 Old 08-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Here's an array that a DIY friend built.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gandalf.jpg (78.1 KB, 32 views)

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #704 of 705 Old 09-26-2017, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Any Pinehurst area folk?
post #705 of 705 Old 09-27-2017, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUNC83 View Post
Any Pinehurst area folk?
Check out the first post of the thread, it has a full roll-call of the folks that have at least posted! I will add you to that with the assumption that you are also from the Pinehurst area

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page