Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2015, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Kansas City Headphone Hangout

Howdy all,
Archaea suggested I host a headphone g2g and I decided to go ahead and take him up on that. It will be Saturday, February 28th starting whenever and ending sometime after that. I'm up north by Zona Rosa (I-29 and Barry Rd) and aside from playing with the headphone equipment listed below, attendees can check out the theater (Dynaudio speakers, JTR Orbit Shifter, Epson 6010), and I also have some Monitor Audio Platinum PL100s for those interested in listening to some speakers with ribbon-tweeters. A slideshow of my basement can be found here.

Headphones, DACs, and amps that should be available include:

Archaea will bring:
  • Sennheiser HD 595 (audiophile open cans)
  • Sony MDR-V700 (bass heavy closed cans)

• Sony MDR-X10 (bass heavy closed cans)

• Turtle Beach X11 (decent, inexpensive PC/XBox headset)

• Bose IE2 (best earbuds I've tried yet)
  • Turtle Beach Earforce DSS headphone surround processor that turns optical/toslink Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1 sound into headphone surround

Others listed some gear that they could bring in the Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! thread but I'm too lazy to cut-and-paste from there.
Archaea likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Attendee List:
  • Archaea
  • Carp
  • jedimastergrant
  • Randy Bessinger

Potentials:
  • stitch1

Last edited by cvinfig; 02-20-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Attendance pending. I will put it out there and see what happens. I should be able to leave at 8 unless something else going on.

If I end up going I can bring the Grado SR 125, Audio Technica ATH 500, Etymotic Research ER6?, and my Dolby/DTS mixer.

I have heard the Monitor Audio Platinum PL200 and 300. Probably the same ribbon. They are sublime so I would expect great things from these too. If anyone wants to hear some great ribbons you should attend even if headphones are not your thing.
Archaea likes this.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
I'm in. Thanks for organizing and hosting! Chuck has a really nice space, and I'm sure those who attend will enjoy just hanging out in his comfortable theater area --- in addition to listening to many different headphones!

Chuck, let us know if we need to bring anything apart from headphones.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 02-05-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Sounds like fun - I'm in!

I have:
Grado SR 80's (open)
Audio Technica ATH-M50's (closed)
Sennheiser HD280 Pro's (closed)

I even have a Grado headphone amp. Not sure what I was thinking with that purchase, it was 15 years ago I didn't know any better.

It will be interesting to see if my tastes have changed, I don't listen to headphones anymore but years ago I liked the Grado's a lot more than anything else I have heard.
Archaea likes this.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Sounds like you guys are going to have some fun.

I'm currently in Wilder KY for work,

if I was closer I could bring:
Schiit Bifrost USB-Gen1
Schiit Asgard 2 non-Uber
AKG Q-701 Lime Green

Its doubtful that my travels will bring me closer by the 28th.

You all enjoy.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

boo -

Ben, get over here.
-----------

@carp,
I'm interested in hearing your Senn HD280. That's one I've always been curious in, but since I 'think' I like open air style headphones better for "accurate" sound reproduction, I'd not picked up a pair of those closed Sennheisers. For bassy heavy reproduction it seemed closed were better to me, and the Sony's did what I was looking for there -- so much so that you can feel the headphone vibrating on your head - so I never tried the HD280. Anyrate - some of these models were way off my radar, so it'll be fun to hear some higher end stuff, since the most expensive headphone gear I listened to was in the $300 range.

--------------

@Randy Bessinger
Do you still have your exceptional headphones? Ive never heard, them but I know you talked about them being top shelf --- being able to record your room's speaker system and adjust the headphone EQ to match what you are used to hearing in room. With the point being it was a very similar experience between the headphones and the loudspeakers. What model were those again?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

Last edited by Archaea; 02-06-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
boo -

Ben, get over here.
-----------

@carp,
I'm interested in hearing your Senn HD280. That's one I've always been curious in, but since I 'think' I like open air style headphones better for "accurate" sound reproduction, I'd not picked up a pair of those closed Sennheisers. For bassy heavy reproduction it seemed closed were better to me, and the Sony's did what I was looking for there -- so much so that you can feel the headphone vibrating on your head - so I never tried the HD280. Anyrate - some of these models were way off my radar, so it'll be fun to hear some higher end stuff, since the most expensive headphone gear I listened to was in the $300 range.

--------------

@Randy Bessinger
Do you still have your exceptional headphones? Ive never heard, them but I know you talked about them being top shelf --- being able to record your room's speaker system and adjust the headphone EQ to match what you are used to hearing in room. With the point being it was a very similar experience between the headphones and the loudspeakers. What model were those again?

I haven't heard closed headphones that can compete with the sound quality of open headphones. That said I think you might like my closed Audio Technica's, they destroy the Senn HD280's(Senn's sound boxy/honky in comparison) and are the best closed headphone I have heard.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
boo -

Ben, get over here.
-----------

@carp,

--------------

@Randy Bessinger
I don't have that system anymore.. It was a Symth Realiser system. The standard headphones were Lower end Stax. I have had a lot of headphones over the years but the high end ones I have now are Sennheiser HD800 and Audeze LCD-X. I have others too numerous to mention but Sony, Focal, etc. I think I can make it on 2/28 and will let you know.

Oh yea, have Koss ES950 electrostatics as well.
carp and Archaea like this.

Last edited by Randy Bessinger; 02-06-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I think I can make it... I have some pretty crapy headphones. So hearing some good quality ones would be fun.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 51
wish I still had some of my old cans. used to have: Beyerdynamic DT150, 770 pro, 880, 990, Audiotechnica AD700, Denon D2000, V-Moda LP2.

Now I just have my inexpensive Sennheiser 518 set. Never had a great headphone amp. I had one approx. 250 dollar tube amp, 100 dollar solid state, everything else has been with Xonar Essence STX. My focus was always gaming. I downgraded my setup when I started going bigger on my home theater and console gaming down there.

Denon 4520CI
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35:::::::::Denon DBT 3313UDCI::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage(c)::::ML Aerius I(l/r)::::ML Motion FX(fw/s)::::ML Scripts(sb)
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
Old 02-15-2015, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Gear has arrived:

carp likes this.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, a tube headphone amp and - what are those wooden headphones? This is going to be interesting!
Old 02-15-2015, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Wow, a tube headphone amp and - what are those wooden headphones? This is going to be interesting!
Yeah, I have three different sets of tubes to roll through with the amp and the wooden headphones are my friend's modded Denon D5000s.

Logistics question - would you guys prefer two separate listening stations or just one? I was thinking two: one with the tube amp and the other with the two solid state amps.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
Yeah, I have three different sets of tubes to roll through with the amp and the wooden headphones are my friend's modded Denon D5000s.

Logistics question - would you guys prefer two separate listening stations or just one? I was thinking two: one with the tube amp and the other with the two solid state amps.

2 stations sounds good to me too.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Officially in now. I will bring the Grado's, the AT's and my surround upmixer.

Any idea about a start time? It is still up in the air if i will be able to leave before 8. You should definitely start before then. I still may be able to leave before kids go to bed.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Officially in now. I will bring the Grado's, the AT's and my surround upmixer.

Any idea about a start time? It is still up in the air if i will be able to leave before 8. You should definitely start before then. I still may be able to leave before kids go to bed.
@Archaea and @carp , what do you guys think? Maybe 6:00 or 7:00?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I've no restriction --- so whenever you wish!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Old 02-17-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Whatever you guys think, I haven't made any plans this far out so I'll go with whatever.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I will bring several of my headphones and a Benchmark DAC/headphone amp. Anttime is fine for me.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Since I can't decide between starting at 6:00 or 7:00, let's go with 6:30. I'll have snacks and a variety of beverages availabile and we can also order pizza if necessary (or I can grab a Papa Murphy's pizza or two so we can pop them in the oven at any time).
Old 02-18-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 02-19-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

If you guys haven't checked out your headphones in a couple years you might want to do so. My Senn 595's had a broken cord. I ordered a new one and replaced it tonight. I plugged them into my kindle and fired up some music and I was REALLY disappointed. Ewwwwww what? Is this really what these things sounded like? Sounded tin'y and far away and small. Surely I didn't like this sound before? Have my taste's changed that much over the years? Then I realized my plug wasn't in all the way. I pushed the plug in a bit further and YES....this is why I like these headphones.

Your Grado's are outdone Sheldon. Sennheiser are the very definition of comfort and open air headphone sound!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Old 02-19-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you guys haven't checked out your headphones in a couple years you might want to do so. My Senn 595's had a broken cord. I ordered a new one and replaced it tonight. I plugged them into my kindle and fired up some music and I was REALLY disappointed. Ewwwwww what? Is this really what these things sounded like? Sounded tin'y and far away and small. Surely I didn't like this sound before? Have my taste's changed that much over the years? Then I realized my plug wasn't in all the way. I pushed the plug in a bit further and YES....this is why I like these headphones.

Your Grado's are outdone Sheldon. Sennheiser are the very definition of comfort and open air headphone sound!

Senn's are the very definition of dark/boring/veiled sound that puts me to sleep.

It's been years since I've heard the open Sennheiser's, who knows maybe I'll like them this time.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Senn's are the very definition of dark/boring/veiled sound that puts me to sleep.

It's been years since I've heard the open Sennheiser's, who knows maybe I'll like them this time.
Not the hd800 and I have owned Grados.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

PM sent with my address and phone number...
Old 02-20-2015, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

I originally ripped my CD collection to both FLAC and 320 kbps MP3, the former for use with a Squeezebox and the latter for mobile devices. Now that I'm all-in with Apple, I've been sloooowly re-ripping everything to Apple Lossless. If nothing else this event has lit a fire under my @ss to complete the task.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
Not the hd800 and I have owned Grados.
I haven't heard those, just the 600's and I believe the other model was 580 but that could be wrong. Looking forward to checking out all these headphones that i haven't heard!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really looking forward to hear those Randy! I hadn't even heard of the 800, so I had to look them up! (I thought Sennheiser topped out at HD650) --- I'm a bit out of the loop on the headphones these days. I'm not familiar, or haven't heard about 1/2 of what is going to be available to demo! Some of this stuff attending really seems to represent the best available! Very cool!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The boss says I should be able to leave before the kids bedtime. Which means I might actually make it for the 630 start time!

Should we bring anything to go with the pizza?