Any interest in a Pittsburgh area meet up? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #31 of 236 Old 02-04-2016, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Well, I'm sure not going anywhere

If you have some contacts with those manufacturers start putting out feelers.

In the interim I'd love to meet other interested forum posters, either here or at another agreeable place. Deadpool is the next wide release I'm interested in, followed by Batman v Superman. I'm down to meet anyone when either of those premier (I still love going to the theater, either AMC Loews at the Waterfront, south side works, or settlers ridge)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 236 Old 02-04-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
Well, I'm sure not going anywhere

If you have some contacts with those manufacturers start putting out feelers.

In the interim I'd love to meet other interested forum posters, either here or at another agreeable place. Deadpool is the next wide release I'm interested in, followed by Batman v Superman. I'm down to meet anyone when either of those premier (I still love going to the theater, either AMC Loews at the Waterfront, south side works, or settlers ridge)

I can ask Jeff from JTR how much notice he would need. He said he would drive out (from Chicago) and bring subs/speakers.

PowerSound Audio is in the Youngstown area as is SVS.

PSA is pretty much a 2 man operation and JTR is a one man operation so they would probably need a couple months notice?

Mark Seaton from Seaton Sound is in Chicago also, he has been known to attend get togethers also.

There is a guy in this area that has some Seaton subs. I mentioned him in one of the posts above but haven't seen him pop in here yet.
post #33 of 236 Old 02-04-2016, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I can ask Jeff from JTR how much notice he would need. He said he would drive out (from Chicago) and bring subs/speakers.

PowerSound Audio is in the Youngstown area as is SVS.

PSA is pretty much a 2 man operation and JTR is a one man operation so they would probably need a couple months notice?

Mark Seaton from Seaton Sound is in Chicago also, he has been known to attend get togethers also.

There is a guy in this area that has some Seaton subs. I mentioned him in one of the posts above but haven't seen him pop in here yet.

Looks like most weekends in March are open. I could bring a pair of Captivator S2's and maybe a 1400 or something.

post #34 of 236 Old 02-04-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Looks like most weekends in March are open. I could bring a pair of Captivator S2's and maybe a 1400 or something.
Thanks!

We need to get organized here on our end.

None of us have held or been to one before, I would hate to have you come all the way out here for something lame!
post #35 of 236 Old 02-05-2016, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I'd love to get together sometime. I'll keep checking in here for updates.
post #36 of 236 Old 02-05-2016, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
I'd love to get together sometime. I'll keep checking in here for updates.
Hi, how did you sub turn out?

You are near franklin pa right?
post #37 of 236 Old 02-06-2016, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Hi, how did you sub turn out?

You are near franklin pa right?
The sub turned out great. I couldn't be happier with it. With the inuke 1000dsp bridged, I'm only seeing loads around 60%. It fills my smallish living room very well.

I live right in Franklin.
post #38 of 236 Old 02-08-2016, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I saw raynist mention this in the Pittsburgh OTA forum. Count me as interested, but it would depend on the weekend.
post #39 of 236 Old 02-10-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 View Post
I saw raynist mention this in the Pittsburgh OTA forum. Count me as interested, but it would depend on the weekend.
Great!

I was wondering if anyone from that thread would be interested.

@Samps would you be interested? I know you have built lots of speakers and subs, it would be nice to check out some of those.
post #40 of 236 Old 02-10-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 1246
Ray, if you can manage to move the Pittsburgh GTG closer to Cincinnati then I can attend
post #41 of 236 Old 02-11-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Ray, if you can manage to move the Pittsburgh GTG closer to Cincinnati then I can attend
You are welcome to come by!!

What weekends in March work for everyone?

Jeff mentioned the weekend of the 19th-20th but I have limited availability on the 19th. I would be free on the 20th if that works.

the following weekend is Easter - but I would still be available on Saturday.

Let's get this planned!!

Last edited by raynist; 02-11-2016 at 12:39 PM.
post #42 of 236 Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 432
My home is located about 10 minutes from I79 and about 10 minutes from downtown on the western side of the city. The thread in my signature lists my equipment.

If someone else would like to host I'll graciously defer to them (especially someone with better gear), other wise I'd be very happy to.

All weekends in March work for me.
ahblaza likes this.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #43 of 236 Old 02-11-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
My home is located about 10 minutes from I79 and about 10 minutes from downtown on the western side of the city. The thread in my signature lists my equipment.

If someone else would like to host I'll graciously defer to them (especially someone with better gear), other wise I'd be very happy to.

All weekends in March work for me.
Hi,

Maybe we should meet up before the GTG to determine a place and time?

I could potentially host but not sure if I have enough room.
ahblaza likes this.
post #44 of 236 Old 02-11-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 2218
Quote:
Hi,

Maybe we should meet up before the GTG to determine a place and time?

I could potentially host but not sure if I have enough room.
Ray, how many guys (gals) can you accommodate. Meeting up prior to GTG is a good idea, I'm free all and any weekends........
post #45 of 236 Old 02-11-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Ray, how many guys (gals) can you accommodate. Meeting up prior to GTG is a good idea, I'm free all and any weekends........
I have 2 couches and a chair in my room. One couch is in front is the screen and the other at an angle. So there would be seating for 7 but room to stand/congregate behind the couch in front of the screen. Could even put a few chairs back there.

Could probably fit 10 fairly comfortably
post #46 of 236 Old 02-11-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 2218
Quote:
I have 2 couches and a chair in my room. One couch is in front is the screen and the other at an angle. So there would be seating for 7 but room to stand/congregate behind the couch in front of the screen. Could even put a few chairs back there.

Could probably fit 10 fairly comfortably
That's great, I don't see 10 people interested or am I missing some folks from another posting you did? Count me in my friend.....I take first bid on the front couch...
post #47 of 236 Old 02-11-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's great, I don't see 10 people interested or am I missing some folks from another posting you did? Count me in my friend.....I take first bid on the front couch...
I think I counted 12 or 13 people total that said they would be interested starting with the first post. There is another guy that is on a temp ban on this site that told me he is interested.

I doubt all would come so we should be around 10 give or take.
post #48 of 236 Old 02-11-2016, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Any interest in a Pittsburgh area meet up?

The only weekend days I am available in March would be the 12th and 20th.

Would be great if one of those days works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #49 of 236 Old 02-11-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 529
I'm in, but can't do 3/12 due to Disney on ice. If this GTG happens on the 12th and I'm watching Mickey skating around instead of abusing subwoofers, Mickey might get a Miller Lite to the head.

I'm not sure what I could bring due to size. My biggest vehicle is a Mazda CX-5. I have a THTLP that might fit with some uncomfortable seating. I also have DIYSG fusion 8s, fusion 8 towers, and fusion 8 center. Also have a big ported SI18 that ain't gonna fit. All other subs have been sold off.

The THT would be cool to compare against others but it will be no small task getting that thing in and out of an SUV.
post #50 of 236 Old 02-11-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI, the forum had a problem sending email alerts about quotes and mentions for a few weeks:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...emails-16.html

So anyone mentioned in this thread wouldn't have received an alert. Might want to PM them individually.
post #51 of 236 Old 02-11-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Id love to hear your Fusion 8's. If I were to ever upgrade speakers it would likely be those. Would be cool to hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #52 of 236 Old 02-12-2016, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
FYI, the forum had a problem sending email alerts about quotes and mentions for a few weeks:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...emails-16.html

So anyone mentioned in this thread wouldn't have received an alert. Might want to PM them individually.
Thanks

i will check on who I mentioned on this thread.

I was wondering why you never stopped by as I figured you would be up for this.
post #53 of 236 Old 02-12-2016, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will read through some of the other GTG threads where they had multiple subs they listened to. I am interested in how they setup each sub - did they go though an Audyssey calibration with each sub change? Were they all level matched? Did they find the optimal spot for the subs or just plop them all down in the same spot in the middle of the room?

I know @carp @Gorilla83 and @Archaea have all done these GTG's in the past out in KC and Philly - hopefully they can lend some advice.
post #54 of 236 Old 02-12-2016, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 484 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 2714
I defined the setup procedures clearly in the first couple posts of my meet threads - linked in my signature, so i'll let you just read through that instead of rehashing here.

But absolutely critical is level matching, and same exact placement. If you don't use the same placement - then you are listening to what the room does to the subwoofer (or speaker), more than the comparing the subwoofer itself. Take FR and SPL measurements of each entry for sanity check.

We did our 2011 meet without EQ and the 2012 meet with EQ.

I've personally found, with subwoofers, that it's more about capability and headroom than sound quality. They both have a role - but capability/headroom goes a heck of a long way towards winning the battle. Blind meets are fun when you can dedicate the time.

It is also fun to do two set volume sections. Perhaps the majority of material at volumes that are comfortable and typical - but another section where you cut them loose a little bit and separate the contendors.

You can read up for some additional ideas here too from other past subwoofer events.
Subwoofer Shootout / Subwoofer Roundup - URL lists

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
post #55 of 236 Old 02-12-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I defined the setup procedures clearly in the first couple posts of my meet threads - linked in my signature, so i'll let you just read through that instead of rehashing here.

But absolutely critical is level matching, and same exact placement. If you don't use the same placement - then you are listening to what the room does to the subwoofer (or speaker), more than the comparing the subwoofer itself. Take FR and SPL measurements of each entry for sanity check.

We did our 2011 meet without EQ and the 2012 meet with EQ.

I've personally found, with subwoofers, that it's more about capability and headroom than sound quality. They both have a role - but capability/headroom goes a heck of a long way towards winning the battle. Blind meets are fun when you can dedicate the time.

It is also fun to do two set volume sections. Perhaps the majority of material at volumes that are comfortable and typical - but another section where you cut them loose a little bit and separate the contendors.

You can read up for some additional ideas here too from other past subwoofer events.
Subwoofer Shootout / Subwoofer Roundup - URL lists
Thank you!! I will read through your meet threads this weekend. I always browse using the mobile version and didn't even realize you had them linked!

Thanks for dropping in!
post #56 of 236 Old 02-12-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Jeff, do you want to check with Tom/Jim to see if they want to send something over?

Is there any chance you could bring a V1800?
post #57 of 236 Old 02-13-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 512 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2881 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Quote:
I will read through some of the other GTG threads where they had multiple subs they listened to. I am interested in how they setup each sub - did they go though an Audyssey calibration with each sub change? Were they all level matched? Did they find the optimal spot for the subs or just plop them all down in the same spot in the middle of the room?

I know @carp @Gorilla83 and @Archaea have all done these GTG's in the past out in KC and Philly - hopefully they can lend some advice.

I've been to GTG's that have tried all of the above. Audyssey on, audyssey off, blind, sighted, subs placed in the exact same spot, subs next to each other etc.

My preferred method is to not use any auto EQ and have them placed in the same spot from sub to sub, playing them both at normal levels and then pushing each sub to find it's limits. If you do this though make sure each person is in the same seat for each sub..... hmmmm or don't, this is supposed to be fun so my other preference is no strict guidelines!! The most fun I've had at a sub GTG was when dual Orbit Shifters were let off the leash and we tripped 20 amp breakers repeatedly.

I did a fun sub comparison once a few years back and had one sub stacked on top of the other. The frequency response of the 2 subs was almost identical so it was nice that we didn't have to move subs. We just ran a movie scene with one sub and then ran the same scene with the other sub and repeated through 6 or 7 scenes.
post #58 of 236 Old 02-13-2016, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I've been to GTG's that have tried all of the above. Audyssey on, audyssey off, blind, sighted, subs placed in the exact same spot, subs next to each other etc.

My preferred method is to not use any auto EQ and have them placed in the same spot from sub to sub, playing them both at normal levels and then pushing each sub to find it's limits. If you do this though make sure each person is in the same seat for each sub..... hmmmm or don't, this is supposed to be fun so my other preference is no strict guidelines!! The most fun I've had at a sub GTG was when dual Orbit Shifters were let off the leash and we tripped 20 amp breakers repeatedly.

I did a fun sub comparison once a few years back and had one sub stacked on top of the other. The frequency response of the 2 subs was almost identical so it was nice that we didn't have to move subs. We just ran a movie scene with one sub and then ran the same scene with the other sub and repeated through 6 or 7 scenes.
Thanks.

No sub eq sounds the easiest/less time consuming.

Definitely want it to be fun and not tedious. I think we will just pick one spot to place the sub being tested and do what you and Archaea said with one normal volume scene and then one pushing the limits.
post #59 of 236 Old 02-14-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We have another interested forum user @DaveyK

As far as a date is concerned, I am available to to host this on Sunday March 20th or Saturday March 26th

I may be able to do Satuday March 19th. It is my daughters birthday, but she may be having a spa party at the mall. If this ends up being The plan I probably would not go and we would have 3-4 free hours that day.

I am located 2 miles south of south hills village.

What day works best for everyone?

I would like to try to get a date confirmed this week if possible

Thanks
Ray

Last edited by raynist; 02-15-2016 at 10:03 AM.
post #60 of 236 Old 02-15-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

March 27th is a Sunday and it's also Easter. I doubt your wife wants all of us over for Easter dinner, lol.

Any of those dates are good for me. Except Easter of course.

Do you have atmos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page