AVS Forum banner

Any interest in a Pittsburgh area meet up?

19K views 273 replies 40 participants last post by  Jwaugh90 
#1 ·
I'm a new first time homeowner and was fortunate enough to be able to set up a fun media room and bar in my basement.

I'd love to meet some others into the hobby from the area and swap stories and advice, and would be willing to host a movie night or an NFL Sunday.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Are there any Pittsburgh area home theater experts in the AVS membership?

#4 ·
I know @Greg C is a member and does custom integration work, but he doesn't seem to have posted in a few years.

I'd love to meet anyone locally thats into home theater stuff. I'm out near Robinson but would be willing to meet up anywhere in town.

#5 ·
Have not been on the forum in quite some time. But I still do Home Automation/Home Theater in the Burg and beyond.

#15 ·
I like your website however your blog has some template postings you may want to delete, they look like a drunk 6 year old posted them. :D

#6 · (Edited)
I would be interested, I am near South Hills Village. My equipment list is in my signature. I also have a 120 inch acoustically transparent screen.

There are nearly 3 million people in this area, there has got to be more of us!!

I know of a few other AVS's from Pittsburgh also

@bear123
@Samps
@ahblaza

Reactions: Jwaugh90
#7 · (Edited)
@zdoggz
@MATT0404

Tag anyone else that you know from the area.

Here is a big thread on AVS about Pittsburgh Over the Air TV, wonder if any of these folks would be interested??

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/188135-pittsburgh-pa-ota-154.html

#11 ·
I'd be down for a GTG. I'd be willing to bring my 4ft^3 sealed HST-18 and Inuke6000dsp. Other than that I have Hsu Research bookshelf speakers that would be pretty easy to cart along if there is any interest.

#12 ·
Great!

I think people in other areas have monthly/quarterly get togethers, maybe a tour of people's systems or a movie night.

I will try to read up on some of the other threads in this forum to see how/what others do.

#16 ·
I talked to Jeff from JTR speakers today and he said if we ever do a get together he would like to do a sub shootout and would bring some of his subs.

Powersound Audio is only an hour from use, they would probably send some stuff too. SVS is only an hour too but not sure they would be interested.

#25 ·
Here is a picture of my living room system - that is a 60 inch tv (even though it looks like 32)

Here is a picture behind the screen of my gameroom/man cave. The speakers you see are now in my living room and replaced by 3 of what you see in the far right.

Subs behind couch

Some other speakers I have in my garage that I am rehabbing - need to sell most of these someday....

Reactions: MATT0404
#27 ·
Wow Ray - I have seen your living room system but not the basement man cave - you have a problem! Some serious speakers and subs there! Would love to drop by and hear the bass - may inspire me. I have Rhytmik VHP-15 and the built in subs in the GoldenEar Triton 1s. I thought I needed one more. You may persuade me 6 more is also ok....

#29 ·
Perhaps something in about 6 weeks - early March?

That would give everyone time to plan around schedules and we would likely miss out on worrying about weather.

I'm still very willing to host if someone like raynist can help coordinate. I have my sub rcas near my screen easily available, but I could sure use some pointers getting the place set up for a sub war.

I'd personally be really excited to get some constructive criticism on my room with an eye towards improvements.

#30 ·
I don't think that would be enough notice for JTR or PowerSound Audio but I could be wrong.

Either way, we can plan something, even if it is just a small get together with maybe something bigger in the spring.

Reactions: ahblaza
#31 ·
Well, I'm sure not going anywhere :)

If you have some contacts with those manufacturers start putting out feelers.

In the interim I'd love to meet other interested forum posters, either here or at another agreeable place. Deadpool is the next wide release I'm interested in, followed by Batman v Superman. I'm down to meet anyone when either of those premier (I still love going to the theater, either AMC Loews at the Waterfront, south side works, or settlers ridge)

#32 ·
I can ask Jeff from JTR how much notice he would need. He said he would drive out (from Chicago) and bring subs/speakers.

PowerSound Audio is in the Youngstown area as is SVS.

PSA is pretty much a 2 man operation and JTR is a one man operation so they would probably need a couple months notice?

Mark Seaton from Seaton Sound is in Chicago also, he has been known to attend get togethers also.

There is a guy in this area that has some Seaton subs. I mentioned him in one of the posts above but haven't seen him pop in here yet.

#39 ·
Great!

I was wondering if anyone from that thread would be interested.
@Samps would you be interested? I know you have built lots of speakers and subs, it would be nice to check out some of those.

#40 ·
Ray, if you can manage to move the Pittsburgh GTG closer to Cincinnati then I can attend :p

#41 · (Edited)
You are welcome to come by!!

What weekends in March work for everyone?

Jeff mentioned the weekend of the 19th-20th but I have limited availability on the 19th. I would be free on the 20th if that works.

the following weekend is Easter - but I would still be available on Saturday.

Let's get this planned!!

#42 ·
My home is located about 10 minutes from I79 and about 10 minutes from downtown on the western side of the city. The thread in my signature lists my equipment.

If someone else would like to host I'll graciously defer to them (especially someone with better gear), other wise I'd be very happy to.

All weekends in March work for me.

#49 ·
I'm in, but can't do 3/12 due to Disney on ice. If this GTG happens on the 12th and I'm watching Mickey skating around instead of abusing subwoofers, Mickey might get a Miller Lite to the head.

I'm not sure what I could bring due to size. My biggest vehicle is a Mazda CX-5. I have a THTLP that might fit with some uncomfortable seating. I also have DIYSG fusion 8s, fusion 8 towers, and fusion 8 center. Also have a big ported SI18 that ain't gonna fit. All other subs have been sold off.

The THT would be cool to compare against others but it will be no small task getting that thing in and out of an SUV.

#51 ·
Id love to hear your Fusion 8's. If I were to ever upgrade speakers it would likely be those. Would be cool to hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#53 ·
I will read through some of the other GTG threads where they had multiple subs they listened to. I am interested in how they setup each sub - did they go though an Audyssey calibration with each sub change? Were they all level matched? Did they find the optimal spot for the subs or just plop them all down in the same spot in the middle of the room?

I know @carp @Gorilla83 and @Archaea have all done these GTG's in the past out in KC and Philly - hopefully they can lend some advice.

#57 ·
I've been to GTG's that have tried all of the above. Audyssey on, audyssey off, blind, sighted, subs placed in the exact same spot, subs next to each other etc.

My preferred method is to not use any auto EQ and have them placed in the same spot from sub to sub, playing them both at normal levels and then pushing each sub to find it's limits. If you do this though make sure each person is in the same seat for each sub..... hmmmm or don't, this is supposed to be fun so my other preference is no strict guidelines!! The most fun I've had at a sub GTG was when dual Orbit Shifters were let off the leash and we tripped 20 amp breakers repeatedly. :D

I did a fun sub comparison once a few years back and had one sub stacked on top of the other. The frequency response of the 2 subs was almost identical so it was nice that we didn't have to move subs. We just ran a movie scene with one sub and then ran the same scene with the other sub and repeated through 6 or 7 scenes.