AVS Forum banner

Southeast MI gtg

6K views 209 replies 14 participants last post by  LNEWoLF 
#1 · (Edited)
It's time for my first gtg. My modest theater isn't done yet, but who's really is? I've been watching this fourm hoping to find one I could attend, but nothing has come up, so why not host? So far, I have had interest in a meet from four members if I counted right. I only have 6 real seats, but I can add more, they just won't be optimal. I'll probably have to cap it at 8 or 10 guys, we'll see what happens. I'm not even sure what typically happens at these meets, but I'm sure we will figure it out. Ask any questions please and let me know your availability! I'm in 48088 13 and Hayes
Shooting for August 27th.

Equipment list
Epson 5030ub
Denon avr X-4100
Oppo 103d
Ps4
Ps3
Emotiva upa-7
DIYSG cinema 10 max mains and center
DIYSG volt 10 lx surrounds (4)
DIYSG volt 6 atmos (2)
DIYSG MBMs nearfeild (2)
Dayton IB-385 subs (6 15")
Mini martys with SI DS4's (4)
Inuke 3000dsp (6)
Buttkicker lfe (2)

So far confirmed:
brian6751
mtbdudex
mushroommonk
gworrel
PTAaron
Kevin4730
Axel
gtataryn
jbryngelson
bommer

Once we get 10 confirmed we should leave it at that. It would get to crowded I think. We'll see.
-Jared

See less See more
#2 ·
Ill show up. What would you like me to bring? Beer? Chips? Whatever.

I have only been to one gtg. We all just enjoyed the setup and talked about the hobby. Nothing formal at all. I thought it was great.

Side question. How do you like your 5030ub? Does the fan noise bother you? I can't make up my mind between that and the Sony 45es

#5 · (Edited)
Well your welcome to join us. I'd like to hear some constructive criticism and improve my system where I can. All my friends think I'm nuts and don't really care about home theater. They just say it's better than going to the movies. Probably because they drink all my liquor.
The volts are very impressive for the size and cost. You will love them if you go that direction.
Jared

#7 ·
Cool. I bring some beers! Any preferences?

I think I'm going to go 5030 as well. How many hours do you have on it? What mode do you run it in?[/QUOTE]

No preference on beer. It's all good.
I have 933 hours on the projector. I have no idea how many I would of had, but I had to warrenty swap my projector about a year ago, give or take, because a weird light sopt appeared. Customer service was great, and they sent the new one before I had to send in the old one. Very painless.
I use thx mode

#10 ·
No preference on beer. It's all good.
I have 933 hours on the projector. I have no idea how many I would of had, but I had to warrenty swap my projector about a year ago, give or take, because a weird light sopt appeared. Customer service was great, and they sent the new one before I had to send in the old one. Very painless.
I use thx mode
What fan speed? ECO mode, Normal, high?

#20 ·
To be honest, my projector is the only home theater projector I've ever seen in person, accept one $25K projector at Paulsons tv. And that one was very nice. I would love to see side by side comparisons of the 3 to 4 K priced projectors.

#30 · (Edited)
Would you happen to have a record player hooked up to your system? Whenever I get mine rolling its going to be 50% movies and 50% vinyl, so I'm curious how it sounds on DIYSG speakers.

Edit: I did check the equipment list, just hoping this is one just unlisted because its less likely to excite as many people or something.

#37 ·
Whew. That was a close one.
Well thanks to everyone for joinin the g2g! This will be very interesting to get some opinions on my setup from other members. I'm excited and I hope everyone has as much fun as I will. Still room for a couple more!

#47 ·
My favorite movie demos are but not limited to:
Star Trek into darkness, several scenes but inside the volcano is my favorite
Wotw for the stupid loud bass
EOT for the same reason
The force awakens, the Ray scene in the crashed Imperial cruiser has some single digit bass I love
The crash scene in flight of the phenix
And I could go on and on.
The helicopter scenes in sky fall and MIssion Impossible 3 are great. Helicopters sound amazing in atmos and with way to many big subs.

#50 · (Edited)
Yes the Matrix is fantastic. Although I don't own it anymore. Man, so many good movies. Inception is another great one.

And I work outside almost every day. A foot of snow with horrible wind chills, or 90 degrees and crazy humid. So owning this system has been awesome. I come home everyday a couple hours before my wife, pour a nice drink, and put on a movie. I'm so glad for the guys on this fourm that helped me make it happen!

#60 ·
Your welcome I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. My atmos setup isn't perfect, I only have two overhead speakers due to placement restrictions, and with low ceiling height, I wasn't able to get the channel separation really needed for that 'wow' experience. I do think they add to the experience though.
As far as ISO's, I don't know. I don't know what that means! Sorry, I just got the oppo a few weeks ago.

#61 ·
Hey does anyone know the member who hosted the last g2g here in town? I invited him via PM and had no response. It looks like his last activitiy was some time ago. I'd love to return him the favor of hosting a g2g, even though I wasn't there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.