2017 Austin Texas Area Meet Up - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 78 Old 08-11-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,051
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
When is this going down?

We are trying to drum up interest here in the Dallas area. Austin is one of my favorite places....so....
popalock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 78 Old 08-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Member
 
viper30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Woud love to jion

Would love to come to the next meeting. I am building a house in Bertram and will be moving out there in November. I got them to make me a nice 23 by 13 foot room upstairs to Build a Theater room. Real new to this so trying to learn all I can.
viper30 is offline  
post #63 of 78 Old 08-11-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
When is this going down?

We are trying to drum up interest here in the Dallas area. Austin is one of my favorite places....so....
We haven't planned the next meet-up yet. It's an irregular schedule. Many of us have spouses, kids, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build in progress: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
HT Geek is offline  
 
post #64 of 78 Old 08-11-2017, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,051
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Geek View Post
We haven't planned the next meet-up yet. It's an irregular schedule. Many of us have spouses, kids, etc.
I mean...

I get it. GTG's are always one of those things where there is almost no way possible to please everyone.

What's worked the best for my crew in the past is to just lock in on a host, through up a few dates and have a quick vote. Those who can make it can, those who can't will make the next one.

We gotta put Texas on the map for hosting some epic GTG's because the Kansas City and East Coast crew are kicking our asses...lol
deomayama likes this.
popalock is offline  
post #65 of 78 Old 08-11-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
I mean...

I get it. GTG's are always one of those things where there is almost no way possible to please everyone.

What's worked the best for my crew in the past is to just lock in on a host, through up a few dates and have a quick vote. Those who can make it can, those who can't will make the next one.
Yeah, that is basically what we've been doing. We've had 3 meets so far.


Quote:
We gotta put Texas on the map for hosting some epic GTG's because the Kansas City and East Coast crew are kicking our asses...lol
LoL. Agreed! I'd say probably <50% of us have completed HT's. The majority are somewhere between demo and done.
popalock likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build in progress: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
HT Geek is offline  
post #66 of 78 Old 10-10-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 25,100
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5151 Post(s)
Liked: 3629
Austin finally gets an Atmos theatre. Actually, even better, a Dolby Cinema w/ Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...reek-square-14

Well worth checking out 'Blade Runner 2049', since it makes good use of the overhead speakers and HDR.

Good place for the local home theatre group to meet in between get togethers, especially whenever there is a big movie released.
CoryW, HT Geek and sunPin like this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #67 of 78 Old 10-10-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Austin finally gets an Atmos theatre. Actually, even better, a Dolby Cinema w/ Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...reek-square-14

Well worth checking out 'Blade Runner 2049', since it makes good use of the overhead speakers and HDR.

Good place for the local home theatre group to meet in between get togethers, especially whenever there is a big movie released.
Sanjay, thanks a lot for posting this info!

Austin Meetup Folks: you guys interested in meeting up for a Blade Runner 2049 showing at this theater? Perhaps 10/21-10/22 or 10/29-10/30 weekend??? (I'm thinking this weekend would be a bit short notice)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build in progress: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
HT Geek is offline  
post #68 of 78 Old 10-10-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 25,100
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5151 Post(s)
Liked: 3629
My local home theatre group (Los Angeles Audio Video Association - LAAVA) often meets at a Dolby Cinema or IMAX theatre to catch a blockbuster, then discuss it over lunch or coffee. Keeps us connected between get togethers.
sunPin likes this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #69 of 78 Old 10-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
CoryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Geek View Post
Sanjay, thanks a lot for posting this info!

Austin Meetup Folks: you guys interested in meeting up for a Blade Runner 2049 showing at this theater? Perhaps 10/21-10/22 or 10/29-10/30 weekend??? (I'm thinking this weekend would be a bit short notice)
I've been looking forward to this theater finishing up all year.

I game for this Saturday or the following Saturday... as long as the Texas vs OSU game is in the afternoon.

Are you sure the film will still be playing in the Dolby theater in two weeks?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Cory

Audio: Ascend Acoutics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC DLA-RS400, LG OLED B6, 92" Dark Energy Abyss screen, HTPC/MadVR/Darblet, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Player
CoryW is online now  
post #70 of 78 Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW View Post
I've been looking forward to this theater finishing up all year.

I game for this Saturday or the following Saturday... as long as the Texas vs OSU game is in the afternoon.

Are you sure the film will still be playing in the Dolby theater in two weeks?
Good question. It opened October 6 IIRC. I would think so, but who knows? I suppose it's a function of what else the theaters have in the pipeline. I realized I'd have to do it the following weekend at the earliest (Oct. 21/22). I gotta finish my taxes this weekend.

I rarely watch any movies in the theater because they tend to be there for such a short time, and I generally prefer to watch them in the comfort of my own home versus spending $25+ per person and share the experience with a few hundred people I don't know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build in progress: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
HT Geek is offline  
post #71 of 78 Old 10-14-2017, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
CoryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Geek View Post
Good question. It opened October 6 IIRC. I would think so, but who knows? I suppose it's a function of what else the theaters have in the pipeline. I realized I'd have to do it the following weekend at the earliest (Oct. 21/22). I gotta finish my taxes this weekend.

I rarely watch any movies in the theater because they tend to be there for such a short time, and I generally prefer to watch them in the comfort of my own home versus spending $25+ per person and share the experience with a few hundred people I don't know.
I hear ya. I guess we can play it by ear. I called the theater to see how long it is playing but nobody was available. Let's touch base this week on it. I going to the Texas OSU game and for some reason the game time is not yet announced.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
HT Geek likes this.

Thanks!
Cory

Audio: Ascend Acoutics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC DLA-RS400, LG OLED B6, 92" Dark Energy Abyss screen, HTPC/MadVR/Darblet, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Player
CoryW is online now  
post #72 of 78 Old 10-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I might be going to Puerto Rico that weekend, but if not, I’d be down for joining you all at the new Dolby theater.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
sunPin is offline  
post #73 of 78 Old 10-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
CoryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 119
The AMC website says showtimes for Friday and beyond will be posted on Wednesday

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Cory

Audio: Ascend Acoutics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC DLA-RS400, LG OLED B6, 92" Dark Energy Abyss screen, HTPC/MadVR/Darblet, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Player
CoryW is online now  
post #74 of 78 Old 10-18-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,051
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Hey guys...sorry for your loss last weekend. We still love UT up in the bid D though!!!
popalock is offline  
post #75 of 78 Old 10-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Any of you gents up for seeing Blade Runner in the new Dolby theater at 11:40 this Sunday?

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
sunPin is offline  
post #76 of 78 Old 10-19-2017, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
CoryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Looks like we missed our window the Dolby Theater is now going to only show that new firefighter film Only the Brave

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Cory

Audio: Ascend Acoutics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC DLA-RS400, LG OLED B6, 92" Dark Energy Abyss screen, HTPC/MadVR/Darblet, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Player
CoryW is online now  
post #77 of 78 Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: moot point
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Near as I can tell, today is last day and only one showing at 3:15

plug in to play
Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
jamin is offline  
post #78 of 78 Old 10-19-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Damn. ;( Well, that is one of the things that drove me into this time-sucking hobby: theaters play a movie for 2 weeks or so; 3 weeks tops and it's done. I don't understand it. Not like I don't have other things to schedule my time around besides movie theater times. And they complain about poor sales.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build in progress: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
HT Geek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Tags
atx , austin , central texas , texas

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off