DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth) G2G, Finally! - Oct 21, 2017 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

post #31 of 133 Old 08-29-2017, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Confirmed!! I can bring food or beer and can chip in where needed. Are you gonna going to start a list for that as well?

I might have some speakers to bring depending on how things land between now and then.

Tannoy DC12i
Presonus 328i

EDIT: I see the list for beer and I can bring some as well. Please let us know any other areas you need help in.
thxman likes this.

Last edited by McLuvin; 08-29-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 133 Old 08-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by forin View Post
I know the equipment is high end but if anyone wants I could bring a pair of JBl LSR 308s as a budget set to see how they hold up.
I ran 5 of them for awhile in my dedicated room and loved them. I think others will be impressed as well. Still some of my favorites.
thxman likes this.
post #33 of 133 Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Confirmed. I live in Frisco as well

I can bring that's would be useful for our meet
thxman likes this.

post #34 of 133 Old 08-29-2017, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
Um, hell yes, please. Are you confirmed or tentative?
Quote:
That looks cool. I think for this round we are aiming for casual. There is only so many weeks from now until the event. It would be nice to continue to meet as a group and I think this could be a great venue for the type of event you are proposing.
Hi thxman,

Put me down as confirmed. Also let me know if you want me to bring the Danleys by early so you can do a setup/REQ on them. I could even drop them off the night before. And I agree about the casual format first time around. Those scientifically-controlled GTGs sound tedious.
thxman likes this.
post #35 of 133 Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 630
I'm interested.
Not sure if I can make it, but I'll try!

Very intriguing setup!
thxman likes this.
post #36 of 133 Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Sweet...I have a weekend pass. I'm in!
thxman likes this.
post #37 of 133 Old 08-29-2017, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Sweet...I have a weekend pass. I'm in!
Very nice.
post #38 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI, I just posted my HT build thread.
thxman likes this.
post #39 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
During the G2G, I will demo my modest 9.4.4 theater. Here is a short list of some of my equipment.
  • D-Box Motion System
  • Trinnov Altitude32
  • Alcons Sentinel Amplifiers (12k watts)
  • Alcons CMRS Compact System
  • 4 – Seaton F18s (2 powered, 2 slaved)
  • JVC RS600
  • Dreamscreen V6 Screen (130”)
Modest, my a$$.
thxman and mikeTRON250LM like this.

Last edited by darrellh44; 08-30-2017 at 05:45 AM.
post #40 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Also let me know if you want me to bring the Danleys by early so you can do a setup/REQ on them. I could even drop them off the night before. And I agree about the casual format first time around. Those scientifically-controlled GTGs sound tedious.
I will be taking the week before this off so that I can ensure I have prepared accordingly. Much of that time will be making adjustments to my theater but I am open to early equipment drop offs on Friday so that we can focus on the GTG on Saturday. As for how we will set up the equipment, I have not determined this yet. Once we have final inventory of what is coming in for demo, I can make more informed decisions. I really don't have a lot of extra equipment laying around but am willing to make moderate purchases to accommodate what we needed. I can always sell what I don't need afterwards.
post #41 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Quote:
I will be taking the week before this off so that I can ensure I have prepared accordingly. Much of that time will be making adjustments to my theater but I am open to early equipment drop offs on Friday so that we can focus on the GTG on Saturday. As for how we will set up the equipment, I have not determined this yet. Once we have final inventory of what is coming in for demo, I can make more informed decisions. I really don't have a lot of extra equipment laying around but am willing to make moderate purchases to accommodate what we needed. I can always sell what I don't need afterwards.
Is there room to set up speaker tinkering elsewhere in the house? That gives a location for others to hang out when there are more butts than seats in the theater, and keeps you from tearing up your theater. When ever a comparison is done where the theater is torn up and others temped in, no one gets to experience what the installed, settled, and dialed in system can really do, and this is something you will never get to hear in any store, at a trade show, or in any temporary setup. Having been to plenty of G2Gs, I strongly recommend polishing up the theater (I can help the day prior) and letting the guys experience and enjoy what you have assembled. Pick another location to tinker with other gear.
thxman and mikeTRON250LM like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #42 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
Is there room to set up speaker tinkering elsewhere in the house? That gives a location for others to hang out when there are more butts than seats in the theater, and keeps you from tearing up your theater. When ever a comparison is done where the theater is torn up and others temped in, no one gets to experience what the installed, settled, and dialed in system can really do, and this is something you will never get to hear in any store, at a trade show, or in any temporary setup. Having been to plenty of G2Gs, I strongly recommend polishing up the theater (I can help the day prior) and letting the guys experience and enjoy what you have assembled. Pick another location to tinker with other gear.
Hey Mark. Yes, I am going to use my family room for the other gear and leave the HT alone. I have modular seating (http://www.lovesac.com/sactionals.html) which should accommodate seating for 12 and I can add some chairs for overflow. The space is open, and acoustics in that space are not great so I don't encourage critical listening but still think it would be worth having something to do outside the theater that has limited space. Here is a picture of the room. That is a 9 ft tree and a 75" TV for some perspective. I will be arranging the seating as a large C.
Mark Seaton likes this.
post #43 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

In addition, I have a front family room that has some PC's in it, but it is open to the foyer. With some fold out seats, it can accommodate more seating with another setup. That would provide 3 demo spaces, including the HT.
Mark Seaton likes this.
post #44 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can also bring my MRX-720 to run REQ on the SM60Fs (or even others' speakers) if you like. Running ARC probably takes less time than wiring amps/speakers. I can probably give you a hand in the evenings that week, especially Ftiday.
thxman likes this.
post #45 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
I ran 5 of them for awhile in my dedicated room and loved them. I think others will be impressed as well. Still some of my favorites.
Yup! I have been running 7 in a treated room with a submersive for 2 years now and am still enjoying them very much! Most peoples complaints about build quality/resonance/distortion can be alleviated by crossing over to a sub. If possible, I would highly recommend we cross them to a sub during the GTG to really let them shine.
post #46 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Awesome!

Side note, I can bring wings or eggrolls...stuff like that if anyone is interested.

Actually, we can pretty much make anything, but here is a menu if anyone would be interested in trying some of this. Just let me know.

Menu

Here is the beer I have readily available if anything looks interesting to you guys:

http://i.imgur.com/rSIV9Co.jpg
Maredsous is always good. Which Founders beer? Their imperial stout is great

Not sure what bottles/cans I'll be bringing just yet but I'll bring 64 oz and 32 oz growler fills of something from http://www.tapsandcaps.com/lewisville/ since it is probably on the way for me from Fort Worth.

I also hope you guys won't mind me asking allergen questions regarding food at the GTG. Don't want to be annoying but I also don't want to experience any issues

Might just grab some whataburger on the way lol

post #47 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is there any room for a Prosper TX Enthusiast? I can bring pizza
thxman likes this.
post #48 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I will attend tentatively. I will need to find someone to fill in for me at work that day.

I just finished building 9 DIY posters. DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!.
I have 3 more to go but would be willing to bring one along if anyone is interested in seeing the quality of the print.

I have been told I make a mean pulled pork so I could bring that if you guys are interested.
Thanks thxman for hosting this and for letting us enjoy your home.

Curt
thxman likes this.

All gone for now---->The Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---6 DIY Volt 10 (surrounds 9.4)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--2 Pico Wreckers (tapped horns)---AVR Denon 4311CI---Emotiva Xpa-3---Behringer Nu6000DSP & Nu3000DSP iNuke---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #49 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSpine99 View Post
Is there any room for a Prosper TX Enthusiast? I can bring pizza
Of course! Just let me know once/if you are for sure going and I will add you to the list.
post #50 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I will attend tentatively. I will need to find someone to fill in for me at work that day.

I just finished building 9 DIY posters. DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!.
I have 3 more to go but would be willing to bring one along if anyone is interested in seeing the quality of the print.

I have been told I make a mean pulled pork so I could bring that if you guys are interested.
Thanks thxman for hosting this and for letting us enjoy your home.

Curt
I added you tentatively. I say, if you can come, bring panel(s). At a min, the room needs some absorption.

You can't go wrong with pulled pork, someone better fill in for you.
BCRSS likes this.
post #51 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post
I also hope you guys won't mind me asking allergen questions regarding food at the GTG. Don't want to be annoying but I also don't want to experience any issues

Might just grab some whataburger on the way lol
I may be misunderstanding, are you saying you have some restrictions or concerned that others may? Please PM me if you would rather not discuss here.
post #52 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1813
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Not sure if anyone would care to hear some run of the mill Klipsch RF-7II's but I can bring if so.

Also, I can bring a FP14000K Clone Amp and a MiniDSP 10x10HD for DSP needs if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
Looking forward to seeing you Mark!
thxman likes this.
post #53 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I may be misunderstanding, are you saying you have some restrictions or concerned that others may? Please PM me if you would rather not discuss here.
I don't mind talking about it. I don't want to cause any issues so I may end up just eating on the way in.

I'm allergic to tree nuts (i.e. almonds, pecans, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc). I carry epinephrine injectors of course.

I've also got an unfortunate GI condition in addition to a major dairy intolerance so I'd be asking if anything contains dairy as well. Makes things challenging when going out to eat unless the staff is knowledgeable. It makes things tough at parties as well

post #54 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't mind talking about it. I don't want to cause any issues so I may end up just eating on the way in.

I'm allergic to tree nuts (i.e. almonds, pecans, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc). I carry epinephrine injectors of course.

I've also got an unfortunate GI condition in addition to a major dairy intolerance so I'd be asking if anything contains dairy as well. Makes things challenging when going out to eat unless the staff is knowledgeable. It makes things tough at parties as well
I would more than willing to send you a full ingredient list of anything I cook. If I go with the wings, I will be sure to use canola oil vs. peanut oil. Also, I have a full size potato cutter and can cook fries that will make Whatsthishi* burger's taste lousy.

I have a feeling we will be getting started early and going late so you will need food at some point.
McLuvin, its phillip and BCRSS like this.
post #55 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would more than willing to send you a full ingredient list of anything I cook. If I go with the wings, I will be sure to use canola oil vs. peanut oil. Also, I have a full size potato cutter and can cook fries that will make Whatsthi**** burger's taste lousy.

I have a feeling we will be getting started early and going late so you will need food at some point.
Thanks man, I really appreciate it. You can actually stick with peanut oil if you'd like. Peanuts are legumes and luckily I do not suffer from that allergy. I really like whataburger fries so I am looking forward to trying something that wipes the floor with them

I email/call breweries fairly often asking if their beer contains dairy and/or tree nuts. Fortunately most have been pretty quick to respond but a number didn't even bother.

post #56 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Pizza with no nuts, no cheese, no problem, what would you like on it? Will soy cheese work? I could whip up cheeseless Calzones for you. I will gladly make any type of pizza. If you do not have one check out Blackstone Pizza ovens on Amazon.....Love them. I am donating one to the local fire house so they can make their own pizzas.
thxman and its phillip like this.
post #57 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSpine99 View Post
Pizza with no nuts, no cheese, no problem, what would you like on it? Will soy cheese work? I could whip up cheeseless Calzones for you. I will gladly make any type of pizza. If you do not have one check out Blackstone Pizza ovens on Amazon.....Love them. I am donating one to the local fire house so they can make their own pizzas.
The few times I eat pizza I just get them with no cheese and extra tomato sauce. If you're making a bunch of pizza and you feel like making one with no cheese, that'd be super awesome but I don't want anybody to go out of their way. I appreciate it either way. Thank you!

That pizza oven looks pretty neat. Very nice of you to donate one to your local fire house!
thxman likes this.

post #58 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I added you tentatively. I say, if you can come, bring panel(s). At a min, the room needs some absorption.

You can't go wrong with pulled pork, someone better fill in for you.

Ok I bring my last 3 posters that I make, since those are individual posters while most of my others are multi pics into one large poster.
I'll make the pulled pork also and will bring buns along.
thxman likes this.

All gone for now---->The Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---6 DIY Volt 10 (surrounds 9.4)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--2 Pico Wreckers (tapped horns)---AVR Denon 4311CI---Emotiva Xpa-3---Behringer Nu6000DSP & Nu3000DSP iNuke---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #59 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
Ok I bring my last 3 posters that I make, since those are individual posters while most of my others are multi pics into one large poster.
I'll make the pulled pork also and will bring buns along.
I imagine you can do "Living room" friendly panels/images as well? Basically like paintings, etc. I ask because I do one day wish to improve the acoustics of my living room or at least tame the echo's. Ill probably start with curtains but they won't be enough.
BCRSS likes this.
post #60 of 133 Old 08-30-2017, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I imagine you can do "Living room" friendly panels/images as well? Basically like paintings, etc. I ask because I do one day wish to improve the acoustics of my living room or at least tame the echo's. Ill probably start with curtains but they won't be enough.

All my posters are 24x48 but if you have a high res picture, you can make a poster any size you like.
Made mine the largest I could since my room is open on one side and I needed the absorption.
thxman likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page