Durham, Raleigh, Triangle Home Theater meet up? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 140 Old 04-30-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am willing to do a meetup as well. I can bring just about any movie folks want to see on Red. PM me if you guys are still planning a meet and or need some disc help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 140 Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
crimson tide????
post #33 of 140 Old 04-30-2008, 01:15 PM

Not a bad idea to have a meet on Memorial Day weekend although a lot of people may have family obligations or weekend trips planned already.

I could attend on Jun. 1st or 2nd (Sun. or Mon.).

Anyone else interested that weekend? And a better question, is there anyone who could make their home and theater available on those dates? I'm not sure if I can do that at home that weekend but will look into it. Anyone else?

I've made contact with at least 8 people now who have sent me their contact information for future meets in the area..... so it's a good start.

Josh

post #34 of 140 Old 05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
I guess I could forget about waiting on a sub and have a meet. Memorial Day weekend won't work for me though. Perhaps July because the next 2 months are pretty nuts for me. July is about as good as I can do. Also have to clear all of this with the boss....

I finally took some decent pics of my stage. Here they are.

post #35 of 140 Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 PM

Jerrod,

Not sure what kind of sub you are running now. But I could bring my HSU Research VTF-3 MkII over if you want to demo it in your setup.

Not sure if that helps.

Josh
post #36 of 140 Old 05-03-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowell5 View Post

Jerrod,

Not sure what kind of sub you are running now. But I could bring my HSU Research VTF-3 MkII over if you want to demo it in your setup.

Not sure if that helps.

I have an X-Sub from AV123. It does the job and for it's size, it's a great little sub. It just doesn't have the low end like a bigger, more powerful sub would have. I bought it as a fill in whil I was waitin on the HSU HO model.... it came out so late I just gave up and then some other subs came out. I'm leaning towards the AV123 MFW-15 right now. For the price it seems like there's nothing out there that can beat it.

Hearing the Hsu if and when I do this would be nice.
post #37 of 140 Old 07-12-2008, 08:53 PM

Interested in Meetup also. I'm still in the building process. I live in North Raleigh above 540. Hopefully after 2nd QTR next year, I'll be able to finish the theater and be able to host an event. I also have a bunch of home automation projects at various stages on completion.
post #38 of 140 Old 11-04-2008, 10:03 AM

Hi,

I would be interested in meeting. We live in Cary and talking HT with the wife just don't do it!!! I started this home project about 2 years ago. The wife has slowed me down but I got the itch. Thanks.
post #39 of 140 Old 11-05-2008, 04:38 PM

I'd def. be down to coming to a meet!! We're only 4 hours away.
post #40 of 140 Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey all - I have a small project that I'd like to hand over to an installer, since they could do it in 1/3 the time it would take me.

Does anyone have any references in the Apex/Cary/Raleigh area for HT installers? Basically I want to turn a closet into a component cabinet and hang a projector, and run all the lines.

Thanks

-DavidVTHokie
post #41 of 140 Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM

If any of you are interested in making your own acoustic panels I have some extra fiberglass panels available for sale cheap. If you come over to buy them I can also show you how I built mine. They came out looking quite nice for only a fraction of the price of professional built ones using the same material.

I have 2 sheets of 2' x 4' Owens Corning 703 (2 inches thick)

And 3 sheets of 2' x 4' Owens Corning 705 (2 inches thick)

I'm selling it for $10 per sheet or take all 5 for $40.

You can PM me or call at (919) 799-0807

Josh

Josh
post #42 of 140 Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi alll,

First post here. Getting ready to buy my first flat-screen HDTV in the next few months, and am leaning heavily towards a Panny V10. Anyway, I can't find any local "big box" store that actually has one in stock I can view (e.g., Best Buy, HH Gregg, Sears, etc.). I really want to lay eyes on one and try out some of my source material before buying. Anyone know of a place in the RDU area that would have a V10 I can look at?

Once I get it, maybe I can host a meetup, too.
Thanks!
post #43 of 140 Old 01-23-2010, 06:14 PM

Took the liberty of adding some of you as contacts (hope that is ok). I have some contractors working on my bonus area and the wife has generously allowed me to grab 14'X19' of it to make into my HT. The walls are going up Monday so I am starting to feel the itch!

Would love to interact with some of the locals here that share the same passion for this addictive hobby.

-Bob
post #44 of 140 Old 01-24-2010, 05:40 AM

Congrats Bob!

Beware - once you start there is never an end. It might slow down, but it never ends.

I would be interested in a meetup at some point also.

W
post #45 of 140 Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 AM

English,

Thanks for the tip! I am at the point ALREADY where I have so much information floating around in my head that I am driving myself crazy! I am contacting Audio Advice to have them come over and map out my room and give me a diagram of what I need to do acoustically to make sure I have it set up right. The bad thing around here is that each configuration is different so one mans acoustical obstacles won't be applicable to another's.

You have any advice for who I can get in touch with other than Audio advice to have this done?

Thanks man!
post #46 of 140 Old 01-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Not sure how far along you are with AA, but one thing you might consider is having Bryan Pape (bpape on the forum here) do your acoustical design for you. I used him and have been extremely pleased with the results - he helped me overcome some initial bad decisions I made during initial construction. I like AA and have been a long time customer, but if you are doing much of this yourself, you might consider bpape. If you are having them do most of it, then you are on the right track in using them.

W
post #47 of 140 Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up man. I am going to get in touch with him here in a minute and see what he has to say.

As for completing it I am going to have the electrical, drywall and framing done by contractors but I want to soundproof and run pretty much do the rest.

Problem I have at this point is symmetry as I am dealing with a roofline on the left side of my room and I can see it being an acoustical nightmare. My framers are telling me they can align the right side of the room to match it so that is something I am going to pursue if the acoustics are going to be adversely affected with their current design.

I will keep you posted on what Bpape has to say and thanks agian for your help!
post #48 of 140 Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 PM

Hey, congrats on being able to design a new room from the ground up. That is something I did not have the opportunity to do as I was working with a finished bonus room and simply used track to hide cables on the surface of my walls.

My equipment is getting a little dated now (Panny AE-900U, HTPC + nice sound system) but i'm still interested in a meet if there is still interest out there. I've tried in the past but we never did get anything going.

Josh
post #49 of 140 Old 01-25-2010, 04:32 PM

I am up for that meet too... I got a setback today with my builder as I contacted Bryan Pape per English's recommendation... Suffice it to say we are on hold until I get my stuff together with a diagram but I am MORE than ok with that!

I won't be up and running for a bit but am shooting for a realistic completion of Superbowl 2011. We shall see how that all goes...

There are good things about starting from scratch but then there are also bad ones as well... I am dealing with roofline obstacles and other factors that are in place thanks to my upstairs designs... No complaints but just will make for a unique look is all...

Anyhow, I will keep you all posted once I get underway
post #50 of 140 Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
After almost a year dormant, I see that this thread is active again - which is great. Various pings about a local meet-up. Anyone want to try and get something together? I'm happy to host, but my room is not all that large.
post #51 of 140 Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 AM

I could also host. I am always looking for critical feedback :-)
post #52 of 140 Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Warren -
Your theater looks much more appropriate for hosting a meet-up than mine (at ~3 vs 15 seats . Let's pick a date! Anyone else? I feel like we need a critical mass.
post #53 of 140 Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 AM

I'm still up for this. We've tried a few times in the past but it has never come together. I did put together a contact list of most people involved here as well so that we can do a direct emailing when the time comes.

My room only seats 4-5 people and my gear is getting a little old now with a Panny AE-900U. So perhaps someone with a more suitable room might be a better spot....at least for the first time.

If you are newer to this thread do me a favor and PM with your contact info (name, email, phone) as it would be great to have a central list for organizing meets.

Josh
post #54 of 140 Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Warren has volunteered. His theater seats 15.
post #55 of 140 Old 02-28-2010, 07:35 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys,
I'm at stage (-1) in my home theater build. We are currently trying to sell our home and move into a new place. The new place will house my HT. I may not be a verified HT nut, but I'm working on it. So far all I have is Universal Logitech Harmony 1 remote and a kick butt DIY media server with DVD and BLURAY drives; 1.5 tb hard drive space with room for 2 additional hard drives. All the actual theater pieces have not been purchased yet, because I don't know the eventual room size. At any rate, I will need plenty of help and is willing to meet anywhere in the triangle to learn from certified HTNs. I live in Holly Springs. Let me know time and place.

daones1

BSH
post #56 of 140 Old 03-01-2010, 06:52 AM

It seems like there is some renewed interest in getting together in the Triangle. I'd like to meet some people in the area to see what they are doing and share ideas. I am rebuilding and upgrading, so I am not quite ready for prime time, and my room is small, but I'd love to get some feedback.

Wayne
post #57 of 140 Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 AM

Yes, I can host, no worries.

I think we need to get a critical mass, maybe 6-7 +. Then, I need to set a date/time - need to find out from 'the boss' what will work with her schedule.

My first thought is on a Saturday around 6-ish.

Thoughts?
post #58 of 140 Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM

I'd also be interested in getting together. The newness has worn off on my HT and I need some new ideas. Plus, it gives me a reason to hang out at Warren's.
post #59 of 140 Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #60 of 140 Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 AM

I think I could do the 13th at 6...