Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #4051 of 4162 Old 06-01-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Grand Opening is Tuesday. Today was a soft opening. Not sure of the regular hours but they will be open for lunch and dinner 6 or 7 days a week. Mondays they MIGHT be closed. I'd gladly go back anytime I have a BBQ hunger. Today I enjoyed a beef brisket sammie, pulled pork sammie, and the pulled pork nachos and a few cold ones to wash them down. smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4162 Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
How about "Burnt-End" sandwiches?
If there any KC types following along; I'll bet they can associate this with the "Smoke-stack" on S. Holmes Rd... ?

My best wishes to Jeff C. on his opening.
Looking forward to a meal at his place on my way to that destination school "ISU" with my son this fall biggrin.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #4053 of 4162 Old 06-01-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Z-man from oklahoma joes is probably the fav here in kc.

Why is this thread always about food? wink.gif

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #4054 of 4162 Old 06-01-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Food and awesome theaters go together! smile.gif I can second that Z-Man, that's an awesome sandwich!

-- TechTVMan

post #4055 of 4162 Old 06-02-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What a great thread! Never got around to working on my irule remote after dropping by QDog's open house. Here is a pic from my wife's QDog sandwich as the rest of us couldn't wait long enough. She has manners...

deewan likes this.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.

post #4056 of 4162 Old 06-02-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hey guys,

I'm going to interrupt your thread here, and ask you all a question...

Recently, I made a new acoustics course, over at my (now sold!) home theater site. I'm still part of the team there, and am in development on a Sound Isolation course.

What is (if you are building/designing now) or was (if you are already done) your biggest sound isolation question?

What is the one thing you need to be really clarified about home theater sound isolation?

Thanks! smile.gif

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #4057 of 4162 Old 06-02-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Hey guys,

I'm going to interrupt your thread here, and ask you all a question...

Recently, I made a new acoustics course, over at my (now sold!) home theater site. I'm still part of the team there, and am in development on a Sound Isolation course.

What is (if you are building/designing now) or was (if you are already done) your biggest sound isolation question?

What is the one thing you need to be really clarified about home theater sound isolation?

Thanks! smile.gif

From my experience of helping others, the biggest thing most people struggle with is understanding the difference between sound absorption and sound isolation. They both decrease the sound levels outside the room, but they do not work the same and they have different benefits/uses.
warrenP likes this.

post #4058 of 4162 Old 06-02-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

From lessons learned in HT 1.0, proper sound isolation requires a number of changes to standard construction HVAC practices.

1. Without proper planning you could end up with very distracting sound transmission between the HT and the rest of the house.
2. Also, without proper planning, a room full of people and a pj could get uncomfortably warm.

In HT 1.0 I planned for #1 well, but I underestimated the need for cooling air and found that the room got warm with extended viewing for large numbers of folks. All of the effort for #1 will decrease your airflow for #2 and require well planned counter measures.

Congrats on selling your HT site and good luck with the course.
warrenP likes this.

post #4059 of 4162 Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Low frequency isolation is a huge consideration - the mass (and isolation best-practices) needed to eliminate low freq "migration" needs to be clearly differentiated!
warrenP likes this.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #4060 of 4162 Old 06-03-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Good stuff guys, thanks! smile.gif

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #4061 of 4162 Old 06-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Thought I would throw this out here. If anyone is looking for a subwoofer or a project that needs parts for a subwoofer, I am getting rid of the one a friend built for me. The drivers are still in good shape. The box they are in is fine, but isn't the prettiest thing in the world. The drivers are TC Sounds TC-2000 12" woofers. There are 2 of them. They are 3 ohm drivers currently wired in series. The external amp I was using died and I decided to go a different route. The sub would be functional with an external amp or the drivers could be scavenged for a DIY project. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. Not looking to get much out of it.

post #4062 of 4162 Old 06-18-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Thought I would throw this out here. If anyone is looking for a subwoofer or a project that needs parts for a subwoofer, I am getting rid of the one a friend built for me. The drivers are still in good shape. The box they are in is fine, but isn't the prettiest thing in the world. The drivers are TC Sounds TC-2000 12" woofers. There are 2 of them. They are 3 ohm drivers currently wired in series. The external amp I was using died and I decided to go a different route. The sub would be functional with an external amp or the drivers could be scavenged for a DIY project. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. Not looking to get much out of it.
Wow, about 3 years too late. I was looking for a TC-2000 a few years back and could never find one. I've since moved on, but the TC-2000s are pretty decent woofers even if someone wanted to just start over and pull them just for parts.

Good luck.

- Nick Buol

post #4063 of 4162 Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Wow, about 3 years too late. I was looking for a TC-2000 a few years back and could never find one. I've since moved on, but the TC-2000s are pretty decent woofers even if someone wanted to just start over and pull them just for parts.

Good luck.
They are massive and well built drivers for sure. Darren was very kind in helping me look at the options in reusing these or starting from scratch with a couple DIY subs. In the end with no sub in the system, not much in the way of woodworking tools, and a lack of time I ended up just buying a sub. In another year I will add a twin and get to a multi sub setup. I thought very hard about trying to split the TC-2000's into separate cabinets and getting another external amp to run them, but it just wasn't going to be feasible to get done any time soon.

I'll probably end up just throwing the thing on Craigslist, but thought someone on here may want to tackle a project like this. They did hit very hard hooked up to the Dayton sub amp. They have some crazy low extension for 12" drivers.

post #4064 of 4162 Old 06-18-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that we are going to check out QDOGS BBQ tonight. Hopefully they don't run out of yummy stuff before we get there.

Also, what is Jeff's username here?

- Nick Buol

post #4065 of 4162 Old 06-18-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I think that we are going to check out QDOGS BBQ tonight. Hopefully they don't run out of yummy stuff before we get there.

Also, what is Jeff's username here?

JeffC

Can't say that I have seen him on here in quite a while though!

post #4066 of 4162 Old 06-19-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Food was good (pricing in person was more than what I found burried on their unfinished web site), but service was just "meh."

We were sat by a friendly gentleman, took our server several minutes to stop by our table, took almost 5 more minutes to get our drinks, and then we didn't see her for about 10 minutes to take our food order. Then she took the order, and we never saw here again until well after we were finished eating. Would have been nice to get a drink refill.

I would still go back since it is still decently priced and the pulled pork is mighty tasty.

- Nick Buol

post #4067 of 4162 Old 06-19-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD S View Post
JeffC

Can't say that I have seen him on here in quite a while though!
Looks like his last time on was 03/03/2012, so yup. A 2+ year disapearance from here.

- Nick Buol

Last edited by nickbuol; 06-19-2014 at 06:59 AM.
post #4068 of 4162 Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

nick,

Agree on the service. We were there again on Father's Day and the least frequent presence at our table was our original waitress. But, it felt more like growing pains that should smooth out over time with more experience and training. The slack from our original waitress was more than picked up by another waitress and the owner himself.

The chicken and the ribs were delicious.

Since this is an HT thread, I should mention that I've spent the last few weeks working on my iRule remote with some success. So, its time to update my thread. But, how do I take a screen shot of my iRule page to post in my thread? Anybody?

post #4069 of 4162 Old 06-19-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post
how do I take a screen shot of my iRule page to post in my thread? Anybody?
On any iOS device, to take a screen shot simply click the Home & Sleep/Wake buttons at the same time. The screen shot is now in your "Photos" app.

Now send me some chicken and ribs.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

post #4070 of 4162 Old 06-19-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I haven't installed iRule on my iPad because of the iPad's popularity with the rest of my family. I have iRule on the Sony Android tablet that came with my pj.

Can anyone tell me how to take a screen shot on an Android device - hoping it is as easy as it is on iOS??

Thrillcat - What is the name of the really popular BBQ joint in Ames? We ate there a few weeks ago when we were in town for my son's ISU orientation.

post #4071 of 4162 Old 06-19-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Thrillcat - What is the name of the really popular BBQ joint in Ames? We ate there a few weeks ago when we were in town for my son's ISU orientation.
Hickory Park. It's okay. They definitely sell a lot of meat out of that place. Their spicy BBQ sauce isn't bad. For grabbing a burger and fries, it's cheaper than McDonald's and it's real beef.

But for my money I'd go to Battle's BBQ on Welch Ave. every time. MUCH better quality meat, as they don't need the quantity that HP requires. And the best lemonade in the state.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

post #4072 of 4162 Old 06-19-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Hickory Park. It's okay. They definitely sell a lot of meat out of that place. Their spicy BBQ sauce isn't bad. For grabbing a burger and fries, it's cheaper than McDonald's and it's real beef.

But for my money I'd go to Battle's BBQ on Welch Ave. every time. MUCH better quality meat, as they don't need the quantity that HP requires. And the best lemonade in the state.
I always say Hickory Park is a darn good restaurant. Not necessary a great BBQ place, or smokehouse. But a solid place to eat in general.

------

post #4073 of 4162 Old 06-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. I haven't installed iRule on my iPad because of the iPad's popularity with the rest of my family. I have iRule on the Sony Android tablet that came with my pj.

Can anyone tell me how to take a screen shot on an Android device - hoping it is as easy as it is on iOS??

Holding volume down and the power button does it on mine.
kjlewie likes this.

post #4074 of 4162 Old 06-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Have you been to Battles recently? The reason I ask is one of my coworkers and I were talking about BBQ just yesterday and he mentioned his last two trips to Battles were so disappointing he wouldn't go back. Which is sad. I work in Nevada and I remember when there was a Battles here as well as the one in Ames. This was when the original owner was still around and it was great. I was sad to hear the Ames location had gone down hill, but maybe it was just the times my friend visited.

post #4075 of 4162 Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Have you been to Battles recently? The reason I ask is one of my coworkers and I were talking about BBQ just yesterday and he mentioned his last two trips to Battles were so disappointing he wouldn't go back. Which is sad. I work in Nevada and I remember when there was a Battles here as well as the one in Ames. This was when the original owner was still around and it was great. I was sad to hear the Ames location had gone down hill, but maybe it was just the times my friend visited.
It's been a few months. I will investigate tomorrow for lunch.
post #4076 of 4162 Old 06-19-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Holding volume down and the power button does it on mine.
Worked. Thanks a bunch.

post #4077 of 4162 Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Post Random stuff

FYI - Jeff's place is experiencing some growing pains. He has made several staffing changes in the first few weeks. I've stopped in several times and the service is getting better, but still just 'ok'. But Jeff is working on it. He fired his bar manager after a week because of lack of customer satisfaction. They have hired some other new wait staff with a focus on customer service, but it takes time. The good news is, twice when I've stopped in they have been nearly sold out. Good to see the place has demand. Last Sunday they sold out and had to turn people away at the door starting at 5:00. A good problem to have, but a problem Jeff will be working on to make sure they have enough food each and every day.

ecrabb - I have your new shiny demo disc done. Let me know if you want me to ship or bring them over. I plan on playing golf with ignoringmywife on July 15th in DSM.

jeahrens - I will send you an email. If you haven't craigslisted those drivers yet, I may be interested. I like projects.

Last edited by deewan; 06-22-2014 at 07:21 AM.
post #4078 of 4162 Old 06-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Worked. Thanks a bunch.
No problem. That will be one 4K projector please

post #4079 of 4162 Old 06-20-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No problem. That will be one 4K projector please
WOW! Not even a friendly AVS discount. I thought maybe you would only charge a JVC RS-59 or something. But full 4K projector.

Then again, if that's the price for help taking a screen shot on a tablet, I wonder what my bill should look like for sub design help. I KID! I KID!!!

post #4080 of 4162 Old 06-20-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

These boys are crazy! How about we settle with a whole mess of wings and ribs and plenty of cold ones to wash it all down?
deewan likes this.

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page