Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #4111 of 4212 Old 08-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Interesting. I didn't know MakeMKV stripped the copy protection. Very nice! And a 2 bay vs. 4 bay NAS depends on how much you want to store. I know my collection is big enough that a 2 bay would be pushing it even with 4TB drives. I have almost 2TB of video with no Blu Rays stored. So I would lean towards a 4 bay just so you could throw everything at it and have room for years worth of growth.

Last edited by jeahrens; 08-19-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4212 Old 08-19-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 68
It all depends on how many movies you think you will store. I only keep movies I know I will watch again. Over the past 2 years I've chosen to store only 40-ish movies I'd care to watch again. I don't see myself ever needing to store more than 70-100 movies so 4TB is enough for me for a good many years until UHD comes out. the normal HD movie is only 25-35GB in size so 2 TB will store about 30 movies.

The nice thing about the Mede8er (and the reason I decided to not break the bank on a larger NAS) is it offers a aggregated jukebox. You can have movies stored on two different NAS, an plain jane external HDD hooked to the network, movies on a desktop computer that is on the network and a thumbdrive plugged into the media player. All the movies form all those devices will show up in your library as if they were all on one drive. Essentially the media player allows your network system and storage to be completely expandable, so you can add little by little if you want.
post #4113 of 4212 Old 08-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

I'd probably be inclined to move the collection on there for good if I did it. Which is probably why I haven't . There's too many other things that I want/need to spend $$ on first before I buy something that just keeps my fat butt from inserting a disc. Like 2 more speakers to get to a 7.1 setup...

post #4114 of 4212 Old 08-19-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I debated about 9 months ago as to if I build a media server with enough storage for movies that I will watch (sometimes repeated viewings) vs. putting every movie (blu-ray, HD-DVD, and DVD) on to it.

I went with the latter... I have 16TB of usable disc space, and I am down to 1.5TB free. I have mostly all blu-ray/HD-DVD rips, so they take up a lot of space. I also have (thanks to my wife) all of Downton Abbey from blu-ray on there. THAT is a lot of space for one group. I do have a couple of other TV shows, but I'd say that 425 movies are full HD with an average file size of 29GB each, and about another 25 are DVD quality that are mainly for when people come to visit and have younger kids. I certainly wasn't going to try to find all of the Barbie movies on anything but the existing DVDs we have, for example.

I am using 3TB drives, but am maxed out on SATA connections, so any growth for me will come in the form of 1) changing my parity drive to 4TB, and then removing my blu-ray reader and using that SATA connection for the now replaced 3TB drive and extending the array life that way.

Now that I have everything ripped in MKV format that I own, I should get about 51 more movies before I even need to do that, and that should be a couple of years. By then, 4TB (or larger) drives will be cheaper and have good performance enough to use.
post #4115 of 4212 Old 08-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I debated about 9 months ago as to if I build a media server with enough storage for movies that I will watch (sometimes repeated viewings) vs. putting every movie (blu-ray, HD-DVD, and DVD) on to it.

I went with the latter... I have 16TB of usable disc space, and I am down to 1.5TB free. I have mostly all blu-ray/HD-DVD rips, so they take up a lot of space. I also have (thanks to my wife) all of Downton Abbey from blu-ray on there. THAT is a lot of space for one group. I do have a couple of other TV shows, but I'd say that 425 movies are full HD with an average file size of 29GB each, and about another 25 are DVD quality that are mainly for when people come to visit and have younger kids. I certainly wasn't going to try to find all of the Barbie movies on anything but the existing DVDs we have, for example.

I am using 3TB drives, but am maxed out on SATA connections, so any growth for me will come in the form of 1) changing my parity drive to 4TB, and then removing my blu-ray reader and using that SATA connection for the now replaced 3TB drive and extending the array life that way.

Now that I have everything ripped in MKV format that I own, I should get about 51 more movies before I even need to do that, and that should be a couple of years. By then, 4TB (or larger) drives will be cheaper and have good performance enough to use.
UnRAID server? The wife and I jump all over on what we feel like watching enough that there wouldn't be a small slice of "most watched" films to make a small NAS work. Right now we're just using a 2TB drive in a server for TV shows and downloads (MST3K and Rifftrax). About a 1/3 rd of the DVD collection is on there too. Ripped to MP4 with Handbrake. Now that I have a WD Live in the HT I may go ahead and rip the rest of the DVD's. They don't need a lot of space once I get them ripped.

post #4116 of 4212 Old 08-20-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

FlexRAID. It is worked well for me. Then again, I started with matched drives, and all new hardware, so it isn't as "Frankenstein" as some people's setups.

Yeah, DVDs, especially if you are compressing them with Handbrake, take up very little space comparatively. Since I have this primarily for my home theater, and I have a 138" screen, I wanted 1:1 quality HD rips. My system plays at 100% quality in the home theater (wired gigabit connection), but automatically transcodes the video and audio depending on if I am watching it via my wired Roku in the living room (wired 100Mb connection), or steaming to a tablet on our WiFi, or even to my phone on 4G (I miss my unlimited data plan).

To be honest though, we pretty much use the system 90% of the time in the theater, and about 9.5% of the time via the hardwired Roku in the living room. The tablet and cell phone are just for fun, and not serious watching.
post #4117 of 4212 Old 08-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
FlexRAID. It is worked well for me. Then again, I started with matched drives, and all new hardware, so it isn't as "Frankenstein" as some people's setups.

Yeah, DVDs, especially if you are compressing them with Handbrake, take up very little space comparatively. Since I have this primarily for my home theater, and I have a 138" screen, I wanted 1:1 quality HD rips. My system plays at 100% quality in the home theater (wired gigabit connection), but automatically transcodes the video and audio depending on if I am watching it via my wired Roku in the living room (wired 100Mb connection), or steaming to a tablet on our WiFi, or even to my phone on 4G (I miss my unlimited data plan).

To be honest though, we pretty much use the system 90% of the time in the theater, and about 9.5% of the time via the hardwired Roku in the living room. The tablet and cell phone are just for fun, and not serious watching.
I use a custom high quality profile in Handbrake, so the DVD's end up being 2.5-4GB. Audio is pass through so the DD/DTS audio is still there. Still nowhere near a BD and a decent savings over the original file. I haven't noticed any real degradation either.

Sigh just too many things that I either need to buy or want to buy before I can look at a real storage solution.

post #4118 of 4212 Old 08-20-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I've seen good handbrake files in the 1.5GB range that *looked* great. They did lose some audio, but for people looking to save space and watch on a regular TV, like a guy that I work with, they work really well.
post #4119 of 4212 Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
We just left our oldest at college; much more difficult than I expected; thought I was ready, but I wasn't - my wife was right; Bittersweet is the adjective that comes to mind; ugh...

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #4120 of 4212 Old 08-21-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Interesting NAS discussion going on here, at least what I can understand. I need to give it some thought but this is sounding more and more like a potential winner for a winter project. Something like Darren's setup in design and cost with the 70-100 BD movie capacity seems about right for me. The term "Frankenstein" in this context makes me somewhat nervous.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #4121 of 4212 Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post
Interesting NAS discussion going on here, at least what I can understand. I need to give it some thought but this is sounding more and more like a potential winner for a winter project. Something like Darren's setup in design and cost with the 70-100 BD movie capacity seems about right for me. The term "Frankenstein" in this context makes me somewhat nervous.
I'm sure that was tough to see one of them leave the nest.

70-100 BD's would be pushing what you can store on a 2 bay unit. You generally setup the 2 disks to mirror each other so you're storage isn't lost when one of the disks dies. So even with 4TB drives, you'd have 4TB's left. Probably a little less once things are formatted. At 25-40GB per Blu Ray you'd be pretty close to full (averaging to 33GB gives you 3.3TB for 100 movies). I really think once you experience having that media at your finger tips you'll want more on there and not less. DVD's, music, pictures, etc. The upfront cost for a 4 bay unit is a couple hundred bucks more and you'd be buying more drives. But a 4 bay unit with more cost friendly 3TB drives would give you around 9TB. That's enough space to grow.

You'd be spending about $950 for the QNap 4 bay unit and 4 3TB Seagate NAS drives ($450 for the unit, $500 for the drives). A 2 bay Dlink and 2 4TB Seagate NAS drives would be $610 ($250 for the unit, $360 for the drives). So $340 is buying you over twice the space (4TB vs. 9TB). There are 6TB drives hitting the market for about $300/drive. So you could squeeze 6TB out of a 2 bay unit, but at about $850 for the total cost I don't know why you would.
kjlewie likes this.

post #4122 of 4212 Old 08-21-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, aren't all of the $300 6TB drives running at 5400RPM? When I built out my setup last year (a full media server, not a NAS), everyone, and I mean everyone, said to skip anything that wasn't 7200RPM or more.

Plus, in theory, you will get better performance from 4 drives than you would 2 as you are able to theoretically read from more drive platters at the same time. Real world results may be different depending on how you have the drives configured, but that is another story.

Anyway, those are my random thoughts. Basically, go 3TB. To get 9TB of space, you won't be mirroring like would would with the 6TB drives. You would be using something like RAID-5. Not the ultra-performance leader, but very much tried and true technology. You basically lose the capacity of 1 drive, but can handle 1 drive failing without any data loss.

Lots of ways to cook this turkey, but a 4-bay with 3TB drives will get you what you want, with data protection (from drive failure), good performance, and room to grow.
post #4123 of 4212 Old 08-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also, aren't all of the $300 6TB drives running at 5400RPM? When I built out my setup last year (a full media server, not a NAS), everyone, and I mean everyone, said to skip anything that wasn't 7200RPM or more.

Plus, in theory, you will get better performance from 4 drives than you would 2 as you are able to theoretically read from more drive platters at the same time. Real world results may be different depending on how you have the drives configured, but that is another story.

Anyway, those are my random thoughts. Basically, go 3TB. To get 9TB of space, you won't be mirroring like would would with the 6TB drives. You would be using something like RAID-5. Not the ultra-performance leader, but very much tried and true technology. You basically lose the capacity of 1 drive, but can handle 1 drive failing without any data loss.

Lots of ways to cook this turkey, but a 4-bay with 3TB drives will get you what you want, with data protection (from drive failure), good performance, and room to grow.
Honestly for home use the whole 5400 vs. 7200 RPM falls somewhat flat to me. Blu Ray maxes out around 50Mb/s. Which is 7MB/s (lowercase b=bit, uppercase B=byte, 8 bits = 1 byte). As long as the drive can sustain that it will be transparent. When you're talking multi drive arrays then you have the aggregate performance of several drives (minus some overhead for RAID). Anand has a good shootout of 6TB drives and the WD Red, even with it's 5700 RPM rotational deficit, still competed very well with the Seagate and Hitachi drives (both 7200 RPM). For what were talking about, mainly video playback, a 4 bay NAS even saddled with slower drives will handle multiple HD video feeds. Even if QHD triples the video bandwidth it will be fine.

Now having said all that, I would usually recommend 7200 RPM drives unless there is a massive premium. They have better response time and usually a bit more cache since the drive is more performance oriented. Still the difference won't be huge.

If you want to really nerd out on storage we put in a 8 bay NAS loaded with 6 Intel Enterprise SSD's for loading aerial photos for GIS. It effortlessly saturates it's 2-1Gb links. It's a beast.

post #4124 of 4212 Old 08-21-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree completely... I am going to add some additional information. This is for others that are reading on this subject jeahrens, since you seem to have some understanding on the subject.

"Real world" (whatever that means) data transfer rates for drive (based off of RPM speed, and knowing that RPM speed doesn't mean everything) has been shown on a couple of sites as follows:

5400 RPM --- 75MB/s
7200 RPM --- 100MB/s
10000 RPM --- 140MB/s

All fall well above the 54Mb/s (or 6.75 MB/s) minimum (and really, the current maximum *required*) blu-ray data transfer requirement.

And yes, as we both mention, if that data is striped (spread) across multiple drives, you should get even better hard drive throughput.

Another factors that improve hard drive performance: data density...

Take two 1TB hard drives with the same RPM speed. One has a single 1TB platter inside, and the other has (2) 500GB platters, the single 1TB platter will win in performance every time. This is just in data seek times since the data is crammed closer together on the single platter, but it will make a difference if multiple files are being read from the same disk.

So combine those together and a 5400RPM drive may work for your needs, but you can even go to YouTube and search people comparing and timing the difference in computing speed (boot ups, copies, shut downs) and see a big difference in performance by going to 7200RPM. But yes, for what we are trying to do here, it actually probably doesn't matter until you start sending multiple movies at full bitrate across your home gigabit network at the same time to different displays. I just know that with my setup I can do, what I mentioned earlier, or a full 100% data transmission to my HT, a reduced 24MB/s playback to my Roku, stream across our 102 Mb (small b)/s wireless, which always seems to be more like 70Mb/s in real use to my daughter's tablet, and I can get something on my phone via 4G (not sure what the server is transcoding the audio/video down to for the tablet or cell phone), all at the same time without a hiccup. I fear that with 5400 RPM drives I may have seen a "blip" here or there, and it wasn't worth the risk. I mean, I was going to go with 4TB 5400RPM drives for my build and instead went with more 3TB 7200RPM drives to get the space that I wanted. I am glad I did. Then again, it actually cost me less at about $100 ave per 3TB drive due to waiting for sales vs. what was about $180 per drive for the extra 1TB per drive in 5400RPM.

Some things NOT to get hung up on are SATA 2 (300MB/s) vs SATA 3 (600 MB/s). Currently SATA 2 can handle the data throughput of even some lightning fast 15,000 RPM drives that max out around 200MB/s. Of course, if you are buying new, go for SATA 3 (or whatever is the current and latest spec).

Another non-issue is cache. Back when drives had 1 or 2 MB of cache, it was a big deal, but getting above 8MB and you won't see much, if any improvement. Tom's Hardware did a test on disks with different cache sizes a few years back. It compared 8MB vs 16MB cache, and the difference was 2.1% faster, which is just over 1 second for every minute. Other go on to say that it is even less increase when the cache gets above 32MB, and almost pointless for anyone accessing random, rarely used, very large files (like a movie RIP), since the cache has only frequently stored data in it.

Anyway, we've talked drives almost to death. I think that we both still recommend going 4-bay, with 3TB 7200RPM drives.

Last edited by nickbuol; 08-23-2014 at 01:07 AM.
post #4125 of 4212 Old 08-21-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I use Synology Diskstation's and love them. Total of 28TB.
post #4126 of 4212 Old 08-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree completely... I am going to add some additional information. This is for others that are reading on this subject jeahrens, since you seem to have some understanding on the subject.

"Real world" (whatever that means) data transfer rates for drive (based off of RPM speed, and knowing that RPM speed doesn't mean everything) has been shown on a couple of sites as follows:

5400 RPM --- 75MB/s
7200 RPM --- 100MB/s
10000 RPM --- 140MB/s

All fall above the 54MB/s minimum (and really, the current maximum *required*) blu-ray data transfer requirement.

And yes, as we both mention, if that data is striped (spread) across multiple drives, you should get even better hard drive throughput.

Another factors that improve hard drive performance: data density...

Take two 1TB hard drives with the same RPM speed. One has a single 1TB platter inside, and the other has (2) 500GB platters, the single 1TB platter will win in performance every time. This is just in data seek times since the data is crammed closer together on the single platter, but it will make a difference if multiple files are being read from the same disk.

So combine those together and a 5400RPM drive may work for your needs, but you can even go to YouTube and search people comparing and timing the difference in computing speed (boot ups, copies, shut downs) and see a big difference in performance by going to 7200RPM. But yes, for what we are trying to do here, it actually probably doesn't matter until you start sending multiple movies at full bitrate across your home gigabit network at the same time to different displays. I just know that with my setup I can do, what I mentioned earlier, or a full 100% data transmission to my HT, a reduced 24MB/s playback to my Roku, stream across our 102 Mb (small b)/s wireless, which always seems to be more like 70Mb/s in real use to my daughter's tablet, and I can get something on my phone via 4G (not sure what the server is transcoding the audio/video down to for the tablet or cell phone), all at the same time without a hiccup. I fear that with 5400 RPM drives I may have seen a "blip" here or there, and it wasn't worth the risk. I mean, I was going to go with 4TB 5400RPM drives for my build and instead went with more 3TB 7200RPM drives to get the space that I wanted. I am glad I did. Then again, it actually cost me less at about $100 ave per 3TB drive due to waiting for sales vs. what was about $180 per drive for the extra 1TB per drive in 5400RPM.

Some things NOT to get hung up on are SATA 2 (300MB/s) vs SATA 3 (600 MB/s). Currently SATA 2 can handle the data throughput of even some lightning fast 15,000 RPM drives that max out around 200MB/s. Of course, if you are buying new, go for SATA 3 (or whatever is the current and latest spec).

Another non-issue is cache. Back when drives had 1 or 2 MB of cache, it was a big deal, but getting above 8MB and you won't see much, if any improvement. Tom's Hardware did a test on disks with different cache sizes a few years back. It compared 8MB vs 16MB cache, and the difference was 2.1% faster, which is just over 1 second for every minute. Other go on to say that it is even less increase when the cache gets above 32MB, and almost pointless for anyone accessing random, rarely used, very large files (like a movie RIP), since the cache has only frequently stored data in it.

Anyway, we've talked drives almost to death. I think that we both still recommend going 4-bay, with 3TB 7200RPM drives.
It's funny I had a paragraph on platter densities typed up and removed it. I didn't want poor Kimball to cross his eyes and go back to enjoying that 4K projector.

One thing to note is that Blu Ray bitrate is in Mbps not MB/s. So the data stream is only about 7MB/s. So about any array can sustain that. Single drive speed is relevant, but the combined array performance is what we're concerned with. RAID overhead means we can't simply multiply the single drive speed x # of drives, but you'll generally see more speed than a single platter. And more even speeds. Cache is never a bad thing to have, but as you mention past a certain point it can provide diminishing returns. The real world performance of the WD Red 6TB drive is very, very close to its 7200RPM competition. Close enough that price and reliability would be what would ultimately drive my decision. Of course 3TB is the sweet spot right now. 4 and 6TB are still high margin for the drive manufacturers and only worth it if you have to have that kind of density.

Last edited by jeahrens; 08-22-2014 at 08:44 AM.
post #4127 of 4212 Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
I use Synology Diskstation's and love them. Total of 28TB.
They are really nice units. We use them for tapeless backups and that SSD array I mentioned earlier.

post #4128 of 4212 Old 08-23-2014, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
It's funny I had a paragraph on platter densities typed up and removed it. I didn't want poor Kimball to cross his eyes and go back to enjoying that 4K projector.

One thing to note is that Blu Ray bitrate is in Mbps not MB/s. So the data stream is only about 7MB/s. So about any array can sustain that. Single drive speed is relevant, but the combined array performance is what we're concerned with. RAID overhead means we can't simply multiply the single drive speed x # of drives, but you'll generally see more speed than a single platter. And more even speeds. Cache is never a bad thing to have, but as you mention past a certain point it can provide diminishing returns. The real world performance of the WD Red 6TB drive is very, very close to its 7200RPM competition. Close enough that price and reliability would be what would ultimately drive my decision. Of course 3TB is the sweet spot right now. 4 and 6TB are still high margin for the drive manufacturers and only worth it if you have to have that kind of density.
Ooops.. Typo on my part. I fixed my original post. I even went back to where I got the 54 Mb/s number to make sure that I didn't just copy it at MB/s, and nope... Brain fart and I just typed it wrong, or held the shift key too long.

Again, we are just circling around the same thing... 3TB 7200RPM drives are the current price/performance sweet spot.

Now I am going to bed. Spent all day packing up my daughter's stuff to take to Drake (2 hour 15 minute drive each way) and then move her in to a house that she and 5 others are renting. LOTS of issues with dealing with "promised" furniture, a broken window, and just general ton of work. Just got home at 2:00am and I am beat.
post #4129 of 4212 Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ooops.. Typo on my part. I fixed my original post. I even went back to where I got the 54 Mb/s number to make sure that I didn't just copy it at MB/s, and nope... Brain fart and I just typed it wrong, or held the shift key too long.

Again, we are just circling around the same thing... 3TB 7200RPM drives are the current price/performance sweet spot.

Now I am going to bed. Spent all day packing up my daughter's stuff to take to Drake (2 hour 15 minute drive each way) and then move her in to a house that she and 5 others are renting. LOTS of issues with dealing with "promised" furniture, a broken window, and just general ton of work. Just got home at 2:00am and I am beat.
No worries. From what you've written there's no doubt you get bits vs. bytes. I put that in there for those that may think they need something that outputs 110MB/s to stream 2 Blu Rays. Gets confusing quickly.

Sounds like moving day was a real hoot!

post #4130 of 4212 Old 08-27-2014, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So when you guys are ripping Blu Rays using MakeMKV are you including both the Lossless and DD tracks or just the Lossless tracks? Also, do you guys normally include the subtitles?
post #4131 of 4212 Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sx460 View Post
So when you guys are ripping Blu Rays using MakeMKV are you including both the Lossless and DD tracks or just the Lossless tracks? Also, do you guys normally include the subtitles?
I include both the Lossless (theater use) and DD or DTS audio tracks in case I watch the movies upstairs. With MakeMKV, it's easy to remove a audio track at a later date, but a pain to add one back (rip again).

I also include subtitles in case there is ever a part of movie I can't understand and want to read what the person is saying (Pretty much any Johnny Depp movie) and make sure I always include forced subtitle.
post #4132 of 4212 Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
I include both the Lossless (theater use) and DD or DTS audio tracks in case I watch the movies upstairs. With MakeMKV, it's easy to remove a audio track at a later date, but a pain to add one back (rip again).

I also include subtitles in case there is ever a part of movie I can't understand and want to read what the person is saying (Pretty much any Johnny Depp movie) and make sure I always include forced subtitle.
Interesting...how are you accessing your MKV library upstairs are you using Mede8er? Also, Nick was mentioning that he has a way of access his MKVs on his phone or from anywhere because he has a way of transcoding the MKVs on the fly and serving them up to his mobile devices. Any idea how he's pulling that off? Is he using some kind of appliance that is able to access his MKV library and then transcodes and serves them up on the fly?
post #4133 of 4212 Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I have two media players. The cheaper media player I did have in the theater was replaced with the Mede8der which performs essentially the same but has a nicer GUI. So the older player came upstairs.

Not knowing what equipment Nick has, I can't even begin to guess how he is doing it. There are many different ways to skin that cat.
post #4134 of 4212 Old 08-27-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want, for example, DTS Master Audio, in MakeMKV you MUST select the DTS-MA track, and right below it the DTS 5.1 track (it is the "core" DTS audio, and you won't get the HD audio without it). I was grabbing the regular stereo, well heck, ALL of the English audio, but found that I can transcode the DTS MA (or HD Dolby) down to DD5.1 or stereo anyway, so I stopped grabbing anything beyond the 1 or 2 "required" tracks for HD audio.

The transcoding is happening all at the server level. I am using Mediabrowser 3 Server, and Mediabrowser 3 clients for Android (phone and tablet), Roku, and MB3 Theater client for my HTPC. The server was easy to set up and works great and managing all of the client at the same time.

JRiver is pretty nice, but I didn't pick it for a few reasons. One was that I wanted something more "integrated" looking than XBMC, but also a little nicer looking (aka "slick" as my wife put it) than JRiver. Mediabrowser 3 fit that bill.

I know that had I gone with JRiver though, I wouldn't be fighting my subtitles issues, or MadVR stuff that I am with Mediabrowser because MB3 is in Alpha (not even in beta yet) so there are a lot of things that aren't implimented yet, or are a tad buggy. But not for everyone. 1 in about 50 people have issues with subtitles, and I am the lucky one in 50. MadVRcan't be run in full exclusive mode (yet) so you get a few dropped frames here and there. Not a huge deal, and you don't notice it, but it is preventing me from really cranking up visual settings to where my hardware can push the envelope.
post #4135 of 4212 Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
If you want, for example, DTS Master Audio, in MakeMKV you MUST select the DTS-MA track, and right below it the DTS 5.1 track (it is the "core" DTS audio, and you won't get the HD audio without it). I was grabbing the regular stereo, well heck, ALL of the English audio, but found that I can transcode the DTS MA (or HD Dolby) down to DD5.1 or stereo anyway, so I stopped grabbing anything beyond the 1 or 2 "required" tracks for HD audio.

The transcoding is happening all at the server level. I am using Mediabrowser 3 Server, and Mediabrowser 3 clients for Android (phone and tablet), Roku, and MB3 Theater client for my HTPC. The server was easy to set up and works great and managing all of the client at the same time.

JRiver is pretty nice, but I didn't pick it for a few reasons. One was that I wanted something more "integrated" looking than XBMC, but also a little nicer looking (aka "slick" as my wife put it) than JRiver. Mediabrowser 3 fit that bill.

I know that had I gone with JRiver though, I wouldn't be fighting my subtitles issues, or MadVR stuff that I am with Mediabrowser because MB3 is in Alpha (not even in beta yet) so there are a lot of things that aren't implimented yet, or are a tad buggy. But not for everyone. 1 in about 50 people have issues with subtitles, and I am the lucky one in 50. MadVRcan't be run in full exclusive mode (yet) so you get a few dropped frames here and there. Not a huge deal, and you don't notice it, but it is preventing me from really cranking up visual settings to where my hardware can push the envelope.
Thanks Nick for the great info. This is something I certainly see myself pursuing. Being able to transcode on the fly would be pretty sweet...having access to our library anytime anywhere would be a nice benefit.
post #4136 of 4212 Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I have two media players. The cheaper media player I did have in the theater was replaced with the Mede8der which performs essentially the same but has a nicer GUI. So the older player came upstairs.

Not knowing what equipment Nick has, I can't even begin to guess how he is doing it. There are many different ways to skin that cat.
Darren, you've inspired me to give the MED600X3D a shot. I've just purchased one and hope to have it in the next week or so. I've been able to amass a respectably large collection of Blu Rays by trading hardware with a buddy. I've been doing some testing on creating MKVs on my Mac using MakeMKV. I've been successfully ripping Blade Runner and now Fighter. It failed on all three discs from the Kubrick collection (2001, Shining, and Clockwork Orange).... they failed immediately when starting the rip so not sure what's up with that. Going to press on and see if I have more luck trying again later.
post #4137 of 4212 Old 08-28-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, I've never had a disc fail during ripping with the exception of the time I was told my MakeMKV app was out-of-date. Downloading the newest version fixed that issue. I don't own any of those movies so I can't test them myself. If you have any further questions about it, shoot me a PM or email. Always happy to help.

I really like my 600X3D. Once I had it setup properly, I've had no troubles with it and I've really liked some of the firmware updates. The newest update allows you to play (stream) the official movie trailer of the movie you have selected. Sort of a neat feature and one that doesn't get in the way of the functionality of the unit.
post #4138 of 4212 Old 09-16-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hey, Iowa peeps. Just checkin' in from sunny Utah. We finally got packed up and moved out the end of July. We've been here about six weeks now and finally getting settled in at our new place in the foothills near Salt Lake City. We are missing some friends and family, but we really miss the theater. I kid, but yes - we do really miss having a theater. Time to start saving pennies for a new build... Stat.

The Utah AVS crowd looks be either really inactive, or practically nonexistent. Maybe it's because they're all out running, boating, hiking, or four-wheeling. The weather is gorgeous here! I think once it starts snowing, I'll post in a few of the Utah threads and see if I can stir the pot. If nothing else, maybe I can shame them into being more active by pointing to the awesome Iowa thread.

So, I was at CEDIA last week, but of course I've ruined my hobby by making a career of it. The only demo I was able to make it into was the Dolby Atmos demo. Great. Need more speakers. I didn't see the new Epson projectors, only stopped at the JVC booth for two minutes (though nothing new anyway), same with Integra, and ran around and snapped a few pics for half an hour. That's it. Didn't see or hear about anything earth-shattering. Atmos was the talk of the show. I heard the Golden Ears Atmos demo was great, as was the Wisdom demo, but they were but two of the many things I missed. Missing the old days of walking the show at my leisure and seeing exactly what I wanted to see with IgnoringMyWife.

Sorry about last weekend, Deewan! Wait, what am I saying… No, I'm really not sorry.

Cheers, guys! Hope all is well back in the cornfields!

SC

PS - My Iowa home buyer negotiated to by my CEO's projector and my speakers, put in his own sub, entry-level AVR, and some low-end LG BD player. Then, I heard he rented the place out. So, now you know what became of the Prairie Home Cinema.
thrillcat likes this.

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #4139 of 4212 Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
Sorry about last weekend, Deewan! Wait, what am I saying… No, I'm really not sorry.

Cheers, guys! Hope all is well back in the cornfields!

SC

PS - My Iowa home buyer negotiated to by my CEO's projector and my speakers, put in his own sub, entry-level AVR, and some low-end LG BD player. Then, I heard he rented the place out. So, now you know what became of the Prairie Home Cinema.
As long as you can name ISU's starting QB, know the rules of the game, OR knew what time the game started you are free to talk all the sheet you want about the game.... I will allow it.

I started my Monday morning off with a 2.5 hour meeting with auditors, come out to find my cube covered in ISU magnets and banners. A coworker comes over and starts talking about the game. He went to ISU, never attended a game though, and said he couldn't watch the game Saturday because he was busy at his kids soccer game until 2:00 or so….. (game started at 2:30 but apparently he thought it kicked off at 11:05). Even though he didn't know when the game was played he had the testicular fortitude to bring it up to brag. So I gave him the "Dude, you’re entering the Kenny Loggins danger zone,’’ look as another coworker who sits next to me was nice enough to tell him it wasn't a good time and he should vacate my immediate location.

20 minutes later the lady who decorated my cube shows up... talks some smack, and then adds, "You have to admit it was really stupid for the Iowa coach to call a time out after ISU missed the field goal to give them another chance." Ex-squeeze me? Baking Powder? Apparently this lady wasn't aware that the timeout was called BEFORE ISU snapped the ball and missed the first attempt. She believes Iowa somehow called and time out after the play to magically give ISU another chance to win the game.

And last but not least, the last ISU fan brave enough to approach me kept talking about how good ISU is after beating Iowa and nearly beating that other team that is really good (I'm assuming he meant K-State). I asked him to name ISU's starting QB. He replied, "I don't know his name, but it doesn't matter. ISU won."

And that is why I hate losing to ISU. I don't mind true ISU fans making jokes. True ISU fans (I'm including ecrabb in this) will take a shot, but can discuss the game.

*Purple font refers to Wayne's World and music references... after all this is a HT thread, right?
post #4140 of 4212 Old 09-16-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
And that is why I hate losing to ISU. I don't mind true ISU fans making jokes. True ISU fans (I'm including ecrabb in this) will take a shot, but can discuss the game.
I guess I don't see the ISU fans who don't know any names or how the game is played as significantly different than the ridiculously over-bearing Hawkeye super-fans I've known, most of which have never racked up a single credit in a University of Iowa lecture hall, nor have many of them ever been in Iowa City for any reason other than a game at Kinnick.

"Wow… You're a pretty big fan of the Hawks. When did you graduate?"

"I didn't actually go to school there."

"Ah, OK. Cool… So, your mom or dad was a Hawk, then?"

"Nope."

"Ah, brother or sister, perhaps?"

"No, dammit! I'm just a big fan, OK??!?"

"Sure, makes complete sense. I totally get why you love the Hawks and hate the Cyclones."

I find that just as obnoxious as I'm sure you do the ISU fans who throw stuff in your face. Of course, at least most of them actually went to school in Ames.

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page