Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #4141 of 4149 Old 09-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello Iowa members. It's been a while, but I wanted to share a story from this past weekend. I was up in Rocky Mountain National Park hiking on Sunday and was coming down from Hallett Peak when I ran into 2 guys coming up the trail in shorts and t-shirts with no packs and 1 water bottle between them. The clouds were coming in quickly and a storm was likely. We were right around treeline so getting caught in a storm with no rain gear or warm clothes is asking to get hypothermia. I asked the 2 guys if they had any rain gear and they said no and wondered if that would be a problem. I noticed they had British accents so I explained to them they were doing something pretty silly. They agreed and decided to turn around. We got to talking and they said they were in Denver for a convention. I asked them if it was CEDIA and they said yes. So I asked them which company they were with and they said Monitor Audio. My first real pair of speakers was from Monitor Audio so we started talking about them. We talked for a while and right when they left us the one guy gave me his card and told me he was the owner of Monitor Audio and he thanked me for stopping them from a potential problem (and missed flight). How random that I would run into him on a hike in the national park.
kjlewie likes this.

My build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4149 Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Well, I'm an Iowa fan who attended UNI and whose dad went to ISU. So I'm the worst of the worst in your eyes. Didn't attend Iowa and only go to Iowa City to watch basketball or football games, or sometimes shop with the wife. I just happened to have Iowa as my team after I attended a game when I was 7-8 and thought it was the greatest thing ever. I'm also a big Bears fan despite not living in Chicago and never attending a regular season game (one playoff game though). But I know the coaching staff of the Bears, have been to spring training 3-4 times, know the players, and their strengths and weaknesses. So I apologize if I am ridiculously over-bearing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4143 of 4149 Old 09-16-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by guamguam View Post
Hello Iowa members. It's been a while, but I wanted to share a story from this past weekend. I was up in Rocky Mountain National Park hiking on Sunday and was coming down from Hallett Peak when I ran into 2 guys coming up the trail in shorts and t-shirts with no packs and 1 water bottle between them. The clouds were coming in quickly and a storm was likely. We were right around treeline so getting caught in a storm with no rain gear or warm clothes is asking to get hypothermia. I asked the 2 guys if they had any rain gear and they said no and wondered if that would be a problem. I noticed they had British accents so I explained to them they were doing something pretty silly. They agreed and decided to turn around. We got to talking and they said they were in Denver for a convention. I asked them if it was CEDIA and they said yes. So I asked them which company they were with and they said Monitor Audio. My first real pair of speakers was from Monitor Audio so we started talking about them. We talked for a while and right when they left us the one guy gave me his card and told me he was the owner of Monitor Audio and he thanked me for stopping them from a potential problem (and missed flight). How random that I would run into him on a hike in the national park.
...and that's when you ask for a discount.

"Hey, remember that time I saved your life...."

post #4144 of 4149 Old 09-16-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The one thing that Hawkeye Fans and Cyclone Fans have in common is . . .

Neither one went to the University of Iowa!

:rimshot: Thank you thank you. Be sure to tip your servers!

------

post #4145 of 4149 Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 110
So Deewan is a Purplehawk. Huh.

So, we really should've made a bet that the losing team's fans had to host a game replay in their theater for the winning team's fans and bring us beers and chips and chili.

Of course, since the game was played in Kinnick, the Big Ten Network owns the rights for rebroadcasting it, but they won't replay it since it doesn't back up their delusional idea that the B1G is best at everything.

I was at the game. Last time I go to Kinnick. It's a beautiful structure, good sight lines, but Iowa spread out all the ISU ticket allotment all over the stadium. Two years ago I was 5 rows off the field behind ISU at the goal line (that's the year we won 9-6). This year I was in the very top row in the corner of the north end zone (this year we won 20-17).

Not sure why Iowa fans were so surprised that we won. I mean, you had a tough time with UNI, had to pull off a miracle to beat Ball State. And Iowa State hadn't won in Kinnick since, oh, yeah, the last time we were there.

Anyway, I totally understand why Iowa fans don't buy the tickets anymore. Watching that game in my theater would've been a much better experience, except for the lack of hawkeye tears.

That is all.
brausch and NickTheGreat like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

post #4146 of 4149 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Oh, one more thing - if you're ever asked "who is Iowa State's _______?", just answer either "Sam Richardson", "the Lazard kid" or "that Kamari guy". We have two of each, so the odds are better.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

post #4147 of 4149 Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
That's an awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
kjlewie likes this.

post #4148 of 4149 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
Hey, Iowa peeps. Just checkin' in from sunny Utah. We finally got packed up and moved out the end of July. We've been here about six weeks now and finally getting settled in at our new place in the foothills near Salt Lake City. We are missing some friends and family, but we really miss the theater. I kid, but yes - we do really miss having a theater. Time to start saving pennies for a new build... Stat.

The Utah AVS crowd looks be either really inactive, or practically nonexistent. Maybe it's because they're all out running, boating, hiking, or four-wheeling. The weather is gorgeous here! I think once it starts snowing, I'll post in a few of the Utah threads and see if I can stir the pot. If nothing else, maybe I can shame them into being more active by pointing to the awesome Iowa thread.

So, I was at CEDIA last week, but of course I've ruined my hobby by making a career of it. The only demo I was able to make it into was the Dolby Atmos demo. Great. Need more speakers. I didn't see the new Epson projectors, only stopped at the JVC booth for two minutes (though nothing new anyway), same with Integra, and ran around and snapped a few pics for half an hour. That's it. Didn't see or hear about anything earth-shattering. Atmos was the talk of the show. I heard the Golden Ears Atmos demo was great, as was the Wisdom demo, but they were but two of the many things I missed. Missing the old days of walking the show at my leisure and seeing exactly what I wanted to see with IgnoringMyWife.

Sorry about last weekend, Deewan! Wait, what am I saying… No, I'm really not sorry.

Cheers, guys! Hope all is well back in the cornfields!

SC

PS - My Iowa home buyer negotiated to by my CEO's projector and my speakers, put in his own sub, entry-level AVR, and some low-end LG BD player. Then, I heard he rented the place out. So, now you know what became of the Prairie Home Cinema.
When you said you were moving for some reason I thought you were just relocating somewhere around the metro. Guess not . Hope you're enjoying Utah. The wife and I are hoping to visit someday. Zion is breathtaking. Don't be a stranger.

post #4149 of 4149 Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Hey there guam! I agree with jeahrens. This is a cool story.
guamguam likes this.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page