29Likes
post #4201 of 4217 Old 12-10-2014, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
Wow. That is a steal. Somebody take him up on that!
I would like to but my wife would kill me as I already have a 10x10 climate controlled storage unit that contains my excess gear. I prefer to go through life without getting castrated with a spoon. Hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4217 Old 12-11-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 180
See you guys 3:00 on Sunday. I will send an email out tomorrow night.
post #4203 of 4217 Old 12-12-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 180
post #4204 of 4217 Old 12-14-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Email sent...let me know if you don't get it.
Thanks for allowing us to come check out your amazing theater today. Very impressive.

I went out and bought the Metallica blu ray tonight. That song One, just an amazing display. After seeing your amazing theater, I actually still enjoy my super cheap theater. My speakers leave a little to be desired, as does my seating. But overall I'm still pretty happy. Hopefully my next theater will bridge the gap between what I have now and what you have a little.

/edit Pics are not amazing, they were taken with my cell phone, without pausing the movie. lol

post #4205 of 4217 Old 12-15-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 70
A big thanks to Dave for opening up his theater. A very, very impressive setup. Those horns opened up sounded wonderful. Reminded me a lot of the Klipsch setup I had previously (except better). The live concert material really came alive. The bass response was exceptionally tight. You can really tell how much thought went into that setup.

Last edited by jeahrens; 12-15-2014 at 08:59 AM.
post #4206 of 4217 Old 12-15-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The mini-meet! Nice to be able to put it together so quickly and smoothly. What live concert material did you demo? Metallica and...?

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #4207 of 4217 Old 12-15-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post
The mini-meet! Nice to be able to put it together so quickly and smoothly. What live concert material did you demo? Metallica and...?
Drum solo from the Cream Albert Hall concert (I need to pick that one up). I think that was it (feels like I am forgetting one though). Couple of 2ch tracks as well.

Horns have their own distinct sound and I've always found them to do very well with live concerts. I think it's because the arrays at concerts are almost always horns. So you equate that sound with that type of venue. The Klipsch's I had from the 90's sounded similar, but were more rolled off on top. The JTR's don't have that problem and manage the highs very deftly. At the levels they were playing (which was pretty darn loud) they still didn't cross the line over into harsh territory. One of the reasons I steered away from Klipsch when I finally decided to replace my old setup was that most of the consumer line I could audition suffered from being very thin and harsh. Supposedly their audiophile lineup alleviates that, but I couldn't find anywhere to audition them.

Last edited by jeahrens; 12-15-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #4208 of 4217 Old 12-15-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Drum solo from the Cream Albert Hall concert (I need to pick that one up). I think that was it (feels like I am forgetting one though). Couple of 2ch tracks as well.
Are you talking about the one in this video?

I know that I will get some flak for this, but I have never been overly impressed with that solo. Most of the time he is just stomping his right and left feet to quarter notes, and playing whatever his arms flail around to. I've heard Ginger play better solos that that one, and not just when he was younger, so maybe you are talking about a different solo. That was just the first Google hit that came back. I've been playing drums and percussion for over 32 years, I've been around some great drummers. Many of which far exceed my talent. I've listened to and watched many more thanks to YouTube and convert videos. I've seen people that can just play very fast, and while that can be very technical, it isn't musical. I've heard people play very enjoyable pieces, but they lacked "pizzaz" that often comes from a little speed. Am I at a professional level today? No. Have I played trap set professionally for a few rock, jazz, and even big band groups? Yes. That seems like a lifetime ago though. I am always on the lookout for music pieces that have quality drum solos in them. That is something that I always enjoy.
post #4209 of 4217 Old 12-15-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gze0PxDKgQ

I know that I will get some flak for this, but I have never been overly impressed with that solo. Most of the time he is just stomping his right and left feet to quarter notes, and playing whatever his arms flail around to.
Yes, that is the solo. I use the last 3-4 minutes for my demo's and I think David does the same. We have the Blu-ray version. It is chosen for the dynamics of the recording and for the the way the bass is mixed in the main channels, but I like the song a lot, too.
post #4210 of 4217 Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gze0PxDKgQ

I know that I will get some flak for this, but I have never been overly impressed with that solo. Most of the time he is just stomping his right and left feet to quarter notes, and playing whatever his arms flail around to. I've heard Ginger play better solos that that one, and not just when he was younger, so maybe you are talking about a different solo. That was just the first Google hit that came back. I've been playing drums and percussion for over 32 years, I've been around some great drummers. Many of which far exceed my talent. I've listened to and watched many more thanks to YouTube and convert videos. I've seen people that can just play very fast, and while that can be very technical, it isn't musical. I've heard people play very enjoyable pieces, but they lacked "pizzaz" that often comes from a little speed. Am I at a professional level today? No. Have I played trap set professionally for a few rock, jazz, and even big band groups? Yes. That seems like a lifetime ago though. I am always on the lookout for music pieces that have quality drum solos in them. That is something that I always enjoy.
That looks like it. I'm sure as DesertDome said the dynamics were the reason Dave choose it. It really showcased how ridiculously tight the bass is in his setup. Drum wise it's hard to beat Neil Peart whom I've seen live a few times. The Police: Certifiable Blu Ray has a really nice percussive showcase for "Wrapped Around Your Finger". Not fast, but really interesting choices by Copeland. I made Slarity sit through it when he visited. He'd never heard The Police that young whipper-snapper.

post #4211 of 4217 Old 12-16-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Not fast, but really interesting choices by Copeland. I made Slarity sit through it when he visited. He'd never heard The Police that young whipper-snapper.
Face palm.

The bands we listened to in high school and college (like the Police) are to kids now what the The Beatles were to us back then. Lord.

Still, never heard of Sting or The Police? These kids... I tell ya!

SC
nickbuol likes this.

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #4212 of 4217 Old 12-16-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
Face palm.

The bands we listened to in high school and college (like the Police) are to kids now what the The Beatles were to us back then. Lord.

Still, never heard of Sting or The Police? These kids... I tell ya!

SC
My older brother made sure I got exposed to a wide variety of music so I was no stranger to The Beatles. If he hadn't I'm sure it would have been something I picked up later. But yeah it does make one feel pretty ancient

post #4213 of 4217 Unread Yesterday, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I haven't updated my iRule app on my Sony tablet for quite some time - not since shortly after our CR meet this Spring.

I attempted to update the app and noticed that the app seemed to uninstall and reinstall a new copy. It seemed weird but I didn't think too much of it as all of my devices were there. But, all of my connections from the devices to my network are gone. I'm quite cranky because I have to assume that I did something wrong. This is particularly disappointing because I considered it more than a small achievement to add the devices and get everything connected and functioning.

After taking some time to recover from this stout, knee buckling, body blow, I will be digging through my notes looking for all of that network settings schtuff...after a visit to the iRule forum...ugh...now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #4214 of 4217 Unread Yesterday, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post
So, I haven't updated my iRule app on my Sony tablet for quite some time - not since shortly after our CR meet this Spring.

I attempted to update the app and noticed that the app seemed to uninstall and reinstall a new copy. It seemed weird but I didn't think too much of it as all of my devices were there. But, all of my connections from the devices to my network are gone. I'm quite cranky because I have to assume that I did something wrong. This is particularly disappointing because I considered it more than a small achievement to add the devices and get everything connected and functioning.

After taking some time to recover from this stout, knee buckling, body blow, I will be digging through my notes looking for all of that network settings schtuff...after a visit to the iRule forum...ugh...now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
You know how to reach me if you have questions. Also, next time you can save your gateway settings. I can show you Saturday if you want.
post #4215 of 4217 Unread Yesterday, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Darren. I would be very interested in saving the settings.
post #4216 of 4217 Unread Yesterday, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Don't know if I will get on here again before the holiday's hit so I wanted to wish every one a very happy holiday season. I hope you get to spend it with loved ones and you get those new goodies you asked Santa for!
thrillcat likes this.
post #4217 of 4217 Unread Today, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Technology is great KJLewie... when it works.

Happy holidays to all!

I'm looking forward to some relaxation in the basement over the long holiday weekend. With The Hobbit films wrapping up, it may be time to dust off the LotR EE Blu Rays. Still need to spin up Guardians, but I think that will be this weekend.

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page