IA Meet? - Page 149 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 75Likes

post #4441 of 4458 Old 03-16-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 99
FYI, for anyone of the Iowa thread guys who aren't attending the HT Crawl in a couple weeks but want some new gear, Kent will extend the deals to anyone of my Iowa 'friends'. As I noted in the HT Crawl thread, GoldenEar speakers can be drop shipped to your home, so they would ship directly to you from GoldenEar. In addition to the specific deals listed, Kent has other deals on some of his other brands. Contact Kent or me for details. If you have't spoken to Kent before and you contact him, just tell him you know Darren and he'll hook you up.
kjlewie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 4458 Old 03-18-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, here are the specific deals for the projectors. If you have any questions, concerns, or what to place an order you can contact either Kent at Hawkeye or me.

Kent Farley
Hawkeye Audio
319-277-4566
hawkeyeaudio@cfu.net

Darren (deewan) - please use AVS system Messaging. Or if you already have my email or phone number go ahead.

Just a reminder the Sony 350ES is Sony's new 4K projector. If you want an Oppo please order ahead of time so Kent can deliver them at the event. Preferred payment is cash or check at day of event to save on the hassle of credit card payments outside the store.

post #4443 of 4458 Old 03-21-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I just put a couple of my subs and amps up for sale in the classifieds. Take a look and let me know if you are interested, thanks:

FS: Dual Driver Dayton Ultimax 15" Subwoofers and Crown XLS 2000 Amps
deewan and ZLTFUL like this.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #4444 of 4458 Old 04-11-2015, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Spent some time at jeahrens this afternoon and wanted to comment on that JVC he has, it's awesome! After going through what he played on the crawl I stayed a bit longer and we watched the final battle in Iron Man 3. It's at night and the bright colors of all the different suits and the glow of the extremis soldiers was quite impressive...yeah for black levels!

post #4445 of 4458 Old 04-12-2015, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Spent some time at jeahrens this afternoon and wanted to comment on that JVC he has, it's awesome! After going through what he played on the crawl I stayed a bit longer and we watched the final battle in Iron Man 3. It's at night and the bright colors of all the different suits and the glow of the extremis soldiers was quite impressive...yeah for black levels!
I've been impressed every time I've seen his JVC. That thing is just awesome. He uses a darbee as well for detail, I'm very close to ordering one to see how it works on mine.
post #4446 of 4458 Old 04-12-2015, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Being a JVC owner, I'm sure I don't have a unbiased opinion, but I completely agree with both of you. I have the RS-4910 and it is simply amazing. I remember the first time I plugged it in and straight out of the box the contrast and colors amazed me. With the Darbee chip, Oppo-103, and e-shift all working together, my JVC throws out an stunning quasi-4K picture that I am VERY happy with.
ZLTFUL likes this.
post #4447 of 4458 Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Thanks for the kind words on the JVC. I really had to stretch my budget to get it, but it's been worth it. I'll probably pick up another bulb soon as I intend to keep it until 4K is within my budget. The current one should last me a while. After a year and change I'm still running with the iris closed down quite a bit. Guess I'm not a brightness junky. And I probably should get it calibrated at some point.

Hopefully this year I'll get to 7.1. Doubt I will go Atmos. The room would be a bear to set it up in. Next year will hopefully see the 2nd sub (unless I find a killer deal on a used one).
kjlewie likes this.

post #4448 of 4458 Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Like Joel and Deewan, I'm also very biased. But, after seeing so many of them in home theaters and at CEDIA, and watching my RS45 for almost two years in my own room, I really, really like the JVC projectors. I'm "theaterless" at the moment, but when I can build my new room, it will no doubt be a JVC that goes in there. Probably a 4910 if I can find a deal on one, or if I can't, then a used or B-stock RS56 - because I really want eShift.

Loving it out here in Utah, but missing the Iowa camaraderie! Happy tax day! :roll eyes:

Cheers,
SC
kjlewie likes this.

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #4449 of 4458 Old 04-15-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Yeah even if JVC doesn't revisit the ~$3500 price point on their new lineups I would still try to find a way to stick with them when going to 4K. They just seem to get what I'm looking for in a projector.

Glad you're enjoying Utah. Be sure to post pics when the build starts

post #4450 of 4458 Old 04-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Yeah even if JVC doesn't revisit the ~$3500 price point on their new lineups I would still try to find a way to stick with them when going to 4K. They just seem to get what I'm looking for in a projector.

Glad you're enjoying Utah. Be sure to post pics when the build starts
Your JVC is about as close to the Pioneer Kuro that I have seen so that is why I will be getting one at some point. I think you could do atmos if B&W made some "atmos" speakers, the ones that bounce sound off the ceiling. I don't plan to go down that road until B&W makes an up firing speaker and I can get gear with the latest HDMI/HDCP spec, then I should be able to go right to UHD. We need more content too.

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #4451 of 4458 Old 04-15-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Up-firing Atmos speakers.... I've vocied my thoughts about this before. I always laugh when people mention adding Atmos using up-firing speakers so they can have Atmos. First, I have not read a review yet that up-firing Atmos speakers are any good. They do add something, but it isn't Atmos. Second, during acoustic room design or room correction software, one of the first things corrected is the first reflection points for both the walls and ceiling/floor. A properly designed room will have some sort of treatment on the ceiling at the first reflection point (9 times out of 10 its absorption). But now speaker companies what us to bounce sound off the ceiling for Atmos?!?!? You have a choice, you can either have a good sounding room, or you can bounce sound off your ceiling with up-firing speakers and brag you have quasi-Atmos. You can't have both unless you can redefine audio science.

I instantly lose respect for a speaker company who makes speakers with up-firing Atmos speakers. So personally, I hope B&W never creates up-firing speakers as I think B&W makes very good speakers and puts sound before a money grab.
kjlewie likes this.
post #4452 of 4458 Old 04-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Up-firing Atmos speakers.... I've vocied my thoughts about this before. I always laugh when people mention adding Atmos using up-firing speakers so they can have Atmos. First, I have not read a review yet that up-firing Atmos speakers are any good. They do add something, but it isn't Atmos. Second, during acoustic room design or room correction software, one of the first things corrected is the first reflection points for both the walls and ceiling/floor. A properly designed room will have some sort of treatment on the ceiling at the first reflection point (9 times out of 10 its absorption). But now speaker companies what us to bounce sound off the ceiling for Atmos?!?!? You have a choice, you can either have a good sounding room, or you can bounce sound off your ceiling with up-firing speakers and brag you have quasi-Atmos. You can't have both unless you can redefine audio science.

I instantly lose respect for a speaker company who makes speakers with up-firing Atmos speakers. So personally, I hope B&W never creates up-firing speakers as I think B&W makes very good speakers and puts sound before a money grab.
I've never heard them but was going off of a review from someone who has heard both up firing and ceiling speakers, obviously i would love to have ceiling speakers and thats the best way to go but I can't in my current room, unless of course I hang speakers from the ceiling and angle appropriately. lol

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #4453 of 4458 Old 04-16-2015, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I remember my JVC RS25 quite fondly from our previous HT. In a light controlled room we had nothing but compliments for the picture it threw. It was awfully quiet too.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #4454 of 4458 Old Today, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks Deewan for filling me in on the Iowa thread. "I never knew it existed". My wife and I work in Altoona and we commute from Marshall county. We got one of the last big Panasonic plasmas last Christmas when we found out they would not make them any more. I have a passion for construction, but I make my living in food service. I'm currently finishing up on a home that I have been building for a rental. In the next couple of years I plan to build a HT. I have read many times about the "wife factor", I'm lucky enough that my wife loves a great sound and visual experience as much as I do.
Its nice knowing that there is a dedicated thread for Iowa HT lovers. If there are other Iowa threads, please let me know
Bruce

post #4455 of 4458 Old Today, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome Bruce! We have a bunch of great guys on this thread.
ZOOM ZOOM likes this.
post #4456 of 4458 Old Today, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Bruce - you just missed the Des Moines Home Theater crawl that we held. Like Deewan said...great group of guys here in Iowa to help with any questions. Welcome to the thread!
ZOOM ZOOM likes this.
post #4457 of 4458 Old Today, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Bruce - you just missed the Des Moines Home Theater crawl that we held. Like Deewan said...great group of guys here in Iowa to help with any questions. Welcome to the thread!
It sounds like fun. My system wouldn't be worth a trip, it's in the living room. Marantz NR1403, wharfedale 10.1, PSA sub, blue ray, and an emotiva xpa3. how ever if you like Iowa wines... we have an assortment from all around Iowa. We take an annual tour of a certain region each year. our best year was the area between us and the Dubuque area. We can be found at Snus Hill winery on most Fridays through the summer.

post #4458 of 4458 Old Today, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Bruce! Welcome to the fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page