IA Meet? - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 110Likes
post #4561 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
I am torn right now. I get a new bike next spring (my wife and I alternate each year). I *love* the 1299S but for slightly less money I can have the YZF-R1M. And then that vile temptress RC8R sitting out at Hicklin keeps calling my name so I hope they sell it between now and then.
I switched from a sport bike to a Harley in my late-20's, then basically quit riding (for the most part) in my mid-30's when I had two kids. Besides the stakes going up and starting to feel some risk for the first time, it also came down whether I would ditch the family and spend my time on a solo activity. Finally sold my bike (to a friend) when we moved to Utah last summer. In its place...

Quote:
And don't get me started on cars as I already know that a couple of guys are going to be angry with me for leaving the BMW ranks today. Getting a new hooptie around lunch time.
I bought my first BMW. Not a DD... E46 330 ZHP vert for a fun weekend/nice weather car. What were you driving, and what are you switching to?

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post

I bought my first BMW. Not a DD... E46 330 ZHP vert for a fun weekend/nice weather car. What were you driving, and what are you switching to?

SC
I thought you were looking at X5s?

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #4563 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I switched from a sport bike to a Harley in my late-20's, then basically quit riding (for the most part) in my mid-30's when I had two kids. Besides the stakes going up and starting to feel some risk for the first time, it also came down whether I would ditch the family and spend my time on a solo activity. Finally sold my bike (to a friend) when we moved to Utah last summer. In its place...

SC
I am a Ducati/Adventure touring guy really. But my wife wants to start doing track days which means I get to dust off my old "Intermediate" classification and go join her. My last time on track was 2010 and I spent that time with NESBA mostly and got bumped to Advanced on my very last track weekend at an Intermediate Skills Enhancement event. But I will drop back down just because of my time away from the track. It's easier to be modest than it is to be in physical therapy! Hehe.
Fortunately, with bikes, my wife shares the love of motorcycles. My kids are almost all off on their own with my youngest graduating from HS in December and starting college that following semester. I have always commuted via bike more than used it as a hobby.

As for the car, it is a 2008 535xi (E60). Love the car but we are consolidating into a single 4 wheeled vehicle since my wife works from home and with the need to pick up an enclosed trailer for the track, it wouldn't conveniently pull one so we are moving on to a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with the 5.7L Hemi.
Once we get our house built in a couple of years, I will be looking for an E46 M3 or ZHP coupe for a toy. May even go so far as doing a turbo conversion on one or the other as I love me some forced induction! Hehe.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
post #4564 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Not sure about @ecrabb but we were. But an X5 35D or 50i in a later model year were prohibitively expensive. We were looking at nearly a $20k premium over the Jeep in comparison for similarly equipped vehicles.
As much as I wanted to stay BMW as well, I couldn't see myself pulling a 12ft enclosed trailer behind a pristine X5. Hehe.

post #4565 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure about @ecrabb but we were. But an X5 35D or 50i in a later model year were prohibitively expensive. We were looking at nearly a $20k premium over the Jeep in comparison for similarly equipped vehicles.
As much as I wanted to stay BMW as well, I couldn't see myself pulling a 12ft enclosed trailer behind a pristine X5. Hehe.
I bought my eD cabinets from @ecrabb last summer right before he moved. I had just bought my X5 4.8is about a week earlier and thought he mentioned he had been looking at them, wondering what I thought.

Anyway, my opinion is it's the most fun vehicle I've ever driven even though it's been a money pit.

post #4566 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Anyway, my opinion is it's the most fun vehicle I've ever driven even though it's been a money pit.
Feel the exact same way about my E60. Common issues be damned, that 3 liter twin turbo is a friggin' locomotive engine and the handling of a car that size was astounding even in stock form.

post #4567 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Feel the exact same way about my E60. Common issues be damned, that 3 liter twin turbo is a friggin' locomotive engine and the handling of a car that size was astounding even in stock form.
I've got most of the maintenance up to date, just need to refresh the rest of the suspension and it should be good to go for awhile again. Transmission & engine have been rock solid, it's been other shakes and shimmies and cooling and that...the amount of GO this thing has is astonishing for a 5000+ lb vehicle, and even with the suspension and axle issues I've dealt with it handles like a dream.
ZLTFUL likes this.

post #4568 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I didn't go the Harley route, but I had a beginner bike (Honda CX500) for 1 season and a Sport bike (VFR800) for 3. Then having the kids and seeing people I ride with get hurt/2 died made me reevaluate priorities. Such a sad thing not to ride anymore but I feel its the smart decision for my life.
post #4569 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dude, I've been all over the place. I probably was thinking about it at one time. I've had the BMW itch for years, but couldn't justify a non-practical car. Want a tow/off-road piece, so I couldn't replace my vehicle. Thought about replacing wife's car with an X3, but didn't want to spend the money, so I just kept putting it off. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd have like 10 different cars for different days and occasions. Alas, budget and garage space keep things sane.

Since we moved to Utah though, we were reevaluating priorities, looking at replacing my wife's DD, mine, etc. We decided to just hang on to the H3 for my DD because it's paid for, it's a short commute to work, and we want something for camping, light towing, and off-roading. We decided to keep my wife's Altima DD because it's paid for, cheap to operate, and it's fine for the time being. But, I have a 3-car garage now and we thought a convertible would be fun in sunny Utah. I've been dreaming of a ZHP for years, saving, paying bills, etc. so we just decided to make it happen. Found a very clean '04 ZHP vert with 41,000 miles on it in Louisiana and snagged it. I've only had it for a week, but so far, I *LOVE* it. Needs tires and wheel refurb and a few other miscellaneous items to bring it up to my standards, but it's a great car and a BLAST to drive.

Cheers,
SC
thrillcat likes this.

post #4570 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am a Ducati/Adventure touring guy really. But my wife wants to start doing track days which means I get to dust off my old "Intermediate" classification and go join her. My last time on track was 2010 and I spent that time with NESBA mostly and got bumped to Advanced on my very last track weekend at an Intermediate Skills Enhancement event. But I will drop back down just because of my time away from the track. It's easier to be modest than it is to be in physical therapy! Hehe.
Fortunately, with bikes, my wife shares the love of motorcycles. My kids are almost all off on their own with my youngest graduating from HS in December and starting college that following semester. I have always commuted via bike more than used it as a hobby.
Never could get interested in racing bikes. Fear factor and too expensive when you make mistakes. Just never appealed to me. Now, auto-cross and tracking a car...

Quote:
As for the car, it is a 2008 535xi (E60). Love the car but we are consolidating into a single 4 wheeled vehicle since my wife works from home and with the need to pick up an enclosed trailer for the track, it wouldn't conveniently pull one so we are moving on to a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with the 5.7L Hemi.
Once we get our house built in a couple of years, I will be looking for an E46 M3 or ZHP coupe for a toy. May even go so far as doing a turbo conversion on one or the other as I love me some forced induction! Hehe.
Cool. Nice car. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Jeep, too. Those things are so nice now. Comfortable, lots of power, still handle great, and get decent fuel economy to boot.

Turbocharge an M3? Blasphemer! What, 333HP isn't enough for you? Kidding. Ever since the old man got a Grand National in 1987, I've been a fan of forced induction, too. If I decide to keep this ZHP long-term, that's definitely in the cards.

Cheers,
SC
ZLTFUL likes this.

post #4571 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, hey... Guys! I think I've totally neglected to mention this here... But, this spring when I was between jobs, I purchased the business Warren P started some years ago, thehometheaterbook.com. That business also came with a Facebook group Warren started, and it's actually pretty cool. There's a few noobs, but plenty of hard-core enthusiasts like us building rooms from scratch, building subs, speakers, etc. It's quite active and sort of has the "sharing" feel AVS had, back when I first started thinking about building a dedicated HT, before it got big and corporate. It sort of has a small-group camaraderie - kind of like the Iowa meet thread.

Anyway, if you're on Facebook, I'd love it if a few of my old Iowa home theater pals joined up.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hometheaterenthusiasts/

Cheers,
SC

post #4572 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post
I didn't go the Harley route, but I had a beginner bike (Honda CX500) for 1 season and a Sport bike (VFR800) for 3. Then having the kids and seeing people I ride with get hurt/2 died made me reevaluate priorities. Such a sad thing not to ride anymore but I feel its the smart decision for my life.
Get a decent performance convertible. It will get you 90% there. I lost any interest in bikes for the same reason (well except the kids). Even though it was almost never my friends that rode fault, it doesn't make the injuries go away. Not bagging on the guys that love bikes, they're awesome toys. I just don't choose to take the risk.

I've had the pleasure of driving a late '90's 5 series sport BMW and a mid '90s M3. Both were fantastic cars. The 5 series sport was particularly impressive because of how well it handled for its size. The maintenance is the only thing that kept me from seriously considering one. Filet mignon tastes. McD's value meal budget strikes again.

post #4573 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Never could get interested in racing bikes. Fear factor and too expensive when you make mistakes. Just never appealed to me. Now, auto-cross and tracking a car...

Cool. Nice car. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Jeep, too. Those things are so nice now. Comfortable, lots of power, still handle great, and get decent fuel economy to boot.

Turbocharge an M3? Blasphemer! What, 333HP isn't enough for you? Kidding. Ever since the old man got a Grand National in 1987, I've been a fan of forced induction, too. If I decide to keep this ZHP long-term, that's definitely in the cards.

Cheers,
SC
Sounds like a beautiful ride. Forced induction is the way to go. I went the high hp naturally aspirated route and wish I had went the other way.

post #4574 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Oh, hey... Guys! I think I've totally neglected to mention this here... But, this spring when I was between jobs, I purchased the business Warren P started some years ago, thehometheaterbook.com. That business also came with a Facebook group Warren started, and it's actually pretty cool. There's a few noobs, but plenty of hard-core enthusiasts like us building rooms from scratch, building subs, speakers, etc. It's quite active and sort of has the "sharing" feel AVS had, back when I first started thinking about building a dedicated HT, before it got big and corporate. It sort of has a small-group camaraderie - kind of like the Iowa meet thread.

Anyway, if you're on Facebook, I'd love it if a few of my old Iowa home theater pals joined up.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hometheaterenthusiasts/

Cheers,
SC
Ya I thought it was pretty funny seeing you take over on that FB group. I've been a member for what like 6-8mo now probably. It's more active than this thread.
post #4575 of 4584 Unread 06-25-2015, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I am torn right now. I get a new bike next spring (my wife and I alternate each year). I *love* the 1299S but for slightly less money I can have the YZF-R1M. And then that vile temptress RC8R sitting out at Hicklin keeps calling my name so I hope they sell it between now and then.

And don't get me started on cars as I already know that a couple of guys are going to be angry with me for leaving the BMW ranks today. Getting a new hooptie around lunch time.
I haven't seen the M in person but I have seen the standard 2015 R1 and I have to say I'm not a fan of the styling. I love my 2012 50th anniversary edition! Here's a better pic next to my newest toy...

Last edited by joshp14; 06-25-2015 at 09:38 PM.
post #4576 of 4584 Unread 06-26-2015, 06:40 AM

Oh the new R1M ain't pretty...but it sure is functional. Hehe. I am looking for a purely track toy but long term. The wife is converting her Ninja 300 to track use only over the winter and possibly picking up a used GSXR-600 for street use but we will have to see. Next spring will be expensive if all of the plans fall into place with a track bike, trailer and a possible street bike. But she pulls cash out of places I don't even know exist sometimes. Hehe.

Funny side effect of getting rid of the 2 cars and moving to one...insurance went from $122/month on cars to $47/month and the car payment was cut in half (her car was paid for and sold outright).

Of course, if I keep letting her talk me into saving money, I will never get my house (read: theater) built!

post #4577 of 4584 Unread 06-26-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshp14 View Post
I haven't seen the M in person but I have seen the standard 2015 R1 and I have to say I'm not a fan of the styling. I love my 2012 50th anniversary edition! Here's a better pic next to my newest toy...

Love the sled!!!
post #4578 of 4584 Unread 06-26-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 121
All this talk about bikes makes me miss mine. But like others have stated, riding was a solo activity and the wife (girlfriend when I sold it) didn't like the fact I spent so many hours each night riding and away from her. I don't think my bike had as much power as any of yours, but I loved it and it was plenty fast for my races!

post #4579 of 4584 Unread 06-28-2015, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Love the sled!!!

Thanks sir. You have one?

And thanks for the demo today at The Savoy!
post #4580 of 4584 Unread 06-29-2015, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

SC
Nice on the ZHP. You should come to the track with the BMW club. Just got done with a weekend at RPM, great fun.
There were 4 other ZHP's there.

Cheers!
ZLTFUL likes this.
post #4581 of 4584 Unread 06-29-2015, 07:11 PM

Besides...if I need my Bimmer fix, I will just wait until a certain member shows up to visit his parents and make inappropriate touches on his...

post #4582 of 4584 Unread 06-30-2015, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Besides...if I need my Bimmer fix, I will just wait until a certain member shows up to visit his parents and make inappropriate touches on his...
I still owe you a drive too.

Actually you should stop by my place and hear the new setup once I have it dialed in a bit better, and buy some amps.
Just got the umik today and will start some rewing later this week to get my skills up.
post #4583 of 4584 Unread 07-02-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Had a nice meet up with Slarity and his friend Bryce last night. Got to hear those Andrew Jones Pioneers in a 7.1 setup at Bryce's house. I have to say those speakers are truly a price/performance giant. They've done a whole lot at very little cost. Oh and the subs you guys are building out of those 12's I donated are outstanding. Shows what the right box and amplification do.

I did have to go home and listen to the Dancing Nancies track from the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Blu Ray again. I tend to forget just how well mastered that disc is. Glad you guys enjoyed it.

Last edited by jeahrens; 07-02-2015 at 08:15 AM.
post #4584 of 4584 Unread Today, 06:45 AM

Thanks Joel, had a lot of fun as always. I really appreciate your opinion and critical listening ears. You hear and understand things that I have never paid attention to and I am trying to appreciate. I haven't found the Dave Matthews BD here in town, think I'll have to order it.

Been watching sense 8 before bed recently. Couldn't hear the dialog with my TV speakers, and turning the volume up just distorted the sound really bad. So I went ahead and picked up a Vizio 29" 2.0 soundbar this weekend and installed it. I can't believe how well it works, exactly what I wanted. I bought some metal straps from home depot and mounted the soundbar right under my TV from the TV mount. I use a Sony BD player for all my content (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime), and I use the Sony remote to control the TV and BD player. After hooking up the soundbar the remote still works with everything perfectly. The power button turns the soundbar on and off, and the volume controls the soundbar volume (I turned the TV speakers off).

Last edited by slarity; Today at 06:48 AM. Reason: Change picture sizes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets