Forum Jump: 
 726Likes

post #31 of 6557 Old 11-06-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am sure I can make it up with a meet of my own, once the theater gets trimmed out.

I can take pictures of the gas meter if you don't believe me!

I need to make it out to the chicago area meets too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 6557 Old 11-06-2007, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Definitely still on & looking forward to it! Greg let me know if anything changes to allow you to join us. Even if not, be sure to send me an invite when your project is done & you are ready to host a get together.
post #33 of 6557 Old 11-10-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Jeff/Juli -

Thanks for a fun afternoon! Your home and room are beautiful and your system is incredible. Your attention to detail was really impressive. The Klipschorns and Crown amps really rocked, too. It was the first time I'd been in an HT that was actually capable of pain-inducing SPL - literally. The scene in Incredibles where the "shuttle" flew onto the tracks sounded like a gunshot - only louder. Thanks for your hospitality and I look forward to getting together again soon!

SC

PS - Were your Crowns 202s or 402s? I'm shopping...

I'm a Home Theater Enthusiast with GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.

post #34 of 6557 Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Jeff, a big thanks to you and Juli for hosting yesterday at the meet. We had a great time. You did a fantastic job on your theater, you have a lot to be proud about. The sound was amazing, those Klipschorns give a pleasantly crisp sound... can't wait to hear it with more LFE!.

It was fun meeting everyone.... hey, we forgot to take photos!

Thanks for the hospitality!! Until next time....

Chad & Michelle
post #35 of 6557 Old 11-12-2007, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Jeff/Juli

Thank you for welcoming us into your home. It was great to see another theater with such attention to detail and as ecrabb said a mind blowing, ear ringing listening experience. We are looking forward to the next one!

Understanding the unexplainable"
post #36 of 6557 Old 11-12-2007, 05:30 PM

Thanks for coming over, we had a great time meeting everyone! Its amazing how fast the time went. By next time I should have the LFE better balanced in (on my to-do list), and I promise...moderate SPL! We don't actually watch whole movies at that level, I got a little carried away in "demo mode".

The Crowns are XLS402's, btw. If you go that route and want to switch the fans let me know. Its a cheap & easy mod.
post #37 of 6557 Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 PM

Hello all, I just saw the posts for a meet up in Ankeny. If there is another sometime I'd be up for it too. I plan on building one in my basement in Ankeny and always looking for ideas and tips, etc.
post #38 of 6557 Old 12-14-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Hey all. Whiskey alpha introduced me to this IA meet thread. I'd love to join in on the next meet. I have a moderate theater here in Cedar Rapids and have a few friends who just finished a room or are starting construction of a room. Not to mention I am in the market for a new home and wanting to start another build there.

Anyone have pictures of there theater online? I have a few on a low-budget website (found in my signature). I'd love to see other Iowa theaters.
post #39 of 6557 Old 12-15-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

Hey all. Whiskey alpha introduced me to this IA meet thread. I'd love to join in on the next meet. I have a moderate theater here in Cedar Rapids and have a few friends who just finished a room or are starting construction of a room. Not to mention I am in the market for a new home and wanting to start another build there.

Anyone have pictures of there theater online? I have a few on a low-budget website (found in my signature). I'd love to see other Iowa theaters.

Darren,

Welcome to the thread, glad you found it. I checked out your page... nice work! Looks like you did most of it yourself, fellow DIYer I see. I'd also love to hear those Paradigms!

I am currently remodeling a basement that contains my multi-purpose room "theater" (I have to use that term loosely after some of the ones I've seen this year), so I won't have photos for some time and my previous theater was definitely not photo worthly... functional, not pretty. Although, ecrabb is getting pretty close to having the details done on his new theater, so maybe I can bug him (or help him) get those details done and capture some awesome photos.

Chad
post #40 of 6557 Old 12-15-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the kind remarks about my build. I did all the work myself. Having one theater construction under my belt, I'm excited about the next and already have a long list of additional things I want to add or attempt.

If you are ever in the area and want to hear the Paradigms, just let me know. I have been a long time Paradigm supporter since I bought my first pair of Atoms over 10 years ago. The current setup I have sounds amazing in my opinion. But we all know sound is subjective.
post #41 of 6557 Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 AM

Liked: 11
Hey... Nice to stumble across an Iowa group... I'm also in Cedar Rapids and have been slowly putting together my theater room in my basement. Doing everything myself, so had to get the CR certification for wiring which took some time, but now its moving right along...

I've gotten it to a 'usable' room for a New Year's eve gathering I'm having, but then I have to tear it all back out to continue finishing it the right way... We don't even have the ceiling up yet or all the mudding done on the walls...

Here's a link to pictures I've been posting for my friends and family to see, but I don't have an actual build thread in the forums..

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eater%20Build/

--Todd
post #42 of 6557 Old 12-19-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Twashade, looks like you are coming along quite nicely. What are your room dimensions, future plans, equipment and upgrades?

post #43 of 6557 Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I needed to get some pics up myself. I'm still working on mine. I have some columns I need to build but need to replace my router first.

post #44 of 6557 Old 12-19-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Man those pics kind of suck. I'm going home to take some more.

post #45 of 6557 Old 12-19-2007, 11:12 AM

My room was limited by the fact that my stairway came down the middle of my basement and so its max width could only be 11'. So, its ending up being roughly an 11' x 19' room with a 103" diagonal 16:9 ratio screen. My wife describes it as "cozy" and should be a decent enough room for 6-7 comfortably.

I have a Mitsubushi HC-3000U Projector, a Harmon Kardon 247 and am using B&W speakers for all channels, the rear & eventually the rear effects being in-wall to save some space. I bought a Grafik Eye to control the lighting which I just got installed this week and absolutely love! One of the best toys for the room effect yet!

Future upgrades are easy... Once I can afford a perforated screen and an anamorphic lens, I'll be going CIH and hiding all the front speakers behind a larger screen. Eventually an HD DVD or Blu-ray player and a 1080p projector, but gonna wait and see who wins before putting much money into that area. I also have a Lifetime TivoHD box down there so that I can downloan Unbox movies...

--Todd
post #46 of 6557 Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice looking theater whiskey. What size is your room?

I have several pictures on my web site, but none are really up to date so I thought I'd post some here. My room is 13 by 19.

Looking from the bottom of the stairs towards the theater room.

Looking towards the wet bar area.

My candy stand and movie memorabilia area.

Looking towards the equipment stack as you enter the room.

post #47 of 6557 Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The room ended up being 14x24 once I cut a bit of the length. The eq closet sits on the other side of the screen wall. I wanted it out of sight and in a separate locked room. I am going your route and plan on putting some velvet curtains on either side of the screen wall. I have the fram built to go under the screen just need to wrap it.

BTW-Like the sig line. Groundhog Day is a funny a$$ movie.

I did take some more and updated pics last night-I'll tryo to ge them up today.

post #48 of 6557 Old 12-20-2007, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally a chance to get some new pics up. I finally had a chance to put up my theater sign. Also built a couple of more panels for the back of the room

post #49 of 6557 Old 12-20-2007, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

And Merry Christmas to All!!

It's 13ft

post #50 of 6557 Old 12-22-2007, 05:46 AM

Nice pics Darren & Justin.

Todd... looks good in the early stages... I really like the overall layout and location of things. Look forward to pics as the project moves forward.

Merry Christmas everyone!
post #51 of 6557 Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

welcome,
It looks like to have an almost square room there at 16x18. You might want to contact bpape when you get time about some acoustical treatments. Is the wall behine the last row chairs load bearing? If not, I would lose it very quickly.

What sort of time line and gear are you looking at?

post #52 of 6557 Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

yep it is and the furnace and dual water heaters and softner are there as well. Yep thought of getting him involved. Should have done my homework cause I could have easily made it longer, storage room is huge

I have right now B&W 9NTs and Center and SVS 2039plus sub. Denon and Rotel for pre and power.

The only thing I have really decided on is the SMX AT screen (120") the rest is a crap shoot at this point

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #53 of 6557 Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Not to squash the plan, but at 120" you are probably going to need about 12-13' for the front row. 1.3 time the screen diagonal. If you use an AT screen I would plan on losing about 2' for the channels behind it. Are you planning on recliners? Riser for the back row?

For reference I'm using a 114' Carada and have 13' to my front row. My riser is approximately 8' long for the second row. The last row of chair sit about 12 inches from the back wall. When reclined, and the front row reclined, i have about 12" or so from the feet of someone sitting behind me to my head.
One option you might consider would be to rotate the floor plan. Make the equipment closet your front wall. Leave the entrance where it is at but put in a set of double doors that swing into the family room instead of into the theater. You would probably have to move the eq closet door to the corner. It might give me a couple of more feet. I'm guessing that's the longest part of the room.

post #54 of 6557 Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I like AT screens. I could not fit one in my theater as I wanted all the channels behind it, not just the center. But space is space. Do you want to give up the space for the screen is the question that only you can answer grasshopper.

post #55 of 6557 Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW the family room looks like a good size for a theater. Put the pool table in your current theater room and take over the family room!

post #56 of 6557 Old 01-04-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jeff C, where abouts in Marion to you live? I live in the Bowman Woods Area of Cedar Rapids and we are looking to build or buy a new house this summer and have considered Marion and Robins so far. If you need any help with the theater, I'm only a short drive away.
post #57 of 6557 Old 01-04-2008, 11:49 AM

Hi Jeff,

Glad to hear about another CR/Marion theater guy... My room is 11' wide by 19' long and my front row is at 11' (roughly 8' deep riser for second row) and the 103" screen I have is pretty good sized... Just over my new Year's gathering with a temporary screen up, many of my guests found they liked sitting in the back row a bit more than the front for viewing the screen... Only thing you can really do is mask it up and see what it would feel like sitting at 11' looking back and forth at the screen.

Someday, I do hope to make it a bit wider and switch to a 2.35:1 ratio screen, but that's a long way down the road since I will need an AT screen to make mine any larger with only 11'. Would've loved to have a wider room, but its just what fit into the space I had and it should be comfortable enough.

--Todd
post #58 of 6557 Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Wow got my quote for the SMX AT screen.......still in shock! With that said I think the Carada will most likely be the ticket! Placed close to the front wall and speakers on the side. probably the best bet. the next house the space will be right!

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #59 of 6557 Old 01-04-2008, 09:00 PM

If your not going AT, there are a lot of options out there to look at. I've been doing a ton of reading on the DIY forum and am probably going with a Wilsonart Designer White laminate screen. Should be able to build it for about $100, rather than the $900 VuTec screen that was recommended by the Audio Room. Since I'm using just a white sheet right now and have been pretty happy with what I see, I'm figuring that a DIY solution that is so highly recommended in the Screen section of this forum will be a big improvement.
post #60 of 6557 Old 01-05-2008, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post

Nice! won't fly as you know

Actually I am thinking that a 2nd row of traditional theater seating might be the answer. I would gain some space and maybe save a buck?

I don't know if they will be selling anything or not, but I heard the IMAX theater here in Cedar Rapids is closing this month. I've thought about calling down there to see if they will be having a "garage sale" for fixtures, seating, posters... etc. Perhaps you could get some seating from that theater for your second row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page