Forum Jump: 
 529Likes
post #6091 of 6093 Unread Yesterday, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Someone sent me a PM asking about the seeting distance vs screen size calculator that I found on Screen Innovations site. Here is the link:
http://www.screeninnovations.com/too...ting-distance/

It shows that at 13' from a 16:9 screen I should have a 141" screen which is close to what I like being at 12', so I bumped my seating distance to 10 feet (in their calculator) to simulate moving what I like for size forward by 3 feet, and it gave a 139" 2.40:1 screen. I wonder how that works out in real life.

Then there is the other part of this that I am not thinking about... Room modes. I certainly don't want to be in the middle of my room for sound , and at 9 feet from the screen it ends up being almost exactly the middle of the room (room is about 24' long and the false wall has about 3 feet behind it). Eek. One "solution" ends up possibly creating another problem. We haven't even talked about having to move speakers around.

Might be time to look at leaving everything where it is from a seat/projector/speaker perspective and toy with moving the false wall 3 more feet into the room. LOL. Seems silly to have 6 feet behind the false wall though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 6093 Unread Yesterday, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Send a message via AIM to Ladeback Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Someone sent me a PM asking about the seeting distance vs screen size calculator that I found on Screen Innovations site. Here is the link:
http://www.screeninnovations.com/too...ting-distance/

It shows that at 13' from a 16:9 screen I should have a 141" screen which is close to what I like being at 12', so I bumped my seating distance to 10 feet (in their calculator) to simulate moving what I like for size forward by 3 feet, and it gave a 139" 2.40:1 screen. I wonder how that works out in real life.

Then there is the other part of this that I am not thinking about... Room modes. I certainly don't want to be in the middle of my room for sound , and at 9 feet from the screen it ends up being almost exactly the middle of the room (room is about 24' long and the false wall has about 3 feet behind it). Eek. One "solution" ends up possibly creating another problem. We haven't even talked about having to move speakers around.

Might be time to look at leaving everything where it is from a seat/projector/speaker perspective and toy with moving the false wall 3 more feet into the room. LOL. Seems silly to have 6 feet behind the false wall though.

I am not seeing how at 9' you at the middle of the room? You are 3' away. How many rows are you wanting and which one do want be the sweet spot. I am shooting for 3 rows and the middle to to be the best row and the middle of that row the sweet spot. It would help if you drew it out. I am looking looking to going with a room 16.6'x24' and the false wall back 3'-4'. Currently have a room 14x26 and 120" 16:9 screen and sit about 11'-12' back now which works for me. I am thinking of redoing it, but mine are basically just stuff walls so not as bad as having to tear dry wall down. Thanks for the calculator, that helps.
post #6093 of 6093 Unread Today, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I am not seeing how at 9' you at the middle of the room? You are 3' away. How many rows are you wanting and which one do want be the sweet spot. I am shooting for 3 rows and the middle to to be the best row and the middle of that row the sweet spot. It would help if you drew it out. I am looking looking to going with a room 16.6'x24' and the false wall back 3'-4'. Currently have a room 14x26 and 120" 16:9 screen and sit about 11'-12' back now which works for me. I am thinking of redoing it, but mine are basically just stuff walls so not as bad as having to tear dry wall down. Thanks for the calculator, that helps.
My room is 24 feet deep.
Front row "heads" are currently 16 feet from from the front wall (can't count the screen wall as it does nothing sonically). Moving forward 3 feet would put me at 13 feet, almost smack dab in the middle of a 24 foot deep room where 1st and 3rd order room modes are about as low as they can go into a null. As it is, I am almost at a 1st order null for width, but not quite. I wouldn't want to accent that with more positions approaching more nulls. I am just relying on room treatments and Anthem Room Correction to fix what it can, which is working out very nicely, but putting myself right into some nulls would make it more difficult. Below is a mode graph of my room. I marked with purple (fuchsia) where I sit in the room in the front row. I can't control the height (which actually isn't bad), and with two rows of 4 seats, I could sit in one of the extreme left or right seats, but then I am not visually close to the middle, so there are already compromises.

Then again, maybe I am calculating this all wrong and can't read the graphs below. (Seriously, I will admit that I could be wrong on this.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets