post #6511 of 6520 Old 09-13-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
Lol. Well, I am also willing to help. Offer stands Ryan!

Also, would really like to see The Savoy!!

Typed on a tiny keyboard, excuse any typos
Are you making it over for Empire Strikes Back in October?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6512 of 6520 Old 09-13-2017, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
I always feel guilty asking my neighbors...then they won't invite me over to their theaters...
Save
You should come over and watch Wonder Woman...reviews on the audio track have been very positive!
ZLTFUL likes this.
post #6513 of 6520 Old 09-13-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Are you making it over for Empire Strikes Back in October?
Must have missed this. Sure!! Date and time?

HT: Marantz 7702mkII | Crown Amps | 1299 L/C/R | Volt 8s | THTs | 1200Ds | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P | Oppo UHD-203 | PS4 |
Family: Pioneer SP-SB23W | Pioneer Kuro Elite 111 | X1

post #6514 of 6520 Old 09-13-2017, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #6515 of 6520 Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Done! Thanks.

ZLTFUL likes this.

HT: Marantz 7702mkII | Crown Amps | 1299 L/C/R | Volt 8s | THTs | 1200Ds | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P | Oppo UHD-203 | PS4 |
Family: Pioneer SP-SB23W | Pioneer Kuro Elite 111 | X1
post #6516 of 6520 Old 09-16-2017, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Ok I don't expect this post to make any sense. I've done some drinking tonight... anyways I bought a TCL 55" S405 I believe is the model number. It's a 55" 4k tv for $399. I bought it to replace my kids 32"" vizio that literally has mold developing inside it (from old house that didnt have insulated walls).

I decided to compare this TCL tv to my 55" 4k Vizio M Series in my family room, and my 46" Sony X700 something or other TV in my bedroom.

These pictures will not explain the story I'm sure, they are just for eye candy or whatever...

This is comparing the TCL (bottom) to the Vizio M series (2016, top). IMO the Vizio beat the TCL in almost every category. The TCL did have faster smart TV features thanks to its built in Roku support. Other than that, the Vizio M series was far superior in picture quality. Being just a casual living room TV, in most brighter scenes I would say the TCL was very poppy and looked good. When a dark scene came on, it was disappointing, until I remembered how much it cost.

So no surprise an M series Vizio is superior to the TCL, but what about an older Sony (I honestly cant remember the model number, if you really care ask and I can find the answer obviously).

IMO the Sony still looks better than the TCL, specifically in dark scenes. The Sony looked so good it actually has me wanting to compare it to my Vizio M series to see the difference. However, I have an Xbox One S hooked up to the Vizio for 4k content and its 11" bigger so I don't know if I'll ever compare the two. Pictures below show the TCL (below) vs the Sony.

In the end. The TCL is taking the place of the Sony in my bedroom. Strictly because of the size (55" vs 46") and the Roku really does run the smart tv features very quickly and the sony being so old has an archaic system that is terrible by todays standards. Plus the TV I didn't pick for my bedroom replaced a 32" vizio TV in my kids bonus room (play room type thing). The 32" was fine in that room, but honestly pretty poor PQ and AQ, I'm actually getting rid of it because mold keeps growing on it despite the fact I keep cleaning it. So I think it's inside the TV. I absolutely don't want mold and breathing issues in my new house, so the TV has got to go. The bonus room is quite a bit smaller than my bedroom, so the smaller TV makes more sense there as well.
Draden1 likes this.
post #6517 of 6520 Old 09-16-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Are any of the displays calibrated? Or are these out of the box settings? You could put about any different brand TV next to another one and give widely different image results. Some blow out the color or brightness, others don't.

You would always want to adjust at least the basics anyway if you don't do a calibration.

Anyway, nice move up on to the 55". We have a 32" in our bedroom, but honestly, my wife is the one that watches TV at night. Not so much for me.
post #6518 of 6520 Old 09-18-2017, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Are any of the displays calibrated? Or are these out of the box settings? You could put about any different brand TV next to another one and give widely different image results. Some blow out the color or brightness, others don't.

You would always want to adjust at least the basics anyway if you don't do a calibration.

Anyway, nice move up on to the 55". We have a 32" in our bedroom, but honestly, my wife is the one that watches TV at night. Not so much for me.
There are almost no calibration settings on the TCL. Just brightness in the form of Brightest, Brighter, Normal, etc. I moved it to normal.

I got the TCL hung in my bedroom tonight and was watching American Vandal on it. It looked good and I appreciated the extra size. So far I'm pleased for such a cheap TV.
post #6519 of 6520 Old 09-18-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post
There are almost no calibration settings on the TCL. Just brightness in the form of Brightest, Brighter, Normal, etc. I moved it to normal.

I got the TCL hung in my bedroom tonight and was watching American Vandal on it. It looked good and I appreciated the extra size. So far I'm pleased for such a cheap TV.
Good to know that despite basic picture controls that it still works for what you need.
post #6520 of 6520 Old 09-18-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Just a couple updates. The old projector found a new home Saturday with a gentleman from CR. We also had an impromptu demo of the 2 ch Atmos before heading up to the Thrillcat's Saturday. I'm pretty happy with it and the attendees (ZLTFUL, Draden1, Edge9528) seemed to enjoy it. It's not the most impressive Atmos setup I've heard, but given the limitations of the room and the modest investment (the Elac B5's were floor models from AVL) I think it does alright.
Draden1, thrillcat, ZLTFUL and 1 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page