Any Jacksonville Florida HT people? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 374Likes

post #31 of 978 Old 10-21-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I'll just copy and paste what I sent @chadsmith013 since it's easier than trying to type it all out.
My “Theater” is in my living room which is quite large, about 18’Wx30’Dx10.5’H. But only about 15’x15’ is used for it. It’s also has large openings to the rest of the house like the kitchen and hallways and entryway. So it’s a lot of space to fill especially for the subs. Also gets a lot of light in there but I can work on that a little more.

I'm in the process of upgrading a lot of my stuff. Some is still undecided. Here's a list of what gear I have now (though not all of it is connected or used at the same time).

Current:
Screen: ~150" 16:9 (projecting onto a beige wall which looks surprisingly good). Also a 116”W 2.35”1 Da-Lite High Power High Contrast screen boxed up in the garage.
Projectors: JVC RS500, JVC RS6710 (boxed up) and Sharp XV-Z30000 (connected but not really used)

Anamorphic Lens: Panamorph UH480 (boxed up)
Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802a
Receiver: Yamaha A2000 (not in use)
Amps: 6x Crown XLS1500's
Sub Amps: Currently using 2 of the 1500's in bridged mode until I get ATMOS Speakers
Bluray player: Oppo BD103
HD DVD Player: Toshiba HD-XA2
Cable TV: Brighthouse Voyager HD Box
Media Player: Roku 3
Games: PS3 and XBox360
Subs: 2x DIY 18" Stereo Integrity HST18MKII (sealed in a 4 cu ft box) and a Klipsch RW-12d (not in use)

Speakers: Yamaha NS-777 Towers for L/R, NS-444 Center and 4x NS-333 for surrounds

Future equipment:
Screen: 135" 16:9 (aprox 66"Hx118"W) Material is undecided but likely some form of ALR. Maybe the Elite Cinegrey 3D or 5D DIY material. It’s real cheap and while I’m not a huge DIY guy, it’s not too hard to build a screen. I really want to go larger (like 150”) but am worried about brightness as you know, it’s sunny here in FL and I get a lot of light in my room. I do need to treat it some more. Also, I’m likely moving in a year and a half or so and am worried about getting something that won’t fit both the screen and speakers on the same wall.
Pre/Pro: I'm considering going to the Marantz 7703 ( or downgrading to the 7002mkii) as I'm not sure I'm fully utilizing all the 8802a's capabilities since it isn't used much for music and mainly just HT. Some occasional parties but no critical listening. I think the 7703 is supposed to have more Audyssey control and might save me some money from having to buy a MiniDSP or Dirac.
Sub Amps: Probably a Behringer iNuke 6000 with DSP. If their fans turn out to be too loud and I can hear it from the main listening position, I’ll return it and look for some more Crown’s as they’re super quiet.
(Edit: just got it in today and will be testing it out this weekend)
UHD player: Likely the new Oppo 203 but may pick up the Samsung K8500 until it comes out to play around with as they’re real cheap and won’t lose much money.
Media Player: Roku Ultra. Though it may not be necessary to buy it if Oppo or the Samsung will have all the same app support by then.
Subs: 2x more placed behind the MLP Sofa. Kinda want to chase the single digits Hz. Lol But it will also help with nearfield response. Might have to look into transducers.

Speakers: Really undecided. I know I just want speakers that have big dynamics and can play it cleanly. For that reason, I’ve been looking at a lot of Pro stuff like JBL or QSC or Tannoy. I actually have John Schuermann from AVS in contact with JBL to help with design something and get me some more choices. I’ve read a lot about the DIY Sound Group speakers people build but I don’t have the time or experience/tools to do that. Also considering the PA speakers that have got really good reviews like the Monoprice/Behringer B215XL’s/Mackie C200/300’s.
Power Conditioners: Possibly a couple Furman Elite-15 Pf i's and maybe an UPS for the projector.

I’ve been slowly piece mealing it. I try to find used if I can as long as it’s in good condition and/or still has a warranty. Try and save money where I can. I need to sell some of those projectors (The Sharp Z30k and JVC RS6710), just been too busy/lazy to post an ad on here or ebay. And will end up selling a lot of the other gear like the Da-Lite HP screen, Yamaha receiver and speakers, Oppo bluray player and Roku 3, etc. Should have a lot of it done by the end of this year.

I'd be willing to host a GTG at my place but here's the pros and cons.

Pros:
1. Lots of gear to test/experience (for now until it's sold)
2. Lots of space in a large room/house (have comfy seats for 6 but have more chairs for others)

3. Able to see what a system can do with Audyssey MulitEQ XT32 and the right projector/screen in a un-optimized sunny florida living room with no treatments

Cons:
1. It's a far drive for most at about 1.5 hours from Jacksonville
2. Like some of your places, it's probably an acoustical nightmare though my speakers are actually pretty good to about 10-15db below reference once calibrated (though probably a lot of others are too at that lower volume)

* I like to look at pros 2 and 3 as a positive because it can give one an idea of the extreme end of a system in a large room. A worst case scenario... sort of.

I'd also be fine with coming up there, but I would be limited on what I can bring. I have a mid-size sedan so my subs are probably out of the question. So would my projector screens. Unless someone had a truck in my area and was driving up too.

chadsmith013 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 978 Old 10-21-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
awesome and thanks for the info Biliam..having options are always good...it would be really cool if we all could put something together..
post #33 of 978 Old 10-21-2016, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 120
biliam1982, looks like you have some nice gear piling up! Have you used the JVC RS6710 yet or has the box not even been opened? Was the Da-Lite High Power High Contrast screen much better than white in your bright room? I have been thinking about going to a ALR screen eventually, so would love to see the 5D material or whatever you end up with.

I don't think you are going to like the noise on the Behringer amp unfortunately. I did the fan swap and stick on heat sinks on mine and it is still annoyingly audible. I might switch back to my EP4000 and MiniDSP or else just run the behringer with the lid off which helps with the noise too.

Definitely looks like the weak link in your system is the speakers. As far as the DIY Sound Group speakers go, if you don't mind the look of Duratex painted speakers, there really aren't a whole lot of tools needed to put them together. At least for the ones with flatpacks available. You don't even absolutely need clamps. Some wood glue, sand paper, and duratex/roller are just about all you need. Like you know MTG90 can build the crossovers for you or I don't mind helping out either. A lot of the JBL pro stuff is nice too. Let us know what you end up with!

post #34 of 978 Old 10-21-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattcc22 View Post
biliam1982, looks like you have some nice gear piling up! Have you used the JVC RS6710 yet or has the box not even been opened? Was the Da-Lite High Power High Contrast screen much better than white in your bright room? I have been thinking about going to a ALR screen eventually, so would love to see the 5D material or whatever you end up with.

I don't think you are going to like the noise on the Behringer amp unfortunately. I did the fan swap and stick on heat sinks on mine and it is still annoyingly audible. I might switch back to my EP4000 and MiniDSP or else just run the behringer with the lid off which helps with the noise too.

Definitely looks like the weak link in your system is the speakers. As far as the DIY Sound Group speakers go, if you don't mind the look of Duratex painted speakers, there really aren't a whole lot of tools needed to put them together. At least for the ones with flatpacks available. You don't even absolutely need clamps. Some wood glue, sand paper, and duratex/roller are just about all you need. Like you know MTG90 can build the crossovers for you or I don't mind helping out either. A lot of the JBL pro stuff is nice too. Let us know what you end up with!
Matt the nice guy always willing to help...

Biliam..he did a wonderful job in helping me..the guy has some major wood working skills..

Matt..i thought once you did the fan swap, the sound from the AMP was better? I haven't did the fan swap yet, it can get a lilttle loud, but as soon as the volume is turned up, i dont really notice it too much...I know i still need to do it though.
post #35 of 978 Old 10-21-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post

Biliam..he did a wonderful job in helping me..the guy has some major wood working skills..

Matt..i thought once you did the fan swap, the sound from the AMP was better? I haven't did the fan swap yet, it can get a lilttle loud, but as soon as the volume is turned up, i dont really notice it too much...I know i still need to do it though.
It is definitely way more quit with the fan swap, but still too audible during quiet scenes or just watching stuff that isn't loud. It annoys me enough that I turn the amp off while the kids are watching TV.
post #36 of 978 Old 10-22-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
awesome and thanks for the info Biliam..having options are always good...it would be really cool if we all could put something together..
Np! How we can get something going and soon! I have a pretty busy schedule but can usually move things around if I have some notice. Especially on the weekends.

Quote:

I used the 6710 for a few months then got the RS500 in. It only has something like 300 hours on it. I'm not an expert with this stuff, but with my time A/B'ing them, I feel that except for sheer brightness and UHD compatibility, the 6710 trumped the 500. Brightness matching them as best I could, the image seemed better to me on the 6710. Especially in the low APL scenes and black field uniformity. But I really needed the extra lumens on the 500 in a sunny Florida living room to light up ~150" 16:9!

I used the Da-Lite HCHP cinemascope screen in my last place with the Sharp Z30k. Talk about a plasma look! Never used it here. My roommates don't like/know how to use it with the anamorphic lens.

Hooked up the iNuke last night. Definitely is a noisy little bugger. Surprised me that it runs all the time unlike my Crown's which only turn on when it gets really hot from running near reference. Even then they can't be heard at the MLP. But I'm going to be moving it further away so I'll see if I can live with it then.

The speakers really aren't that bad. Pretty good actually until ~10-15db below ref on the MV. But I think Audyssey helped a lot there. I haven't measured them on my UMIK yet. But I did measure on the cheap little handheld meter I got off big river so those estimates on where below ref they sound good could be off some.

I don't mind Duratex at all. I think if done decently, they look great. The SI HST18 DIY subs I got from another forum member are done in Duratex are its a nice finish.

Quote:

I might have to take him up on the offer! We'll see what JBL comes back with...

Quote:
It is definitely way more quit with the fan swap, but still too audible during quiet scenes or just watching stuff that isn't loud. It annoys me enough that I turn the amp off while the kids are watching TV.
How difficult was it to do the fan swap? Any what did you do to the heat sinks? Not sure I would want to open it up. Doesn't that technically "void" the warranty?
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #37 of 978 Old 10-24-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
How difficult was it to do the fan swap? Any what did you do to the heat sinks? Not sure I would want to open it up. Doesn't that technically "void" the warranty?
The fan swap is pretty easy. Take out the 6 screws on top. There is a plastic fan shroud that is taped to the fan; take that off. Take out the 4 screws holding the fan on. I just cut the existing wires and then wired in the new fan (multiple ways of doing this). Put it all back together and that's it. I left the plastic shroud off because it adds to the noise. Some people modify it or put it back on, but it's not needed.

I added little stick on heat sinks just like the little blue ones in this pic:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...140226_004.jpg

Yea, taking it apart and modifying definitely voids the warranty. I think it's a chance most of us take to be able to use these inukes in a home theater setting.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #38 of 978 Old 10-24-2016, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

how did the subs sound with the new amp hooked up to them??
post #39 of 978 Old 10-25-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
The fan swap is pretty easy. Take out the 6 screws on top. There is a plastic fan shroud that is taped to the fan; take that off. Take out the 4 screws holding the fan on. I just cut the existing wires and then wired in the new fan (multiple ways of doing this). Put it all back together and that's it. I left the plastic shroud off because it adds to the noise. Some people modify it or put it back on, but it's not needed.

I added little stick on heat sinks just like the little blue ones in this pic:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...140226_004.jpg

Yea, taking it apart and modifying definitely voids the warranty. I think it's a chance most of us take to be able to use these inukes in a home theater setting.
Thx for the info! Little by little they've been blending into the background noise. So I haven't really been noticing them. Hopefully I will get everything moved in the next week or so and can really see (hear) how they do from a further distance.

Quote:
how did the subs sound with the new amp hooked up to them??
Definitely feel like they have more kick to them now. But I need to rerun Audyssey with the iNuke now in the chain. Might wait to do that until I get all the components moved. I'll report back and let you know.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #40 of 978 Old 10-31-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thx for the info! Little by little they've been blending into the background noise. So I haven't really been noticing them. Hopefully I will get everything moved in the next week or so and can really see (hear) how they do from a further distance.

Definitely feel like they have more kick to them now. But I need to rerun Audyssey with the iNuke now in the chain. Might wait to do that until I get all the components moved. I'll report back and let you know.
did you get a chance to re-run Audyssey???

i watched a movie with some really deep bass this weekend...I think i need to re-secure my screen somehow...it was doing some rattling..
post #41 of 978 Old 10-31-2016, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
did you get a chance to re-run Audyssey???

i watched a movie with some really deep bass this weekend...I think i need to re-secure my screen somehow...it was doing some rattling..
I did. But I actually swapped out gear and moved things around.

I sold the Marantz 8802a and went to the 7702mkii.

Picked up a Roku ultra.

Sold the Oppo 103 and called up a Panny BDP from the reserves.... until the Oppo 203 drops.

Relocated the subs from behind the couch to the front wall.

Transfered all the equipment to a rack shelf off to the right by the bookshelves.

Overall I did lose some nearfield kick. But I think it's interacting with the room more and getting some boundary gain being up a giant the walls.

Played "Bass I love you" and it was shaking the walls outside the house on the back patio.

Need to play around and rerun Audyssey. I was easily clipping when the MV was at 0. So I had to turn it down pretty quickly.

Probably should start learning REW soon and bust out the umik.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #42 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did. But I actually swapped out gear and moved things around.

I sold the Marantz 8802a and went to the 7702mkii.

Picked up a Roku ultra.

Sold the Oppo 103 and called up a Panny BDP from the reserves.... until the Oppo 203 drops.

Relocated the subs from behind the couch to the front wall.

Transfered all the equipment to a rack shelf off to the right by the bookshelves.

Overall I did lose some nearfield kick. But I think it's interacting with the room more and getting some boundary gain being up a giant the walls.

Played "Bass I love you" and it was shaking the walls outside the house on the back patio.

Need to play around and rerun Audyssey. I was easily clipping when the MV was at 0. So I had to turn it down pretty quickly.

Probably should start learning REW soon and bust out the umik.
well dayum man you have been busy...

and with all that money now..didnt you say you was buying us an assembly line of DIY speakers? LOL

why did you buy the Roku? doesnt the game systems do the same thing???

good luck learning the REW..that stuff is confusing...I would of been lost trying to figure it out without @Mattcc22
post #43 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:

and with all that money now..didnt you say you was buying us an assembly line of DIY speakers? LOL

good luck learning the REW..that stuff is confusing...I would of been lost trying to figure it out without @Mattcc22
Wish we had more time that day to figure your system out and tune a little better. The way you had the dual sub outs was confusing me!
post #44 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wish we had more time that day to figure your system out and tune a little better. The way you had the dual sub outs was confusing me!
yeah that was a little odd...and time just flew by that day...
post #45 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
someday we will have to head down and check out William's set up....i also wouldnt mind hearing those Volts again...maybe even as mains.
post #46 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Yea too busy. So much on my plate. I'll be glad when it's all done but likely never will. This hobby isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle change! lol

Well, a few things popped up I need to take care of first. Then, with the holidays right around the corner, I'll be out of town a lot. So was thinking about pushing back any decisions until January. We'll see.

But it would be cool if we could all get together and crank out 20 or 30 speakers and subs. Ha!

The game systems are my roommates and aren't always available. so I wanted something for permanent duty. And maybe when the Oppo UHD player gets here and they add apps, I'll think of selling it.

Quote:
Quote:
How were the dual sub outs configured that was so confusing?

Quote:
someday we will have to head down and check out William's set up....i also wouldnt mind hearing those Volts again...maybe even as mains.
IDK if it's worth the trip just yet. Let me at least get a screen up. But speaking of that, the Elite Screen Material I was looking at is out of stock for 1-3 months.

Still need to look at all the samples against the Elite's offerings like Carl's and some others.

@Mattcc22 , just found your speakers on CL. They look nice! Why are you selling them? What are you going to?

You should put them up on AVS. Might get more action here. IME, CL has been very weak in terms of trying to sell any high end gear.
post #47 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 08:15 AM

Chad has dual sub outs on his receiver and I wasn't sure if they were calibrated separately by his receiver. He ran both outputs to the iNuke and then two outs to the subs. When running REW with just a left or right channel the subs played fairly flat. When I ran L+R in REW the subs were at least 10-15db hotter. We didn't have time to figure the signal chain out completely, but when I left I thought they did sound better than when we started. Would just have liked to have had more time.

Thanks on the speakers! I want to move to a more pro audio design. Thinking about the new HTM-10 over a MBM. My living room is huge with 21ft high ceilings and open to almost the entire house and I want a little more kick in the mid-bass. The towers have really good bass output down to 30 something hz, but it just gets lost in my huge room. I set up my Volt-10's as mains for a few days and A-B'ed against my towers and the tactile feel was more present in the room with the 10". It had more of that live sound feel. I haven't posted on here because I don't want to think about shipping and based on the interest in this thread, doesn't seem to be a whole lot of Jax people here. Guess it couldn't hurt though.
post #48 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea too busy. So much on my plate. I'll be glad when it's all done but likely never will. This hobby isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle change! lol

Well, a few things popped up I need to take care of first. Then, with the holidays right around the corner, I'll be out of town a lot. So was thinking about pushing back any decisions until January. We'll see.

But it would be cool if we could all get together and crank out 20 or 30 speakers and subs. Ha!

The game systems are my roommates and aren't always available. so I wanted something for permanent duty. And maybe when the Oppo UHD player gets here and they add apps, I'll think of selling it.

How were the dual sub outs configured that was so confusing?

IDK if it's worth the trip just yet. Let me at least get a screen up. But speaking of that, the Elite Screen Material I was looking at is out of stock for 1-3 months.

Still need to look at all the samples against the Elite's offerings like Carl's and some others.

@Mattcc22 , just found your speakers on CL. They look nice! Why are you selling them? What are you going to?

You should put them up on AVS. Might get more action here. IME, CL has been very weak in terms of trying to sell any high end gear.
lol @ the life style change comment..thats pretty much true...there will ALWAYS be something to upgrade..and that makes sense on the Roku...was just curious if it did something the game systems didnt.

getting together and trying a bunch of different speakers sounds fun...not sure what i can bring...doubt anyone wants to hear the BIC's. the JBL's might be worthy of a meet, but those dang things are heavy...

between hooking up at your place, whenever you are set up and then grnwnv when he is ready...should be alot of fun..im still dying to hear his 1099's.

I will let Matt explain the dual sub thing if he has time...I will probably explain it wrong...well that and I can barely remember the details.

so you dont have a screen up at all? I ended up getting one of them amazon specials..I guess its served its purpose so far.

and yes Matt's speakers are pretty tight.
post #49 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Chad has dual sub outs on his receiver and I wasn't sure if they were calibrated separately by his receiver. He ran both outputs to the iNuke and then two outs to the subs. When running REW with just a left or right channel the subs played fairly flat. When I ran L+R in REW the subs were at least 10-15db hotter. We didn't have time to figure the signal chain out completely, but when I left I thought they did sound better than when we started. Would just have liked to have had more time.

Thanks on the speakers! I want to move to a more pro audio design. Thinking about the new HTM-10 over a MBM. My living room is huge with 21ft high ceilings and open to almost the entire house and I want a little more kick in the mid-bass. The towers have really good bass output down to 30 something hz, but it just gets lost in my huge room. I set up my Volt-10's as mains for a few days and A-B'ed against my towers and the tactile feel was more present in the room with the 10". It had more of that live sound feel. I haven't posted on here because I don't want to think about shipping and based on the interest in this thread, doesn't seem to be a whole lot of Jax people here. Guess it couldn't hurt though.
yeah that sounds about right..and yeah sorry I wasnt able to have more time..it took a little longer then I thought...and then my daughter had a baby sitting job lined up so I had to take her or she would of killed me....haha.

long as the subs overall sound good, im ok with it...now i just need some new speakers and a receiver.

with any luck Matt..maybe someone passing thru Jville might stumble upon them. They sound just as good as they look...
post #50 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Yea, I'll need to double check my readings off my *****ty SPL meter but I think mine were 6-8 db hotter when running dual.

I also have dual sub outs on my Marantz 7702mkii. I think it does take into account both and at least partially EQs them separately. Could be wrong.

I bet there's a lot of lurkers in JAX and surrounding areas. A lot probably probably don't even know about this sub-forum.

Since these are a specialty item and would match high end furniture, someone might be willing to pay for shipping. Not sure the cost, but I know U-Ship's been mentioned a lot.

Yea, I feel like the Pro Audio is the way to go to get dynamics, tactile response, etc. When are you planning on starting the new build? Any cool design features/veneers?

What subs do you have? Or do you not have any? With your wood working skills, you could probably do a nice end/coffee table design.

With your large space, ported may be the way to go. If you xover @ 80Hz, a good sub is a must in your space. I have a large space too, but I want a different end goal. Flat to five!

Quote:
lol @ the life style change comment..thats pretty much true...there will ALWAYS be something to upgrade..and that makes sense on the Roku...was just curious if it did something the game systems didnt.

getting together and trying a bunch of different speakers sounds fun...not sure what i can bring...doubt anyone wants to hear the BIC's. the JBL's might be worthy of a meet, but those dang things are heavy...

between hooking up at your place, whenever you are set up and then grnwnv when he is ready...should be alot of fun..im still dying to hear his 1099's.

I will let Matt explain the dual sub thing if he has time...I will probably explain it wrong...well that and I can barely remember the details.

so you dont have a screen up at all? I ended up getting one of them amazon specials..I guess its served its purpose so far.

and yes Matt's speakers are pretty tight.
Also, I'm pretty sure the xbox here can't do 4K, WCG and HDR stuff. So the Roku made sense for a semi-permanent solution.

I feel even the BIC's would be great to hear. The purpose of a GTG is to be able to experience all different types of speaker designs. A lot of the people (like us) have limited experiences. So any and all speakers (and subs) should be welcome. The more to compare and contrast, the merrier!

But yea, definitely want to hear these revered DIYSG speakers! Be it the Volt's or 1099's or whatever else someone may have.

Yea, I'm just projecting ~150" 16:9 onto a (lightly) textured beige wall. But it really does look good with proper source material.

Maybe this weekend I can sit down and study the screen samples and make a choice. If so, depending on the availability of the material I choose, I could get a screen built and mounted in a couple weeks.
post #51 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 09:34 AM

Funds are tight right now, so won't be for a while unless I can sell the towers first. Probably going to make the MBM and speakers both in curved cabs that kind of flow together. Not sure on the veneer. I will leave that part up to the wife again. She picked out the black limba.

I had a Dayton reference 15HO in a ported cab and the wife hated the size in the living room. I built a TCsounds Epic12" tapped horn sub. It is up in the attic and vents into the living room. I am going to add a sealed 15 in the corner behind the couch next to see if I can smooth out the room response a little.
post #52 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Funds are tight right now, so won't be for a while unless I can sell the towers first. Probably going to make the MBM and speakers both in curved cabs that kind of flow together. Not sure on the veneer. I will leave that part up to the wife again. She picked out the black limba.

I had a Dayton reference 15HO in a ported cab and the wife hated the size in the living room. I built a TCsounds Epic12" tapped horn sub. It is up in the attic and vents into the living room. I am going to add a sealed 15 in the corner behind the couch next to see if I can smooth out the room response a little.
Don't have any experience with a MBM. That would be interesting. But I bet a bit difficult to properly integrate seamlessly.

Your wife seems to have good taste on what would work well style wise in your room. Let her know we're eagerly awaiting her next choice! lol

So your 12" is kinda like a IB design? Did you measure what it can do?

I'm a firm believer in near-field after I had the dual 18"s behind my couch. And they were pointed away from me (didn't have the cord length to turn them around haha ) with the drivers facing the back of the room.

That's why I was telling Chad I would love to build some 24" subs to put there. That would be epic!
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #53 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

awesome..you talked her into letting you put another sub in the living room??? outstanding..
post #54 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Forgot to mention... still hearing the iNuke. It's a tad less. But still there. I think it's echoing off the back wall.ONly really notice it during quiet scenes. Don't know if I'm going to keep it or not. The only other amp's I know of that are quiet are Crown XLS or XTi's. But both of those are about double the price. Decisions....

These subs can take a lot of power. I can clip the amp to where it shuts off before I hit reference level on the MV. But according to my SPL meter, the subs are not hitting reference level. About 10db below it. I had bump the subs +10db hot to get close to it. But then it would be too much on the amp at higher volumes.

Not sure I'm calibrating them correctly. It could be the source material or something else. I need to figure it out or have someone over who knows more than I do about this stuff. This is all off recollection. I'll have to play around with it some more this weekend and write down all the numbers.
post #55 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Don't have any experience with a MBM. That would be interesting. But I bet a bit difficult to properly integrate seamlessly.

Your wife seems to have good taste on what would work well style wise in your room. Let her know we're eagerly awaiting her next choice! lol

So your 12" is kinda like a IB design? Did you measure what it can do?

I'm a firm believer in near-field after I had the dual 18"s behind my couch. And they were pointed away from me (didn't have the cord length to turn them around haha ) with the drivers facing the back of the room.

That's why I was telling Chad I would love to build some 24" subs to put there. That would be epic!
No, it's not IB. It's a horn. The horn opening vents into the room. It is tuned to 17hz. I have never tested it's limits, but could be fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141102_134727.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	1747705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141108_182409.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	1747713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141111_212613.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1747721  
post #56 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
awesome..you talked her into letting you put another sub in the living room??? outstanding..
Shhhh!! She knows nothing about it LOL
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #57 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
No, it's not IB. It's a horn. The horn opening vents into the room. It is tuned to 17hz. I have never tested it's limits, but could be fun!
That's pretty bad ass!

So what's the difference between that and an IB?
post #58 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Shhhh!! She knows nothing about it LOL
LMFAO!

Are you going to build it into the couch to hide it?

What about transducers?
post #59 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i thought the sub looked awesome on the wall up there..not sure why his wife dont like it.....SMH...
post #60 of 978 Old 11-01-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea, I'll need to double check my readings off my *****ty SPL meter but I think mine were 6-8 db hotter when running dual.

I also have dual sub outs on my Marantz 7702mkii. I think it does take into account both and at least partially EQs them separately. Could be wrong.

I bet there's a lot of lurkers in JAX and surrounding areas. A lot probably probably don't even know about this sub-forum.

Since these are a specialty item and would match high end furniture, someone might be willing to pay for shipping. Not sure the cost, but I know U-Ship's been mentioned a lot.

Yea, I feel like the Pro Audio is the way to go to get dynamics, tactile response, etc. When are you planning on starting the new build? Any cool design features/veneers?

What subs do you have? Or do you not have any? With your wood working skills, you could probably do a nice end/coffee table design.

With your large space, ported may be the way to go. If you xover @ 80Hz, a good sub is a must in your space. I have a large space too, but I want a different end goal. Flat to five!

Also, I'm pretty sure the xbox here can't do 4K, WCG and HDR stuff. So the Roku made sense for a semi-permanent solution.

I feel even the BIC's would be great to hear. The purpose of a GTG is to be able to experience all different types of speaker designs. A lot of the people (like us) have limited experiences. So any and all speakers (and subs) should be welcome. The more to compare and contrast, the merrier!

But yea, definitely want to hear these revered DIYSG speakers! Be it the Volt's or 1099's or whatever else someone may have.

Yea, I'm just projecting ~150" 16:9 onto a (lightly) textured beige wall. But it really does look good with proper source material.

Maybe this weekend I can sit down and study the screen samples and make a choice. If so, depending on the availability of the material I choose, I could get a screen built and mounted in a couple weeks.
well with that being said..can bring the BIC's and the JBL's....got a small car but can make it work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page