Charlotte, NC - HT Meet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 148 Old 02-08-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am starting this thread to put together a Home Theater meet for the greater Charlotte, North Carolina area. I have setup 2 dates to spread it out and to provide everyone a choice as follows:

Dates: Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 @ 1PM

Location: Denver, NC (west side of Lake Norman, directions will be provided)

For those that would like to attend please respond to this post. If you would like to bring something please indicate that as well.

My Equipment list:
  • * Panasonic PT-AE1000
    * DIY Anamorphic Lens
    * Yamaha RX-V3800
    * Paradigm SA-35 for L/C/R
    * Paradigm ADP 590 for side and rear surrounds
    * SVS PB13 Ultra
    * SMX 10' 2.35 AT Screen
    * Toshiba A35 HD-DVD
    * Sony PS3 for BluRay
    * 8 Berkline 090 seats

My Demo list:
  • * DTS Demo DVD's #8 & #9
    * THX Demo Disc
    * Demo DVD's from the demo thread - 2, 18, 21, 23, 24 & 25


Bob
Dark_Wizard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 148 Old 02-08-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Attendees for October 25th:
  • 1. Riblet - baked goods
    2. pumbaa071 - tentative
    3. Tim_B - Plates & Cups
    4. Rob - ?
    5. mbgonzomd - ?
    6. Somniplex & wife - Nachos & salsa?
    7. CJ - Soda
Dark_Wizard is offline  
post #3 of 148 Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
 
pumbaa071's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
im down. if im in town which is close to when im headin to philly/atlantic city/nyc for spring break. but im definatly there if im in town.

im purple!
xbl:pumbaa071
psn:antishock
pumbaa071 is offline  
post #4 of 148 Old 02-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Senior Member
 
tidalwdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I should probably be able to make it. Can I bring my wife? I'm not sure I could host one though, I only have seating for four in my theater unless I bring in some more chairs or people sit on the floor. I do have a home arcade though with a MAME, pool table, electroinc darts, and 16 pinball machines that everyone could play if there's any interest.

Dave
tidalwdave is offline  
post #5 of 148 Old 02-09-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dropzone7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm in. Let me know what kind of sources you have so I can bring some demo material. (DVD, HD-DVD, Blu Ray). I'm not sure if you were planning on snacks or anything but I would be glad to bring something.
dropzone7 is online now  
post #6 of 148 Old 02-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Member
 
sharpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in.
sharpe is offline  
post #7 of 148 Old 02-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Riblet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to attend. This is only two weeks after I move to the Denver side of Charlotte, but I should have become settled into the new house by then. Any earlier would be too soon for me. Thanks for starting this, and hosting the first meet.
Riblet is offline  
post #8 of 148 Old 02-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Member
 
SpartanTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in. What should I bring? If any of you guys need anything, let me know. My fiance works for a large electronics retailer that just so happens to offer a great discount

SpartanTS
SpartanTS is offline  
post #9 of 148 Old 02-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
pumbaa071's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i can bring hd-dvds if i can make it... let me know if you want a list of them.

im purple!
xbl:pumbaa071
psn:antishock
pumbaa071 is offline  
post #10 of 148 Old 02-09-2008, 06:06 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member
 
ebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Great idea, but I can't make that date. Be sure and post a review.
ebr is offline  
post #11 of 148 Old 02-09-2008, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dropzone7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanTS View Post

I'm in. What should I bring? If any of you guys need anything, let me know. My fiance works for a large electronics retailer that just so happens to offer a great discount

Oh dude, you shouldn't have said that...:
dropzone7 is online now  
post #12 of 148 Old 02-10-2008, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidalwdave View Post

I should probably be able to make it. Can I bring my wife? I'm not sure I could host one though, I only have seating for four in my theater unless I bring in some more chairs or people sit on the floor. I do have a home arcade though with a MAME, pool table, electroinc darts, and 16 pinball machines that everyone could play if there's any interest.

Dave

Sure, bring the wife. Hey a day out playing some pool sounds nice too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I'm in. Let me know what kind of sources you have so I can bring some demo material. (DVD, HD-DVD, Blu Ray). I'm not sure if you were planning on snacks or anything but I would be glad to bring something.

I just updated the first post with my equipment and demos so this should give you an idea. Snacks I was planning on so I will leave it up to you what you want to bring, maybe a post so we have no dupes on the eats. Thanks.
Dark_Wizard is offline  
post #13 of 148 Old 02-10-2008, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riblet View Post

Thanks for starting this, and hosting the first meet.


No problem, looking forward to it.
Dark_Wizard is offline  
post #14 of 148 Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Great idea, but I can't make that date. Be sure and post a review.

Hmmm, you could stop by when your schedule permits. I would like to get to know everyone in the area and see what they too have accomplished.

Bob
Dark_Wizard is offline  
post #15 of 148 Old 02-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Senior Member
 
John Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in. I will try to have one shortly thereafter. Mid April I should be golden to host one.
John Martin is offline  
post #16 of 148 Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I may be able to make it. Schedule is typically an unknown until last minute, but I'll check to see if there's room if I can make it.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #17 of 148 Old 02-10-2008, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post

I'm in. I will try to have one shortly thereafter. Mid April I should be golden to host one.

Great...I will be at yours as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I may be able to make it. Schedule is typically an unknown until last minute, but I'll check to see if there's room if I can make it.

I penciled you in as tentative...
Dark_Wizard is offline  
post #18 of 148 Old 02-10-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbgonzomd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sounds great. Mark me down as tentative. Make sure you post a reminder when the date gets closer. I can only plan about 7-10 days in advance (must of killed too many brain cells in college, or maybe being married and having kids kills them)

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
mbgonzomd is offline  
post #19 of 148 Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Member
 
GregJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Count me in. Be nice to see your theater.
GregJ1 is offline  
post #20 of 148 Old 02-10-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

Sounds great. Mark me down as tentative. Make sure you post a reminder when the date gets closer. I can only plan about 7-10 days in advance (must of killed too many brain cells in college, or maybe being married and having kids kills them)

I think it's the marriage and kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJ1 View Post

Count me in. Be nice to see your theater.

Thanks. Added you to the list.
Dark_Wizard is offline  
post #21 of 148 Old 02-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Member
 
Somniplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please add me + wife as tentative as well! She (wife) has a track car and has a couple of driving events in March that I need to check on.

We keep our boat at Westport Marina in Denver and am somewhat familar with the area.

Thank you for hosting We're also open to host a future meet.
Somniplex is offline  
post #22 of 148 Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somniplex View Post

Please add me + wife as tentative as well! She (wife) has a track car and has a couple of driving events in March that I need to check on.

We keep our boat at Westport Marina in Denver and am somewhat familar with the area.

Thank you for hosting We're also open to host a future meet.

Added you & the wife as tentative. NP on the hosting and looking forward to yours.

Bob
Dark_Wizard is offline  
post #23 of 148 Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dropzone7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Looks like this is turning into a nice little group. Looking forward to it!
dropzone7 is online now  
post #24 of 148 Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Looks like this is turning into a nice little group. Looking forward to it!

Agreed! This is making me get done faster.
Dark_Wizard is offline  
post #25 of 148 Old 02-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Riblet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am very much looking forward to seeing the SMX AT screen and the Berkline 090 seats. These are the exact products I am targeting at the moment, so a big bonus for me to see them in action. You are missing the projector on your list, and do not remember you stating which in your other threads. Are you going to use zooming for 2.35:1 or a lens/prism assembly? Of course, I could just wait for the meet and get all the answers at once!
Riblet is offline  
post #26 of 148 Old 02-12-2008, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riblet View Post

I am very much looking forward to seeing the SMX AT screen and the Berkline 090 seats. These are the exact products I am targeting at the moment, so a big bonus for me to see them in action. You are missing the projector on your list, and do not remember you stating which in your other threads. Are you going to use zooming for 2.35:1 or a lens/prism assembly? Of course, I could just wait for the meet and get all the answers at once!

Oops, sorry to spoil the surprise but thanks for pointing that out. I updated the list to include my pj as well as zooming for now until I can afford the lens.
Dark_Wizard is offline  
post #27 of 148 Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member
 
ebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I highly recommend adding the lens but, depending on your projector's capabilities, it could also mean you need some sort of scaler too (for hi-def inputs). I zoomed for the first year and the lens is soooo much better...
ebr is offline  
post #28 of 148 Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

I highly recommend adding the lens but, depending on your projector's capabilities, it could also mean you need some sort of scaler too (for hi-def inputs). I zoomed for the first year and the lens is soooo much better...


I will as soon as I can afford one but for now the Panny does fine with zooming from those who use the same PJ so I am good for now.
Dark_Wizard is offline  
post #29 of 148 Old 02-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Senior Member
 
smbsocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Mark me down as tentative. I can make it as long as I will be in town (should be) and do not have a fire to put out at work (hopefully not).
smbsocal is online now  
post #30 of 148 Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dark_Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post

Mark me down as tentative. I can make it as long as I will be in town (should be) and do not have a fire to put out at work (hopefully not).

Done...thx!
Dark_Wizard is offline  
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off