Keeping Mitsubishi DLP clean inside? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-01-2008, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so I just had my WD-57732 in for repair due to a failed light engine (fun... but at least Mitsu took care of the parts & labor for it). While the tech was doing that he also claimed the inside of my TV was 'very dirty' and needed a full cleaning. Apparently a very full cleaning, since they charged me $90 for it. Our home isn't extremely dirty or anything, but dust does settle on things, including the TV, after a few weeks, so there is definitely some dust in the air. Plus, we have pets.

So, my question is: Is there something I can do to filter the air getting into the TV, or is there a straightforward way for me to open the cabinet and clean things out once a year? I'd like to avoid future problems with the set due to dust & dirt.

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-01-2008, 06:46 AM

Wow, I currently am having a problem with my 57731 tv. The repairman is on the way and I wondered if dust caused my problem as well. I hope someone has an answer for us.

dave
post #3 of 13 Old 03-01-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Didn't you guys know that sets like these are basically vacuum cleaners that suck the air in to keep things cool? If you knew it, why are surprised that, like the vaccum cleaners, they will collect dust. Adding a filter is likely to make things run hotter. Whatever fix you are thinking about, the RPTV manufacturers already considered and nixed.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not surprised they would suck in dust. I'm surprised they would be designed in a way that allowed that dust entering the cabinet to cause problems. Since it seems this might be the case I'm just asking for ideas on how to keep things clean. What do other folks do to keep the insides of their DLP TVs clean?

Rob
post #5 of 13 Old 03-02-2008, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

So, nobody here has ever cleaned the insides of their own DLP and would like to offer pointers about how to do it??
post #6 of 13 Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbell View Post

So, nobody here has ever cleaned the insides of their own DLP and would like to offer pointers about how to do it??

In my TV (WD-62525), the electronics boards are inside the electrical chassis and seemed relatively clean (after 3 yrs of use). Dust around the main part of the TV inside probably doesn't matter much. Dust on the mirror is bad, but can be reduced (at least on my model) by using tape to ensure there are no gaps in the insulation protecting that area.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 PM

MITSUBISH-WD62825- 62 INCH DLP T.V.

MAJOR RIPOFF!!! DONT BUY ANY MITSUISHI TVS!!

Well, any of us who bought this TV, have been had, and ripped off!
Anyone who owns one knows what I am talking about!
Everyone has had to replace expensive bulbs in these TVs many times!
Or expansive board or other parts, which by the time it's all said and done, it just cost more than the TV Set its self, to fix over a period of time. No one like to hear, or think they made a bad decision or purchase, But We did, It a fact. I don't know about the rest of you but I am so pissed off about it I am going on every thread I can find and posting this to want others about MITSUBISHI products ALL MITSUBIHI products!
I for one will never, And I mean never in my life time buy anything again with the MITSUBISHI name on it! Not a TV, not a CAR, not a flashlight or even a toaster!
And I will make it a personal mission to let everyone I know, and can think of to do the same. This company Just thinks we're all just stupid Americans, and they will take us to the cleaners if they can, in a lot of cases they have! But know more! The way to fight back is spread the word of your experience post it every ware! If Americans don't buy there products maybe it will help to put them out of business!

My Story!
1. Bought MITSUBISH WD62825 on 12-27-2005+ extended warranty!
2. 1st lamp failed on 11-4-2006 warranty covered but would have been $300 to replace out of pocket. They had to order the lamp installed 11-7-2006.
3. 2nd lamp went out on 9-28-2007 less than a year from last replacement. Still under warranty, they had to order lamp, installed 10-2-2007.
4. 3rd lamp went out 6-8-2008 no lamp warranty this time, original warranty only good for 2 lamp replacements, Cost $215 out of pocket had to order installed 6-15-2008. Ordered backup lamp to this time another $215.
5. 6-5-2009 Screen getting blotchy, mirrors need cleaning, took off front and cleaned mirrors (Have done many times with no problems). Cleaned filters, all dust I could get to out of TV. Reassembled Set. Turned on fine, (Keep in Mind I am a Tech for a living to).
6. 1/2 hour of Set running comes up with the heat warning message and says the set will be shutting down, and to check all air flow, to make sure of no blockage! (THERE IS NONE OR WAS NONE!) Cleaning should have made it run cooler in fact. Shut down occurs red flashing light.
7. After inspection and finding know air flow blockage, I set up 2 6 inch fans to blow in the air flow duct, and one to blow general from the right!
8. Took power off the set unplugged it, (Only way it would reset) after a wait of about 15 mins with the fans blowing, I plugged back in, The flashing rest light (green) when through is cycle. Then turned TV back on.
9. 35 mins, go's bye and it did it again.
Long story short, from doing extensive testing, If the air temp in the room gets above 74.3 degrees, even with fan blowing the set will shut off, and needs to be unplugged cooled down, If you run the air conditioner, and keep the room below 74.3, it will run for some time, then get to hot and shut down.
The problems is in the DM board and the sensors in the Set, It cost $700 to $900 for the parts + install.

No one should have to run 2 fans, keep the room temp below 70 degrees just to use this set. They know it we know it, and Mitsubishi does not care. They know and knew of the problem! But sell them to the dumb Americans anyway!

A. MITSUBISHI will not replace or fix, standing orders, they would rather go to court, in the long run even if they have to pay, and they still win, in the long run. Because not all the sets they sold will have the people listed on the suite, so they still come out ahead. On people who are named on a class action suit get paid and then at a small amount so they win.

Do not Buy DLP TVS period.

A. It's a well know fact they go through costly bulbs like crazy!
B. They have to be cleaned constantly if you don't keep the mirrors clean the picture degrades until you do. (Involves taking the screen of to get to the mirrors!)
C. They Get HOT, REAL HOT, because of the lamp! And most models do not have enough cooling fans in them, so bulbs and boards go out a lot, and at a big cost! This is for all DLPS any brand! Not Just Mitsubishi, I know people with other brands who have the same problem.
So This MITSUBISHI WD-62825 that I bought in 2005 for more than $3000 is worthless! I am not willing to keep putting $1200 or more a year in to it just to keep it running, and who know just how long you will be able to keep getting parts on top of that!
So I am going to Just go buy a 47 to 50 inch LCD, for about $1000, seems from the research I have been doing they have a lot less problems, oh yea the bulb does go out in them but a lot less often, and they don't make the heat the DLPS do, and have a lot less other problems, I am Just tired a screwing with it, and the frustration of it all! Heck at what it costs me to keep this Mitsubishi WD-62825 running, I could throw a LCD set away about every 4 years and get a new one and still come out ahead! And especially now since they have come out with the LED TV's the LCDS are dropping in price big time! Soon you will be able to buy a 50 to 55 inch for under $1000.
Just don't buy MITSUBISHI LCD ether. THERE JUNK TO!

post #8 of 13 Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

I'm trying to find a way to clean the mirrors on my 57732 also?
post #9 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 12:06 PM

Plasma Category Mitsubishi/Sony:
DLP Category Keeping in mind that the JD Power and Associates award is based on usage and user satisfaction ratings as they responded to the survey. So these are good things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post

I'm trying to find a way to clean the mirrors on my 57732 also?

On each side of the outer shell of your 732 are round entry points secured with a screw which allow you to reach in and access the mirror should you need to dust it off. What specifically is the issue with your set?
post #11 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck007 View Post

On each side of the outer shell of your 732 are round entry points secured with a screw which allow you to reach in and access the mirror should you need to dust it off. What specifically is the issue with your set?

Well the picture is getting very "fuzzy" and what I mean is everything looks like it's "blooming". It's very noticeable white the whites.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 11:43 PM

QUOTE=SUPERMANROB;17047003]Well the picture is getting very "fuzzy" and what I mean is everything looks like it's "blooming". It's very noticeable white the whites.[/quote]

Check out this thread.....myself, along with several others have completed this procedure with stunning results. I recently serviced my friend's 57732 and he was amazed at the difference.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1148792[
post #13 of 13 Old 08-27-2009, 04:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 143
TechGuy2277; While I understand why you are pissed, the lamp issue I would say might be because of a bad ballast. The shutting down issue is a thermal sensor (cost is a few bucks that is covered under warrenty).

As far as replacing 'lamps', no different than what one had to do with slide projectors, movie projectors (if your old enough), portable front projection units (DLP, LCD & DIlLA) all use 'lamps'. I'd rather replace a lamp than a CRT.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page