2008 Mitsubishi Owners Thread (735/736 and diamond) - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

Old 08-11-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
Follow up.

I finally got round to calling them today. All they offered me was the chip, I had to pay to have it installed. When I told them about others getting the installation as well and that the chip is known to be defective, she told me, basically, to go pound sand (nicely of course).

So I am waiting to speak to a supervisor about this. I think I might have blown this.

Now the question becomes, do I buy the chip and do it myself, or take the offer and pay for the install... Any helpful, constructive, thoughts out there?

Seggers
I planned on keeping my TV when I did it (still have it) so I just paid to have them do it. I know there are videos and instructions on how to do it, so I could have gone that route, but I was lazy that week If you're going to sell it, get the chip and do it yourself. Just my opinion.

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I just bought my 73736 with stand (not the stand in my avatar, but the Mits factory stand that my son has now) and remote for $80...New Mits lamp...needed a chip...Another $170 for the new Shopjimmy DMD chip and an hour of time, I had a $2500 TV. I got another 73733 for my step-son that needed a module ($130) for $50. If the set doesn't work right, they don't sell...Guy was asking $150 for my set.

These don't get the love they deserve because they can't hang on the wall. You know, like all the flat panels that sit on stands can.

Seriously, you can't replace the tv with a comparable set for anywhere close to what little effort it will take to repair yourself. Well worth the effort and when you are finished, provided you install a new lamp as well since you will be back there anyway, you will have what equates to a brand new set that will last for a few more years...easily.

Your call...
old corps likes this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fire TV|Toshiba HD DVD-A35|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|Roku2 XS|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
Old 08-11-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I have nothing but love from Mitsu DLPs. Every one in a while, I check Craigslist for 73" and 82" models because my 65" is just "too small"

I found a 50" Samsung DLP out with the trash one night while delivering newspapers. I just have a feeling I knew exactly what was wrong with it. They even left the remote out with the TV. I was able to put the TV in my truck, drove home, and plugged it in. Saw the flash codes, and confirmed my suspicions - bad bulb. Found a replacement on eBay for $50. Great garage TV for the second Xbox!

Go Jackets!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
Follow up.

I finally got round to calling them today. All they offered me was the chip, I had to pay to have it installed. When I told them about others getting the installation as well and that the chip is known to be defective, she told me, basically, to go pound sand (nicely of course).

So I am waiting to speak to a supervisor about this. I think I might have blown this.

Now the question becomes, do I buy the chip and do it myself, or take the offer and pay for the install... Any helpful, constructive, thoughts out there?

Seggers

I would still have them do it. That way if something messes up they have to fix it. The guy that did mine messed up, and I had white spots on the screen, like light was leaking from somewhere. They sent a guy from a different company and I got a new light engine out of the deal.

Free chip with $200 labor is a good deal. If you don't lose your cool, you can try to push for more and you might get it. Don't use other people's success as an example, but act as if you know nothing about them (us) and just firmly but politely negotiate. If you freak out, they will shut you down immediately.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
Old 08-12-2015, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@seggers
There is not much price difference between buying the chip and installing it yourself or using Mits approved service shop to install it. The chip goes for about $170. As was mentioned in another post, pay the $200 and have peace of mind. Mits will send the chip directly to the installer, so you know you are getting the real deal, not some imitation. The installer will come to your residence.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had my chip replaced back in February. I had planned to get a few more years of life for the TV, despite my fan getting noisy. For me, having Mitsubishi do it was worth it. Once I put a new lamp in, I'll hopefully be in good shape for a while.

The savings between doing it yourself and having a Mitsubishi approved servicer do the repair is pretty minimal ($20 to $30 savings, maybe). The repairman was in and out in about half an hour. It would have probably taken me several hours to figure out and a chance of the TV never turning back on, in which I'd be out TV and a new DLP chip.

You mentioned wanting to sell it off soon. I wouldn't think that would be worth it then, as I would imagine people buying second hand are not going to pay much more than $200 for an old DLP set. But that's just guessing... no evidence. A cheap 65" RCA LCD TV can be had for $650 new. I feel DLPs are slowly becoming the tube TVs. You can't give them away if you try.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post
A cheap 65" RCA LCD TV can be had for $650 new. I feel DLPs are slowly becoming the tube TVs. You can't give them away if you try.
Yeah, it's amazing what people think they can get because the TV is "big screen." Right now people see the LCD and LED TVs so they want thin and sexy. And for $1000 you can get a 65" Smart TV with Internet connetivity and apps. Why sellers think they can get $500-$600 for a 5 year old TV that's 4 times as wide, without any apps or Internet, I'll never know. I found someone selling the Mitsu 92" TV for $1600. Wha? I can buy a new projector for cheaper than that, paint a wall with the special projector paint, and still come out ahead.
Squirrel! likes this.

Go Jackets!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:30 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Yeah, it's amazing what people think they can get because the TV is "big screen." Right now people see the LCD and LED TVs so they want thin and sexy. And for $1000 you can get a 65" Smart TV with Internet connetivity and apps. Why sellers think they can get $500-$600 for a 5 year old TV that's 4 times as wide, without any apps or Internet, I'll never know. I found someone selling the Mitsu 92" TV for $1600. Wha? I can buy a new projector for cheaper than that, paint a wall with the special projector paint, and still come out ahead.
Frankly I don't care about smart TV's with Internet connectivity and apps. The projector argument doesn't really fly either because that's really a different market as the room requirements to make a projector work well are somewhat different (primarily more need for light control). What I want from a TV is a large quality picture.

But the reality is that it's not realistic to expect to get big bucks for a used TV. As I said in a prior post, these TV's are completely impractical to ship due to their size and weight. Another issue is that the buyer has no idea if the TV is going to work for 30 days or 5 years and won't have any sort of warranty and getting repairs on these isn't as simple as with most audio components (again because shipping them is a problem). When I bought my current WD-82838 a few years ago, I ended up selling my WD-65835 for less than $200 and it took me a while to find a buyer. IMHO, if the TV works and the goal is to sell it, there's no point in spending a few hundred bucks to install the new DLP chip - only do so if the goal is to keep the TV for a while. Otherwise, sell it as-is for what you can get.
Squirrel! likes this.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So selling my Mits was an option. One that has been dashed against the shores of hard reality. I was idly wondering what it could have been worth and not a lot seems to be the answer. I did sell on my old 60 inch Sony LCD RP, when the Mits first arrived, and I remember getting better money than that. But LCDs were new and still expensive back then.

So when, or amybe if, the Mits customer support people get back to me, I will take the repair, try for a free install or just swallow the 200 on it. Then I'll offer it to my inlaws and move to the LCD/LED world and either got with the 90 that I wanted or see if I can get >=80 in the new 4k world.

It's just a shame such a good bit of kit (my pic still looks flawless, outside of 1 white pixel) isn't that well received....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, the internet, an ASUS ChromeBox running Kodi 15.1, a TiVo Series 3 and a Sony BDPS6200. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
Old 08-21-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Update No. 2.

We noticed a second white dot last night. Thankfully, the Mits supervisor called me today (crappy VoIP connection) and I set up getting the chip installed. Still going to cost me the 200, but as the service centre is within 10 miles of my place, I don't expect much else in the way of costs.

I might ask them to add some heat compound to the chip, like you do with CPU heatsinks and ask if they can hoover inside the TV (or I might just do that whilst they are fiddling) as I've noticed that the fan is starting to whirr a bit more lately.

Now do I keep it, or do I go with that 90 or 84 4K that I've been looking at....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, the internet, an ASUS ChromeBox running Kodi 15.1, a TiVo Series 3 and a Sony BDPS6200. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
Old 09-01-2015, 04:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Update No. 3.

We're up to 4 dots now, all in the right hand side of the screen. The tech is scheduled for the 14th, with no time (the tech works that out) which could get annoying as I have a Drs apt early in the morning.

I nearly got hold of an LG 84inch 4K tv. Missed out though...

Seggers

Old 09-14-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Final update.

We ended up with 7 dots, with 1 being added pretty much every time the TV was switched on. Oddly enough all the dots were in the middle/right of the screen.

Install guy had it all in and out pretty quickly. Said he'd done a few of these and Samsung's that used the same chip. TV fired up fine once we let it (I keep mine on go cold) and the dots were gone and there was that picture I paid for....

Install guy said it was the cleanest back and inside he had ever seen in one of these. And there was little dust inside, so the A/C/heating and keeping the cats away seemed to be working.

Next steps? I keep looking at a couple of 2014s (the 90 Sharp, an 84 4k LG) and a 2015 80 Sharp. I may just keep hold of of the Mits until around Black Friday and see if I can get any of the above down into my price range.

Seggers
smokozuna and Augerhandle like this.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Epilogue...

The TV looks great again. I put back all the calibration that I had, except those values in the service menu and it does pop a little bit more. It was properly calibrated for a darker room and this house isn't so dark.

Drum roll. I think I have just secured a Sharp LC-90LE657U 90-inch Aquos LED TV. I just have to wait for the shop to get back to me (what the hell, not working on a Sunday.... ) to confirm.

Then the 73 is on its way....

Seggers

Old 09-20-2015, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have 3 mirrors stuck. They make a large triangle in the middle of my screen. I am sure more are to come.
The replacement chip is around $200 after shipping from some quick searches, but I've already been consumed by the new TV bug. I also recently replaced the bulb with a cheap amazon replacement and I believe it is too bright, so that isn't helping anything.

I've spent at least 4 hours at Best Buy this week, and unfortunately, it seems like a bad time to buy a TV since the HDR capable sets carry a hefty premium for an unverifiable gain in picture quality. They don't have any HDR content to test with in store and most of the sets are still in need of updates to support it.

I know if a new chip can hold me off for another 6 months, it'll probably save me well over the $200 it costs on my next TV, but after looking at modern LCDs and OLEDs this week, it is tough to watch my DLP even if I ignore the 3 bright white pixels.

I guess there is never a good time as there will always be something better or cheaper around the corner.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwk View Post
... I also recently replaced the bulb with a cheap amazon replacement and I believe it is too bright, so that isn't helping anything...

Turn the contrast down. Get the chip fixed.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
Old 09-21-2015, 09:37 AM

I turned the brightness and contrast to compensate, but it is so bright that when the set is turned off and bulb is warming down, the screen is a speckled gray color.

Unfortunately, I don't own a camera capable of taking pictures in dark settings, otherwise I'd post it here. It's definitely more gray than before I replaced the bulb, but maybe it is just a coincidence with the electronics degrading at the same time.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:33 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwk View Post
I turned the brightness and contrast to compensate, but it is so bright that when the set is turned off and bulb is warming down, the screen is a speckled gray color.

Unfortunately, I don't own a camera capable of taking pictures in dark settings, otherwise I'd post it here. It's definitely more gray than before I replaced the bulb, but maybe it is just a coincidence with the electronics degrading at the same time.
The "cheap amazon replacement" bulb is most likely the problem.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The "cheap amazon replacement" bulb is most likely the problem.

Oh yeah, I am fairly positive it is. But figured for $18, might as well give it a shot. I think the last one I paid about $50 for. It looked fine, but only lasted about half the lifespan of the original. You tend to get what you pay for.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone have the latest firmware for the 73736?
Old 11-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

What does the new firmware do?

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fire TV|Toshiba HD DVD-A35|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|Roku2 XS|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
Old 11-13-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
What does the new firmware do?
I am having the white dots issue on my WD-73736. Figured it couldn't hurt to get a new firmware on there. However, I just called Mits about this. They told me to "pound sand" too HAHA. They said that they couldn't send me a firmware and that end users wouldn't update the firmware on their own. I know the firmware update has nothing to do with the white dots, but figured it was worth a try. The lady was nice but very, very firm. She wouldn't even let me talk to a supervisor and told me it would be a waste of time. I even said how expensive these TVs were and how it has a new lamp but still has the white dots. I was reluctant to buy more parts for it after having bought a new lamp. Regardless, she said that it was so far out of warranty that they wouldn't be able to help me in any way at all. She said I could mail them a receipt of the purchase and they would forward that to be reviewed along with the case. Sounds like alot of hoops to jump through without a certain outcome. Meanwhile the TV is annoying to use in it's current state. I am pretty technical and can easily replace the chip on my own. Sounds like ShopJimmy will be getting my money!
Squirrel! likes this.

Last edited by agibby5; 11-13-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

I replaced my chip about 3 months ago on this set. On my 73733 I replaced the chip about a year ago. Well worth the investment as you could never get a comparable television today for what the DMD costs.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:15 PM

I just replaced my chip! It came a day early from Shop Jimmy! It was pretty easy as I've replaced CPUs many times before in computers. One thing I wanted to ask was this: now it looks like there's a bit of white bleeding through on the black background screens. Anyone else have this problem? I didn't notice it before since the white dots were likely distracting me. I don't notice this at all during video playback but it's apparent on screens with a black background and no motion. My wife tells me I'm too picky. The screen is way better now without the white dots and actually the picture is much more crisp too!

Next I'm investigating getting an IR emitter and some 3d glasses! Any recommendations?
Old 11-19-2015, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agibby5 View Post
I just replaced my chip! It came a day early from Shop Jimmy! It was pretty easy as I've replaced CPUs many times before in computers. One thing I wanted to ask was this: now it looks like there's a bit of white bleeding through on the black background screens. Anyone else have this problem? I didn't notice it before since the white dots were likely distracting me. I don't notice this at all during video playback but it's apparent on screens with a black background and no motion. My wife tells me I'm too picky. The screen is way better now without the white dots and actually the picture is much more crisp too!

Next I'm investigating getting an IR emitter and some 3d glasses! Any recommendations?

Dirty optics. Can be anything from dust on the mirror or front of the lens to something on the DMD chip itself.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
now it looks like there's a bit of white bleeding through on the black background screens.
Can you take a pic? Will it show? The screen will never be pitch black.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well, that was a bust... The Sharp turned into a nightmare. And then today I pulled the trigger on a Vizio M80-C3 from New Egg.

Soon be time to move on the Mitts...

Seggers

Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by agibby5 View Post

the bleeding is many times caused by you accidentally getting dust on the chip. pull the chip and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth, then reinstall.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well, if anyone wants to buy one of these, mine's over in the classified section...

Seggers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here