2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 111 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3301 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI: For those who have a PS3 connected to the a750s, the PS3 just came out with firmware update 2.50. This update upgrades your FlashPlayer, so now Hulu (and similar sites) work. I watched a 30 min. classic TV episode with no problems, and it looked awesome on the 67'' (given that I understood the limitations of the source). Short of connecting a full-fledged PC to the set, the PS3 really makes the a750s shine (and no--I do not own stock in Sony).

P.S. The "full screen" button on the hulu player doesn't seem to work with the update. However, a workaround for me was to zoom the page with the Flash window so it took up the whole screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATman94 View Post

FYI: For those who have a PS3 connected to the a750s, the PS3 just came out with firmware update 2.50. This update upgrades your FlashPlayer, so now Hulu (and similar sites) work. I watched a 30 min. classic TV episode with no problems, and it looked awesome on the 67'' (given that I understood the limitations of the source). Short of connecting a full-fledged PC to the set, the PS3 really makes the a750s shine (and no--I do not own stock in Sony).

P.S. The "full screen" button on the hulu player doesn't seem to work with the update. However, a workaround for me was to zoom the page with the Flash window so it took up the whole screen.

Does the "HD" option for things on Hulu work?
post #3303 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

i guess i'm just puzzled as to why some have the issue and others dont, i mean the frame/screen can only go on a certain way when in production right? is it the torquing of the frame screws causing this perhaps??

Having looked at roughly a dozen sets via the grid test pattern I think there are basically four factors involved with each set's convergence.

1. Chip alignment (how it's mounted) - determines whether there are tilt issues.
2. Optical block (how square it's made)- can be involved in all types of convergence issues.
3. Mirror mounted to the back of the cabinet (how square the cabinet is) - can magnify any of the above or create its own convergence issues.
4. The screen (how square the screen is mounted) - can magnify any of the above or create its own convergence issues.

You need to remember the image starts out smaller than one square inch and gets magnified close to 1,500 times (61 inch model) and with each reflection existing convergence issues only get magnified unless done perfectly.

Well it's next to impossible to increase anything 1,500 times without having minor tolerances become very noticeable. Extremely minor manufacturing differences between the sets will be exposed through this magnification.

Even at its best there will be convergence issues such as the outside of the image being less focussed (guaranteed by the set's design) and others. Having optical blocks swapped I feel most of the issues involve number three and four which can't be corrected in lieu of swapping sets.
post #3304 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Having looked at roughly a dozen sets via the grid test pattern I think there are basically four factors involved with each set's convergence.

1. Chip alignment (how it's mounted) - determines whether there are tilt issues.
2. Optical block (how square it's made)- can be involved in all types of convergence issues.
3. Mirror mounted to the back of the cabinet (how square the cabinet is) - can magnify any of the above or create its own convergence issues.
4. The screen (how square the screen is mounted) - can magnify any of the above or create its own convergence issues.

You need to remember the image starts out smaller than one square inch and gets magnified close to 1,500 times (61 inch model) and with each reflection existing convergence issues only get magnified unless done perfectly.

Well it's next to impossible to increase anything 1,500 times without having minor tolerances become very noticeable. Extremely minor manufacturing differences between the sets will be exposed through this magnification.

Even at its best there will be convergence issues such as the outside of the image being less focussed (guaranteed by the set's design) and others. Having optical blocks swapped I feel most of the issues involve number three and four which can't be corrected in lieu of swapping sets.

thx for the input.....well spoken...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #3305 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATman94 View Post

How do you get to hulu? Through the web browser of ps3?
post #3306 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong212 View Post

Hello, I just got my new tv, love the picture quality, however ever few min. the tv makes a loud snapping noise and i don't know what it is from.. it's been a few days and it is still doing it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Matt

mine does to and at first i thought it was an audio issue, however i have discovered it is the bezel/frame part in front (glossy black) that is popping do to expand/contracting issues....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #3307 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 01:15 PM

I haven't been able to get it to work. The video just freezes on the window when I click 480p option on the Hulu viewer bar. I am not sure if it's the PS3 browser, my broadband connection (1.5 mbs) or combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

Does the "HD" option for things on Hulu work?

post #3308 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 01:16 PM

Yes, just type in "hulu.com" in the address bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampanella View Post

post #3309 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampanella View Post

What is HULU? So you can go on-line, web browsing, with a Ps3 eh?
post #3310 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 01:37 PM

Ok folks, I'm joining the gang! I just pulled the trigger on a 61a750 from Sears. It's their last floor model; salesman estimates 3000 hours of on-time (I know I can check it when I get it home). Got the price down to $1118, so I decided to take the 3-yr in-home warranty as well. In addition, I got a $600 Bell'o stand for $98!!! I have to pick it up though, and here's what I plan to do: The salesman is going to cover the screen with cardboard and wrap the set in saran-wrap type material. I'm picking it up tomorrow in my friend's truck and I plan to place the wrapped set in the forward end of the truck bed (upright) with some blankets, etc. behind the back sloped portion and straps or bungee cords around the front of the set to hold it in (i.e., screen will face back). The ride will be mostly highway, about 9-10 miles. Does anyone see a problem with this approach, or is there anything else I should do? Really looking forward to watching this set, as I've been eyeing it for a long time. It will be replacing my 4-year old 46" Tosh CRT RPTV.
post #3311 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 01:45 PM

You're making me too nervous! If I were you, I would at least make sure the screen and frame have something covering it (that won't scratch it) before putting on the cardboard (which could scratch the screen and frame).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_K View Post

Ok folks, I'm joining the gang! I just pulled the trigger on a 61a750 from Sears. It's their last floor model; salesman estimates 3000 hours of on-time (I know I can check it when I get it home). Got the price down to $1118, so I decided to take the 3-yr in-home warranty as well. In addition, I got a $600 Bell'o stand for $98!!! I have to pick it up though, and here's what I plan to do: The salesman is going to cover the screen with cardboard and wrap the set in saran-wrap type material. I'm picking it up tomorrow in my friend's truck and I plan to place the wrapped set in the forward end of the truck bed (upright) with some blankets, etc. behind the back sloped portion and straps or bungee cords around the front of the set to hold it in (i.e., screen will face back). The ride will be mostly highway, about 9-10 miles. Does anyone see a problem with this approach, or is there anything else I should do? Really looking forward to watching this set, as I've been eyeing it for a long time. It will be replacing my 4-year old 46" Tosh CRT RPTV.

post #3312 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM

Hulu is a free site that has a ton of legal, flash player-based, video content.

Yes, PS3 has a basic web browser. It also media-streams (video, photos, music) if you have a PC with WMP11 on your home network (so you don't have to transfer files to media then play on PS3).

A couple of guys in here recommended a PS3 to me when I was asking about upconverting DVD players in anticipation of receiving my 67a750. I am SO glad that I went with the PS3 as it can do so much more (too many to list here) than just a dvd player. Ironically, I have yet to play a game on the PS3. The HDMI connection to the a750 makes the PS3 and a750 shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post

What is HULU? So you can go on-line, web browsing, with a Ps3 eh?

post #3313 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 02:33 PM

The other night, and this morning, I've seen critters crawling around in my TV. I'm going to be opening it up and seeing if I can get them out, but has anyone else had this happen? I'm hoping the access panels give me enough room to take care of this.

I think they're fruit flys, as we've had issues with them of late, thanks to a banana sitting in the bathroom garbage for over a couple weeks that went unnoticed.

Just wondering what they'd find to great in there. At least the one I've seen.

Samsung HL67A750
DirecTV
1 X HR21-700
post #3314 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkclark View Post

The other night, and this morning, I've seen critters crawling around in my TV. I'm going to be opening it up and seeing if I can get them out, but has anyone else had this happen? I'm hoping the access panels give me enough room to take care of this.

I have seen this. If you are going to venture inside the set I would be very careful as the screen material can be damaged without too much effort and if you touch the mirror mounted inside of the cabinet you might leave enough residue that it alters the displayed image. Even dusting the mirror can cause the dust to build up in one area leaving a darken image (reflected from that area) on the screen. I'd suggest letting them die of natural causes where I'm sure they will fall to the bottom of the cabinet.
post #3315 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 05:34 PM

Even using warm2 I have to cool of a picture. Seems to be green push.
Can someone walk me thru the service menu to do a better color balance?
[ a bit scared of doing this]

Sorry if thr RGB is in a regular menu as I have gone thru them over and over and missed it.
post #3316 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 PM

FYI
Just got the HL67A750 for $1889 at Circuit City. I assume this to be a good price?

Mike
post #3317 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 09:40 PM

Liked: 21
From prices I've seen on it (mostly $2000+) that's a pretty good deal.

Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Samsung HL61A750 HDTV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii

My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
post #3318 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

I'm sure our TV can display blacker than black, i.e. 0 IRE. I've used the AVCHD calibration disk, (which is very nice by the way. If you haven't downloaded it and burned it, you should. Only works in a Blu ray player), and the test patterns there can be used to clearly show blacker than black (provided the PS3 and TV settings are set to what I suggest in the FAQ). This is fast becoming my favorite test disk, (don't have getgray yet).

From the link: "These disks are intended to be useful without test equipment, but primarily they're centered around taking measurements with a colorimeter or spectroradiometer from window patterns. The disks were initially created for use with ColorHCFR, yet they can be used with other software such as CalMAN that is currently hosting the downloads."

I calibrate my computer LCD monitors with the Pantone Huey Pro colorimeter. The above quote seems to imply that I would need to [somehow] connect my HL61A750 to a computer for the AVCHD disc to work correctly. This seems extreme. What am I missing?
post #3319 of 15718 Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu husker View Post

Hello All,

Ive had my HL61A750 for about a week now. Love it, but I have noticed some picture symmetry issues. The bottom horizontal axis is perfect, but both veritcal and the top horizontal have about a 1/4 to maybe 1/2 "smile".

Browsed thru the board and saw some tidbits on the issue, but not sure what to do. Is my only option just taking it back to BB, getting a new one and hoping its better?

Part of me thinks I should just keep it, because the bottom horizontal is ok, which would be the most important with tickers, etc. The side bars are really annoying in pillar box mode tho.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

CSU: what was your decision on this? My HL61A750 exhibits the same geometry errors (mostly only noticeable on the DirecTV grid). I've had the Sammy for two months and I'm starting to ignore it, and otherwise the picture is quite seductive, but still...
post #3320 of 15718 Old 10-17-2008, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I hear people say that this set has a 120hz refresh rate, but have not been able to see any of that documented anywhere on websites. How do you know its 120hz?
post #3321 of 15718 Old 10-17-2008, 05:40 AM

I'm starting to notice what I think is SSE in solid reds (Phillies warm-up jackets) and in big blocks of skin (Bikini Destinations - love that show). I thought SSE was only supposed to be like bright whites and stuff? Any cures for this? Any of you see this with mike_pro's settings?
post #3322 of 15718 Old 10-17-2008, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot View Post

I'm starting to notice what I think is SSE in solid reds (Phillies warm-up jackets) and in big blocks of skin (Bikini Destinations - love that show). I thought SSE was only supposed to be like bright whites and stuff? Any cures for this? Any of you see this with mike_pro's settings?

SSE looks more like someone smeared grease on your screen and there's usually nothing you can do about it other than turning down contrast to reduce seeing it.
post #3323 of 15718 Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Guys, ISF calibration is an absolute must on this set!! Lat night I had the priviledge to have Jeff of www.accucalhd.com (UMR on the forum) over to my house for both a full ISF calibration on my 61" and a full audio calibration (which was equally, if not more amazing). The difference in the set before and after his work is absolutely stunning!! This is not a minor improvement. Colors were way off from way they should be and it took him multiple hours to truly dial in the set. It is now a different TV. I promise you I am not over hyping this. I can assure you that you would feel the same way.

We were able to achieve colors basically on par with the newest Pioneer Elite Plasmas The Pioneer plasma still obviously has better black levels but that is not something that is adjustable. This calibration truly allows DLP technology to shine. For the few hundred dollars it costs to get this done, it is an absolute no-brainer and the best investment you can make in this set. Even with additional cost of the calibration you are still thousands of dollars below a plasma of similar size, and now very close in performance. I am hopeful Jeff will respond here with some of his graphs and data to further show you what I am talking about. Turst me, do not even think about it, just do it
post #3324 of 15718 Old 10-17-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

I hear people say that this set has a 120hz refresh rate, but have not been able to see any of that documented anywhere on websites. How do you know its 120hz?

I think being 3-D the 120 refresh is a given.I'm not for sure but I think you have to have a 120hz for 3-D. Please someone correct me if i'm wrong
post #3325 of 15718 Old 10-17-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

I think being 3-D the 120hz is a given
post #3326 of 15718 Old 10-17-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Guys, ISF calibration is an absolute must on this set!! Lat night I had the priviledge to have Jeff of www.accucalhd.com (UMR on the forum) over to my house for both a full ISF calibration on my 61" and a full audio calibration (which was equally, if not more amazing). The difference in the set before and after his work is absolutely stunning!! This is not a minor improvement. Colors were way off from way they should be and it took him multiple hours to truly dial in the set. It is now a different TV. I promise you I am not over hyping this. I can assure you that you would feel the same way.

We were able to achieve colors basically on par with the newest Pioneer Elite Plasmas The Pioneer plasma still obviously has better black levels but that is not something that is adjustable. This calibration truly allows DLP technology to shine. For the few hundred dollars it costs to get this done, it is an absolute no-brainer and the best investment you can make in this set. Even with additional cost of the calibration you are still thousands of dollars below a plasma of similar size, and now very close in performance. I am hopeful Jeff will respond here with some of his graphs and data to further show you what I am talking about. Turst me, do not even think about it, just do it

so lets see your in florida does he make service calls to iowa. its only 1200 miles or so.......

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #3327 of 15718 Old 10-17-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

so lets see your in florida does he make service calls to iowa. its only 1200 miles or so.......

Go to his website and it will list all the traveling tours he does and when he will be there. Or shoot him a PM.
post #3328 of 15718 Old 10-17-2008, 07:57 AM

None of them come to the seattle area.
post #3329 of 15718 Old 10-17-2008, 08:00 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 29
Quote:

I actually live in Missouri. My tour schedule is at www.accucalhd.com/tours.htm. I am sure I could travel to Iowa if there was enough interest.
post #3330 of 15718 Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Thanks for the kind comments. These sets do benefit greatly from this. Here are the initial and final colors.

Final Colors.pdf 5.8984375k . file

Initial Colors.pdf 5.904296875k . file
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page