2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
X-posted from other thread:

I also got my 61A750 (from "the River") a few hours ago. I thought the comments on geometry might be indicative of a vocal minority but, unfortunately, I have to add another example.

My set has a tilt - low left to high right - of more than 1 1/4 inches (pretty noticeable - not planning to shim the whole set). I haven't seen anyone mention this but using one of the service menu test patterns (the thin white lines), the upper line is red from the right corner back left about 16 inches. No noticeable bowing.

Folks have mentioned hearing a buzz in Dynamic - which I haven't but there's definitely a strong buzz if I use the USB stick (in the menu alone, exacerbated if viewing a photo - like grid.jpg). I don't plan to use the USB stick much but I'll be asking Samsung for some kind of explanation.

As far as HDTV, OTA 720P HD is a bit grainy but 1080i is great. Blu-ray is pretty darn stunning.

The CEVA delivery dude didn't stick around long enough for me to test the set so I'm going to see if I can resolve these issues before the hassle of sending it back.

If anyone is interested, I'll post my experiences going forward.

---

To follow up, it appears that moving the bezel, etc. as others have suggested
is not working for me. My set looks just like TrapperJohn's/Layd Dly's as far as the direction of tilt but is even more biased with the top line almost "touching" the top of the right side.

I spent months researching and looking at these sets before plunking down the cash. Was hoping I'd be lucky...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tibbs View Post

Use a CLEAN lens cleaning cloth or equivelent and gently wipe the front of the light
engine projector glass. DO NOT PLACE YOUR FINGERS ON THIS OR YOU RISK GETTING
FINGERPRINTS ON IT! The service guy said that it's a nightmare to remove them
(that is what he told me--wether or not it's true is for you to decide).

Hey, thanks for the pics from inside the cab! Nice to know the layout.
post #363 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 10:10 AM

So I'm wondering everyones opinion on source resolution when 1080p is not available. My cable box can do 720p or 1080i as well as my upconverting DVD player, which should I choose for this set? I'm thinking 1080i as that will match up better pixel to pixel for the 1080p set where as the 720p signal will have to be enhanced to fill in the missing pixels.

Any thoughts?
post #364 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no definitively correct answer due to differences in source devices. The best thing to do is to test the different sources to see if they do a better job of scaling/deinterlacing than the display. In general, the set top box (cable box) is usually the worst performer in the source chain. Thus, if possible, it is generally better to have the set top box pass thru what ever resolution it gets at the input to the output. However, the only way you'll know for sure is to test it.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #365 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohnMD View Post

the warranty card is just a scam to get your info and sell it to other companies. never sign those for any product.

Didn't someone mention Samsung extends your warranty for three months when you register?

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #366 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohnMD View Post

as long as you have your original reciept that is all you need.
the warranty card is just a scam to get your info and sell it to other companies. never sign those for any product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Didn't someone mention Samsung extends your warranty for three months when you register?

Hmmmm, forgot about that. You're correct. It's mentioned on the Samsung registration site in the second paragraph of the page: Samsung Registration Site

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #367 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

Hmmmm, forgot about that. You're correct. It's mentioned on the Samsung registration site in the second paragraph of the page: Samsung Registration Site

A sweepstakes? sounds pretty fishy to me.
post #368 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

There is no definitively correct answer due to differences in source devices. The best thing to do is to test the different sources to see if they do a better job of scaling/deinterlacing than the display. In general, the set top box (cable box) is usually the worst performer in the source chain. Thus, if possible, it is generally better to have the set top box pass thru what ever resolution it gets at the input to the output. However, the only way you'll know for sure is to test it.

I would definately try that out but at this point I'm using a Motorola 6412 from Comcast and last I checked pass thru would eliminate the HD signal entirely as the box is required to decrypt the digital signal.

If i'm missing something please enlighten me, I'm by no means an expert.

Thanks!
post #369 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no experience with the Motorola 6412 box. My Motorola BMC 9012F MOXI box is set for pass thru and I have no problem with HD signals (i.e., 720p and 1080i).

don...

post #370 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chripuck View Post

I would definately try that out but at this point I'm using a Motorola 6412 from Comcast and last I checked pass thru would eliminate the HD signal entirely as the box is required to decrypt the digital signal.

If i'm missing something please enlighten me, I'm by no means an expert.

Thanks!

I use the 6412 and that thing provides a nice clear stream of data and picture. not that yours isnt defective but the hardware itself is clean.
post #371 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by chripuck View Post

In the service menu you can tell the receiver how to handle various resolutions such as whether they should be scaled. I haven't play around with a 6416 (same as 6412 with a larger drive) for quite a while so I don't remember how to access the service menu but it's not hard!

| 
|
|
|
post #372 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layd Dly View Post

Click Images for Larger

Off a bit and has a bit of overscan.

All right as far as I can tell this picture shows overscan all around.
Can this be fixed?
Does everyone have the same amount?
--I've seen about the same amount missing with a display at a local BB.
How does it affect using it as a computer monitor?
Doesn't this mean I am not really seeing the entire 1080P image?
Thanks guys.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #373 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 11:24 PM

I got the 61a750 today for my birthday. So far I am very happy with it. I've got it hooked up to directv hd box and am very impressed. I also watched a blu-ray movie today. Picture looks really good.

I was going to update my firmware but what I have is newer than what samsung has on their site. I have 1006.1 and the newest they have listed or is noted in this thread is 1005.3. The manufacture date of the tv is 5-29-08. It seems this one came straight to me from the factory.
post #374 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16floz470ml View Post

I got the 61a750 today for my birthday. So far I am very happy with it. I've got it hooked up to directv hd box and am very impressed. I also watched a blu-ray movie today. Picture looks really good.

I was going to update my firmware but what I have is newer than what samsung has on their site. I have 1006.1 and the newest they have listed or is noted in this thread is 1005.3. The manufacture date of the tv is 5-29-08. It seems this one came straight to me from the factory.

where did you buy it from ?

Jay a.k.a. X

Samsung 67A750-Denon 2809CI-DefTech PM1000/PC2000/PM800-Klipsch Sub12
PS3(250GB)-Sony BDP S350-DTV HDDVR HR21

post #375 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 11:43 PM

I got it from Best Buy.
post #376 of 15746 Old 06-06-2008, 11:58 PM

wow, thats pretty sick man. they must have JUST gotten it in. I got mine on memorial day about 12 days ago, and mine was vers 1004.x and was manufactured 4/27/08.
new or not though, its the QC at the factory that decides the issues at hands if any exist. my only complaint is the flimsy frame which has resulted in the infamous geometry issue. But its soon to be dealt with. the PQ is great tho IMO.

I dont have a good calibration disc, but I used the pixar ratatouille BD to get it tweaked a least a little. here are some pics taken with an older sony digital camera 3.1mp.

note: to see the full image, click to enlarge in a new window, the click on the image again to see full size(depending on your monitors resolution.. or TV's resolution for that matter, lol)

Jay a.k.a. X

post #377 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 04:45 AM

Ran into an issue last night when I watched my first Blu-Ray. When I started the movie the tv said "Format not compatible" then a second later it started the movie but I noticed it had ratcheted it down to 24Hz.

Anyone else have this happen?
post #378 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu husker View Post

Ran into an issue last night when I watched my first Blu-Ray. When I started the movie the tv said "Format not compatible" then a second later it started the movie but I noticed it had ratcheted it down to 24Hz.

Anyone else have this happen?

Blu-Ray at 24Hz is the proper rate, as in 24 frames per second. This is one of the features of your set operating at 120Hz.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #379 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Blu-Ray at 24Hz is the proper rate, as in 24 frames per second. This is one of the features of your set operating at 120Hz.

Cool, thanks. I didnt know that.
post #380 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 92
very nice screenshots, triple-X. thanks. could you post some from a live action movie? have you done much calibration or are those out of the box?

also, you said the geometry issue will "soon be dealt with". I didn't think that could be fixed. Am I wrong?
post #381 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

very nice screenshots, triple-X. thanks. could you post some from a live action movie? have you done much calibration or are those out of the box?

also, you said the geometry issue will "soon be dealt with". I didn't think that could be fixed. Am I wrong?

thanks!
No that isn't out of the box, and I have not gone through anything major as far as calibration, although I want that "Get Grey" disc that I hear people here talk about.
But I had gotten Ratatouille on Blu Ray for like 10 bucks on ebay and had planned watching it to see some no holds barred, FULL HD animated Bluray! Before I watched it I was poking through the special features of the disc and found a little calibration utility similar to what THX offers on some of the star wars movies, So using it, I adjusted the Contrast, brightness, color and tint and thats all. (in movie mode btw).

but yeah I can take come action movie pictures for ya. maybe tonight or tomorrow night before i can. This TV is actually setup in my house, which i just bought a month ago. I am not moved in yet because I am doing some improvements first. SO the tv was merely setup as to test it to make sure there were no issues. Since then I ended up throwing a photon mattress on the floor and spending several night last week there to watch the TV!!! haha.. once I saw the PQ i couldnt stay away. (dont even have cable or internet yet)
I will say that this TV is getting exchanged for the same model, but ONLY because of the Flimsy frame of my particular set. Having visited 2 best buys and a circuit city to compare the floor models of my set I came to find they had stiffer frames than mine, and think it was just due to manufacturing and ALSO shipping. Mine makes it very easy to slightly touch the top frame corners and make the picture sway, much more than what I found with ANY floor model of this OR the 650. and the mits and sony were MUCH more rigid. So I have realized its a samsung thing due to the manufacturing, design and slim depth feature. I can deal with that, but just want mine to be as rigid as the others I have seen.

as far as "soon to be dealt with" exchanging it is basically what I meant.
But I DO KNOW FOR A FACT, that it IS possible to ADJUST the TILT. At first I thought it was via the service menu, but thanks to Rahull from this forum, I found it was via the SERVICE MANUAL. You must adjust the Tilt from the inside of the set, very similar to adjusting a front projector on a screen.
From what I remember reading in the service manual, there are four screws that must be loosened, and utilizing a crosshatch pattern , you can adjust the position of the internal projector, then carefully tightening the screws again after the projector is aimed correctly.

With that in mind, I bet its even possible to Tighten other areas internally to prevent the screen sway/flimsy screen, but as new as mine is, I don't wanna start FIXING ANYTHING yet, but rather have BB deliver me a new one that I test in depth BEFORE they take the FIRST ONE away. if its rigid like the floor models I have seen and STILL has tilt issues, at least I myself, or a service tech can address the tilt issue. My only fear is voiding the warranty or getting dust on the lens, if I do it myself.

Jay a.k.a. X

post #382 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 09:10 AM

I received the TV last night - 1st impression just out of the box the picture looks crappy- After following the settings posted on this thread i was able to fix the picture. I got couple of questions for some experts out here -

1. When i run the test pattern - Using grid.jpg - I see some red line on the right and top. What are your opinions on that - Should i call a service to check it out.

2. I was hearing a little click from the left side - randomly. But after running 2 hrs or so i don't hear it anymore. I am still trying to figure out what that could be. Can't recreate it.

3. Running on SD channels at 4:3 - I saw some bleeding on to the black bars - I have seen it like 4 -8 times. But it seems to have fixed it by itself - I can't recreate it again or don't seem to see it anymore. I am still testing the set and reading every one comments.

To be honest after tweaking the set the pic is awesome.

Thanks for all the help.
post #383 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarti View Post

I received the TV last night - 1st impression just out of the box the picture looks crappy- After following the settings posted on this thread i was able to fix the picture. I got couple of questions for some experts out here -

1. When i run the test pattern - Using grid.jpg - I see some red line on the right and top. What are your opinions on that - Should i call a service to check it out.

2. I was hearing a little click from the left side - randomly. But after running 2 hrs or so i don't hear it anymore. I am still trying to figure out what that could be. Can't recreate it.

3. Running on SD channels at 4:3 - I saw some bleeding on to the black bars - I have seen it like 4 -8 times. But it seems to have fixed it by itself - I can't recreate it again or don't seem to see it anymore. I am still testing the set and reading every one comments.

To be honest after tweaking the set the pic is awesome.

Thanks for all the help.

This ENTIRE THREAD is your friend.

EVERYTHING you have mentioned IS gone over in DETAIL in THIS thread, starting mainly on page ONE thanks to MIKE-PRO.
Look and you shall find!

Jay a.k.a. X

post #384 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 10:12 AM

Hey follow owners.. hopefully its ok to ask this here..

can someone enlighten me on the truth/fiction of 'clean power' ? When I bought my sharp aquos for the bedroom the guy sold us a power bar (the gf bought that tv) what was supposed to 'filter' the power coming in and prevent 'dirty' power ? Is this something I really need to be worried about ?

I welcome your opinions and I'm sure theres a section in the forums for this which I'll go investigate but I was hoping for some direct advice from others who have this tv..

cheers !

sd
post #385 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

can someone enlighten me on the truth/fiction of 'clean power' ? When I bought my sharp aquos for the bedroom the guy sold us a power bar (the gf bought that tv) what was supposed to 'filter' the power coming in and prevent 'dirty' power ? Is this something I really need to be worried about ?

I welcome your opinions and I'm sure theres a section in the forums for this which I'll go investigate but I was hoping for some direct advice from others who have this tv..

cheers !

sd

This is a real "hot button" topic. I quit reading the threads on this topic because they tended to degenerate into OPINIONS and name calling, even when folks tried to inject science. I hope they have gotten better.

In my OPINION, "clean power" is some truth but mostly fiction. Based on my reading, most folks in the US have power distribution systems that are reasonably well controlled and the spikes and dips that occur are not sufficient to warrant an expensive "clean power" system. On the otherhand, some folks have power distribution systems that do suffer from spikes/brown outs to a degree that impact electronic equipment and they can benefit from "clean power" systems. (Then the debate starts as to what type of equipment is actually needed!) How do you know? The most practical advice I read was to "watch the lights in the house." If you notice actual dimming or brighting of the lights then you (and your equipment) might benefit from a power conditioning system. One reason why it was said that power variation that is not detected in your lighting is not a concern is that the first thing that happens to the power as it enters the set is that it is converted. The modern conversion units/processes take care of the typical problems found in a reasonably controlled power distribution system. FWIW.

EDIT: BTW, even when posters could not agree as to whether power conditioning was needed, they did agree that if you do have a problem that requires power conditioning, those ubiquitous power strips (even those by Monster) will not fix the problem.

don...

post #386 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

cheers !

sd

Unless you live in a area that has lighting the "POWER BAR" won't do you much good. If you are going to do anything get a "POWER CONDITIONER" such as those made by APC. These units give you the spike protection of the power bar as well as voltage regulation (if too high they lower it or the opposite if too low). Check the power requirements of all AV equipment and buy one large enough to handle the total load. My previous TV a Toshiba RPDLP I never had a lamp fail (and a lot of people did), changed after 8000 hours due to dimming. I have no proof the conditioner caused this but it sure didn't hurt. You might pick one up on ebay. If you want to go all out they are available with battery back up that gives you computer protection, I have one of each and it has saved my butt on the computer.
post #387 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-X View Post

I am on manualuniverse right now and was about to pull the trigger on ordering the service manual via PDF, and thought if anyone else is interested, maybe a few of us can just share the 19 dollar cost at a few bucks a piece and just email or post the pdf?
anyone interested? reply or PM me i guess.

Anyone, anyone.... bueller... bueller.. anyone...
service manual pool.. anyone?

two on board so far, myself included, a 3rd person would make it about 6.50 a pop,
a 4th would make it about 4.75 each.

let me know ppl

Jay a.k.a. X

post #388 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I just got the 67" and no geo issues and there is no overscan I can see. The picture after tweaking is very good, I was actually pretty surprised.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #389 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 03:55 PM

oops.. I meant Thanks Donb and Rahull

Sounds like what I thought... seems there is a debate and if I did have an 'issue' the power bar does nothing and you'd have to get one of those power conditioners (unless I'm mistaken even off ebay a few hundred bucks).

I just moved into a new condominium so I'm gonna hope that the electrical system is fine/reliable and I'm hoping not to get hit by lightning (though interestingly enough my brothers house WAS hit by lightning about 30 days after moving in)

I think don's Edit: said it all.. My tv was a pretty big 'splurge' for me and unless I find out there is some problem I'll just go with a reliable surge protector and nor worry about the 'cleanliness' of my power..

thanks guys !
post #390 of 15746 Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-X View Post

wow, thats pretty sick man. they must have JUST gotten it in. I got mine on memorial day about 12 days ago, and mine was vers 1004.x and was manufactured 4/27/08.
new or not though, its the QC at the factory that decides the issues at hands if any exist. my only complaint is the flimsy frame which has resulted in the infamous geometry issue. But its soon to be dealt with. the PQ is great tho IMO.

What do you mean by "soon to be dealt with" ?
Will they be improving the frame ?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page