2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4591 of 15706 Old 12-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have spoken with two online dealers, OneCall and Crutchfield. Both have no 750's in stock and OneCall told me they were not going to get any more in stock. Crutchfield was not sure.

Does anyone know if Samsung is introducing a new or replacement for the 750 at the upcomiong January CES in Las Vegas? If so, it might be prudent for me to wait and see what happens. Worst case, they discontinue and I miss out on a good set, or, they introduce a replacement and I get that one.

I have been watching pricing on this set for over a month and they are up and down, with online dealers selling out.

I am new to this forum and find it to be very informative. Thanks for any pertinent info anyone might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 15706 Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 PM

^ Crutchfields website states they should recieve some by 12-19. thats what I'm waiting for, I hope they come.
post #4593 of 15706 Old 12-04-2008, 08:40 PM

I have had my HL67A750 for 2 weeks now and really enjoy it and have had no issues. It is currently sitting on a glass coffee table and a home made platform made of 2x4's and covered with black fabric to raise the infrared above my centre channel.
LL
post #4594 of 15706 Old 12-04-2008, 09:01 PM

I finally did it!!! I bought the Sammy 67" 750 from BB. I added a Yamaha surround and a PS3. What a monster of a home theater. It's everything and 10 times more than I expected. The stores just don't display this set with any justice. I didn't make any adjustments because everything looked great. CC may have them in stock because of the store closings and consolidation of stock. Anyone on the fence need to jump now and start enjoying. This set looks as good as any Plasma or LCD out there.
post #4595 of 15706 Old 12-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radman58 View Post

I have spoken with two online dealers, OneCall and Crutchfield. Both have no 750's in stock and OneCall told me they were not going to get any more in stock. Crutchfield was not sure.

Does anyone know if Samsung is introducing a new or replacement for the 750 at the upcomiong January CES in Las Vegas? If so, it might be prudent for me to wait and see what happens. Worst case, they discontinue and I miss out on a good set, or, they introduce a replacement and I get that one.

I have been watching pricing on this set for over a month and they are up and down, with online dealers selling out.

I am new to this forum and find it to be very informative. Thanks for any pertinent info anyone might have.

I recently took delivery of the Samsung HL61A750 from Vann's. $1,500 delivered. A few
days after they were out-of-stock. They now show back in-stock. I'm more than happy with this set. Also, I've begun using the "GetGray" callibration disk with this set and am pleased with the results.
post #4596 of 15706 Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal1115 View Post

My Toshiba 62MX195 is dead I really loved it! Anyhow, I am now looking at the HL67A750... Bottom line, are you happy with yours? Would you buy again? If not, which would you buy? My budget is a maximum of $3,000.

Also, who's the best online retailer to purchase this set from? What about the stand?

Yes and Yes.

You should find it for under $2K

Dave

post #4597 of 15706 Old 12-04-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campilobaxter View Post

My wife has imposed an interesting condition on my new tv purchase. She has basically demanded that I buy the HL61A750 (which I'm happy to do), but she has also insisted that we position it on a media stand at least 36" to 40" off the ground to prevent our kids from messing with the tv.

I'm concerned about the viewing angle that might result from putting the tv this high. If I had my way, it would be no more than about 24" off the ground. The room the tv will go in is fairly large, approximately 15 x 20, and our sofa is situated about 15 feet from the tv (room runs length wise). Does anyone else have a set up similar to this, and if so, does it adversely affect the viewing angle?

I have my 67" on a 30" high built in bookshelf and the picture is fantastic.
post #4598 of 15706 Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy341 View Post

I am planning to put my 61A750 on a 30" high table because when my wife is fully reclined in her zero-gravity chair, her legs block her from seeing anything lower than 32" off the floor. I think I will have to tilt the TV forward so her line of sight is 90 degrees with the TV because her eyes will be at 33" above the floor. I'm hoping this will work, but if I had known about the vertical off-angle viewing situation before I bought this TV, I probably would have bought a plasma instead.

I have mine on a 30" bookshelf. You shouldn't have a problem
post #4599 of 15706 Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyGee View Post

Just an FYI. My set was delivered by Amazon/Ceva/White-Glove. They set the box down upright, and then cut around the bottom of the box with a cutter, then lifted the box off so that only the bottom and styrofoam remainded. Mickey

There is no need to cut around the bottom of the box. Just remove the 4 plastic tabs holding the top part of the box to the bottom and lift the top part off. The box is designed that way.
post #4600 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

I recently took delivery of the Samsung HL61A750 from Vann's. $1,500 delivered. A few
days after they were out-of-stock. They now show back in-stock. I'm more than happy with this set. Also, I've begun using the "GetGray" callibration disk with this set and am pleased with the results.

where can i get these calibration discs i hear people talk about? do they work good?
post #4601 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Before you get any of these disks, you should understand that the disk in and of themselves do not do anything but provide patterns. The end results depend on the knowledge and skill of the user along with the controls available in the display. With that in mind, all of the disks work well in their latest incarnations. I personnally prefer GetGray.

GetGray: The easiest to navigate and use is Donation Ware. It contains all of the essential calibration patterns and a few test patterns. It does not contain as many performance test patterns found on the commercial disks.

DVE and AVIA are commercial disks available in many flavors (SD, HD, etc.)that contain many test and calibration patterns along with tutorials. Both are very complex to use compared to GetGray with DVE notoriously so. Try Google and Amazon for availability.

Tom Huffman in his Basic Guide to Calibration Using a CMS provdes a link (about 2/3'rds the way thru the first post) to a set of files that you can use to burn your own calibration dvd. All of the basic calibration patterns are provided. The files are free.

If you have a HD-DVD or BluRay, you probably should check out the free AVD-HD 709 downloads for burning your own HD calibration disk..

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #4602 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As a long-time lurker, I want to thank mike_pro for his dedication in starting and maintaining this thread.

I finally pulled the trigger and bought my set from a local CC on Sunday.

Out of the box, the picture was fantastic. I won't pretend to be as discriminating a viewer as many of you on this forum. But I think I'm more picky than the average consumer.

Two days after buying the set, I had to go on a business trip. So, my experience with the set has been very limited. When I return home today, I'll be scrutinizing the set for defects. I'll also make sure my firmware is updated and I may try tweaking the settings per mike_pro's recommendations.

Again, this thread has been very valuable and I wish to thank many of you for your contributions; I have learned a lot and I hope our sets live up to our expectations.
post #4603 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
On the 61" 750 are there any functional or performance differences between using HDMI In 1 versus HDMI In 2?
I have a cable box, blu-ray player, and a DVD player and all are HDMI, but my AVR has only two HDMI In ports. My plan is to connect the cable box direct to the TV for video, and the DVD and Blu-Ray players to the AVR. So, does it matter which HDMI input ports I use on the 61" 750? My read of the manual is that there is no difference between ports 1 and 2, but I don't know if that's the reality.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #4604 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der View Post

There is no need to cut around the bottom of the box. Just remove the 4 plastic tabs holding the top part of the box to the bottom and lift the top part off. The box is designed that way.

Thanks for that tip. I hoping to see Vanns delivery of my new 61A750 this Monday. As it's curbside, I have the responsible of unpacking and didn't want to destory the box by cutting just in case I had to return because of hidden damage.

Rick Steverson

Surely you didn't make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about?!!
post #4605 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinchX View Post

Sir_Q,

That may be a possibility... did your problem look pretty much like mine?

Where is this lens, and how do I get to it? If it was just a simple matter of cleaning something to fix the problem, that would make me very happy!

ChinchX, I think you and I might have the same problem. I have two cantaloupe size blotches/smudges/whatever that overlap each other vertically, with the bottom one being more prominent than the other. They can be seen in a complete dark room or with the lights one and are only viewable during dark scenes such as:

1) when the screen goes black between transitional scenes (see Hancock Blu-Ray trailer)

2) viewing the PS3 cross media bar when the background is black

3) viewing 2:35:1 material with black bars present (it just so happens the blotches are near the lower right side)

4) having a source on the TV selected, without that source being turned on (black background)

Just got the TV this week, so I'm disappointed. Will more than likely contact Samsung today to have someone come look at the set. Let us know of your progress, ChinchX.
post #4606 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoke View Post

ChinchX, I think you and I might have the same problem. I have two cantaloupe size blotches/smudges/whatever that overlap each other vertically, with the bottom one being more prominent than the other. They can be seen in a complete dark room or with the lights one and are only viewable during dark scenes such as:

1) when the screen goes black between transitional scenes (see Hancock Blu-Ray trailer)

2) viewing the PS3 cross media bar when the background is black

3) viewing 2:35:1 material with black bars present (it just so happens the blotches are near the lower right side)

4) having a source on the TV selected, without that source being turned on (black background)

Just got the TV this week, so I'm disappointed. Will more than likely contact Samsung today to have someone come look at the set. Let us know of your progress, ChinchX.

yes, sounds very much like the problem I am having. you can't see it during normal viewing, but any time the screen goes dark or displays a dark hue (i also have PS3 and can see it on the XMB screen). basically any time the screen fades to black or is a very dark color.

to me, cranking the brightness can help "mask" it... but then my blacks look like greys.. i don't want to have to sacrifice picture quality for less artifact.

i just got my TV in on wednesday... and i'm not sure who to contact.. circuit city, or samsung about this. i think i'm going to call circuit city first, and see what they say, seeing as though i literally just got it.

i will keep you updated on what I am able to find, and please, vice-versa.. i would like to know what progress you have made with the issue or any extra info you get!
post #4607 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

Before you get any of these disks, you should understand that the disk in and of themselves do not do anything but provide patterns. The end results depend on the knowledge and skill of the user along with the controls available in the display. With that in mind, all of the disks work well in their latest incarnations. I personnally prefer GetGray.

GetGray: The easiest to navigate and use is Donation Ware. It contains all of the essential calibration patterns and a few test patterns. It does not contain as many performance test patterns found on the commercial disks.

DVE and AVIA are commercial disks available in many flavors (SD, HD, etc.)that contain many test and calibration patterns along with tutorials. Both are very complex to use compared to GetGray with DVE notoriously so. Try Google and Amazon for availability.

Tom Huffman in his Basic Guide to Calibration Using a CMS provdes a link (about 2/3'rds the way thru the first post) to a set of files that you can use to burn your own calibration dvd. All of the basic calibration patterns are provided. The files are free.

If you have a HD-DVD or BluRay, you probably should check out the free AVD-HD 709 downloads for burning your own HD calibration disk..

GetGray says this: "This calibration disc designed specifically for fixed pixel devices (NOT CRT's)." Our displays aren't really fixed pixel, are they? I know it's digital and not CRTs, but not fixed pixel.
post #4608 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

They are fixed pixel.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #4609 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got my HL61A750 last night. It has firmware 1006.1

Just a few hours after having it turned on I experienced the auto-shutdown bug. I thought this version of the software was supposed to fix that? So far it has only happened once but I've only had the TV for 24 hours. Should I call Samsung or should I wait for a firmware update (possibley 1007)?

Other than that, the PQ is amazing. Very bright and clear. Is there any way to fix the geometry of the picture? When I bring up the crosshatch pattern there is definite bending from the top of the screen to the bottom.

Thanks.

Chris Blount
post #4610 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

They are fixed pixel.

I stand corrected. So, only use GetGray for SD? if you want to calibrate bluray on the 750, you need to use AVSHD 709 in a bluray player with this TV?
post #4611 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 11:55 AM

I got mine a last week and absolutely love this TV. It looks great with Xbox360 through HDMI for Gears of War.

Helpful hint: Don't watch Dirty Jobs in HD.
post #4612 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 12:01 PM

Rick, you might be surprised as I was this morning when the delivery guys showed up with my 61A750. I had been told by the seller that they would only deliver it to my doorstep, but they actually brought it inside (it was 23 degrees when they arrived) cut the plastic banding, pulled the plastic clips out, took the top of the box off and offered to place it on my stand. They said normally they would plug it in and turn it on but since the TV was so cold they said I should wait 2-4 hours before I did that. I have it on a 30" high sofa table and the PQ doesn't appear to change when I sit down in my glider that's about 12' away so it's not necessary to tilt it forward as I thought I might have to. BTW, the literature that came with my TV says for HD viewing you should be 4 times the length of the screen away from the TV. That would put you about 17' from the TV if I've figured correctly. That's nearly twice as far as I've seen stated elsewhere. Does anyone know how viewing distance is figured?
post #4613 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

I got my HL61A750 last night. It has firmware 1006.1

Just a few hours after having it turned on I experienced the auto-shutdown bug. I thought this version of the software was supposed to fix that? So far it has only happened once but I've only had the TV for 24 hours. Should I call Samsung or should I wait for a firmware update (possibley 1007)?

Other than that, the PQ is amazing. Very bright and clear. Is there any way to fix the geometry of the picture? When I bring up the crosshatch pattern there is definite bending from the top of the screen to the bottom.

Thanks.

not really..the grid is pretty ugly w/ those vertical lines isn't it....mine does the same thing, i only notice when i'm viewing 4:3 sd content so i live with it
wouldn't even know it if everything was in 16:9 format...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #4614 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelet View Post

I got mine a last week and absolutely love this TV. [/IMG]

I expect my tv today or tomorow, waiting for the delivery guy to call... If you don't mind asking, where did you get your stand from? I've been looking around and I really like the one your TV is on. Thanks in advance!
post #4615 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 02:31 PM

What does the white balance feature do exactly? When changing it, the screen appears to cycle through a few colors (almost like the color temp or hues change a few times within the span of a second) and then it returns to the same way it was before. There doesn't seem to be any noticable differences between the various levels, unless they are so miniscule that I can't see them.
post #4616 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 03:44 PM

I'm ready to pull the trigger. Just can't decide where to order from, Vann's, CC, or Amazon. They are all around the same price, I'm just concerned about who is going to bring it into my house safely without damaging it from hearing all these horror stories. Any thoughts?

Thx
post #4617 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post

I expect my tv today or tomorow, waiting for the delivery guy to call... If you don't mind asking, where did you get your stand from? I've been looking around and I really like the one your TV is on. Thanks in advance!

Hey, I got it at a local furniture store (Nebraska Furniture Mart in KC). I only paid $475 (sorry, I know I'm breaking the rules but I don't want you to overpay).

This is the model in case you want to find it where you are:
http://www.homefurnituremart.com/entvcoas44.html
post #4618 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditt101 View Post

Is anyone using the edge enhancement feature on this 61/67A750. I know it's better if I don't, but I find that the image is so much sharper, however I notice that if creates some ringing or flashing when there's alot of detail on screen..
Is there a way to get a sharper picture without the EE feature? I feel that the sharpness feature doesn't do all that much.
Suggestions anyone?

I use Edge Enhancement and 10 Sharpness. I find this to be much better than no EE and 20 Sharp. I haven't seen ringing or flashing. Most of my viewing is SD-DVD.

Why is it "better if I don't"?
post #4619 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
For those in the know: I just recently changed the input for my media PC from the HDMI>DVI one to the PC (vga) one, in order to free up that HDMI port. The picture seems a little bit crisper and there is a little less overscan, so that's OK. But should I leave the color space to sRGB, or would Wide or Normal be more appropriate?
post #4620 of 15706 Old 12-05-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post

I'm ready to pull the trigger. Just can't decide where to order from, Vann's, CC, or Amazon. They are all around the same price, I'm just concerned about who is going to bring it into my house safely without damaging it from hearing all these horror stories. Any thoughts?

Thx

Not the same now on the 67! Check out Vann's price now. Just went down 30 minutes ago after I just order the HL67A750 from Abe's. Oh well you must be decisive or you will never buy anything or enjoy life!

Samsung HL67A750 RPTV, TWO 2013 Hoppers w/Sling, OTA Digital Dongle, My Book Essential 750Gb EXTERNAL hard drive, ONKYO HT-S9100 THX speakers & ONKYO TX-NR616 A/V receiver, ONKYO DV-BD606 Blu-Ray Disc Player, Harmony ONE Remote, GOOGLE TV, w 4 other TV's (LCD & LED).
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page