2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 172 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5131 of 15746 Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in the wrong thread:

Just ordered one (61") from Amazon (what's with this 'Big River' business anyway??) for $1439 including shipping, tax, this weekend. There were a few places a little cheaper, but I trust Amazon.

I'm upgrading from a Sony Grand Wega KDF50E2000 that's about 2 years old--should i expect to see a dramatic improvement in picture quality? I'm preparing myself to not see much difference other than more real estate, but it would be nice if this thing would just pop out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 03:21 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigan4 View Post

I'm upgrading from a Sony Grand Wega KDF50E2000 that's about 2 years old--should i expect to see a dramatic improvement in picture quality? I'm preparing myself to not see much difference other than more real estate, but it would be nice if this thing would just pop out!

Major improvement in black levels.

Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Samsung HL61A750 HDTV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii

My movie room:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5133 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist1 View Post

I just noticed also on the left edge from top to bottom , about 1/4 inch wide line on the screen, any ideas on the fix for that?

I've had my 67" since Aug and just started to notice exactly what you described. I put up my Christmas tree and the lights reflect on the screen.

During dark scenes or when the tv is off the screen looks smeared and worse there seems to be creases in it, almost like creases in wrapping paper.

Turn the TV on and you can't notice it at all. Not sure what to do about it since it disappears when on.

It is annoying to look at though!
post #5134 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfact0r82 View Post

Well thanks to all who contribute here i decided to purchase the hl61a750, and I am very happy with it, I am just having one issue.
1st everything runs to my receiver via hdmi, and everything comes out via 1 hdmi to the tv. Receiver is a denon 2809ci.

everything connected works great except my pc, the edges are being cut off. top bottom and sides.

HTPC is an intel dg45id it is outputting via hdmi to receiver, running vista ultimate, 4gb memory, i have the resolution set 1920x1080.

other question is and this might not be the right place to ask but its worth a shot, if i set the htpc resolution to 720 intstead of 1080 will my blu-ray/hd-dvd drive still display in 1080p or will it only do what the monitor resolution is set to. I am using power dvd 8 to watch blu-ray.
Any help is greatly appreciated

I also have a Denon 2809CI that is connected from the monitor out HDMI on the Denon to the HDMI IN #1 on the HL61A750. With the TV "OFF" turn on the Denon and select the TUNER Input. Does your radio audio cycle at ~2-3 seconds audio, ~3-4 seconds NO audio. This will go on forever. Now if you turn the TV "ON"the audo is rock solid and there is NO audio cycling. As a matter of fact you can turn the TV "OFF"(with the radio still playing) and the audio is still rock solid. I've had three different 2909CI's and Samsung relpaced the TV and this is still a problem. However, I did use a 2808CI and the problem went away. Notice this only happens when the Denon HDMI Monitor out is connected to the #1 HDMI input on the TV. If you move the HDMI cable to HDMI #2 or #3 on the TV there is no problem. I would be interested to know if your set up experiences the same problem, or if anyone else has the same Denon receiver/TV combo has this problem
post #5135 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvscmd View Post

I had a horrible experience with CEVA. My Amazon bought HL61A750 shipped from a warehouse 30 miles from my house to a CEVA facility 35 miles away. CEVA called to schedule delivery and it was set up for the next day between 10 & 2. At 1:30 on delivery day the truck driver called and leaves a message that he can't find the TV on the truck. The message continues to say that he will deliver it the next day at the same time. Next day no TV, no call, no nothing. I call Amazon in a fit of rage and cancel the order. Two days later CEVA calls, from a different facility 20 miles away, to schedule delivery. Having recovered somewhat, I agree to accept the TV - again between 10 & 2. You would think after the preceeding fiasco that CEVA would try to get me the TV when they said they would, maybe even towards the beginning of the delivery period. But no, they show up at 3:30 after one of my children, for whom the TV is a Christmas present, is home. Thanks, CEVA. That's my rant. YMMV.

You got this tv for a kid? Man, can you be one of my parents?

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #5136 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicvoid View Post

You can get codes in pronto hex format here:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...ete&br=samsung
You can use codes from earlier series, as they don't change for the common commands. If you need a specific discrete codes, I can give them to you in pronto hex format, as I have my 67a750 controlled by a pronto remote.

I used the codes on my Nevo remote and they work great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5137 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM

Right now my center speaker rests on the top of my tv and that's worked fine. But with the thin bezel and all this talk about how 'flimsy' the screen and orientation are, is it possible--or a very bad idea--to put the center speaker on top of the TV?
post #5138 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Wigan, believe it or not, I jimmied up this little thing that allows me to put a rather sizeable center speaker on top of my TV. Only the front edge of the speaker rests on my TV's frame, however. The bulk of the weight is on the contraption I built to hold the speaker.
post #5139 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 09:55 AM

I've seen commercial versions of what you're talking about--basically a shelf with longer back legs you can screw down to wherever the back is sloping.

So you don't worry, or don't see the effect, of that weight up there affecting the picture, screen, geometry, etc? I guess the key is most of the weight is really on the back, not the top of the bezel.
post #5140 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

I looked around for such a shelf or stand but couldn't find one, so I got a piece of flexible aluminum from Home Depot, made it into an "L" shape where the front part rests on the rear edge of the beveled top screen. The longer part extends down to the TV's sloping back side, and I folded in about 1 1/2" of it as a diagonal flap, attached some industrial strength velcro (the key here, because regular velcro wouldn't hold) to that part to stick it to the TV's back side.

On the top part my speaker rest. My speaker is 8" deep, and only about an inch of it actually rests on the TV, and not the black part of the screen but the beveled rear edge, thereby putting hardly ANY weight on the TV and none on the black frame itself.
post #5141 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydKw View Post

Hey guys! I am not sure if this is right form to ask this in, so I hope I dont get flamed. But, as I posted above I ordered the HL61A750 yesterday, and it shipped today. It has a delivery estimate of January 5th, from CEVA. I was wondering how accurate are their estimates. Its coming from PA and I am in FL, Two weeks seems like eternity From some of the post I read it seems like they deliver on weekends and holidays too? I was wondering what the turn around ended up being for some others on here compared to their estimates? How exactly does it work? Do they pack the truck with a bunch of stuff, and work their way around the country? Or does CEVA deliver to another 3rd party? For some reason it says the destination is Miami. Im in the Keys so I will be the last, for sure.

CEVA delivered mine 3 business days (5 actual days) earlier then the estimate. Part of the shipment was air freight because mine came into BWI airport. I know this from checking the package tracking link. The delivery guys looked a little shady, but the one guy seemed to be in charge and was pleasant enough. The other guy "no espeaka inglish". Over all satisfied.
post #5142 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 05:57 PM

I know this is a known issue but just wanted to ask for a particular movie. I was watching The Dark Knight on LBu Ray tonight and noticed an unusually large amount of light in the black bar on top. Has anybody else noticed that this movie in particular has alot of light that bleeds into the top bar. I noticed it aoubt 2/3 into the movie. If I dont look directly at it i dont really notice it. But when looking at it, it happens a ton. Thanks in advance for any input you all can give. Sammy 67a750 model.
post #5143 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 09:15 PM

Hey guys... after a few weeks of research, numerous visits to stores and viewing a friend's 61A750, I've decided the HL67A750 should be my next HDTV.

But with CES coming up so soon, at this point I'm wondering if I should wait... just to make sure Samsung isn't going to be releasing anything new or better. What do you think?

post #5144 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Won't hurt to wait, even with rumours Samsung is discontinuing all DLPs.

If they don't announce new models, hurry up and get one while you still can.

These sets are the deal of the century.

Dave

post #5145 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Wouldn't DREAM of buying before CES at this point, unless you can get a steal of a deal. Perhaps a 67A750 for $1600 or so.
post #5146 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Hey guys... after a few weeks of research, numerous visits to stores and viewing a friend's 61A750, I've decided the HL67A750 should be my next HDTV.

But with CES coming up so soon, at this point I'm wondering if I should wait... just to make sure Samsung isn't going to be releasing anything new or better. What do you think?

Even if Samsung does introduce new DLPs at CES, they typically don't ship them until later in spring or summer, and they'll be going at MSRP for a while. With consumer electronics, the next best thing is always right around the corner. I've learned to just get what I want when I want it and be happy. My HL67A750 arrived last Friday and I'm very pleased with it.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #5147 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Even if Samsung does introduce new DLPs at CES, they typically don't ship them until later in spring or summer, and they'll be going at MSRP for a while. With consumer electronics, the next best thing is always right around the corner. I've learned to just get what I want when I want it and be happy. My HL67A750 arrived last Friday and I'm very pleased with it.

All true, but if they come out with a 72" with DC4, I'm selling my 67".

Dave

post #5148 of 15746 Old 12-24-2008, 11:12 PM

Looking for some general input from all the helpful people on these message boards. Here's my story so far.

I've been using a Samsung HL-S4266 for close to 3 years now. I've been thinking about upgrading for a few months. I was all set on getting a LN52A650 but then I started to notice how amazingly cheap DLPs were these days. When I saw that I could get a 67" LED DLP for basically the same price as a 52" LCD i started to reconsider.

Now i'm definitely leaning toward sticking with DLP except for one thing that's holding me back. I just finished watching Hancock on blu ray on my older 42" DLP and boy do I have a headache. I've gotten headaches from my DLP ever since I got it, although i never really made the connection until recently. Also, it doesn't happen every time, but if i think about it it's probably more common when i watch a movie in the dark.

I also happend to get a new job sitting in front of a computer monitor all day about the same time i bought my TV. So i kind of attributed it to that since I got the headaches at work as well.

It's probably the combination of the two. My eyes gets bombarded at work and then I go home and watch TV and they are just completely fatigued. I think the DLP is harder on my eyes than the LCDs at work.

Sorry for the long winded post. What i'm trying to ask is are these newer Sammy LED DLPs any easier on the eyes? I should also point out that I have never noticed the rainbow effect. Either I can't see it at all or I wouldn't even know it if i did. Any input is appreciated.
post #5149 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 03:54 AM

Excellent Thread and Thank you StephenZ for posting your settings, the picture looks amazing!!! Im trying to purchase some HDMI cables to hook up my HD-Directv and Ps3 and it seems to me like that are a million differnt types out there. Whats the real scoop on this??? Thanks guys/gals...
post #5150 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 04:02 AM

Weezer - just head over to monoprice and any HDMI cable they sell will work great.

post #5151 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

You got this tv for a kid? Man, can you be one of my parents?

Hey, me too! I'm available for adoption, and I'm housebroken....
post #5152 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer218 View Post

Excellent Thread and Thank you StephenZ for posting your settings, the picture looks amazing!!! Im trying to purchase some HDMI cables to hook up my HD-Directv and Ps3 and it seems to me like that are a million differnt types out there. Whats the real scoop on this??? Thanks guys/gals...

you can check with your cable company, if you have cable...they have provided me with 6 hdmi cables...i have these and $200 audioquest ones and you cant see any noticeable difference
post #5153 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelesking View Post

Looking for some general input from all the helpful people on these message boards. Here's my story so far.

I've been using a Samsung HL-S4266 for close to 3 years now. I've been thinking about upgrading for a few months. I was all set on getting a LN52A650 but then I started to notice how amazingly cheap DLPs were these days. When I saw that I could get a 67" LED DLP for basically the same price as a 52" LCD i started to reconsider.

Now i'm definitely leaning toward sticking with DLP except for one thing that's holding me back. I just finished watching Hancock on blu ray on my older 42" DLP and boy do I have a headache. I've gotten headaches from my DLP ever since I got it, although i never really made the connection until recently. Also, it doesn't happen every time, but if i think about it it's probably more common when i watch a movie in the dark.

I also happend to get a new job sitting in front of a computer monitor all day about the same time i bought my TV. So i kind of attributed it to that since I got the headaches at work as well.

It's probably the combination of the two. My eyes gets bombarded at work and then I go home and watch TV and they are just completely fatigued. I think the DLP is harder on my eyes than the LCDs at work.

Sorry for the long winded post. What i'm trying to ask is are these newer Sammy LED DLPs any easier on the eyes? I should also point out that I have never noticed the rainbow effect. Either I can't see it at all or I wouldn't even know it if i did. Any input is appreciated.

Try changing you office LCD to the fastest screen refresh it can go. Slow refresh rates can give you a headache. Usually 60hz or higher are ok. The 67 or 61 Sammy has a 60hz refresh rate although they advertise 120 but that would be for 3D. Check your old DLP for the refresh rate. I would also think the leds would give a smoother transition than the color wheel.
post #5154 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyde View Post

Try changing you office LCD to the fastest screen refresh it can go. Slow refresh rates can give you a headache. Usually 60hz or higher are ok. The 67 or 61 Sammy has a 60hz refresh rate although they advertise 120 but that would be for 3D. Check your old DLP for the refresh rate. I would also think the leds would give a smoother transition than the color wheel.

My office LCD no longer bothers me much at all. I've since changed monitors a few times and I also use a privacy screen that helps reduce brightness. I'm pretty sure it's for a 60hz refresh rate. From what i can gather my current DLP has a 60hz refresh rate as well.

If only places like BB or CC displayed the DLP TVs properly so I could maybe sit down and just watch them for a while, see what happens. 67" is so tempting but I don't know if i can or should keep dealing with the headaches.
post #5155 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the HL67A750. As soon as I changed the settings to what's on the first page of this topic, and changed the LED setting to low, this TV is fine for me. I tried the LED at Medium, but bright scenes were too bright for me.

If it still gives you headaches, you can also adjust the contrast until it's comfortable for you.
post #5156 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyde View Post

60hz refresh!!! I dont think so. Real simple just wave your and up and down in front of the screen at night and see if you can see freeze frame of your fingers. I can't so I know for sure I am at 120hz.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #5157 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 06:18 PM

The source information always reads 1920 x 1080i at 60 hz
what does yours read? This has been discussed in this forum.
post #5158 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
hey all...little info for potential buyers...check out bernies.com on the 61 and 67 inch...your welcome
post #5159 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

$1620 for the 67" and $1330 for the 61" isn't that bad. Note that one must be careful on that site, because there are some very similar model numbers that have lower prices. It is easy to look at the wrong one.

Sales are over at Amazon. Both the 61" and 67" models have now increased from $100 to $200 per unit.
post #5160 of 15746 Old 12-25-2008, 08:41 PM

they have a very limited delivery area. Only in the NE
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page