2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #511 of 16557 Old 06-14-2008, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71 View Post

Only one problem: On my Plasma the brightness was bright throughout the whole screen. It seems with this TV, it is only brighest at eye level, when I look at top of screen you can see that it isnt as bright. Not too bad I guess, but you can definately tell. Not sure if there is a fix for this, but other than that, I'm very happy. Still got a few more things to do.

Make sure your screen is exactly perpendicular to your line of sight. I have mine on a slanted surface to accomplish this. It makes a difference for the issue you are seeing. Also using movie mode with the Warm-2 setting helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 16557 Old 06-14-2008, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Joining the fray... new but I've been lurking this particular thread for a month or two now while deliberating over getting this set

And.. it was delivered today. HL67A750. It's ridiculously huge, it almost seems like it's (impossible!) too big, it really dwarfs my two old 42" Westy LVM42W2, in size, features, color.. everything. PS3, X360, Dish HD - it all looks awesome on this set. It's stand is about the width of my last set. It's heavy, but not immovable. And it's absolutely silent, with the receiver muted I cannot tell the thing is actually on. SD content is actually acceptable looking on this set, more so than my old LCD. Blu-ray is incredible, I watched Hellboy all the way through and could not take my eyes off of the amount of additional detail this set seemed to bring to the party - I've had HD-DVD and Blu-Ray for quite some time and this is definitely much brighter, more crisp, and much more detailed than my old 1080p set even over the exact same cabling I used before.

It came with firmware 1006.1, which seems newer than anything else I see available for download. For grins I began the process to install 1005.3 and prompted me if I was sure I wanted to "upgrade" from 1006.1 to 1005.3, so it doesn't seem to verify that you're using something newer than what's already installed... but I did cancel it out for fear I'd cause more problems than I would fix.

So.. the "bad" stuff, although none of it is really a deal-breaker and would make me want to return it:

The set has shut off automatically at least once. While I doubt it was the dog or the cat stepping on the remote, it could have just been a fluke but thought it worth mentioning since I've seen that as a problem some feel is fixed by newer firmwares.

Xbox 360 @ 1080p over component goes bonkers, just like many have reported. Navigating to the display settings might cause a headache when trying to adjust it down, so you might want to just do that before hooking it up to "the Beast", or otherwise connect using VGA or HDMI.

USB support works well, but it doesn't seem to bring much power to the party - when I plugged a WD Passport (laptop drive) in, the set went into a power cycling frenzy which wouldn't stop until I pulled the plug. Once I plugged it back in with the drive still attached it had no complaints, and I was able to browse the pictures and music without any issues at all. I've had this happen twice so I'm guessing it's just meant for flash-based thumb drives and not drives requiring juice for moving parts.

It does seem to lack brightness in some areas, particularly in the corners when you're viewing it dead-on. It's not unbearable, and it could just be that this size set is really pushing the limits of the light engine behind it, it could just take some getting used to coming from experience with only CRT and LCD.

Anyhow, that's my spiel - I just wanted to drop some thoughts on the set since a lot of the posts on this thread are what helped support my desire to plunk down the cash for it. Thanks for being a great resource, and I hope to contribute if possible.
post #513 of 16557 Old 06-14-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutharsch View Post

... USB support works well, but it doesn't seem to bring much power to the party - when I plugged a WD Passport (laptop drive) in, the set went into a power cycling frenzy which wouldn't stop until I pulled the plug. Once I plugged it back in with the drive still attached it had no complaints, and I was able to browse the pictures and music without any issues at all. I've had this happen twice so I'm guessing it's just meant for flash-based thumb drives and not drives requiring juice for moving parts. ...

You definitely don't want to take a chance connecting an unpowered USB external drive to this TV. Most folks aren't aware that the USB standard is for 500 milliamps of power to be supplied to the USB device. Most external USB drives (that laptop users like to use) require at least 650 milliamps of power. This fact has caused thousands of older IBM Thinkpad laptop motherboards to drop from USB 2.0 speeds to USB 1 speeds .... which then forces a motherboard replacement if the owner wants USB 2.0 speeds again. In fact, I won't connect an external USB 2.5" drive to an IBM laptop unless I have a powered USB hub connected between the two. Please, just use USB flash drives. I sure wouldn't want to risk my new LED DLP by expecting it to power a 2.5" hard drive.

post #514 of 16557 Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 PM

Been tweaking and adjusting for some days now and came up with the following settings.

I have all inputs coming in through a single HDMI from my AVR, so these settings are a balance for several types of inputs. HD-DVD and Oppo 980 are both set to display extended color gamut. Also have Dish HD-DVR connected via AVR.

So these settings are for meeting the needs of all the inputs. It's a bit weak in a well lighted room, but is excellent in a darkened room. I went for deep blacks without loss of detail, and max whites without blooming or more loss of detail. The set is clearly capable of deeper blacks and more white, but the tradeoff in PQ is too great for my taste. Color is adjusted for max saturation, again without loss of detail, and the most natural color I could get,

Mode: Movie
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 5
Color: 28
Tint: 50/50
Black adjust: off
Dynamic contrast: off
LED control: Auto
Gamma: 0
White balance: 0
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: off
Color Tone: Warm 2
Digital DNR: off
xvYCC: On (determines the below settings)
Dnle: off - greyed out
HDMI Black: norm - greyed out
Color Gamut: wide - greyed out

DVD's on the Oppo looks amazing with these settings, as do HD-DVD. Dish HD is a tad over-saturated but very watchable on most channels.
post #515 of 16557 Old 06-14-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillNole View Post

Look up CEVA'a number online and give them a call. I did, as I've never given my number to Amazon and knew CEVA would probably fumble the notification. I ordered on a Tuesday, called CEVA on Friday and had the TV setup just after noon on Saturday.

Fantastic service in my book, though I know everyone's experience will differ...

well, i planned on calling CEVA's philly office tomorrow but once again amazon's tracking page is not making any sense. i go to the tracking page and now it's reverted back to just saying the item shipment has been received by the carrier and the location is the origin in hebron, KY.

i mean c'mon, i've been tracking this thing like 20 times a day since tuesday. according the the amazon tracking page it got to philly on thursday, (the time it arrived there changed 3 times) but now it's changed completely to only show that the item is with the carrier. at this point a call to CEVA seems to be in order.

my question is, did anyone else's tracking of their tv from big river seem to be so wacky?
post #516 of 16557 Old 06-14-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashclash View Post

my question is, did anyone else's tracking of their tv from big river seem to be so wacky?

Actually, I didn't really use Amazon's tracking info, I went straight to the CEVA site. http://www.cevalogistics.com/portal/...ls/CEVA%20Trak
post #517 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 AM

smash, my Ceva tracking was a bit wonky as well (just got mine on Friday). It went from scheduled delivery on the 13th to being scheduled delivery on the 14th, back and forth, then there was nothing scheduled for delivery. I talked with the CEVA folks and apparently they have some issues with their software and how it winds up registering for the online tracking through some 3rd party sites. Mine finally arrived at 5:15pm on the 13th and overally I've been amazingly impressed by this TV.

Mine was an upgrade from a 6 1/2 year Sony 57" HD RPTV which was getting fuzzy, had COD 4 burn in and a fair amount of overall screen burn in. I was also ready to start upgrading other things to support HDMI, prep for the next-gen DVD format etc. This TV looked great, had great reviews and was priced fantastically (500 less than the Sony was in 2002).

I have the XBox360 hooked up over component cables doing 1080p and that works perfectly so far. I don't have any of the issues of it blinking on and off as were reported earlier in these threads. I'm not sure what firmware is currently installed on it but I'd guess it's the 1006.1 since it doesn't seem to have the issues that plagued earlier versions.

This morning I fired up the HD-DVD player and watched Constantine (the XBox360 only let it do 1080i since it's component though.). I was just amazed how much better looking the picture was compared to the old sony. After watching that I put in Transformers (standard DVD). Honestly, it looked horrible in comparison to the HD-DVD. Don't get me wrong, it still looked amazingly good, but it really showed me how much better HD-DVD was vs regular DVD. I'm not a fan of Blu-Ray, but the difference between HD-DVD & regular DVD on this set makes me start thinking about picking up a Blu unit in the near future. Absolutely gorgeous picture.

Geometry wise, things look pretty good. The left side seems to be off about 1/16 of an inch, maybe a hair more. Slightly pushing the top left seems to mostly correct it but it certainly isn't anything that I'm really going to notice while watching movies. I'm still fiddling with some of the color settings to make it feel the way I like it, it's close but not quite perfect yet. I'm going to go and get a calibration disk to try to do some more tweaking but overall it's probably about 95% of where I want it.

This set is really great with both the blacks and whites. The whites are fantastically bright. Playing Call of Duty 4 and getting hit by a flash grenade nearly blinds me if I'm playing in the dark. Talk about realism huh! I do need to tone those down though. The whites occasionally seem to wash out the picture on a few of the cable channels, just one or two for some reason. Could have been the content I was watching added some white diffusion that exagerated the affect though.

The only singular problem I had occurred this afternoon though (and hasn't repeated). I switched from the XBox to Cable and the TV stopped displaing a picture and wouldn't respond to the remote either, at least not as far as I could tell. The screen was perfectly black, nothing. I could see it was receiving a signal from the remotes but it just didn't display anything. Tried quite a few things to no avail and then finally unplugged it, waited 30 seconds and pluged it back in. Working just fine now. I am using the Harmony remote so wonder if maybe it sent some kind of funky signal that caused the problem. I tried repeating the same set of steps but was not able to reproduce the issue. I'll be keeping my eye on it for a while though.

I'd say this unit is my favorite AV purchase I've made. Absolutely one that I won't regret. Now I just have to figure out which AV Receiver I want to get in the next few months to compliment it!

--Steve
post #518 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutharsch View Post

USB support works well, but it doesn't seem to bring much power to the party - when I plugged a WD Passport (laptop drive) in, the set went into a power cycling frenzy which wouldn't stop until I pulled the plug. Once I plugged it back in with the drive still attached it had no complaints, and I was able to browse the pictures and music without any issues at all. I've had this happen twice so I'm guessing it's just meant for flash-based thumb drives and not drives requiring juice for moving parts.

My 67" came yesterday and I spent the afternoon/evening getting to know it. Coming from an HLP-5063, I love the expanded user settings. I'll be in tweaking heaven for the next couple of weeks.

I want to put up the grid and check the geometry. I was planning to go to BB and get a USB thumb drive today, but was wondering if I could just transfer the grid.jpg to my Blackberry and hook that up (I know I could just do it and see, but don't want to muck anything up with this thing only a day old).

EDIT: OK, using the Blackberry worked fine (I don't know what I was so hesitant about...). Anyway with the grid up, good news is it's perfectly centered; bad (or not so bad...) is that it's tilted up on the right by 3/16". I can live with that.
post #519 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Been tweaking and adjusting for some days now and came up with the following settings...HD-DVD and Oppo 980 are both set to display extended color gamut...Color is adjusted for max saturation, again without loss of detail, and the most natural color I could get,

Mode: Movie
Color: 28
xvYCC: On (determines the below settings)
Color Gamut: wide - greyed out

If it looks good to you, then that's what matters. But...

Color settings are a realm where more is not better. Content on DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray, and HD (ATSC) broadcasts is limited to the ITU-BT.709/-601 color gamuts, and no more. Maybe someday ATSC or Blu-ray content will support xvYCC, but not today. Players that support it are guessing at what might look good, not accurately conveying content the way it was produced.

I found that with xvYCC Off, and Color set to sRGB, I was able to calibrate my HL61A750 to nearly perfect colors. I suspect what you've extended by selecting On/Wide, you've then had to compensate for by reducing your Color control to only 28 (mine's 48 or 49, IIRC).

It's just a thought, but you might want to reset your chain of equipment closer to reference standard and see how it looks. Then again, you might like it the way it is, and who am I to argue?
post #520 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:

well, i planned on calling CEVA's philly office tomorrow but once again amazon's tracking page is not making any sense. i go to the tracking page and now it's reverted back to just saying the item shipment has been received by the carrier and the location is the origin in hebron, KY.

i mean c'mon, i've been tracking this thing like 20 times a day since tuesday. according the the amazon tracking page it got to philly on thursday, (the time it arrived there changed 3 times) but now it's changed completely to only show that the item is with the carrier. at this point a call to CEVA seems to be in order.

Mine was nearly "wonk-less" throughout, though it did revert a couple of times, as I too kept a pretty close eye on the progress of my order. I also tracked it on CEVA's website though and once they had it in their system, their information was consistent.

I continued to watch Amazon's site out of curiousity and because I wanted to keep an eye on the price (yippee for the 30-day guarantee...), but once CEVA had the item, I felt their's would be the more accurate and up to date information, as they were now the source...

Patience, my young Jedi!
post #521 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Mine was nearly "wonk-less" throughout, though it did revert a couple of times, as I too kept a pretty close eye on the progress of my order. I also tracked it on CEVA's website though and once they had it in their system, their information was consistent.

I continued to watch Amazon's site out of curiousity and because I wanted to keep an eye on the price (yippee for the 30-day guarantee...), but once CEVA had the item, I felt their's would be the more accurate and up to date information, as they were now the source...

Patience, my young Jedi!

Thanks, I just called them and it's still on the overnight voicemail system. Supposedly they are suppose to be open from 8am-3pm on Sunday but nobody answered. I'll try again in an hour.
post #522 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 06:18 AM

Hey, Smash....I had a similar issue with the CEVA tracking. Mine said it arrived in Columbus, Ohio very early in the morning on Weds the 11th (I don't remember the exact time) and then no updates for the rest of the day. The next morning it said it arrived in Columbus, Ohio very early in the morning on Thursday the 12th. I thought that was very strange, indeed....or maybe Amazon was sending me two TV sets! LOL

The next morning (Friday) it said it had arrived in South Bend, Indiana (I live in SW Michigan) and about mid-morning I got a call from CEVA to schedule the delivery (sadly, the earliest they could schedule was for this coming Tuesday....but that is still two days ahead of of the anticipated delivery date so I can't complain). So the tracking of these TVs on the Amazon site does seem to be a bit strange and confusing but my TV did move along the route despite the tracking site's 'weirdness'.

The waiting is almost unbearable, though....I feel like a little kid right before Christmas.
post #523 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post

If it looks good to you, then that's what matters. But...

Color settings are a realm where more is not better. Content on DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray, and HD (ATSC) broadcasts is limited to the ITU-BT.709/-601 color gamuts, and no more. Maybe someday ATSC or Blu-ray content will support xvYCC, but not today. Players that support it are guessing at what might look good, not accurately conveying content the way it was produced.

I found that with xvYCC Off, and Color set to sRGB, I was able to calibrate my HL61A750 to nearly perfect colors. I suspect what you've extended by selecting On/Wide, you've then had to compensate for by reducing your Color control to only 28 (mine's 48 or 49, IIRC).

It's just a thought, but you might want to reset your chain of equipment closer to reference standard and see how it looks. Then again, you might like it the way it is, and who am I to argue?

Been there, done that. These settings produced the deepest blacks for my eyes, and don't seem to effect colors at all. I found the Sammy to be pushing colors severely, especially reds and greens. I have the color lowered regardless of the other settings and find it to be the most realistic. I find a lot more detail in the picture with the whites and colors backed off.

One of the nice things about this set is the ability to try different combinations endlessly.
post #524 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Make sure your screen is exactly perpendicular to your line of sight. I have mine on a slanted surface to accomplish this. It makes a difference for the issue you are seeing. Also using movie mode with the Warm-2 setting helps.

Ya my line of sight is with the bottom of the screen, when I get a chance I will try to lean it forward, just a bit, and see if that helps. Thank you for the tip!

Vizio p702ui-b3 UHDTV | Onkyo TX-NR636 4K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC America Formula F-12 Sub | JBL Studio Speakers 190x2 (F), 180x2(S), 130x2 (RS), 120c (C) | ASROCK Z87 | I7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz | MSI Nvidia GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Windows 10 64bit | PS4 XBox1 WiiU
post #525 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

My 67" came yesterday and I spent the afternoon/evening getting to know it. Coming from an HLP-5063, I love the expanded user settings. I'll be in tweaking heaven for the next couple of weeks.

I want to put up the grid and check the geometry. I was planning to go to BB and get a USB thumb drive today, but was wondering if I could just transfer the grid.jpg to my Blackberry and hook that up (I know I could just do it and see, but don't want to muck anything up with this thing only a day old).

EDIT: OK, using the Blackberry worked fine (I don't know what I was so hesitant about...). Anyway with the grid up, good news is it's perfectly centered; bad (or not so bad...) is that it's tilted up on the right by 3/16". I can live with that.

Same story, I just replaced my HLP5063 with a 67". I put a grid up, and the geometry looks very, very good to me (slight bowing is from the camera). I have a very small tilt, the TV is very close to centered, and I have ~2-3% overscan around the borders, which is fine for use as a computer display.

I feel very lucky so far, and the settings from the front page of the thread give a good picture.
LL
post #526 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71 View Post

Ya my line of sight is with the bottom of the screen, when I get a chance I will try to lean it forward, just a bit, and see if that helps. Thank you for the tip!

Same situation here. Combining the Warm-2 setting with some tilt really reduced the hot streak. About 3/8" lift at the rear of the base at 12' viewing distance did it for me. I lifted the top of my stand though, not the TV base. Didn't want the base to warp on me from being shimmed, over time. Note that the base does have feet underneath, and that's where the weight sits.
post #527 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 04:21 PM

I just bought one of these sets and I love it. I had the first generation 50 inch Samsung dlp, and when something went wrong with it last week, decided to bite the bullet and replace it with this one. My question may be a bit odd, but here it goes: I want to know if there is any way to dim or turn off the blue ring around the "on" button in the front of the set. My eye keeps on wondering down to the blue light. I'm sure I will eventually get used to it, but if there is another solution, short of covering it with a post it note, I would love to know. Thanks in advance.
post #528 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is for an A650. I assume it is the same for the A750. Menu --> External Settings --> Light Effect (Off, Standby or When Watching TV). Off and Standby (edit: oops, typo correction) will turn the light off when viewing.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #529 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Not sure about big river, but I ordered from one call out in Washington state (I'm in Missouri) and it shipped via ABF Freight. It only took about 4 days, and it showed as "in Little Rock" one morning, then was at my local depot later that day, then they called to arrange delivery later that afternoon. Great people to deal with, really, for a freight company anyway. And clean as a whistle, no package dings at all. I've had 3 other displays (for other projects) delivered over the past 2 weeks, and it was the same story with each.

Good luck!
post #530 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmirasol View Post

I just bought one of these sets and I love it. I had the first generation 50 inch Samsung dlp, and when something went wrong with it last week, decided to bite the bullet and replace it with this on. My question may be a bit odd, but here it goes: I want to know if there is any way to dim or turn off the blue ring around the "on" button in the front of the set. My eye keeps on wondering down to the blue light. I'm sure I will eventually get used to it, but if there is another solution, short of covering it with a post it note, I would love to know. Thanks in advance.

This was referenced on page 3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1029686&page=3. There are a variety of setting for having it on when the TV is on, or on when the TV is off, or off all the time. We decided to leave ours at the default of on when the TV is on, for a specific reason. We use our cable box remote only most of the time when we're just watching regular TV and don't need any other peripheries involved. Occasionally, it will not turn off the TV, as it's supposed to, when we press the button for "System Power", or someone half asleep would press the regular Power button that only turns off the cable box. With our old Toshiba DLP, we had cases where the TV would be left on overnight and most of the following day until someone tried to power things up and the cable box would turn on, while the TV turned off... Now, we know when the TV is left on! We turned off the chime though. THAT was annoying late at night!
post #531 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

We decided to leave ours at the default of on when the TV is on, for a specific reason.

Interesting... No big deal, but I'd swear that on my A650 the default is "Always," meaning always on. I wonder if they are different. BTW, I changed mine to "Standby" for essentially the same reason that you mentioned, to know when the set is off (i.e., light is on) but, in my case, not have the annoyance of the light when I'm viewing something.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #532 of 16557 Old 06-15-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

Interesting... No big deal, but I'd swear that on my A650 the default is "Always," meaning always on. I wonder if they are different. BTW, I changed mine to "Standby" for essentially the same reason that you mentioned, to know when the set is off (i.e., light is on) but, in my case, not have the annoyance of the light when I'm viewing something.

Just wanted to say I am one of the few in this forum that reads the manual.. It says if you have that blue light always on, your standby power is greater..
post #533 of 16557 Old 06-16-2008, 05:12 AM

wow, this is hilarious. so i called CEVA all day on Sunday when they were suppose to be in between the hours of 8am-3pm but it went to voicemail everytime. So I just called them (8am) to setup delivery and the woman tells me their computers are down and she has no idea when they will be turned back on. she said my best bet would be to call back after 1pm and ask for Dave. oy vey, watch them be down for a while and I can't get the tv!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #534 of 16557 Old 06-16-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiman26 View Post

Just wanted to say I am one of the few in this forum that reads the manual.. It says if you have that blue light always on, your standby power is greater..

Yea, I considered that also. I'd prefer to have the light off all the time. But, for me, the need for an on/off indicator coupled with the annoyance of having the light on during viewing, out weighed the "green" advantage of having the light off in standby mode. Different strokes...

don...

post #535 of 16557 Old 06-16-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

Yea, I considered that also. I'd prefer to have the light off all the time. But, for me, the need for an on/off indicator coupled with the annoyance of having the light on during viewing, out weighed the "green" advantage of having the light off in standby mode. Different strokes...

The A750's have a red LED that indicates standby mode, so the blue one serves no purpose at all.
post #536 of 16557 Old 06-16-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The A750's have a red LED that indicates standby mode, so the blue one serves no purpose at all.

Yep, so does the A650. But my red LEDs are still covered by that sticker that I will not remove until my 30 days are up. Go figure...

don...

post #537 of 16557 Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:

For me I just leave it off all the time.. I too use the red light to know when the TV is off.. My reasons though have to do with my 2 year old daughter that likes to push big glowing buttons. I have a plastic peice over the button with one of the labels from the TV holding it in place.. I was lucky that the IR sensor is sensitive enough to still recieve IR signals from the remote through it.
post #538 of 16557 Old 06-16-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy666 View Post

I have ~2-3% overscan around the borders, which is fine for use as a computer display.

Using mine as a computer display as well, and the overscan does present a problem, albeit not huge. I discovered, though, that if you set the picture size to "Wide PC" (which leaves a small border on all sides), there is an option to stretch the desktop out so that it can exactly fill the screen with no cutting off of the taskbar, etc.

You might already know about this, but just wanted to bring it up, in case not.
post #539 of 16557 Old 06-16-2008, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy666 View Post

Same story, I just replaced my HLP5063 with a 67". I put a grid up, and the geometry looks very, very good to me (slight bowing is from the camera). I have a very small tilt, the TV is very close to centered, and I have ~2-3% overscan around the borders, which is fine for use as a computer display.

I feel very lucky so far, and the settings from the front page of the thread give a good picture.

I would be ecstatic if mine looked that "on".
Getting to the point now where I gotta figure out what to DO about mine.

Does anyone know if Best buy will Deliver a replacement for free within the 30 day purchase period, even if I carried mine out?
My goal is to test the replacement while they are there, so if its worse for some reason, they can leave with it. If not , they can take the Original one.

post #540 of 16557 Old 06-16-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Probably not. If you had paid them to delivery it the first time then generally they will cover another delivery for an exchange.
Otherwise you might be able talk with the manager and see if they will or not.
Good Luck!

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page