2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally was able to get a hold of CEVA. They will be delivering the tv tomorrow between 12-5. Not exactly a work friendly window but I'll make due. Can't wait, it's like christmas eve tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Using mine as a computer display as well, and the overscan does present a problem, albeit not huge. I discovered, though, that if you set the picture size to "Wide PC" (which leaves a small border on all sides), there is an option to stretch the desktop out so that it can exactly fill the screen with no cutting off of the taskbar, etc.

You might already know about this, but just wanted to bring it up, in case not.

Yeah, thanks. I want to keep it on "just scan" for 1:1 pixel mapping. I suppose I could try to generate a slightly smaller desktop resolution that would get rid of overscan and keep the pixel mapping, but since I use it for gaming (and games generally work fine with a little bit of overscan), and watching movies, I decided not to go through the hassle.

So far I've tried Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Lego Indiana Jones...

Gaming nirvana!
post #543 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Using mine as a computer display as well, and the overscan does present a problem, albeit not huge. I discovered, though, that if you set the picture size to "Wide PC" (which leaves a small border on all sides), there is an option to stretch the desktop out so that it can exactly fill the screen with no cutting off of the taskbar, etc.

I would like to do this if I buy the 750. Can you clarify whether the "Wide PC" setting is on a Samsung menu or on your computer? I intend to hook up a Mac and if this is a computer setting maybe it is PC specific.

Thanks.
post #544 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdd View Post

I would like to do this if I buy the 750. Can you clarify whether the "Wide PC" setting is on a Samsung menu or on your computer? I intend to hook up a Mac and if this is a computer setting maybe it is PC specific.

Thanks.

samsung menu
post #545 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 11:43 AM

Great! Thank you very much.
post #546 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 PM

For starters, THANKS A TON for such a great thread. I just got this TV this weekend and so far love it. I can't wait to get home from work and try out some of the calibrations and such.

I just have a few questions if anyone can answer.

1 - Does anyone by chance have an Xorg.conf for this TV? And do you recommend I go from DVI to the HDMI/DVI port or should I look into getting an HDMI Video card. I run MythTV and would like the best quality I can get.

2 - Currently I have an Xbox360 with HDMI, PS3, and the MythTV PC, all I assume best suited via HDMI. But I am about to upgrade my DirecTV Reciever to HD. So I assume I will want to hook that up via HDMI as well. I currently do not have a surround receiver, that is the next question! So basically do you lose quality hooking HDMI devices to a switchbox? Like the PS3/XBox360? I of course want the 24Hz on the PS3, so didn't know.

3 - I want a decent but by no means top of the line Audio Receiver. I heard mention of that Onkyo TX-SR606, it has 4 HDMI inputs into it. That would suit my needs as far as I can tell. What does everyone think about it or recommend for something similar that is good quality but not extreme.

Thanks for the read and all tips! Looking forward to some replies.
post #547 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 12:58 PM

cflynt:

1 - Dvi to HDMI works fine

2 - I had to order a new hdmi switch box since my old one dont work, I believe it is non 1.3 compliant, but as long as the switcher supports 1.3a or higher you should be fine, but I cannot confirm that.

3 - I have an older Pioneer receiver that doesnt even have hdmi and it sounds great on all sources. 1000watts 7.1 surround. I use digital optical to the receiver and the all my sources are hdmi.

Hope that helps.

Mitsubishi WD-73640 3D DLP HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1121-K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC America Formula F-12 Sub | JBL Studio 190x2 , 180x2, 130x2 (Rear Surrounds), 120c Speakers | Intel DX58SO | I7 975 @ 3.3Ghz | Windows 8.1 64bit
post #548 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71 View Post

cflynt:

1 - Dvi to HDMI works fine

2 - I had to order a new hdmi switch box since my old one dont work, I believe it is non 1.3 compliant, but as long as the switcher supports 1.3a or higher you should be fine, but I cannot confirm that.

3 - I have an older Pioneer receiver that doesnt even have hdmi and it sounds great on all sources. 1000watts 7.1 surround. I use digital optical to the receiver and the all my sources are hdmi.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply, if anyone has it, would still love their recommendations on an xorg.conf file. Maybe the EDID info is all I need, just seems like some stuff in HD could be clearer. But maybe after making the tweaks form the FAQ things will improve.

I want surround, we had one with the old TV but it got hit by lightning and just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. Which will kill 2 birds with 1 stone by having HDMI inputs in it, if it has enuf to support all my devices. But might in the mean time just get a 1.3a switcher.

Thanks again.
post #549 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 04:31 PM

heya guys. i've got a couple of questions for you other owners out there.

i just got the 67a750 a couple of days ago (replacing sony 720p 50inch) and many things are going great with it. setting it up as my computer monitor was just as easy as it was with the sony two years ago, and so far all video i've seen (ota HD, sd, and computer files of various resolutions) looks fantastic.

however, i've got two issues. first off, i've got a pretty serious convergence issue. at least i assume that's what it is. i noticed that text looks odd on the edges, and it was starting to hurt my eyes, so i put up the white-on-black grid pattern.... sure enough, the lines are pure white in the center, but as you go towards the edges, they start doing red-green (or blue) banding, which is really irritating. can't see it on video, but since this thing is primarily for use as a computer monitor, the rainbowed text is driving me bonkers. rather than try to truck this sucker back out to best buy in another borrowed truck and exchange it just yet, i called samsung. they are scheduling a samsung tech to come out and check things out. i'll keep you guys posted. i've got 27 days left to return it, so i'm taking the chance.

next up. i've got an odd and self-induced issue. the stand i'm using is 24 inches tall, and thus my vertical viewing angle is slightly off. i figure that from where i sit (about 10-11 feet, depending) i need to be about 4 to 5 inches higher (or the tv needs to be about 4 to 5 inches lower, whatever). because the stand has a very high WAF and took for-freaking-ever to build, and bringing it back would be a pain (it too is new), i decided to take the path of least resistance and just lift the damn couch. i got some 5 inch risers, put em on, and behold!.... perfect picture! and severe circulation issues in the legs. also, suddenly the coffee and end tables are way too low. etc etc etc, insert other obvious issues with too-tall seating here. anywho.

so. short of cutting off the bottom of the stand (no) or getting a shorter one (last resort), i need ideas. i've had two bad ideas thus far, and i wanted to at least run them by you guys and see just how stupid they really are. they are basically the same idea, in two different forms: a) throw some shims under the back of the tv, to tilt it slightly forward, bringing the viewing angle back where it ought to be, or b) throw some shims, risers, whatever under the back of the tv stand, tilting IT slightly forward, yadda yadda yadda.

thoughts?

i think these are both terrible ideas, and i need to be convinced that they are, or educated as to why they are not. has anyone done anything seemingly-stupid like this and gotten it to work? is there anything else i can do to avoid carting this damn tv stand back to best buy and vainly trying to agree on another one? please?

i'm dying here guys, throw me a bone.

thanks,

pdar
post #550 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 05:27 PM

Smashclash- I'm in same boat, but without all the painful back and forth. My 67" shipped out from east coast last tuesday and made it to Oregon this Saturday. CEVA called today and I set up delivery tomorrow AM. I had to beg someone to cover me 1/2 day at work or i wouldn't be able to take delivery for a week, especially since I'm on this weekend. Hope yours and mine are in good shape, can't wait to go from 32" LCD to this monster.

alucard454- my stand is 24" high, but I think 19" is actually the perfect height, i will be at 11 ft, so someone on the board mentioned using a shim under the back to give just that little bit of tilt to get nice vertical alignment to my eye height so I think I will give that a try. It will interesting to see how it looks one I'm lying down on couch and eyes are much lower and I will be off to side a bit also. I hope you get the convergence thing sorted out, I will have to refuse shipment if mine is out alignment by very much, sigh, fingers crossed.

Cheers.
post #551 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard454 View Post

i noticed that text looks odd on the edges, and it was starting to hurt my eyes, so i put up the white-on-black grid pattern.... sure enough, the lines are pure white in the center, but as you go towards the edges, they start doing red-green (or blue) banding, which is really irritating. can't see it on video, but since this thing is primarily for use as a computer monitor, the rainbowed text is driving me bonkers. rather than try to truck this sucker back out to best buy in another borrowed truck and exchange it just yet, i called samsung. they are scheduling a samsung tech to come out and check things out. i'll keep you guys posted. i've got 27 days left to return it, so i'm taking the chance.

Is your TV in "just scan" mode? If not, you're probably not getting 1:1 pixel mapping, and that might cause banding...though I would have thought it would cause black&white banding...
post #552 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Hey guys. I've been reading this thread for the past month trying to decide if I should buy one or not. About 3 weeks ago I finally did. I bought a 61". Like most people, I was disappointed. It was tilted and the geometry was off. Took it back to BB last monday for another one. A little better, but still pretty bad.

Finally took the second 61" back today and splurged on the 67". The lady had them hook it up in store to make sure I liked it. They measured it and everything, looks perfect.

Just as everyone else in the thread who has traded the 61" for the 67", I am thoroughly happy. Would definitely recommend the 67". I could tell the difference as soon as I picked it up. Felt MUCH heavier than the 61". I'd definitely say it is more sturdy.

I happy I finally got one I liked. Thanks for the great comments guys!

Now I gotta find it for cheaper so I get the price match...
post #553 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 07:31 PM

TV Recommended Display Settings:

Any for PC using Dvi to Hdmi????

Mitsubishi WD-73640 3D DLP HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1121-K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC America Formula F-12 Sub | JBL Studio 190x2 , 180x2, 130x2 (Rear Surrounds), 120c Speakers | Intel DX58SO | I7 975 @ 3.3Ghz | Windows 8.1 64bit
post #554 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenbake View Post

Hey guys. I've been reading this thread for the past month trying to decide if I should buy one or not. About 3 weeks ago I finally did. I bought a 61". Like most people, I was disappointed...

That's a pretty broad generalization Jake! One that's arguably not accurate as well...

"Most" people that are happy with a product won't take the time to find and log onto websites to discuss it. To be sure, there are some, such as me! But I doubt most people are disappointed as you stated.

Having said that, I hope you like your 67"! I wish I could have waited the extra month for it to come out, but my 62" Toshiba died and I needed a replacement right away. The extra square footage for the minimal increase in price would have been a no-brainer for me, but I just couldn't wait.

Good luck with your's and let us know how you get things setup!
post #555 of 15718 Old 06-16-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ditto, I don't think there is a consensus that the 67" is necessarily less likely to have geometry issues than the 61". Your 67" could have been the worst of the bunch geometry wise just as easily.

And it has been noted in articles elsewhere that the 67" is the limit of the LEDs intensity so some have complained about the brightness of the 67". . .

Whatever works for you, but I don't think the 61" vs. 67" decision is as simple as you make it. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillNole View Post

That's a pretty broad generalization Jake! One that's arguably not accurate as well...

Matt
post #556 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71 View Post

I'd be interested in this as well. I've just copied over mike_pro's settings from the FAQ and, so far, the .mkv files I've watched have looked incredible (much, much better than on my old HLP-5063). But if there's any fine tuning that can be done specifically for PC input, so much the better!
post #557 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 AM

is it possible that the xbox 360 looks better over component than VGA? i notice less overscan as well, unless i use Wide PC, but then i have about a 2" black bar all around the screen
post #558 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO, the "best" image will be one that provides 1:1 pixel matching. This usually means living with a bit of overscan. If, for the same resolution, you notice one setting has less overscan than another, then at least one of them is not pixel matching.

For my PC, I use DVI->HDMI3 using the mike_pro "movie" settings from the first post with the TV set to 'just scan'. I put up a 2x2 black/white tile background and have a uniform grey image.
post #559 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetizer View Post

is it possible that the xbox 360 looks better over component than VGA? i notice less overscan as well, unless i use Wide PC, but then i have about a 2" black bar all around the screen

Its possible, but it is highly likely if it looks better its a cabling issue or something on your end. Once Microsoft did the upgrade that fixed the color space issue, unless somebody has a crappy VGA input (which Samsung definitely does not), the consensus was that VGA blew away composite from everything I've read. I didn't want to invest in another cable so believe me I checked.

And of course 1080p looks much better on VGA since component won't even do 1080p on HD-DVD

Matt
post #560 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71

I'd be interested in this as well. I've just copied over mike_pro's settings from the FAQ and, so far, the .mkv files I've watched have looked incredible (much, much better than on my old HLP-5063). But if there's any fine tuning that can be done specifically for PC input, so much the better!

mike_pro? erock? StevenZ? nullman? action j?

Inquiring minds want to know!

post #561 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 AM

my PC is currently connected to my 67a750 with these settings:

mode: standard
contrast: 80
brightness: 47
dynamic contrast: off
LED Auto or MEdium, depending on time of day
gamma: 0
white balance: 0
color tone: normal
size: wide PC

then i set the resolution to 1920x1080 and call up the Wide PC picture adjustments to fill up the screen with very little cut-off on the edges. sometimes i switch to 1600x900 when i'm writing or reading, and from my ~11 foot viewing distance it looks great.

-----

now as to my convergence issue. it is not a matter of Just Scan or anything. every source displays the same issue, and it manifests in the same way. it's just easier to see it on the PC display (and it shows up no matter what my settings are) because there are more fine lines and text.

-----

viewing angle stuff:
perhaps i should be more clear as to my concerns about shimming. It seems there are two basic options for shimming, right? shim the TV or shim the stand.

so, if you shim the TV, this present two-and-a-half problems.

1) the TV is now destabilized, and should more easily tip forward (i know, it's not gonna be THAT tipped, but still. i've got a 3 month-old and i'm paranoid)

2) the TV is now resting most of its weight on the very front edge of the frame. that seems like it would cause distortionary issues, if not immediately, the over time. i don't think the frame was designed to face that sort of localized pressure, but i don't know for sure.

2.5) the manual is very clear to state that the TV should always be placed on a FLAT surface, and surely a shim in the back does not qualify as producing a flat surface. but screw the manual, right? ....

ok, so on to shimming the stand:

1) you destabilize the stand a bit, blah blah blah. i think this is less of a concern with a heavy stand and a heavy TV on top of it, but still.

2) you destabilize everything in/on the stand because they are now tilted. meh. not sure how big of a deal this would be

but, you do gain a "flat" surface, which means that the TV is resting on all of its supporting area, and also produces more friction to resist sliding off.

i dunno. both of these ideas have serious issues i think, but i seem to recall at least some other people trying similar things with these sets, so i'm curious.

anyone out there actually do this, and if so, what about the issues i've brought up? just not that big of a deal?

damn i'm long-winded....

thanks
post #562 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 08:51 AM

wide pc picture settings? where is this? i don't follow what these settings are
post #563 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetizer View Post

wide pc picture settings? where is this? i don't follow what these settings are

If you select "PC" as the source for the DVI-->HDMI input, you can use the picture size button on the remote to toggle: 4:3, Wide TV, Wide PC. Choosing Wide PC gives you the options to re-postion the desktop. The OSD doesn't last that long (annoying...), but you can also do this via the settings menu.
post #564 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:

If you select "PC" as the source for the DVI-->HDMI input, you can use the picture size button on the remote to toggle: 4:3, Wide TV, Wide PC. Choosing Wide PC gives you the options to re-postion the desktop. The OSD doesn't last that long (annoying...), but you can also do this via the settings menu.

i did that on my VGA input for my 360, you can't resize it though, so i get the 2" black bar around my image, and if i do wide tv, thats almost fine, but i can't center the image properly, even moving it all the way down, it's still too high with test images. seems ok though with my ps3 plugged into hdmi3, but i don't see wide PC for that, just 16:9, 4:3 and justscan
post #565 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

TV Settings:
Detailed Settings:
--- xvYCC: Off (On seems to make no difference to me. Only devices that use this anyways are some camcorders. Turn it on if you have such a device.)

i notice that when i'm using my 360, if i change this setting, i see a big difference in color, i don't know why, i don't know if it's because i'm using analog connections, either component or VGA
post #566 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 11:29 AM

Hi all,

I have been lurking in this fourm for a few weeks now.. About to pull the trigger on the 67''. Quick question how important is a upscaling DVD player on this TV? Does the TV have the ability to upscale the video on its own without the help of the DVD player?

Thanks.

-G
post #567 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 PM

ok, i got my tv today from big river and it's all hooked up. i'm presently watching the france vs. italy on espn HD goodness. so far i'm pleased.

i downloaded the grid and popped the picture in. the geometry is not perfect. on the right side the gridline just barely fades out of the picture at the bottom and is barely in the picture at the top. there is bowing at the bottom of the tv on both sides. the maximum variance on the gridlines from one spot to another is 1/4". I haven't been able to tell anything is off looking at the ticker at the bottom of screen when it is in HD mode. however, you can notice the bow ever so slightly when it's in a SD channel. the black on the sides appears concave on both sides. it looks like if you could push the middle of the screen in ever so slightly it would force out the bow and the picture would be perfect.

but, i expected the geometry to be off so i'm not overly concerned. however, does 1/4" seem like an acceptable amount for the geometry to be off to others?
post #568 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Last year I was in the market for an HLT6187x.

I bought a house instead.

Now I'm still in the market for an HL61A750. It seems to me that back then there was some discussion about the Oppo upconverters not working with the Samsung. Is this still the case? of if not, does anyone know what I was thinking about?

Marlboro

Youth is wasted on the young. Beauty is wasted on the pretty. Great Speakers are wasted on the deaf.
post #569 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashclash View Post

ok, i got my tv today from big river and it's all hooked up. i'm presently watching the france vs. italy on espn HD goodness. so far i'm pleased.

i downloaded the grid and popped the picture in. the geometry is not perfect. on the right side the gridline just barely fades out of the picture at the bottom and is barely in the picture at the top. there is bowing at the bottom of the tv on both sides. the maximum variance on the gridlines from one spot to another is 1/4". I haven't been able to tell anything is off looking at the ticker at the bottom of screen when it is in HD mode. however, you can notice the bow ever so slightly when it's in a SD channel. the black on the sides appears concave on both sides. it looks like if you could push the middle of the screen in ever so slightly it would force out the bow and the picture would be perfect.

but, i expected the geometry to be off so i'm not overly concerned. however, does 1/4" seem like an acceptable amount for the geometry to be off to others?

That sounds just about the same as my new set. I have ran it off of a computer using DVI, off a PS3 using HDMI, and off of my HD Cable box in standard and HD and except for a VERY slight bowing in on 4:3 I can't tell at all. All scrolls on top and bottom of the screen look perfect.

As I said before, if I hadn't thrown the grid up when I got it, I would never have noticed any geometry issues.
post #570 of 15718 Old 06-17-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashclash View Post

Oh, and I've had my 61" for about two weeks and I'm extremely happy with it.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page