Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevi View Post

thoughts on my geometry?

Pretty much same for mine out of the box... As Samsung techs adjust to get about 10% tolorance. After I performed minor tweaks in the service menu, I centered, edge adjusted, and calibrated beam so that my TV is about as close to 2% tolorance. I have a pretty sharp picture at 5 feet away though I prefer to sit at distance of 6 feet.

I did note that your picture is shifted down a wee bit ( I think that is Samsungs fault)... As I used the internal adjusting grids as they show proper positioning points and edge smoothing.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #7113 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger42 View Post

I just want to confirm that these are the settings you are using ?

Mode Movie
Contrast 90
Brightness 45
Sharpness 20
Color 49
Tint 51/49
Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
LED Control Low
Gamma 0
White Balance 0
Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off
xvYCC Off
Color Tone Warm2
Size Just Scan
Digital NR Auto
DNIe Off
HDMI Black Normal
Color Gamut sRGB

Is that correct?

I'm surprised about the Digital NR. I thought in general any special TV image processing was a bad idea. I've been using OFF or LOW but if Auto works better I'm all for it.

those are pretty good settings try the sharpness at 0 and the xvYCC ON
post #7114 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 View Post

I was under the impression that there is no benefit to xvYCC. The source must use xvYCC and then it must also be used when being broadcast.

Quote:

But There's a Catch

In order to make for a wider color gamut and a higher bit depth for even more realistic-looking displays (capable of creating a wider range of colors), every step in the chain needs to do that exact thing, as well. If the camera can only do Rec.709, it won't matter that your TV can do more than that, because that extra color isn't in the source (which is, uh, the situation we have now). If the camera can do xvYCC but the medium (say, HDTV broadcasts) can't, again, it won't matter that your TV can do it. In other words, for you to see the new colors, material will have to be shot, transferred, encoded, and mastered in xvYCC and Deep Color. Sure, you could fake the wider color gamut at the mastering stage, but this won't be true extra color.

Most importantly, the source itself (say, some future HD DVD or Blu-ray player) will have to be able to output the extra color (via HDMI 1.3 or greater) to get to your TV, which also has to be xvYCC and Deep Color capable. If any step doesn't have these, then you won't get the benefit.
With the fact that some TVs don't have enough bits to do the current standard correctly, while some have widely inaccurate color points, even this end of the chain isn't a given. It's a much bigger issue than just having the capability on the cable, isn't it?

Quote:

xvYCC - a Marketing Gimmick? Mostly.

With xvYCC, the range is again extended to 0-255 as is expected, since digital TVs have no under- or over-shoot as did analogue television signals. This will effectively override (in theory) any RGB or YCbCr settings on your source, AV receiver, or display. The idea is that the xvYCC color gamut is only effective when all components in a chain support it. While several AV receivers and displays support xvYCC color space, currently only the PlayStation3 provides xvYCC as a source. Here's where it gets dicey: The Blu-ray specification for movies (BD-ROM) does not support Deep Color or the new xvYCC color space. Oops.
I'll say it again: Blu-ray and HD DVD movie formats are limited to 8-bit 4:2:0 YCbCr. To our knowledge, there is no move to add xvYCC expanded color capability to the BD-ROM specification. In addition, issues of backwards compatibility would be extremely difficult to overcome, rendering any new 10-bit or higher formats unplayable on legacy BD players. The only solution would be to take advantage of larger BD storage media and issue discs with dual data streams for video (double sided or dual layer if you will).

Without mastering and the ability to store xvYCC on source material (other than games which are generated via PC video cards) it seems that xvYCC is largely a marketing gimmick.

- Clint DeBoer
Currently, Hollywood films are telecined directly to digital, with masters stored on D5 tape in 10-bit 4:2:2 format. While this is better than the 8-bit 4:2:0 present on current media, it's still not 12- or 16-bit Deep Color or even utilizing the xvYCC color space. Without mastering and the ability to store xvYCC on source material (other than games which are generated via PC video cards) it seems that xvYCC is largely a marketing gimmick, save the new lines of camcorders, etc which boast 10-bit recording and xvYCC support. Somehow, eliminating the occasional color banding in home movies isn't exactly the incredible leap in technology for which most of us were hoping.

I'm not aware of any content that uses xvYCC, unless you have a camcorder which does.
post #7115 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboaudi View Post

got any pics...i heard it didnt work well for projection

No pictures, but you can get info about bias lighting at the CinemaQuest site.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #7116 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

No pictures, but you can get info about bias lighting at the CinemaQuest site.

ya...ive been there and most things ive seen seem to favor lcd flatpanels...tried calling the place and no answer
post #7117 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranman View Post

I bought mine to stare at test patterns and to drive myself crazy. I have lots of free time on my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetRoe View Post

I concur, Just got my 67" set from the Big River and it is absolutely awesome! Pristine condition with no noticeable flaws. I can't tell you how freaking amazing this thing looks. My dad, who told me I was making a big mistake, came in after I had it hooked up and he was floored. He actually told me that it's the best picture he's ever seen and was just totally amazed by the clarity and bright colorful picture.

Told you so..

Dave

post #7118 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

starting to make me wish I'd gotten the 67". If only the discount was as massive as the 61". Then again, my living room isn't very big.
post #7119 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:

ya...ive been there and most things ive seen seem to favor lcd flatpanels...tried calling the place and no answer

There is a sticky thread about them in the display calibration area. The owner of that company posts there and answers questions.

The panel-light is intended for flatpanels. The standard light is best for RPTV's such as these DLP's.
post #7120 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mode Movie
Contrast 90
Brightness 45
Sharpness 20
Color 49
Tint 51/49
Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
LED Control Low
Gamma 0
White Balance 0
Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off
xvYCC Off
Color Tone Warm2
Size Just Scan
Digital NR Auto
DNIe Off
HDMI Black Normal
Color Gamut sRGB

Is that correct?

I'm surprised about the Digital NR. I thought in general any special TV image processing was a bad idea. I've been using OFF or LOW but if Auto works better I'm all for it.

My bad. DNR should be off, I missed that when I entered those settings. But, can't edit it again.
post #7121 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 View Post

xvYCC should be left off. It's not even close on the color gamut. If you prefer the look, you can go for it. But, it is not accurate color.

Best investment you can do on this set is to get it professionally calibrated by someone who knows how to calibrate Samsungs.
post #7122 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey View Post

My bad. DNR should be off, I missed that when I entered those settings. But, can't edit it again.

I wanted to edit mine as well, but now we can't for some reason.
post #7123 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought my Ideal-Lume from CQ when LCD displays were just starting to come out on the market and plasmas were for the wealthy. The Ideal-Lume Standard works just fine for DLP. They have a different light for flat panels.

post #7124 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevi View Post

thoughts on my geometry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

One of the best I've seen posted

To me it seems fairly typical of the 750's. It's got some tilt and bowing. Seems similar to mine. Enough to annoy some people when looking at the grid but nothing you would see at all during normal TV viewing.
post #7125 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:

xvYCC should be left off. It's not even close on the color gamut. If you prefer the look, you can go for it. But, it is not accurate color.

Best investment you can do on this set is to get it professionally calibrated by someone who knows how to calibrate Samsungs.

What's the best choice for color mode - Normal, sRGB, Wide ?

I'd consider calibration if it weren't so darn expensive. What is it like $400 for 3 hours or so in my house?
post #7126 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

That's too bad. My set is being delivered Monday. I've been worrying about this happening to me, so reading your post doesn't help matters. How do you check the geometry with a USB key? Do just download the pattern to the drive and then use the Wiselink USB plug? Where did you download the pattern from? You could order one from Amazon and see if you have better luck.

Thanks, but hopefully you won't run into the same problems with yours on Monday that we did here. I gave ordering another one from "Big River" some serious consideration, but after going to a local dealer yesterday afternoon and taking a look again at the Mits WD-65736 we decided to give that one a try. They assured us we could return it within 30 days if we had any issues with it at all.

After getting it back to the house and firing it up the picture looks great, the build quality definitely seems far superior (the bezel and screen are much more sturdy and this was a major issue the wife had with the A750), and it has no geometry issues whatsoever out of the box. So unless something drastic happens in the next 29 days, we'll be sticking with it.

I really wish it would have worked out with the 61A750 because it honestly looked great aside from the awful geometry on the one we got, and I really wanted an LED based DLP too, but it looks like things will end up working out fine in the end.
post #7127 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the best choice for color mode - Normal, sRGB, Wide ?

I'd consider calibration if it weren't so darn expensive. What is it like $400 for 3 hours or so in my house?

Best choice is sRGB(StudioRGB).

You can also get yourself a colorimeter like the Display2 and the free HCFR software and have a go at it. At least to measure what you current have, change user menu settings until you get it dialed in. Getting into the service menus and making changes there is not for everyone.
post #7128 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

Its too bad there is no tilt adjustment in the user menu.
I see that it has the horizontal and vertical position options for the user...I guess they should have added the tilt function if they can't keep the quality consistent

The tilt is a mechanical adjustment if the whole screen is affected, so there is no way to change it through the user menu. The service manual shows that to adjust it, you have a grid up, loosen the DMD board, manually adjust for the best position, then tighten back down the mounting screws.

Of course, since it is under warranty, and it's a problem, then just call Samsung to send out a tech.
post #7129 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Mode Movie
Contrast 90
Brightness 45
Sharpness 20
Color 49
Tint 51/49
Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
LED Control Low
Gamma 0
White Balance 0
Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off
xvYCC Off
Color Tone Warm2
Size Just Scan
Digital NR Auto
DNIe Off
HDMI Black Normal
Color Gamut sRGB

Is that correct?

those are it, i had it on low too, but it still looks great to me on auto.
post #7130 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 AM

I just got my 67" inch today. I how do I find out what the firmware is and does anyone know what the most current one is?

Besides going into the service menu and checking the geometry are there other things that you would do to check the TV?

I have to say that this TV is amazing. Thanks to everyone here for helping me make the decision to get this TV.
post #7131 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The tilt is a mechanical adjustment if the whole screen is affected, so there is no way to change it through the user menu. The service manual shows that to adjust it, you have a grid up, loosen the DMD board, manually adjust for the best position, then tighten back down the mounting screws.

Of course, since it is under warranty, and it's a problem, then just call Samsung to send out a tech.

Don't do this at home kids. It as a major PITA to get it right, and requires a lot of frustrating trial and error. I had that done under warranty on my HLP6163 and it took the tech about 2 hours to get it decent. Hopefully, Samsung has made it easier to perform that adjustment with these sets, but I wouldn't bet on it.

For one, you are behind the set when adjusting the DMS board. So you need a mirror or a helper.

post #7132 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestime View Post

I just got my 67" inch today. I how do I find out what the firmware is and does anyone know what the most current one is?

Menu | Setup | SW Upgrade

Press the Info button (NOT enter).

The module ends with the firmware version #
post #7133 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone know what the most current one is?

Firmware Version: 1007.4 (9/19/08)

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #7134 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino66 View Post

I posted this before but everyone keeps talking about amazon and vanns. US appliance has the 61" for 1314 and the 67" for 1704 with free shipping and the 200 nfl card and if you put in a coupon code you get another 100 off. $1214-$1604. Just trying to help.

Appreciate the tip. i purchased a hl67a750 six months ago for $1799.00 which was a great price. Best TV I have ever owned (My last TV was a the last generation Pioneer Elite 64" RPHDTV, the finest RPCRT TV ever made). I like it so much I just purchased my future back up today for $1604.00! Thats 33% off retail! For those of you who are witing for this TV to drop much further..Don't. Supplies are already limited now, and my guess is by March, there will be little or nothing left.
post #7135 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Where'd ya get it for $1604? Big River + Gold box?
post #7136 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranman View Post

Where'd ya get it for $1604? Big River + Gold box?

US appliance has the 61" for 1314 and the 67" for 1704 with free shipping and the 200 nfl card and if you put in a coupon code you get another 100 off. $1214-$1604.

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #7137 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 11:05 AM

When i press the info. button on the remote, it shows channel, resolution, etc. But near the middle bottom of screen it says " Store Demo" for about 3 seconds, then disappears. Anybody know why? I've never noticed this before.
post #7138 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

There is a sticky thread about them in the display calibration area. The owner of that company posts there and answers questions.

The panel-light is intended for flatpanels. The standard light is best for RPTV's such as these DLP's.

cinemaquest returned my call and email very quickly. My understadning was the standard light is for both dlps and flat panels if they are on a stand. the panel light is for wall mounted units.
post #7139 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem69 View Post

When i press the info. button on the remote, it shows channel, resolution, etc. But near the middle bottom of screen it says " Store Demo" for about 3 seconds, then disappears. Anybody know why? I've never noticed this before.

When you power up the TV for the VERY FIRST time it asks you a few one-time questions, one of which is this for Store Demo or Home use. Could you have selected Store Demo by mistake? I can't recall if unplugging the set will reset those questions.
post #7140 of 15718 Old 01-24-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem69 View Post

you're in the store demo mode which was selected the first time the tv was turned on. I forget where exactly but you can switch store to home mode within the menu. play around with it. sorry I can't remember where.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page