1Likes

post #7351 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefvics View Post

I think if you leave the TV in the box and carry it vertically you are going to be ok...as mentioned there is rigid styrofoam on all four corners of the screen inside the cardboard box which should provide enough support to CAREFULLY tilt the box vertically and GENTLY bring it around the corner.

It would be more difficult (but not impossible) to do this with the TV outside of the original packaging though due to the flimsy bezel.

Since there were no warnings on the box about tilting or laying it down (like on a plasma) I didn't even think about it. I had to lay mine down to transport it in the back of a truck to my house. My geometry isn't perfect but it's damn close, so I don't know if I caused it or if it came that way. I unpacked it myself and the styrofoam looked pretty supportive of the corners. I wasn't worried at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this before but I will say it again. For those of you complaining about SD picture quality.....

Make sure that your source (cable box or sat receiver) is not upconverting the SD signal.

My Motorola HD cable box was upconverting ALL signals to 1080i and they did not look good on my set. I went into the service menu (on the cable box)and locked the SD output resolution to 480i. The TV does a much better job of upconverting than my cable box did. My SD picture quality is much better now.

-Eli

AV Nut
post #7353 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech View Post

Ditto!!!

I have a massive DVD collection and decided that I needed a player worthy of my new TV as 1080 is not an option on my old DVD player.

I got a Samsung BD player less than $200 including shipping in November and it realy makes the old DVDs a lot better looking and near BD quality.

Though many have seen issues with DVD playback on most DB players with LCD displays, it does not mean we will, as we all have DLPs here on this thread.

I have played a few BD movies on the DLP and found they are clear and crisp, but many movies made before 2000 were not so there is a lot of image enhancement.

If you like Plasma, then BD movies are up your ally, as for me I like cinema, thats why I chose DLP and DVD.

Which DVD player did you get? Right now I'm considering the Oppo 980H for upconverting, but would be glad to look at a different player too.
post #7354 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post

I posted this before but I will say it again. For those of you complaining about SD picture quality.....

Make sure that your source (cable box or sat receiver) is not upconverting the SD signal.

My Motorola HD cable box was upconverting ALL signals to 1080i and they did not look good on my set. I went into the service menu (on the cable box)and locked the SD output resolution to 480i. The TV does a much better job of upconverting than my cable box did. My SD picture quality is much better now.

-Eli

Generalizing your experience to all STBs is not really valid. Some have better scalars than others, and if they have a better scalar than the TV, than it could very well be preferable to let the box do the up-conversion. In my case, I can not tell much difference between my Sat. HD DVR and TV doing the scaling. I let the HD DVR do it since if I set it to native, then the TV has a delay everytime it needs to switch input resolutions.

As regards STBs, YMMV.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #7355 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swipesy View Post

Which DVD player did you get? Right now I'm considering the Oppo 980H for upconverting, but would be glad to look at a different player too.

See my list in my signature... Some have stated that the BD-P2500/BD-P2550 is better, though at $300 I could not justify, unless you want Netflix, Pandora, and decoded 8 channel audio outputs for older recievers.

I tried the Samsung HDMI link to make the player work with the TV's remote as a unified unit, but found it took twice as long to startup the TV, so I disabled the function in the TV menu.

Many say it is as good as an Oppo

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #7356 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc123 View Post

I will be getting it calib. in two months but for now i am using standard mode. My seating distance is 9' and i am looking dead center! black adj off, dyn con low, led con low.Does yours have this problem and can you help?

It's just a reflection of the image off of the mirror. It's the nature of the slim DLP TV. The brighter your settings are the more pronounced it will be. I use Lee's settings except my LED output is set to min (no back lighting yet). I sit 9 1/2' from my 67" dead center and can't see the reflection from there. Give Lee's settings a try and see if you like them. If not you can always switch back but my guess is that you'll see an improvement in not only PQ but also in that reflection.

The pattern of human vice and folly is to make impulsive choices based upon inflated conceits about what they know and then make defensive excuses for their bad choices. Break the cycle.
post #7357 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empyrials View Post

i got mine setup today and OMG i'm in love. i noticed a slight tilt left on the geometry but not sure how to adjust it

other than that it's flawless.

Mine has a slight tilt as well. A cm or so down from right to left. You have to adjust the position of the light engine to correct it. I got the service manual and it's less than a page on how to adjust tilt. You basically take off the back cover then loosen 3 screws on the light engine. You can then adjust the position of it. My concern is that a cm on the screen probably translates into a mm or less of movement for the light engine. You'd need to come up with a method of making very slight changes in position. I'll probably give it a shot once I take a look and see what things look like in the back.

David
post #7358 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:

See my list in my signature... Some have stated that the BD-P2500/BD-P2550 is better, though at $300 I could not justify, unless you want Netflix, Pandora, and decoded 8 channel audio outputs for older recievers.

I tried the Samsung HDMI link to make the player work with the TV's remote as a unified unit, but found it took twice as long to startup the TV, so I disabled the function in the TV menu.

I'm still a bit confused by your BD/DVD - plasma/LCD/DLP comment on the last page...
post #7359 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you notice any light bleeding into the first half of the black bar in widescreen content?

As you have posted several times on this issue, I threw in a 2.35 DVD (007 Tomorrow Never Dies) to check it out. I have no bleed into the black bars, period. I am very close to the calibration numbers on the first page; don't know if that makes any difference, but thought I'd throw that in just in case you want to calibrate and check again. If you're seeing this (a picture would be helpful for us) with good calibration, then you probably have something wrong with your set (IMO).

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7360 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Did you notice any light bleeding into the first half of the black bar in widescreen content?

Have you called Samsung yet? Just go ahead and call them and tell us what they say.
post #7361 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Oops, sorry, many times I overlook signatures.

I looked at those, and many people say they get hot. Is this a problem with yours?
post #7362 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:29 AM

Hi, I found this forum back in Dec. after our tv died. I was trying to find the best TV for the best deal. I ended up showing this thread to my husband to sway him into needing this TV. He agreed and we got in on the deal from Crutchfield!!

We have had the TV for 4 days now and I love it, as does my husband. You guys are way over my head with alot of the technical stuff you talk about. Our TV seems fine (we haven't ran test grids or anything like that), it has a great picture, but I keep hearing a buzzing sound coming from the speakers. It is not noticable if I am watching something. I can hear it if I pause live tv on our dvr/cable box of if I have it on a channel with no programing such as On Demand. It is definetly coming from the TV speakers and sort of pulsates. Is this just the fans inside or is this something I should be concerned about?

I hope this isn't too silly of a question, but everyone on here seems so nice, I thought someone might have an answer for me. Thanks for all the info and advice you guys post here. Because of this forum we were able to get a larger and better quality TV than we ever thought we could afford!!!
post #7363 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie4063 View Post

Hi, I found this forum back in Dec. after our tv died. I was trying to find the best TV for the best deal. I ended up showing this thread to my husband to sway him into needing this TV. He agreed and we got in on the deal from Crutchfield!!

We have had the TV for 4 days now and I love it, as does my husband. You guys are way over my head with alot of the technical stuff you talk about. Our TV seems fine (we haven't ran test grids or anything like that), it has a great picture, but I keep hearing a buzzing sound coming from the speakers. It is not noticable if I am watching something. I can hear it if I pause live tv on our dvr/cable box of if I have it on a channel with no programing such as On Demand. It is definetly coming from the TV speakers and sort of pulsates. Is this just the fans inside or is this something I should be concerned about?

I hope this isn't too silly of a question, but everyone on here seems so nice, I thought someone might have an answer for me. Thanks for all the info and advice you guys post here. Because of this forum we were able to get a larger and better quality TV than we ever thought we could afford!!!

Which picture mode are you using?
post #7364 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oops, sorry, many times I overlook signatures.

I looked at those, and many people say they get hot. Is this a problem with yours?

I have posted many times through the 1500 thread and nobody has agreed or believed me...

Mine is sandwiched with no room for air to cool... it is in a shelf with my center channel speaker on top. 1/32" clearance on top, and 2" clearance on both sides.

The player does get warm, though it is the bottom of the chassis... since the unit does not have a fan (which is better, as fans fail and dust can enter).

The issue is that some of BD-P1500 units are made with the heat sink cooling pads mis-aligned, and causes the units to over heat easier (Mostly heat stressing CPU and Decoder chips). Easy fix is to open the unit and unscrew the main board and lift it off the chassis. Once you remove and place the pads centered over the chips, the proper alignment will keep the cooling through the chassis.

I would not perform the above unless you are able to get the player to freeze while playing back a BD.

I have played two BD discs back to back and had a 3 day showing of LOTR Trilogy (Extended DTS ES version) played no issues.

The only issue at this time that Samsung has not fixed is Terminator Ultimate Edition playback when watching the extended version. It freezes at a chapter / layer change (when Sarah confronts Dyson after listening to his whining). Though it is not a freeze from overheating... as I can get it to resume by pressing stop, and then press play soon as it happens (it continues to playback all the way to the end).

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #7365 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefvics View Post

I think if you leave the TV in the box and carry it vertically you are going to be ok...as mentioned there is rigid styrofoam on all four corners of the screen inside the cardboard box which should provide enough support to CAREFULLY tilt the box vertically and GENTLY bring it around the corner.

It would be more difficult (but not impossible) to do this with the TV outside of the original packaging though due to the flimsy bezel.

If it's any consolation my 61 seems to be fine even though one person took it off the truck and put it sideways in a dolly and rolled up to my front door!
post #7366 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMontgomery View Post

Mine has a slight tilt as well. A cm or so down from right to left. You have to adjust the position of the light engine to correct it. I got the service manual and it's less than a page on how to adjust tilt. You basically take off the back cover then loosen 3 screws on the light engine. You can then adjust the position of it. My concern is that a cm on the screen probably translates into a mm or less of movement for the light engine. You'd need to come up with a method of making very slight changes in position. I'll probably give it a shot once I take a look and see what things look like in the back.

David

David,

would you share your tilt adjsutment instruction with me?
PM it to me if possible or email it dcchow@usa.net

Also, you could probably use thin washers to shim the light engine to get to the right position to correct the tilt.

Thanks
post #7367 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:

I have posted many times through the 1500 thread and nobody has agreed or believed me...

Mine is sandwiched with no room for air to cool... it is in a shelf with my center channel speaker on top. 1/32" clearance on top, and 2" clearance on both sides.

The player does get warm, though it is the bottom of the chassis... since the unit does not have a fan (which is better, as fans fail and dust can enter).

The issue is that some of BD-P1500 units are made with the heat sink cooling pads mis-aligned, and causes the units to over heat easier (Mostly heat stressing CPU and Decoder chips). Easy fix is to open the unit and unscrew the main board and lift it off the chassis. Once you remove and place the pads centered over the chips, the proper alignment will keep the cooling through the chassis.

I would not perform the above unless you are able to get the player to freeze while playing back a BD.

I have played two BD discs back to back and had a 3 day showing of LOTR Trilogy (Extended DTS ES version) played no issues.

The only issue at this time that Samsung has not fixed is Terminator Ultimate Edition playback when watching the extended version. It freezes at a chapter / layer change (when Sarah confronts Dyson after listening to his whining). Though it is not a freeze from overheating... as I can get it to resume by pressing stop, and then press play soon as it happens (it continues to playback all the way to the end).

Oh, ok, understood. I'd have no problem re-aligning the pads, I have years of experience modifying certain electronic gear. Is the T2 movie problem on a BD? I have it on standard DVD.
post #7368 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie4063 View Post

I think it is one of the three cooling fans that are in the TV... It is normal for the fans to kick in when various LED modes are used. In auto the fan noise will change to the amount of intensity. In very bright scenes the fan or fans will be at their loudest, but only noticable when at low or no audio.

The speakers are under the TV, the cooling fans are behind near the bottom left corner in inside above the main board.

Also some firmwares will adjust fan control differently. Most that have 1005. have noted this more than 1006. and the newer 1007. may have another setting for fans to kick in.

post #7369 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh, ok, understood. I'd have no problem re-aligning the pads, I have years of experience modifying certain electronic gear. Is the T2 movie problem on a BD? I have it on standard DVD.

Standard is fine... it is only with Ultimate Edition when playing back the extended version. The issue could be that it was a new seemless design for chapter change and allowed both standard version and extended version to be on one disc. I only have a few DVD titles made like that, but this one is the problem child.

post #7370 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Me too on the tweak and mods department... Just finished my 663 / 6160 mod and posted in the recievers thread.

Got my Yamaha to blast 1000VA, as the stock 500VA (Ok for 5 channels) is too weak for 7 channel amplification. Though I had to pull the component input board an move the power board to fit dual power transformers in parallel connecton to the power amp section. A very cheap and quick mod that allows refrence and above amplification on 7 channels. Look ma, no external amps!

post #7371 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

David,

would you share your tilt adjsutment instruction with me?
PM it to me if possible or email it dcchow@usa.net

Also, you could probably use thin washers to shim the light engine to get to the right position to correct the tilt.

Thanks

Hi

Make sure the TV is level, as I pointed out long ago on this thread. Some carpets take some time to settle since this TV is light and wide stands distribute weight lighter across 6 (feet / castors) than a narrow 4:3 stand.

You can ajust tilt by shimming the stand under the TV as a quick fix also.

a small piece of cardboard under the right side will raise the left side and visa-versa.

post #7372 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post

-Eli

What model is your Motorola cable box? I have a 6416 and have been wondering about the box vs TV upconversion. Right now I have HD content output at 1080i and 4:3 override set to OFF which I believe means - don't change the signal.
post #7373 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger42 View Post

What model is your Motorola cable box? I have a 6416 and have been wondering about the box vs TV upconversion. Right now I have HD content output at 1080i and 4:3 override set to OFF which I believe means - don't change the signal.

That's exactly what I have. DCH6416 - 4:3 override to OFF.
post #7374 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolfe4 View Post

I just bought a new Samsung DLP HDTV along with a Yamaha RXV663 Home Theater Receiver and Samsung Bluray, but I'm not sure what to do with my speakers and I would like to ask for your assistance:

I am planning on using my good existing home theater speakers which is the Yamaha NS-AP100 system which are maybe 10 years old... They seem like good speakers... but what do I know... money's tight too.

Anyway I'd like to 1) add a subwoofer, 2) I am curious if the existing speaker system will work well with my new receiver, and 3) what is an excellent value subwoofer (most bang for the $)? Value is the key word as I don't want to replace anything I don't need to...

Please let me know your recommendations Thanks!

I have a cobbled together set of speakers for my system. I have 4 KLH satellites, a Yamaha sub, a KEF center channel, and two Boston Acoustic bipole speakers for the rear. I sit just in front of my rear speakers, and they are on the back wall, and the bipole speakers fire backwards into the wall, which works really well. My center speaker was actually a KEF front surround speaker that I have lying on its side on some non-slip rubber on the bottom and on the part that leans against the bottom of the television. Unless you have several grand to spend, in my opinion, your older speakers are probably better than some home theater in a box speakers for $500.00 or so dollars.
post #7375 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Hi

Make sure the TV is level, as I pointed out long ago on this thread. Some carpets take some time to settle since this TV is light and wide stands distribute weight lighter across 6 (feet / castors) than a narrow 4:3 stand.

You can ajust tilt by shimming the stand under the TV as a quick fix also.

a small piece of cardboard under the right side will raise the left side and visa-versa.

Low Tech,

Thanks for the tip...

Are you suggesting that the TV cabinet is loose/flexible enough to react to pieces of cardboard beneath each side?
I have a stand that sits on a wood floor and the surface where the TV goes is flat and level...do you think I still need to 'shim' the unit to correct geometry?...
post #7376 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubdefender View Post

I have a cobbled together set of speakers for my system. I have 4 KLH satellites, a Yamaha sub, a KEF center channel, and two Boston Acoustic bipole speakers for the rear. I sit just in front of my rear speakers, and they are on the back wall, and the bipole speakers fire backwards into the wall, which works really well. My center speaker was actually a KEF front surround speaker that I have lying on its side on some non-slip rubber on the bottom and on the part that leans against the bottom of the television. Unless you have several grand to spend, in my opinion, your older speakers are probably better than some home theater in a box speakers for $500.00 or so dollars.

Oh, and I have the same Yamaha receiver. The auto speaker set with the mic is pretty good, though I did go in and change some levels and delays to account for my room.
post #7377 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

Low Tech,

Thanks for the tip...

Are you suggesting that the TV cabinet is loose/flexible enough to react to pieces of cardboard beneath each side?
I have a stand that sits on a wood floor and the surface where the TV goes is flat and level...do you think I still need to 'shim' the unit to correct geometry?...

Ok, you can try... as these tvs have a lack of sturdyness with the tv stand. Funny thing is that Samsung voids warrenty if you should remove it.

The reason for the flimsy stand is that it does not use the whole lower frame, as it is mounted around center of the frame. So being top heavy, the weight of the tv will cause the lower frame to pivot since the tv stand is not level.

PS, even if you have a wood or flat floor, does not mean you have a level floor... these TVs are top heavy so as weebles wobble...

post #7378 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
We got the HL61a750 about week ago from Conn's. It is really a nice HDTV. I immensely enjoyed seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey on it. My son wants to do a LOTR marathon.

I'm now bitten by the blu-ray bug.

Is the PS3 a good substitute for a blu-ray player? If not, any comments about the Sony BDP-BX1 (Sam's Club) or the entry level Magnavox blu-ray player (from Wal-Mart)?
post #7379 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Mater View Post

What are your settings?

What's your seating distance?

Is the center of the screen at eye level?

I got my HL61a750 today, can someone please post the complete setting instructions one more time or give us the link to follow.

Thanks.
post #7380 of 15757 Old 01-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsariq View Post

I got my HL61a750 today, can someone please post the complete setting instructions one more time or give us the link to follow.

Thanks.

They are in the first post of this thread... just click on in the pages link below.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page