3Likes

post #7381 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfracek View Post

We got the HL61a750 about week ago from Conn's. It is really a nice HDTV. I immensely enjoyed seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey on it. My son wants to do a LOTR marathon.

I'm now bitten by the blu-ray bug.

Is the PS3 a good substitute for a blu-ray player? If not, any comments about the Sony BDP-BX1 (Sam's Club) or the entry level Magnavox blu-ray player (from Wal-Mart)?

Many of us here are using a PS3 for blu-ray purposes. The other models are simply competing for second place compared to the PS3. It has top notch playback and everything else it does is a bonus for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 02:17 PM

I don't recall if this has been mentioned in this very long forum but since I have finally asked Samsung and gotten a reply that disappoints me I will share it. My question was how to add 'extra' channels to OTA channel list after a scan. This can be helpful when some channels are affected by weather or antenna direction etc.

The answer from Samsung is that it can't be done. They suggest using a better antenna....wow never would have thought of that one ;-). I DID respond to Samsung saying I thought this was a poor design and response.

I have a channelmaster D2A converter box (on old TV...) that very easily will do multiple incremental 'add scans' and preserve the results of previous scans over time. I am sure other TVs and tuners can so this and/or allow manual entry of channel numbers.

I realize most folks just use satellite or cable exclusively and this may not matter, but for those who may care thought you might like to know.

It should be noted that I really like the TV in many respects but this one (and a few others...) is an annoyance and something I think is a poor design decision.
post #7383 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post

I don't recall if this has been mentioned in this very long forum but since I have finally asked Samsung and gotten a reply that disappoints me I will share it. My question was how to add 'extra' channels to OTA channel list after a scan. This can be helpful when some channels are affected by weather or antenna direction etc.

The answer from Samsung is that it can't be done. They suggest using a better antenna....wow never would have thought of that one ;-). I DID respond to Samsung saying I thought this was a poor design and response.

I have a channelmaster D2A converter box (on old TV...) that very easily will do multiple incremental 'add scans' and preserve the results of previous scans over time. I am sure other TVs and tuners can so this and/or allow manual entry of channel numbers.

I realize most folks just use satellite or cable exclusively and this may not matter, but for those who may care thought you might like to know.

It should be noted that I really like the TV in many respects but this one (and a few others...) is an annoyance and something I think is a poor design decision.

Bummer... I wonder how easily they could fix it with a firmware update?
post #7384 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 02:32 PM

Just got an update from Amazon. MY TV has shipped and amazon estimates delivery on Feb. 06, 2009... I immediately went to CEVA and they estimate a delivery date of Feb. 02, 2009.

Either way I'll be getting mine after the big game. Oh well... I wasn't really planning on getting anything before the super bowl anyway, so this is more like a "hoping but not holding my breath" kind of deal.
post #7385 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM

Folks, is there a preferred stand height for this set (67A750) if the main seating area was approximately 8 to 9 feet away? My search skills seem to be off today. I couldn't find the answer to this question, even though I'm pretty sure it must have already been asked. Apologies in advance.
post #7386 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

If you want the correct effect of bias lighting you should stick with a light which is 6500K. The Ideal-Lume Standard version is only $59.95 and you'll only need one.

Can you buy these Ideal-Lume online? I was at their web site a few days ago and I thought it said something about buying from a local dealer but I could be remembering wrong.
post #7387 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgtor View Post

Folks, is there a preferred stand height for this set (67A750) if the main seating area was approximately 8 to 9 feet away? My search skills seem to be off today. I couldn't find the answer to this question, even though I'm pretty sure it must have already been asked. Apologies in advance.

Whatever puts the center of the screen at eye level for YOUR seating position. For me, it is about 16"

post #7388 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger42 View Post

Can you buy these Ideal-Lume online? I was at their web site a few days ago and I thought it said something about buying from a local dealer but I could be remembering wrong.

You sure can. Here is link for the one you would want: http://www.goestores.com/catalog.asp...74596&detail=1
post #7389 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Many of us here are using a PS3 for blu-ray purposes. The other models are simply competing for second place compared to the PS3. It has top notch playback and everything else it does is a bonus for me.

If you're into picture quality exclusively then the Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD is the way to go. But the PS3 is a good all around unit if you like gaming and so forth.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #7390 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:

You sure can. Here is link for the one you would want: http://www.goestores.com/catalog.asp...74596&detail=1

Thanks. Looks basically like a simple fixture that takes a special 6500K T5 fluorescent.
post #7391 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger42 View Post

Thanks. Looks basically like a simple fixture that takes a special 6500K T5 fluorescent.

+ diffuser and baffle tube
post #7392 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 03:07 PM

This doesn't make sense, but this is what I just saw at Amazon:

List Price: $1,099.99
Price: $1,349.98 Free Shipping
You Save: $550.01 (29%)

(Click on "click here to see the price")

Response from Amazon: "These sets are very high in demand so we increased the price more than the list"

Why not just say that it is a typo as on the main page, it is 1899.99 crossed out.
post #7393 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4M0N View Post

Bummer... I wonder how easily they could fix it with a firmware update?

My thoughts as well....no indication of interest in their first response. Since it looks like they are shutting down this line, I fear they aren't motivated to investigate complaints about it. As I said, I did respond negatively to their answer ... will post any subsequent response.

To me this touches on customer sat and if they CAN make a firmware change it would be a very nice gesture. If they can't I'd like them to say it.

I hope Samsung and other manufacturers are more sensitive to this capability as the digital OTA rollout is a big deal to many customers. It seems simple enough to build in during design, and harmless enough.
post #7394 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post

My thoughts as well....no indication of interest in their first response. Since it looks like they are shutting down this line, I fear they aren't motivated to investigate complaints about it. As I said, I did respond negatively to their answer ... will post any subsequent response.

To me this touches on customer sat and if they CAN make a firmware change it would be a very nice gesture. If they can't I'd like them to say it.

I hope Samsung and other manufacturers are more sensitive to this capability as the digital OTA rollout is a big deal to many customers. It seems simple enough to build in during design, and harmless enough.

I'm afraid that if they won't even post the latest firmware on their website nor mail it out upon request, I don't see them updating anything post production--unlike Toshiba did with their HD players long after the format officially died. For that I will always be a loyal Toshiba customer.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #7395 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Conn's must have bought these things by the thousands. They are still on sale for $999 again this week. Maybe some of these dealers that are out of them should pick some up from Conn's. You know, like spread the love country wide.
post #7396 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 03:17 PM

Well..that is my point. I am not impressed with their response so far. It took days to get the 'buy a better antenna' response.

I do plan to buy a lot more equipment over time....I remember who cares about the customer.
post #7397 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 03:26 PM

I just picked up the hdmi cable box from comcast,wow what a picture! So much better than using comp. cables.
post #7398 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 PM

I just received mine ordered from crutchfield about 5 hours ago, there was only one delivery guy because the other one was a "no call/no show". so i helped him with it out of the truck and everything. so far the picture is great but i am having trouble with audio. i have an hdmi cable from my cable box to the tv and the sound wont work, but it will work if i run components and some l/r cables for sound. any guesses to why this might not work? ill mess with everything a lil more...i tried the settings on the first page and am watching hellboy 2 on blu ray right now....this tv is huge lol.....however it is greatly apparent i need a new stand. i have my old roommates stand and it is about 3 1.2 feet tall. luckily i have this one for now, but i need to take my time and shop around and find a new one that is about 20in tall or so...ill take some measurements and head to ikea this week i guess.
post #7399 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgtor View Post

Folks, is there a preferred stand height for this set (67A750) if the main seating area was approximately 8 to 9 feet away?

For me, it is about 18-19"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc123 View Post

I just picked up the hdmi cable box from comcast,wow what a picture! So much better than using comp. cables.

Did you notice any light bleeding into the first half of the black bar in widescreen content?

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #7400 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

For me, it is about 18-19"

Did you notice any light bleeding into the first half of the black bar in widescreen content?

Yes, and so does everyone else on this thread. I went to cc and bb to view there display models abd they have the same problem. what do you think? Everything else is ok with mine so i guess i can live with it,how about you?
post #7401 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I was thinking about this and got wondering if this would work for me. Notice in the picture how there is a shelf a few inches above the TV and a cabinet on the left side of the TV. I'm wondering if there is enough space around the TV to actually see a light behind the TV. Thoughts?

post #7402 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtorz21 View Post

I was initially let down by comparing the sharpness to my bedroom panasonic plasma but I now think that set produces a somewhat synthetic picture and the samsung DLP produces a much more realistic image.

I love DLP technology too, and if you were talking LCD I'd 100% agree, but I disagree that a properly setup plama looks "synthetic."

Of course like any technology, some are better than others, setup and calibration is important, etc. If setup correctly I think they provide one of the best pictures you can buy today, but everyone has different opinions, which is all good.

If you want a softer "more natural" image on the plasma, turn down the sharpness a bit, turn off any sharpening or edge enhancement features it has, possibly also the contrast, etc. Many people have their sets set way too high sharpness wise, which does that to an image.
post #7403 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what do you think? Everything else is ok with mine so i guess i can live with it,how about you?

No Issues with light bleeding into the first half of the black bar in widescreen content. I'm immensely enjoying the new set.

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #7404 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 04:18 PM

Newbie, has been reading. I received the TV last friday from Crutchfield. Delivery was flawless, it was actually white glove delivery so they come to the house, put it on the stand, plug it in and turn it on.

Picture is awesome. Of course, this is my first big screen. I mean big. I have use the setup suggested at the beginning of this thread.

So for people who are on the fence, just get it. I think Crutchfield have discontinued the products. They still have the 67" thought. This may be the last batch of 61" that we can get. Vanns is available again. I was going to order it from them but they ran out. Then Crutchfield was putting it on sale. This was before Conns was putting it on sale. So that is why I got from Crutchfield.

Anyway, highly recommended for anybody who are on the fence. Can't beat the price compare to 60" Plasma or LCD, at least twice may be 3x that.
post #7405 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, and so does everyone else on this thread. I went to cc and bb to view there display models abd they have the same problem. what do you think? Everything else is ok with mine so i guess i can live with it,how about you?

No, not everyone in this thread is seeing light bleeding into the widescreen bars. In fact I do see it on my older 50" DLP in the lower bar, but thus far do not see it on my new 61".

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
post #7406 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 04:43 PM

I just picked up my 61a750 yesterday and want a difference. Before this one I was using a 15 year old 27 inch tube tv. All I can say is incredible. Picked it up here in NY for 1269 as a price match.

What are the first initial steps to take to make it look the best? I let it warm up yesterday for 3 hours before I turned it on, anything next?

In regards to a bd player, are they able to be hooked up to a set of speakers? I would much rather do that than have to fork out the money for a theater system that has a bd player for 500$ if I could.

Indebted to the input on this site, I do not regret this purchase and sure I won't.
post #7407 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lriker View Post

Picked it up here in NY for 1269 as a price match.

Where in NY and price match to who?
post #7408 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My 61A750 from Crutchfield just arrived about an hour ago. 1 Man with a high bed truck (approx. 4 feet off the ground) no liftgate and a hand truck. He was going slide it off the end of the truck bed onto one end by himself and hand truck it into my house on end. At my request I helped him lift it straight out of the truck and then we just carried it inside my house using the end panel handle holes which were unused until we popped them in. I told him I was going to make it easy on him and let him go at that point. This is the usual delivery situation in my area. Can't imagine how he would have unboxed and set it up by himself. Anyway, at least the box is in decent shape, so hopefully the TV inside is as well .
post #7409 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lriker View Post

I just picked up my 61a750 yesterday and want a difference. Before this one I was using a 15 year old 27 inch tube tv. All I can say is incredible. Picked it up here in NY for 1269 as a price match.

What are the first initial steps to take to make it look the best? I let it warm up yesterday for 3 hours before I turned it on, anything next?

In regards to a bd player, are they able to be hooked up to a set of speakers? I would much rather do that than have to fork out the money for a theater system that has a bd player for 500$ if I could.

Indebted to the input on this site, I do not regret this purchase and sure I won't.

Next would be to customize your video settings. Start here.

You can't connect a BD player directly to speakers. If you don't have a set of external speakers then just connect it to the TV and use the TV speakers. But I will add that having a big screen TV is really only half of a Home Theater experience. Even an entry level 5.1 receiver/speaker system will sounds world's better than the TV speakers.
post #7410 of 15867 Old 01-26-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

My 61A750 from Crutchfield just arrived about an hour ago. 1 Man with a high bed truck (approx. 4 feet off the ground) no liftgate and a hand truck. He was going slide it off the end of the truck bed onto one end by himself and hand truck it into my house on end. At my request I helped him lift it straight out of the truck and then we just carried it inside my house using the end panel handle holes which were unused until we popped them in. I told him I was going to make it easy on him and let him go at that point. This is the usual delivery situation in my area. Can't imagine how he would have unboxed and set it up by himself. Anyway, at least the box is in decent shape, so hopefully the TV inside is as well .

You posted this 10 minutes ago and you haven't been asked about the top bar light bleed. It's a miracle...
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page