2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7471 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ordered from Crutchfield on the 15th, I'm supposed to receive the set tomorrow between 8-noon. I checked the CEVA tracking, and it says my set was scanned in yesterday at RES-Resistencia ??? They flew this thing from Virginia to Argentina, in order to get it to Chicago? Anyone else have this on their tracking?

PSN: Nada_BDK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Well after reading here for quite some time I finally pulled the trigger and orderd the HL67A750 from "Big River" yesterday. Not sure when the set will get here but whenver will be fine as I'm out of town this week and next. Thanks to all for the "reviews" and help that were posted here as it was a big difference in ordering this TV or not. I certainly hope it lives up to my expectations. We are moving from a 55" Mits RPTV that is only HDReady so I'm sure anything will be a step up. Does anyone run their HTPC through this TV? I will be running mine through once it arrives and I know setting up my Mits was a pain in the butt with Timings and such (having to use powerstrip). Do you "need" that with this TV? I'm not sure what the best connection is as my Video card has VGA & DVI out and currently I use VGA-5RCA and the HDComponent Input on my Mits. I haven't search through the thread for this info to see if it's there but if anyone knows of a post or wants to PM me I'd appreciate it.

Lance
post #7473 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBounds View Post

I'm enjoying this tv the only problem I have is that SD-DVD's look horrible. Someone on here suggested it might be the upscaling on my BD player (Sony BDP-S550) thats the problem. Can someone suggest an up-converting player that would make SD-DVD's look the best on this particular television...??? Also, it needs to be able to play region 1 & 2 DVD's. Should I be looking at an Oppo player???

Read post 7312 in this thread. I was watching "Finding Nemo" last night for the Darla Subwoofer test and the picture was just stunning (Toshiba XA2 upconverting to 1080P/60).

post #7474 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

I hope there were no TVs on this flight

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6232255.html

The ATR 42 is not a big airplane. I think it's unlikely any distributor would be shipping TV's via air from Ft. Worth to Lubbock, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post

Read post 7312 in this thread. I was watching "Finding Nemo" last night for the Darla Subwoofer test and the picture was just stunning (Toshiba XA2 upconverting to 1080P/60).

What's the Darla Subwoofer test?

IMO, animation always looks good, even upconverted. I was watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on DVD via my Panasonic BD55 set to 24 fps. The menu sequences (the scenes that pop up when the DVD starts playing, and are mostly animation) looked great. The movie itself - not so good. Maybe I'll see if turning off 24 fps makes a difference.
post #7475 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsmith View Post

Thanks to all for the comments and hands-on experience. I contacted Samsung directly and asked about this maneuver if I left the TV in the original packing. I got the definitive answer, and I quote, "It should be okay."

Not sure it'll stand up in court, but I guess I'll go with it!

Thanks again.

(That is the look on the 12 jurors faces after you tell your story.)
post #7476 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakon View Post

The ATR 42 is not a big airplane. I think it's unlikely any distributor would be shipping TV's via air from Ft. Worth to Lubbock, either.

What's the Darla Subwoofer test?

IMO, animation always looks good, even upconverted. I was watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on DVD via my Panasonic BD55 set to 24 fps. The menu sequences (the scenes that pop up when the DVD starts playing, and are mostly animation) looked great. The movie itself - not so good. Maybe I'll see if turning off 24 fps makes a difference.

The Darla test is the scene in the movie where the Dentist's daughter (Darla) taps on the fish tank. The bass content of that scene is a good stress test for your subwoofer (and the integrety of your house foundation).

I also ran "007 Tommorrow Never Dies" and "Armageddon" to check upconversion and both looked steller using the XA2. I do not see a lot of difference (if any) between 1080P/60 and 1080P/24. YMMV

post #7477 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Roger,

So from your experience you think the OPPO DV-980H is a good matchup with this tv, not as good as the Toshiba but still pretty decent..? I like the fact that it can be easily made region free so this is the one I'll probably get.
post #7478 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBounds View Post

Roger,

So from your experience you think the OPPO DV-980H is a good matchup with this tv, not as good as the Toshiba but still pretty decent..? I like the fact that it can be easily made region free so this is the one I'll probably get.

Honestly, I don't use the OPPO for video, just CD and SACD. I have only put a regular DVD in a couple of times and I thought it looked ok on my TW65H80 RPTV. I have not looked at one on my new Samsung.

If you like, I'll throw in a couple of DVDs (an anomorphic like 007 and a non-amomorphic like StarGate) and let you know my subjective opinion.

post #7479 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM

I ordered my 61A750 from Amazon on the 20th and it is scheduled for delivery between 2 and 5 tomorrow (the 28th) via CEVA.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I look forward to applying some of the calibration information posted.

Will CEVA have a problem waiting 15 minutes for me to run home once I get the call from the wife?
post #7480 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoosc21 View Post

I ordered my 61A750 from Amazon on the 20th and it is scheduled for delivery between 2 and 5 tomorrow (the 28th) via CEVA.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I look forward to applying some of the calibration information posted.

Will CEVA have a problem waiting 15 minutes for me to run home once I get the call from the wife?

The CEVA dispatcher told me the driver would call 30 minutes prior to delivery. We'll see what actually happens. My delivery is scheduled for tomorrow between 1 and 4.
post #7481 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoosc21 View Post

When CEVA called me the morning of delivery, they said they'd call an hour before they arrived at my house.
post #7482 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ask them to give you a call 45 mins before they show up. That's what I did with the Fedex driver.

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #7483 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Honestly, I don't use the OPPO for video, just CD and SACD. I have only put a regular DVD in a couple of times and I thought it looked ok on my TW65H80 RPTV. I have not looked at one on my new Samsung.

If you like, I'll throw in a couple of DVDs (an anomorphic like 007 and a non-amomorphic like StarGate) and let you know my subjective opinion.

The Samsung 2500 with the Reon processor should do a very good job with SD DVD...I hope.

Please report back with your thoughts.
post #7484 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Honestly,

Yeah that would be great..! I've love to hear how it compares to the Toshiba. From what I've read on here most folks with the XA2 say SD-DVD's are pretty close to Blu-Ray quality.
post #7485 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

I have the 1500 and it does a pretty good job for less money. As for picture, it beats most HD content I have seen on Directv. The limitation is the transfer on DVD, as some have better enhancements and such. Also most Movies that have been released before 2001 are soft and more realistic looking on DVD, but with the new movies Blu-ray will be the winner. For comparison Dark Night DVD vs Blu-ray... for the picture Blu-ray costs a lot more and is slightly sharper, small details are more pronounced with Blu-ray but I am being picky. The only great thing about Blu-ray is how much DVD prices are droping. As DVDs are getting scarce, I will keep mine as there is some details that were best left alone. Aliens for example... The director did not want any more enhancement done the the movie (very strict about what can be done), so mostlikely there should not be much more enhancement done to the move when released in Blu-ray.

The only way your going to see differences between PS2, Toshiba, Samsung, and others is to hook each one up can compair directly. So many complain about settings and picture, but tvs are all different as is LED DLP. LCD is a problem child when comparing playback, and Plasma usually is too enhanced to make accurate approximations. Out of the box DLP is a bit over adjusted, but even left alone you can see major differences between various playback from sources.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #7486 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

I started playing around with audio at refrence levels and above with my LED DLP.

I tried this before and the audio was getting distorted so I could not detect what was happening at the time.

Now that I can play back audio at high levels, I noticed that the DLP screen seems to bounce. I thought that DLP was immune to magnetic fields but I know that my center is magnetically shielded but the left and right speakers are not and are close to the sides of the tv.

Could it be low frequency sound waves bouncing the screen? I did notice that when I stand 5 feet from the tv the center blasts some low frequency waves that I can feel.

Though I am only doing this at refrence levels any higher I feel like I am testing the new amp and speaker in "Back To The Future" and the tv screen gets blurry from shaking.

PS... My BD player just paused and continued... the center is on top of the BD player. This must be too much power

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #7487 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM

For those who had CEVA deliver their sets...
Do they show up in a CEVA truck or is it just some plain looking freight truck?
post #7488 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:

They arrived in a CEVA marked box truck with a sliding door like a garage door, up into the roof. 2 guys came. 1 guy stood on the back of the truck and 1 on the ground as they lowered it onto a dolly and brought it to my front door. I told them to take it downstairs and they were well coordinated to make it down the 4 steps. 1 guy started unboxing while the other asked to use the restroom. By the time the guy came out, the TV was ready to be moved. They easily moved it to the stand and left the packaging per my request (in case of problems/cut UPC out).

Took a whole 5 minutes. Great service. They even joked about what I was going to do with my old 47" classic RP (gigantic). Good guys.
post #7489 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Mine was an "Enterprise" rental truck.
post #7490 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech View Post

Hi,

I started playing around with audio at refrence levels and above with my LED DLP.

I tried this before and the audio was getting distorted so I could not detect what was happening at the time.

Now that I can play back audio at high levels, I noticed that the DLP screen seems to bounce. I thought that DLP was immune to magnetic fields but I know that my center is magnetically shielded but the left and right speakers are not and are close to the sides of the tv.

Could it be low frequency sound waves bouncing the screen? I did notice that when I stand 5 feet from the tv the center blasts some low frequency waves that I can feel.

Though I am only doing this at refrence levels any higher I feel like I am testing the new amp and speaker in "Back To The Future" and the tv screen gets blurry from shaking.

PS... My BD player just paused and continued... the center is on top of the BD player. This must be too much power

When my kids dance right in front of the TV, it can make the image bounce around relative to the bezel (not sure if the imaging system is on isolators and the TV itself is bouncing or if the reflector is just being distorted - I had the kids stop when I saw it). They have to be really close to the TV, though. I'm thinking you might need to mount the center on an isolating material, or just turn the volume down. My center is on a shelf below my TV, and I haven't seen anything like this as a result of the sound energy.
post #7491 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Just to inform anyone in the metropolitan NY and NJ area, Electronic Expo has dropped their price on the 61a750 to $1054 and the 67a750 is now listed as $1480. If only I had waited two more days!!
post #7492 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lriker View Post

Just to inform anyone in the metropolitan NY and NJ area, Electronic Expo has dropped their price on the 61a750 to $1054 and the 67a750 is now listed as $1480. If only I had waited two more days!!

Thanks for the info. However, the shipping is:

$199.99 Saver, 7-12 business day insured "curbside" freight delivery
$420.48 Expedited, 3-7 business day insured "curbside" freight delivery
$630.72 Expedited, 3-7 business day insured "inside" front door freight delivery
$1,331.52 Expedited, 3-7 business day insured "white glove & room of choice" freight delivery
$2,592.96 Rush, 2-3 business day insured "need it very fast" air freight delivery

FWIW, Amazon dropped price to $1,274.69
post #7493 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:

I got mine from Electronic Expo for $1210 shipped, the entire transaction was quick and painless, I'd highly recommend. They used Manna Distribution Services and a local courier for delivery.
post #7494 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khiyal View Post

Thanks for the info. However, the shipping is:

$199.99 Saver, 7-12 business day insured "curbside" freight delivery
$420.48 Expedited, 3-7 business day insured "curbside" freight delivery
$630.72 Expedited, 3-7 business day insured "inside" front door freight delivery
$1,331.52 Expedited, 3-7 business day insured "white glove & room of choice" freight delivery
$2,592.96 Rush, 2-3 business day insured "need it very fast" air freight delivery

FWIW, Amazon dropped price to $1,274.69

I do realize the shipping cost is high, however for those that live in the area new the willowbrook mall in northern nj, all you have to do is pay the 6% sales tax and pick it up. I originally bought mine at PC Richards for 1269 (they matched an earilier price ee had it for) I spoke to them and they are going to refund me the difference that I paid for it - 234$. So if worthwhile to anybody, PCR will match that price. Just be willing to walk out the store if they say no and trust they will, they did for me.
post #7495 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:

I do realize the shipping cost is high, however for those that live in the area new the willowbrook mall in northern nj, all you have to do is pay the 6% sales tax and pick it up. I originally bought mine at PC Richards for 1269 (they matched an earilier price ee had it for) I spoke to them and they are going to refund me the difference that I paid for it - 234$. So if worthwhile to anybody, PCR will match that price. Just be willing to walk out the store if they say no and trust they will, they did for me.

So, technically, if I order online and do a pickup, there should be no tax for NY. Will have to check.
post #7496 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mine came in a cargo van. Two guys carried it in, unboxed it, and gently sat it on my stand. Very professional and quick.

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
post #7497 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Increased to $1,078.69
post #7498 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 PM

My 61 from Crutchfield arrived via Ceva today. The experience couldn't have been better. Two guys arrived in a large van, got the TV setup for me, and we actually watched a bit of SportsCenter HD for a few minutes.

I am in awe at the picture straight out of the box. Amazing. I couldn't be happier, and the wife is quite pleased with it as well. She'd wanted a flat panel, but this set is perfectly fine for our space, and takes up much less room than our old 55" Mits.

Waiting these days has been agony for me, as I've watched this thread and people reporting getting their sets. I even saw a fellow with one in the back of a pickup while I was driving home from Grand Prairie the other day. I can only assume he got it from Conn's. I'd missed out on the first go-around, so I ordered from Crutchfield. I got this from their outlet delivered to my door for only $80 more than I would have gotten from Conn's, and I would have had to drive halfway across DFW and arrange a friend with a pickup to pick it up. This worked out quite well for me.

I can't wait do get my new TV stand in the next couple of days, so I can get my audio equipment hooked up and get to tweaking on the set. Listening to the onboard audio is a bit painful. But I am in love with this TV. Thanks for all the tips and info from all of you.
post #7499 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elguapo361 View Post

My 61 from Crutchfield arrived via Ceva today. The experience couldn't have been better. Two guys arrived in a large van, got the TV setup for me, and we actually watched a bit of SportsCenter HD for a few minutes.

I am in awe at the picture straight out of the box. Amazing. I couldn't be happier, and the wife is quite pleased with it as well. She'd wanted a flat panel, but this set is perfectly fine for our space, and takes up much less room than our old 55" Mits.

Waiting these days has been agony for me, as I've watched this thread and people reporting getting their sets. I even saw a fellow with one in the back of a pickup while I was driving home from Grand Prairie the other day. I can only assume he got it from Conn's. I'd missed out on the first go-around, so I ordered from Crutchfield. I got this from their outlet delivered to my door for only $80 more than I would have gotten from Conn's, and I would have had to drive halfway across DFW and arrange a friend with a pickup to pick it up. This worked out quite well for me.

I can't wait do get my new TV stand in the next couple of days, so I can get my audio equipment hooked up and get to tweaking on the set. Listening to the onboard audio is a bit painful. But I am in love with this TV. Thanks for all the tips and info from all of you.

What was the TV shipped in? (original box?) Since it was from Crutchfield Outlet it was most likely a return according to their website. What condition is it in?
post #7500 of 15734 Old 01-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Mine was an "Enterprise" rental truck.

I guess the folks who got a CEVA truck is within their delivery area or an area where they have a office.
THe ones who gets the plain or rental trucks are deliveries that are sub-contracted out by CEVA to more remote areas...
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page