Forum Jump: 

post #7651 of 15718 Old 01-28-2009, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Where did you get that stand and what's the width and height?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15549976

came out to 55 5/8" and 18" tall after i got it together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7652 of 15718 Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissmr View Post

The Overview Axiom Scene on the Wall*e Bluray I believe. It is the show off movie for this set.

Those fly through scenes are great. Here's a shot from The Wild. Again, not a great picture but, it's the best my camera will do.

The pattern of human vice and folly is to make impulsive choices based upon inflated conceits about what they know and then make defensive excuses for their bad choices. Break the cycle.
post #7653 of 15718 Old 01-28-2009, 11:26 PM

Hello everyone,

My first post here.
I just got my 61" LED DLP a few days ago through Conns $999 sale.
I must admit, I am very happy with this DLP TV and glad I did not buy an LCD TV. ( I Was going for a Toshiba 52" 120 hz LCD)

The picture is awesome, sound is OK.
So far I noticed three issues. I may have some setting messed up?

1) I was surfing through channel with the remote and the TV turned OFF, I pressed the channel up button again and it turned back ON. this only happened once.
firmware is 1007.4

2) I am not sue if it is the TV or I have something set wrong, but as I change through the standard cable channel (time warner ), some channels are 4:3 ratio others are 16.9 and some are 16:9 ration but not filling the screen fully ( about 3/4 of the total screen) I have never noticed such thing on my previous Toshiba rear projection TV.

3) no sound on HDMI3 /PC
on this I followed the manual to hook up my PC.
from PC - DVI to HDMI cable- to HDMI3 on the TV. My video card radeon HD 3870 is capable producing 1080P signal. The picture is perfect. but there is no sound.
I used audio-out from the PC ----to the port just above HDMI3 port marked DVI-in audio , this is a stereo RCA connector. NO sound on TV.
PC is set up correctly and producing sound, if I take this RCA connector and plug it to my home theater amp, it works fine.
What can it be the problem?

Thanks for your help in advance.
post #7654 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 05:58 AM

Well, we enjoyed our first evening with our new 61A750. However, this morning just before leaving for work we turned it on and the color is all screwy...my wife reports no reds are showing up at all. Also, I was still unable to get the HDMI2 or HDMI/DVI port to work with my DirecTV HR21 receiver, so the receiver is still hooked up with component cables. Hopefully there's just a loose component cable or something, I'll go by the house over lunch and check it out.
post #7655 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Mater View Post

It's normal. What your seeing is the top portion of the image reflecting off of the mirror behind the black bar. It's present on every set but not everyone notices it. Overly bright settings will obviously create a brighter reflection so having correct settings will reduce it. A proper vertical viewing angle is important too.

As for fixing it, I suppose you could limo tint the bars to completely black them out. While your at it maybe add some chrome, throw on some pin striping, maybe a flame job and then slam that beeotch!!!

Really? Normal? I don't have any, period. Can you take a screen shot of the issue? What content are you playing when you see it. I have thrown in half a dozen 2:35 movies and there is no bleed into the black bars even when I walk to within 1 foot of the set. 2:35 content on D* also does not bleed for me.

I realize from the multiple posts that people indeed have the issue, but I'm not so sure it's "normal." In the old CRT RPTVs, this sort of thing along with halos was dealt with by lining the inside of the set with duvetyne (a very black velour material used in the film and photagrapy industries to keep out unwanted light). Perhaps these sets could be lined for this issue...

post #7656 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger42 View Post

Just so I understand - when the bars are displayed and I switch to blue-only mode all the bars will be different shades of blue? Then I adjust color and tint only to try to get all the bars to match in brightness, so they all look the same shade of blue?

Not exactly. Display the color bars and turn on blue mode. You use the "color" control to adjust the white(gray)/blue split bars (#1 and #7 counting from the left) until the bars are a single shade of blue from top to bottom (or as close as possible to a single shade). Next you use the "tint" control to adjust the cyan/magenta bars (#3 and #5 from the left) until they are a solid shade of blue from top to bottom (or as close as possible to a single shade). Next recheck/readjust the white/blue bars and the color control because there might be some interaction between color and tint. Keep going back and forth between color and tint adjustments until you get as little change as possible when making changes with either control.

Edit: These instructions apply to the original SMPTE bars as shown in the wiki article. For the HD SMPTE pattern it is not as easy. In that case, you still want blue/white bars of the same shade using color control and cyan/magenta bars of the same shade using the tint control. Oddly enough, I had not seen the HD SMPTE pattern before.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #7657 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

I looked at the UPC sticker on my box and it seems to be double wide and wrapped around the corner of the box so that the same information can be seen from each of the sides.

Are you guys and gals cutting the entire sticker off to mail in for the NFL credit, or just half of it?

post #7658 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2fly View Post

Hello everyone,

My first post here.
I just got my 61" LED DLP a few days ago through Conns $999 sale.
I must admit, I am very happy with this DLP TV and glad I did not buy an LCD TV. ( I Was going for a Toshiba 52" 120 hz LCD)

3) no sound on HDMI3 /PC
on this I followed the manual to hook up my PC.
from PC - DVI to HDMI cable- to HDMI3 on the TV. My video card radeon HD 3870 is capable producing 1080P signal. The picture is perfect. but there is no sound.
I used audio-out from the PC ----to the port just above HDMI3 port marked DVI-in audio , this is a stereo RCA connector. NO sound on TV.
PC is set up correctly and producing sound, if I take this RCA connector and plug it to my home theater amp, it works fine.
What can it be the problem?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I have a similar setup and it is working. Are you certain the Display volume is turned up?

I have an IBM laptop in a port replicator, with DVI out to HDMI3 on the Display, and headphone 3.5mm out to stereo RCA plugs into the DVI/sound on the Display.

Good luck
post #7659 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post

I looked at the UPC sticker on my box and it seems to be double wide and wrapped around the corner of the box so that the same information can be seen from each of the sides.

Are you guys and gals cutting the entire sticker off to mail in for the NFL credit, or just half of it?

Wondered about this myself. It's the same info on each side of the label.
post #7660 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Really? Normal? I don't have any, period. Can you take a screen shot of the issue? What content are you playing when you see it. I have thrown in half a dozen 2:35 movies and there is no bleed into the black bars even when I walk to within 1 foot of the set. 2:35 content on D* also does not bleed for me.

I realize from the multiple posts that people indeed have the issue, but I'm not so sure it's "normal." In the old CRT RPTVs, this sort of thing along with halos was dealt with by lining the inside of the set with duvetyne (a very black velour material used in the film and photagrapy industries to keep out unwanted light). Perhaps these sets could be lined for this issue...

Is your set calibrated? Every set has the reflection but it's not always noticed or given a second thought. It's the nature of the set. You cannot take care of it by lining the cabinet as it's not a reflection from the cabinet but the mirror directly behind the black bar. If you want it pointed out, take a shot of your set in Dynamic with the camera pointed straight at the bar and post it here. To make it more apparent, shoot it in a darkened room and make sure you have something bright in the image which reaches the black bar. It's caused by the close proximity of the mirror to the screen, the brightness of the image, as well as the angle at which the mirror and projected image is aimed. You basically get a repeat of the top 2 3/4" of the picture and about 1 1/4" of the black bar though dramatically dimmer and extremely blurry. If I get a chance I'll draw a section view of the set, outline the cause and post it here.

The pattern of human vice and folly is to make impulsive choices based upon inflated conceits about what they know and then make defensive excuses for their bad choices. Break the cycle.
post #7661 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artjohn View Post

I have a similar setup and it is working. Are you certain the Display volume is turned up?

I have an IBM laptop in a port replicator, with DVI out to HDMI3 on the Display, and headphone 3.5mm out to stereo RCA plugs into the DVI/sound on the Display.

Good luck

Yes of course , the volume is turned up.
What else can it be the problem?
post #7662 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes of course , the volume is turned up.
What else can it be the problem?

I know the following seems obvious, but sometimes it's the obvious that people overlook, so here goes...

I think he's asking if the volume on the TV is turned up, not your AV amp (you mentioned plugging into the AV amp and it works, so we know you have one and most people don't use the TV speakers when they do).

So is the TV volume turned up and also is the TV sound not disabled?

post #7663 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 AM

Why don't you try connecting your headphone jack to the TV like the guy who was successful to see if that works for you. If so, then it probably has to do with whether your signal is amped.
post #7664 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 AM

Does anyone have a link to Conn's ad for the 61" at $999? I will try to see if bestbuy can do a price match as they told me yesterday that conn's is in their list of businesses with whom they do price match. While there is no conn's in this area, still they mentioned that they just did a price match with Fry's for someone after seeing their print ad so I may also try and it may work as there is no Fry's here as well (NE)

A google for conn's ad does show an ad for the 23rd of Jan but it does not list this model.
post #7665 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 AM

I only cut out the one side of the label. I kept the other one for myself. I am hoping that will work. I sent the rebate request in last week.
post #7666 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:

I know the following seems obvious, but sometimes it's the obvious that people overlook, so here goes...

I think he's asking if the volume on the TV is turned up, not your AV amp (you mentioned plugging into the AV amp and it works, so we know you have one and most people don't use the TV speakers when they do).

Most people using a receiver would have the TV sound disabled so I guess the question is will the TV pass the sound from the PC audio input to the TV RCA analog audio outputs which I would think would be connected to the receiver. That's how I have my TV setup with the TV analog audio outputs going into the "VCR" input on my receiver. So for example with the Wii connected to Component-2 the analog audio passes through the TV, out the TV analog audio output and into the receiver. That works for me even with the TV speakers disabled. I'm assuming the PC audio input would work the same way.
post #7667 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khiyal View Post

Does anyone have a link to Conn's ad for the 61" at $999? I will try to see if bestbuy can do a price match as they told me yesterday that conn's is in their list of businesses with whom they do price match. While there is no conn's in this area, still they mentioned that they just did a price match with Fry's for someone after seeing their print ad so I may also try and it may work as there is no Fry's here as well (NE)

A google for conn's ad does show an ad for the 23rd of Jan but it does not list this model.

If you can't find the ad online another option would be to have someone scan it for you. That is assuming they mail print ads (I don't know).
post #7668 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khiyal View Post

You will not find the DLPs on Conn's website
These were advertised in their print ad and I believe a regional sale too.
I don't know if BB will match that price since Conn's really does not do mail order do they?
post #7669 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger42 View Post

If you can't find the ad online another option would be to have someone scan it for you. That is assuming they mail print ads (I don't know).

If I had someone I know in TX, that would be real easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

You will not find the DLPs on Conn's website
These were advertised in their print ad and I believe a regional sale too.
I don't know if BB will match that price since Conn's really does not do mail order do they?

I guess you are right. Fry's does ship throughout the US. Still, I may try if I get hold of the scan.
post #7670 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just half of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Wondered about this myself. It's the same info on each side of the label.

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #7671 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 09:44 AM

My 61A750 is now delivered, set up and working good now I also bought a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver and a Samsung Blu Ray DVD Player BD-P2500, and have cable with HD/DVR and the old standby VCR (for the old home movies).

However, the set's appearance could be better though calibration, plus I also have a new Harmony 890 remote and would like to dial in the surround sound, etc. So I put an ad on Craigslist gigs board looking for professional help and got this response:

"We'll use a spider calibration tool to custom calibrate your new TV for all of your video components. DVD players, cableboxes and other video components have different color levels. We make sure that they will all work. For the two hundred dollar price we'll do up to three components. Second, we'll program your Harmony remote to work with all of your home theater components. Additionally, we show you how to use it. This will likely take a few hours to complete."

The guys original quote was $300 for calibration and 150. for the remaining, and I said no way.

I don't know anything about calibration and whether or not it's the right way to do it or the spider tool is alive with 8 legs I'm an average Joe when it comes to these kind of issues, and don't want to toss two Franklin's out if it's not a good value. Your thoughts, HD tech gurus?

I also picked up the disk titled "DVE HD BASICS" based on recommendations soemwhere in this thread, but haven't had time yet to watch and do. I'll give this a chance before I hire anyone, but I might need professional assistance to fine tune the whole enchilada.
post #7672 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoosc21 View Post

Well, we enjoyed our first evening with our new 61A750. However, this morning just before leaving for work we turned it on and the color is all screwy...my wife reports no reds are showing up at all. Also, I was still unable to get the HDMI2 or HDMI/DVI port to work with my DirecTV HR21 receiver, so the receiver is still hooked up with component cables. Hopefully there's just a loose component cable or something, I'll go by the house over lunch and check it out.

Thankfully, the problem was just a loose component cable in the back of D* box.

Now to figure out why the grid .jpg file from page 1 is unrecognized...
post #7673 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM

My new toy...

Samsung HL-67A750
Bush VS74962 Stand
Denon AVR-1082
Denon POA-8300
Denon POA-8200
Denon POA-5200 (future expansion if we ever move and I go to 7.1)
Denon 1800BD Blu-Ray Player
Denon CDR-W1500 CD Recorder
Monster HTS 1800 Stage 2 Power
Monster HTS 1000 MKII Power
Comcast DCT3416
Klipsch SUB-12
Klipsch VC-25 Center Channel
Bose Acoustimass 5 - Fronts
Bose Acoustimass 5 - Rears
Bose 301 Series IV - Music listening only
Xbox 360 Elite
Logitech Harmony One

Took lots of years and lots of saving. Dad always comes last.
post #7674 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRasta View Post

Are those all stacked on top of each other (no shelves)? Don't you worry about the weight and also heat with so little space in between each?
post #7675 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My new toy...

Very Nice setup..
You love to stackem & stackem High
No Heat Issues?

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #7676 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM

[quote=Khiyal;15684985]If I had someone I know in TX, that would be real easy
QUOTE]

I just thew out my Sunday paper with the Conn's ad last night
post #7677 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Mater View Post

Those fly through scenes are great. Here's a shot from The Wild. Again, not a great picture but, it's the best my camera will do.

If you don't mind, what camera are you using, and what settings?
post #7678 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:

TV sound turned up , TV sound not disabled, I normally listen to TV sound for cable broadcast, TV sound is fine. We only crank up the surround sound amp when we watch a movie that has surround sound and that is through optical cable from the DVD player.(DLP is also hook to amp via optical)
From DVd player to DLP --- hdmi cable caries the sound fine, yes TV speaker is on and working.
PC is pluged from the rear audio port (out) to DVI RCA on the DLP TV, sound on PC is good,
I know that because that is how it was hooked up with my previous TV set (Toshiba RP) same cable , same PC.
When we play games on the PC we don't use the surround amp. I only plugged it into it to test .

I will try to plug it to the headset out port on the front of the PC see if that works.
post #7679 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

I just thew out my Sunday paper with the Conn's ad last night

Too bad Oh well, something will definitely happen if it has to happen. Fingers crossed
post #7680 of 15718 Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:

TV sound turned up , TV sound not disabled, I normally listen to TV sound for cable broadcast, TV sound is fine. We only crank up the surround sound amp when we watch a movie that has surround sound and that is through optical cable from the DVD player.(DLP is also hook to amp via optical)
From DVd player to DLP --- hdmi cable caries the sound fine, yes TV speaker is on and working.
PC is pluged from the rear audio port (out) to DVI RCA on the DLP TV, sound on PC is good,
I know that because that is how it was hooked up with my previous TV set (Toshiba RP) same cable , same PC.
When we play games on the PC we don't use the surround amp. I only plugged it into it to test .

I will try to plug it to the headset out port on the front of the PC see if that works.

what video card do you have?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page