New TV stand from IEKA let the debate begin..solid wood vs particle board

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80133548
post #7743 of 15746 Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM
dud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was considering the Crutchfield route to buy this (the 750) TV until this evening ... until I found out it is "Discontinued". The HL61A650 is still available though.

Oh well ...
post #7744 of 15746 Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethios View Post

I am considering buying this TV and would like to know what stand you guys are using for it.

Just so you all know I looked through the stand thread and had no real luck. The ones I saw were for smaller sets or lcd/plasma sets.

I would really like a stand that is very sturdy, and I have heard mixed reviews about the Samsung stands not being able to handle the weight of the '61 in.

-Thanks

This is what I have:

http://www.csnstores.com/Bush-Furnit...3-BU2089.html#
post #7745 of 15746 Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 PM

Hi everyone. As I wrote before, my TV arrived today, and I let it sit for two hours looking pretty all by itself with no picture displayed so it could warm up from the winter weather here before turning it on. Here are my initial impressions ...

Setup: My dog could have done it. It was really that easy. Turn it on, select a few extremely simple things, let it scan the available cable channels, and that's it. I still have some tweaking to do with the colors and all that jazz, but it's largely set where I like it. When I first hooked up the BD player I got a bunch of sparkles on the screen. However, with this resource (ACS forum), I knew to try another HDMI cable. Easy fix, no more problem.

Sound: I was able to get completely acceptable audio quality. Sure, it's not going to sound like my surround system does, of course, but for normal TV viewing it's just fine for our needs.

Geometry: Wonderful. The downloaded grid image showed almost exact distances from the bezel when compared at the corners. There was some slight bowing, but not excessive (only about 3/16" max over the entire vertical and horizontal spans - perfectly acceptable). After reading some comments from other owners about geometric problems, I was actually surprised that mine is as good as it is. There is a bit of overscan, but that was expected. Nothing to complain about though.

Convergence: It's off a little bit in the corners. But, unlike my old Hitachi 57" RPTV, the red, green and blue lines are in sharp focus. It's not really that noticeable during normal viewing.

Viewing: I'll cover this in a few separate sections. For informational purposes only, I have a new Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray player hooked up to it and just regular cable (no digital cable - yet).

Blue-ray: The only BD I have at the moment is Day After Tomorrow, which I bought today. In a word: Astonishing! The picture was extremely clear, MUCH better than I ever got with my Hitachi 57", even when it was new. Colors were great, images were sharp, and I noticed absolutely NO rainbow effects. For myself, I could imagine a better picture, even at the movies.

DVD: I put in several discs from my collection - Independence Day, Nell, Sabrina, Coming To America, and The Mask. Each one looked great on the set. Picture quality wasn't the same as when watching Day After Tomorrow, but it was better than I imagined it would be, with the 67" screen and all. I did notice that color depth was a bit lacking, so I set up the Dynamic mode for use with regular DVDs.

Cable TV: In a word: Awful. Colors are bad, no amount of tweaking could get it anywhere near where I wanted. The QAM tuner helped though. With my cable service I can get a few digital channels, including the local channels. (And I'm thrilled about that - it means I can watch the Super Bowl in all its hi-def glory!) I had no color problems with the HD channels, only SD. We will likely be getting digital cable installed in the near future though, and if so, that will be that.

Other: One was kind of a good thing/bad thing. Good: By accident, I found that the TV remote could control my different-brand BD player. Bad: The TV remote doesn't have a skip (next/previous chapter) button. No biggie though, I can always use the BD player's remote.

Complaints:

1. The convergence issue. I really wish it could be fixed. Would a good calibration take care of that? And, while not a complaint, would a calibration take care of the overscan as well?

2. While watching some DVDs (The Mask is one example) that are "letterboxed", I couldn't use the ZOOM1 setting. It was greyed out, so I had to watch it with black bars all around. Just Scan only stretched it wide and short, and the other options were no better. That movie - and others I have, I'm sure - need ZOOM1 to fill the screen properly, but it's not available. I tried different settings on the TV and the BD player to no avail. If I'm not doing something wrong, then it's a shame. I should be able to use ZOOM1 all the time if I like, I should think.

3. My Goffin's cockatoo is afraid of it.

Summary: I'm thrilled with this TV! I was looking at various plasma TVs as well, and got down to two TVs - the HL67A750 and the Sammy PN63A650 plasma. Now, we all know that store setups don't necessarily show how a set will look when it's in your home, and I knew that going in. I went to a local store and viewed both TVs for an extended period of time. The store changed programs (digital cable) from time to time for other customers, and I was able to get a good comparison that way. I noticed that the plasma looked better on some things, and the DLP looked better on others. I liked both, so it was really a toss-up. What it boiled down to, for me, was that I could get a 4-inch larger screen and spend $1300 less. I went with the DLP, and I couldn't be happier! Well, unless I could get my two complaints fixed. I'm not worried about the bird.

Thanks to everyone for the help! Even if you don't think you helped me, you did.

Now excuse me, I'm going to watch another movie on my fabulous new TV.
post #7746 of 15746 Old 01-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by swipesy View Post

3. My Goffin's cockatoo is afraid of it.

My cat gets very nervous in front on the TV when there is a person on the screen. He didn't mind at all on my 15 year old Hitchi 50" Ultravision
post #7747 of 15746 Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I ordered my 61" on 1-20-09 from Crutchfield and got in line with everyone else for the back ordered sets. Today just like every day since I checked on the link for the TV and was shocked it said the 61A750 was in stock. I then checked my email to see that I had the availability notification email. Then I checked my card and saw a charge for 1299.99 from Crutchfield I have not received anything from Crutchfield but thought I would play it cool

For anyone who also ordered from Crutchfield: How long after you were charged did you receive an email or call to advise your set was shipped? And how long until you received call from shipping company?

Oh the excitement
post #7748 of 15746 Old 01-29-2009, 09:27 PM

I am so sick of seeing the "NOT AVAILABLE" pop up on the screen! I cant believe I am going to have to watch the superbowl with this. ARGH!! The samsung repair man cant get here quick enough
post #7749 of 15746 Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok.... here is one draw back to my new DLP.

Even tho I have crappy standard cable- time warner, The TV found some HD channels about 4-6.

I am watching Conan O'brian right now , and the dude looks scary in HD.
This is my first time seeing standard broadcast such as NBC in high def,
People/ actors/ TV show hosts look different in HD. Almost 3D like.
Every wrinkle and skin imperfection shows up.

Darn !!!! the colors are so real. No wonder cats and birds are scared of this TV.
I am scared of Conan.

post #7750 of 15746 Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Has anybody ever found a firm answer on this? TI introduced the DC4 chip in September 2007. I can't find anything to confirm one way or another.
post #7751 of 15746 Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Has anybody ever found a firm answer on this? TI introduced the DC4 chip in September 2007. I can't find anything to confirm one way or another.

Page 1 confirms it, doesn't it?

- Does this set use the new TI DarkChip4?
No. From looking at the service manual, it appears that the chip is the same as last years set, which would be DarkChip3.
See this post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post13922332
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ
The service manual says the DLP chip in the HLT6189S, HL61A750, & HL67A750 is the same: xHD5 (search AVS for more info on it).

However, the "image enhancer" IC is new in the new models. Maybe better scaling/deinterlacing? Maybe lower cost? Maybe they stopped making the previous IC? The new IC is referred to as "BAYHILL+".
post #7752 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2fly View Post

Even tho I have crappy standard cable- time warner, The TV found some HD channels about 4-6.

Darn !!!! the colors are so real. No wonder cats and birds are scared of this TV.
I am scared of Conan.

LOL!!!! Dude you made my day. My wife actually thinks something is wrong with our Sammy because the news anchors look old all of a sudden.
post #7753 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 03:54 AM

I went with this stand for my 67" and I'm very happy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085296252

This one would probably work for the 61".

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1164155963232
post #7754 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud View Post

Was considering the Crutchfield route to buy this (the 750) TV until this evening ... until I found out it is "Discontinued". The HL61A650 is still available though.

Oh well ...

Discontinued??? Here is my source, I TOTALLY vouch for him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-HL-67A75...3%3A1|294%3A50
post #7755 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:

1. The convergence issue. I really wish it could be fixed. Would a good calibration take care of that? And, while not a complaint, would a calibration take care of the overscan as well?

2. While watching some DVDs (The Mask is one example) that are "letterboxed", I couldn't use the ZOOM1 setting. It was greyed out, so I had to watch it with black bars all around. Just Scan only stretched it wide and short, and the other options were no better. That movie - and others I have, I'm sure - need ZOOM1 to fill the screen properly, but it's not available. I tried different settings on the TV and the BD player to no avail. If I'm not doing something wrong, then it's a shame. I should be able to use ZOOM1 all the time if I like, I should think.

Convergence can not be adjusted by any setting....it's all a part of your TV's optics and the light engine itself, there's no digital way to adjust the light engine.

As for enabling zoom....turn off the 1080p upconversion feature of the DVD player and just pass 480p....then zooming will be enabled.
post #7756 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethios View Post

I am considering buying this TV and would like to know what stand you guys are using for it.

Just so you all know I looked through the stand thread and had no real luck. The ones I saw were for smaller sets or lcd/plasma sets.

I would really like a stand that is very sturdy, and I have heard mixed reviews about the Samsung stands not being able to handle the weight of the '61 in.

-Thanks

Right now I'm using this one, it seems to be pretty sturdy but its a real dust magnet. It looks nice with the tv but I'll probably get something different before long.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165609791326

I kind of like this stand here and its reasonably priced as well :

http://www.ashleyfurniture.com/Showr...atPageNumber=6
post #7757 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:

DVD: I put in several discs from my collection - Independence Day, Nell, Sabrina, Coming To America, and The Mask. Each one looked great on the set. Picture quality wasn't the same as when watching Day After Tomorrow, but it was better than I imagined it would be, with the 67" screen and all. I did notice that color depth was a bit lacking, so I set up the Dynamic mode for use with regular DVDs.

Strange, I have the Sony BDP-S550 and I think SD DVD's look horrendous and thats on the 61" I cant imagine what it would be like on the 67". I dont think I'm being picky either, the picture is visibly extremely grainy and thats connecting via HDMI too. For the fun of it I threw a composite cable on there and put in the Matrix DVD, the picture is so crappy you can barely tell the difference between Trinity and Morpheus.
post #7758 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 06:04 AM

I was going to get one from Crutchfield until I saw that Conns was selling the 61 for 999.

The add ran week before last and they had ordered 7500 for the DFW warehouse. The salesman told me that Conns got a deal for buying the remaining inventory from Samsung.

I don't know if there still selling it for that price but its worth a look, the difference will pay for you stand.
post #7759 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 06:11 AM

Hey guys, thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. Well, I've had two nights to evaluate the 61A750. Just as discussed here, the set has a wonderful picture. However, I am considering exchanging the set through Amazon due to the following issues:

1. The HDMI2 port does not seem to be working. I get a "No Signal" response even after moving a working cable from HDMI1 (which is working). When moving this cable back to HDMI1 it worked again. So there seems to be a problem with the port. The HDMI3 port worked once but not a second time; I need to check it again.

This is a big issue because I run my D* box directly to the set, with an optical cable to my receiver. This gives us the option of leaving the receiver off if one of us is sleeping. Right now I'm using component cables, but the Just Scan option does not seem to be available unless using HDMI.

2. There is a noticeable vertical bowing problem on 4:3 viewing, up to 1/2" variance on DirecTV standard def programs. The bowing on my Casablanca HD-DVD was slightly better but still noticeable.

3. There is a slight tilt issue, about 1/8" descending from left to right. Also, vertical geometry per the grid pattern is off.

My questions: given the above fact pattern, would those of you who have taken delivery from Amazon do an exchange? Am I likely to get better results with a replacement set?

Also: what is the most efficient way to check and see if Overscan is reasonable?

When moving this thing in my house, the delivery guy tilted the set on its side in its container; could this have caused or exacerbated the tilt/geometry problem?

Any other thoughts on my situation?
post #7760 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2fly View Post

I am scared of Conan.

lol, now you will start seeing what I call the "Anchor HD effect."

You will begin to notice that some Anchors, mostly the women, will be in soft focus where everthing else on the program including the male anchor right next to them is sharp as a tack. On CNN for example, Lou Dobbs is always in soft focus where other anchors like John Roberts are in sharp detail. I find it looks very much like the original Star Trek program where all the women were shot through a gel filter to soften their features (and flaws) while Kirk and male crew members were in normal focus.

Enjoy!

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7761 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud View Post

Oh well ...

They are back in stock. Hurry!!!
post #7762 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit373 View Post

Convergence can not be adjusted by any setting....it's all a part of your TV's optics and the light engine itself, there's no digital way to adjust the light engine.

As for enabling zoom....turn off the 1080p upconversion feature of the DVD player and just pass 480p....then zooming will be enabled.

I have my DVD player hooked to the TV with both the HDMI and component cables. For those discs that are not 16:9, I just switch to the component input.

-Bill
post #7763 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBounds View Post

Strange, I have the Sony BDP-S550 and I think SD DVD's look horrendous and thats on the 61" I cant imagine what it would be like on the 67". I dont think I'm being picky either, the picture is visibly extremely grainy and thats connecting via HDMI too. For the fun of it I threw a composite cable on there and put in the Matrix DVD, the picture is so crappy you can barely tell the difference between Trinity and Morpheus.

I'm at work now so I can't get too specific, but on the S350 there are three different noise reduction settings in the setup screens. I don't remember exactly how they're listed or where they are, but they're all off by default. I turned all three on (to Auto, I think) and that made all the difference in the world.

The first time I put in Sabrina my wife and I noticed how grainy the picture was. Then, later, I was poking around in the S350's settings, found the NR settings were off, turned them on, put Sabrina back in, and was amazed at how much better it looked. Another thing I did when watching regular DVDs was to increase sharpness over 50.

Now, both my wife and I feel DVD picture quality is quite enjoyable. We think so much of the PQ on regular DVDs now that our new policy is going to be to buy standard DVD first (because we have three other standard DVD players) and try them on the 67". If they look as good as Sabrina does, then we won't bother getting the Blu-ray versions.

Comparing this new DVD setup with my old RPTV, they're not even close. Regular DVDs look 100 times better than on the old set.
post #7764 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 06:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

This is what I have:

http://www.csnstores.com/Bush-Furnit...3-BU2089.html#

Built my own..originally for my Toshiba DLP (now in the basement)...corner installation... the shelving unit I built sits underneath the stand and is "floating" so I can pull it out to work on wires etc...

Exitus acta probat...
post #7765 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecrest View Post

I have my DVD player hooked to the TV with both the HDMI and component cables. For those discs that are not 16:9, I just switch to the component input.

-Bill

Great suggestion. I'll try that. Thanks Bill!
post #7766 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit373 View Post

That's disappointing, but I can live with it. Thanks!
post #7767 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

They are back in stock. Hurry!!!

This is sure strange that they show them discontinued for a week, then they have them again for 6 hours yesterday, then they are discontinued again, now they have them again this morning.
post #7768 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkazepis View Post

Built my own..originally for my Toshiba DLP (now in the basement)...corner installation... the shelving unit I built sits underneath the stand and is "floating" so I can pull it out to work on wires etc...

Setup looks great........is that the 61"?
post #7769 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkazepis View Post

I wanted a stand that was slightly wider than the display, I needed doors so my kids couldn't touch anything, and it needed to match my other furniture. I've been very happy with the one I have.
post #7770 of 15746 Old 01-30-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

This is sure strange that they show them discontinued for a week, then they have them again for 6 hours yesterday, then they are discontinued again, now they have them again this morning.

My brother in law is ready to buy - but is nervous that these will go back-ordered if he buys from here...thoughts?

If they say in stock on the website - is he good to go?

J. Michael Henry

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page