Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampanella View Post

Somehow my cable box went to 720p. I switched it back to 1080i and then this morning it jumped to 720p again. I don't know why?

I had this same problem, connecting a Tivo Series 3 to a Yamaha receiver, then to the Sammy 61A750, all via hdmi. I could set the Tivo to 1080i, but after an off/on cycle of the TV and receiver it would revert to 720p. I had the same issue with a Blu-ray player which would reset from 1080p to 1080i. I was running everything from a universal remote, so pushing one button turned everything on (the Tivo was always on).

The problem was apparently that the hdmi would handshake on power-up, and the TV wouldn't be fully booted up and thus wouldn't acknowledge its capabilities, forcing the components to default to some safe value. My solution after trial and error was to power the TV first, wait 8 seconds (6 wasn't enough), then power the receiver. Settings are now stable.

Sennat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 View Post

That looks great! From where did you order it and how much did it run you, if you don't mind my asking?

It's a looker isn't it? Just enter the model number, PVS-4216, on the amazon site. It comes with free shipping. Note that there is only 7 1/4" clearance between the shelves. My center channel speaker and A/V receiver will just barely fit. I'll probably put a fan behind the receiver.

Buzz

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #903 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 AM

Hey, all.

Thanks for this forum. I just found it two days ago, and have browsed through it but have not seen any posts with exactly my question.

I got the HL61A750 in May, and it is a great all-around set. I love using it as my PC monitor with a wireless keyboard and mouse. My techie friends are so jealous that I have a 61" screen.

I have a Wii, and with a component cable it looks great.

I also bought a PS3 for the Blu-Ray playback. I have been loving the detail of Blu-Ray, BUT...

I spent the weekend at a friend's in Nashville. He has a Samsung 46" LCD set, brand new (I don't know the model) and he also uses a PS3 as his Blu-Ray player. On his TV, the Blu-Ray's look absolutely life-like. Many scenes appear so clear and vivid, that it gives the sensation of being in the same room as the movies. You guys know what I am talking about, I am sure.

I have never had that level of visual quality or vividness on my HL61A750. I have tweaked settings using a "monster" calibration disk, and have used the settings from the first page of this forum, but still no dice.

So, is it possible, or is this a trade-off I made by going large LED as opposed to smaller LCD for comparable price?

I'm not complaining--I love having the big screen. But, if I can get that "life-like" Blu-Ray experience, OF COURSE I want to...

Thanks for any help.
GJ73
post #904 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 AM

Hello, I'm expecting my 67A750 on Wed. I tried searching in this thread but didn't find anything...but what are the workarounds for the set having only a single RF input?

I'd like to be able to switch between ATSC and QAM signals on the Sammy. I have a UHF antenna which worked well for OTA on my older Sony and I believe I'll be able to get QAM off my basic analog cable. (Never done any QAM tuning before so I'm clueless) I thought maybe an A/B Switch would do it...but the one I saw said it could only switch up to 900MHz RF. Is a QAM signal below 900MHz?
post #905 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 AM

Is it true that the Samsung DLP's do not have an internal auto Iris??
post #906 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemansjack73 View Post

Hey, all.

Thanks for this forum. I just found it two days ago, and have browsed through it but have not seen any posts with exactly my question.

I got the HL61A750 in May, and it is a great all-around set. I love using it as my PC monitor with a wireless keyboard and mouse. My techie friends are so jealous that I have a 61" screen.

I also bought a PS3 for the Blu-Ray playback. I have been loving the detail of Blu-Ray, BUT...

I spent the weekend at a friend's in Nashville. He has a Samsung 46" LCD set, brand new (I don't know the model) and he also uses a PS3 as his Blu-Ray player. On his TV, the Blu-Ray's look absolutely life-like. Many scenes appear so clear and vivid, that it gives the sensation of being in the same room as the movies. You guys know what I am talking about, I am sure.

I have never had that level of visual quality or vividness on my HL61A750. I have tweaked settings using a "monster" calibration disk, and have used the settings from the first page of this forum, but still no dice.

So, is it possible, or is this a trade-off I made by going large LED as opposed to smaller LCD for comparable price?

I'm not complaining--I love having the big screen. But, if I can get that "life-like" Blu-Ray experience, OF COURSE I want to...

Thanks for any help.
GJ73

In my opinion (for what it's worth) the monster calibration disk is junk. I got it as well because the store I went to didn't have the video essentials so I figured it would be an ok start. The problem with it is that it really doesn't give you very much control. Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness and a questionable color. The sharpness one is probably about the best of the 4 and that doesn't say much. I recalibrated after getting Video Essentials and the difference for contrast was about +10 brighter for VE (36 Monster, 46 VE). That alone made a huge difference to the picture. Monsters color has those three girls (one pale, one overly colorful and one normal) and they tell you to make sure that they look pale, normal and colorful. That's not a very exact way to determin whether things are properly colorized. The VE disk got me there correctly and I would never have even been close using the Monster disk.

Anyhow, after a long while fiddling with the Video Essentials, I have it pretty darn close (still need to do the full grey scale with a spider etc) and it looks amazingly better than before. The Monster disk is best used as a coaster for your favorite beverage..

--Steve
post #907 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey, all.

Thanks for any help.
GJ73

It sounds like you are looking for the "store" mode. Go into you picture settings menu and set the color scheme to "dynamic" - this should get you what you're looking for.
post #908 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 04:16 PM

I just hooked up my laptop to my Samsung via HDMI cable.
Video is fine, but there is no audio, isn't audio also supposed to process?
post #909 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie Lange View Post

Not ususally on a PC. On a Desktop PC you can have a audio connector going to the video card(at least with Nvidia) which injects the audio to the HDMI stream. I don't know what they do on a laptop.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #910 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie Lange View Post

Hi Artie,

Could you do me a favor? What kind of laptop do you have?

Could you also connect your laptop via VGA cable, then switch back and forth b/w HDMI and VGA and tell us if there's a discernable difference in text? In picture? In general?
post #911 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

It's a looker isn't it? Just enter the model number, PVS-4216, on the amazon site. It comes with free shipping. Note that there is only 7 1/4" clearance between the shelves. My center channel speaker and A/V receiver will just barely fit. I'll probably put a fan behind the receiver.

Buzz

Is it just me or is paying $250 - $350 ++ for a simple TV stand waay too high. I might be used to cheap prices, but it just seems so expensive that a stand would be 20% of the TV's price ($350 / $1700 for my 61")
post #912 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Not ususally on a PC. On a Desktop PC you can have a audio connector going to the video card(at least with Nvidia) which injects the audio to the HDMI stream. I don't know what they do on a laptop.

On my Asus C90S laptop, HDMI passes audio and video and is v. 1.3 spec.

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #913 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stisev View Post

Is it just me or is paying $250 - $350 ++ for a simple TV stand waay too high. I might be used to cheap prices, but it just seems so expensive that a stand would be 20% of the TV's price ($350 / $1700 for my 61")

Stands have been priced this way for many years. This is nothing new. If you want to get a decent stand, it costs a little bit of money. I just wish I could find the right stand. I'm not concerned about price as much as finding the right height and and the right clearance and width. It has been very difficult for me to find one that meets my requirements.

LED DLP

post #914 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

It cost me $500 in lumber to have my custom rack built when I bought my HLM507 back almost 6 yrs ago, made in a little wide so that I can upgrade to a larger TV in the future. Now I can purchase a up to a 67" with no problems. Luckily, I got the labor for free or this would have been a $2000 stand.

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #915 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I build simple furniture part time, and from the standpoint of time/labor involved, those stands would be WAY more expensive if they weren't mass produced.

Materials aren't cheap anymore either.

Couple shots of the stand and speakers I built--(Speakers are from North Creek Music kits).

Simple design, but the Maple and Cherry (just for the stand) I used cost closer to 200 than 100 dollars.
LL
LL

Dave

post #916 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by stisev View Post

Although I see your point, everything I have found in the 100-150 range doesn't look very good. If I was a college student living in a dorm I'd put the telly on a couple of orange crates and be done with it but that isn't my case. I wish it was different but I haven't seen anything out there.

Now if I was a cabinet maker............

Buzz

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #917 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 PM

I just got a gorgeous stand from Costco for $199. It is large, black with three tempered glass shelves. An excellent value!
post #918 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 PM

I keep seeing people mentioning that they've ordered this TV from Big River. I keep googling Big River and have not gotten any results for an electronics retailer. Is this not an online site? I'm sorta confused.

I had actually already placed an order on an HL50A650 until I realized that it was not an LED model. It was advertised as one. I really wouldn't mind getting a DLP set if I could get an LED model. And for the price of a quality 1080 LCD set that is 47" or above, I'd be paying more than I've seen this set listed for.

I know the advertised life span of these things is incredibly long, but that's based just on the LED light source. That doesn't mean the rest of the components will hold out that long. Are there any known issues with the set that would drastically shorten it's lifespan? I want a TV that will last a very long time. Not just a few years.
post #919 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Think of the name of a well known online retailer that is named after a VERY BIG RIVER in South America.

(Hint) it is located in the Amazon Jungle....

Dave

post #920 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarenothere View Post

I keep seeing people mentioning that they've ordered this TV from Big River. I keep googling Big River and have not gotten any results for an electronics retailer. Is this not an online site? I'm sorta confused.

I had actually already placed an order on an HL50A650 until I realized that it was not an LED model. It was advertised as one. I really wouldn't mind getting a DLP set if I could get an LED model. And for the price of a quality 1080 LCD set that is 47" or above, I'd be paying more than I've seen this set listed for.

I know the advertised life span of these things is incredibly long, but that's based just on the LED light source. That doesn't mean the rest of the components will hold out that long. Are there any known issues with the set that would drastically shorten it's lifespan? I want a TV that will last a very long time. Not just a few years.

I did the same thing. I kept looking for Big River until I finally realized what it was a reference to.

LED DLP

post #921 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 PM

I apologize if this has been brought up previously, I'm a little frustrated and can't sit thru 30+ pages (tho I've gone thru a few). I just purchased a HL61A750 which was setup today. The picture is nice, I'm working the features, playing with brightness/contrast/etc...the contrast menu freeze on my screen. I can't do anything, the remote control is ineffective. The buttons on the side of the unit, also not responsive. The power button is not responsive. The unit finally goes into just LED blinking mode, it sits there for a few minutes, I try the power button, no success. I have to power reset to get the unit back up.

Its running fine, I decide to go back into features and just start playing around, nothing crazy, it does the same thing. I reset. I comeback to watch a dvd, dvd runs fine. I when I switch to component 1 (my xbox) it sits there for 20 seconds while I turn the xbox on, all the sudden it goes dead, the LED light starts blinking again.

I contact samsung to see if they have any ideas, they want to immediately set me up for service (I do technical support for a computer company, I know what that means). I refuse service for the time being, I'll talk to my reseller 1st.

I start researching, I look into firmware updates, well, I see a lot on this 1005.3, which appears to have been released 5/12/08 according to samsung.com. I check my firmware, I'm running 1006.1 (4/30/08 according to the TV) so thats a no go. But I can't find anything on my current firmware update or whats its supposed to fix.

I again am doing something simple. I was checking the closed captions options (I play PC video games and mute quiet frequently, I was seeing if the unit had a 'CC on mute' option.) I click on, I click off, I click on, and its just sitting on my TV 'Caption: Off' but the captions are still going and 10 minutes later the light blue 'Caption: Off' is still up, its still captioning, the remote, side button, power button are completely ineffective.

I'm running a Cable box thru coax (I'm getting upgrade this week). Xbox on component, and a dvd player on HDMI.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate, I just hate crying that something's broke and its just user error (again, its what I do for a job).

Edit: So I start changing channels on my cable box. The 'Caption: Off' stayed on for a few channel flips, I turn on my xbox to see if it scans to it or something...after atleast a minute, the screen turns to off-black, makes a noise like the TV is powering back on, and it comes back on, and is working again. I'm tempted to see if I can make the menu's stick again...
post #922 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 09:48 PM

I have been trying to buy a 67" HL67A750 here in Vancouver Canada. Costco carries the 61 but can't find a 67. Amazingly Samsung can't tell me who sells their product.
post #923 of 15718 Old 07-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Think of the name of a well known online retailer that is named after a VERY BIG RIVER in South America.

(Hint) it is located in the Amazon Jungle....

That hint was just a little obvious. haha.
post #924 of 15718 Old 07-08-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:

Hey, all.

Thanks for any help.
GJ73

Your friend probably has a Samsung LCD with the AMP (Auto Motion Plus) feature. I previously had a LNT4071F set with this feature. The AMP inserts interpolated frames in between real ones to try and reduce motion blur to give a smooth life like feel to what you are watching. This originally was developed for fast action like sports games, but it does what you are describing to regular movies and programs. The reason I had my set replaced was for the side effects this feature caused. TBE or triple ball effect is something it caused for al sports when a fast moving ball was on the screen. The software and/or hardware could not interpolate it correctly and caused several balls to appear at once. There were also stuttering issues when the hardware/software had problems, it would cause the picture to stutter. Now in all fairness, Samsung has improved the problems a great deal with the 650 and 750 series LCDs released this year. They are much improved, but not perfect. My biggest concern is the TBE with sports, especially football. The new sets still produce this to some degree, and since my primary reason for having the TV is to watch football, I couldn't deal with this issue. Every time I watched a football game, I just looked for the TBE and it ruined my viewing experience. If TBE does not bother you or you do not watch much sports, one of the LCDs may be the way for you to go. You do suffer in screen size also because the largest LCD is 52 inches. I was able to get a very good looking picture from my 61A750 using the free calibration DVDs found on these forums and I am very happy with the 61A750.
post #925 of 15718 Old 07-08-2008, 05:49 AM

that stand looks great
post #926 of 15718 Old 07-08-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

that stand looks great

Thanks!

Dave

post #927 of 15718 Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 AM

Hi to all,
I'm new to the forum as I discovered it in researching prior to my purchase of a HL67A750.

I just unboxed the TV last night (bought from Amazon), went to fire it up through the remote, and got nothing. Had to turn it on from the front power button. After checking the batteries in the remote (I know they're ok because the backlight works), I tried to pair my Comcast multifunction remote with the TV - still no remote functionality.

Next I discovered that the blue light around the power button wasn't illuminated. I navigated through the buttons on the TV to the menu to turn on the blue circle "always" - and still no illuminated blue circle - which leads me to believe the TV's failure to receive the remote signal and the blue light might be related. I unplugged the TV to reset it and tried everything again to no avail.

I called Samsung and scheduled a service appointment - which I'm not very happy about considering it's a brand new TV. Given I purchased the set from Amazon, any advice or opinions on what you'd do if you were in my shoes? I'm not too keen on the idea of taking it back downstairs, packing it up, having it shipped back, and another sent - but maybe that's my best option?

Jason
post #928 of 15718 Old 07-08-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrex View Post

I just got a gorgeous stand from Costco for $199. It is large, black with three tempered glass shelves. An excellent value!

Which costco was that at and what is the model number? Thanks.
post #929 of 15718 Old 07-08-2008, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady523 View Post

Hi to all,
I'm new to the forum as I discovered it in researching prior to my purchase of a HL67A750.

I just unboxed the TV last night (bought from Amazon), went to fire it up through the remote, and got nothing. Had to turn it on from the front power button. After checking the batteries in the remote (I know they're ok because the backlight works), I tried to pair my Comcast multifunction remote with the TV - still no remote functionality.

Next I discovered that the blue light around the power button wasn't illuminated. I navigated through the buttons on the TV to the menu to turn on the blue circle "always" - and still no illuminated blue circle - which leads me to believe the TV's failure to receive the remote signal and the blue light might be related. I unplugged the TV to reset it and tried everything again to no avail.

I called Samsung and scheduled a service appointment - which I'm not very happy about considering it's a brand new TV. Given I purchased the set from Amazon, any advice or opinions on what you'd do if you were in my shoes? I'm not too keen on the idea of taking it back downstairs, packing it up, having it shipped back, and another sent - but maybe that's my best option?

Jason

Well, that sucks that you have problems with a new purchase, but it sounds like it would probably be easy to fix. Maybe just a loose wire to the IR sensor/power button LED. What I would depend on how quickly a service tech can come out and look at it. If it is quick, I would give that a shot first. It is probably a simple problem they can quickly fix. Otherwise, have Amazon send you a new set, and when they guys deliver it, have them take your old set away.
post #930 of 15718 Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 AM

I purchased my HL-67A750 from 6ave though amazon and it should be delivered in the next 5 hours. I just hope all is okay with it.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page