Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

It is a jpeg.

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/p..._1920x1080.jpg

Please correct if I am wrong... displaying any Jpg file via thumb drive will set the TV to presentation mode... I dont see any way to get around adjusting Gama or user settings also.

The best way is to push the image to DVD by creating a high res background and author on a 4.7gb dvd. As a Pc connection is not going to be the same as video.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech View Post

Please correct if I am wrong... displaying any Jpg file via thumb drive will set the TV to presentation mode... I dont see any way to get around adjusting Gama or user settings also.

The best way is to push the image to DVD by creating a high res background and author on a 4.7gb dvd. As a Pc connection is not going to be the same as video.

I'm not sure. I viewed it on my PS3.
post #9483 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Welcome. We'll try answer as many of your questions as we can.

First of all, this particular DLP is superior to any LCD and all but possibly the Pioneer Kuro and top tier Panasonic plasmas. They may fall just shy of those two plasmas in very, very minor ways...there are advantages however. No burn-in and no image retention and no motion blur.

You can acheive incredible black levels and very accurate colors with this DLP and the size is great!

The lighting in the stores is just horrible. Don't judge these displays based on those experiences.

BTW...your room layout would be perfect for either the 61" or 67" model.

This display also works wonderfully with the PS3. Many of us have one...including me.

If you purchase this display, we have suggested user settings and service menu settings to get your pictuer to near professional grade calibration levels.

regarding the layout of the room....from just seeing the TV in stores i worry about the "side" couch and the viewing angle....particularly on the 67" model....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac694203 View Post

As I said on ps3f, you should grab the DLP man. I think any flaw in the set is trumped by the size and price point. If I were you, I would get it from somewhere local like BB, and keep the set for the 30 days. If you're not happy with the way it looks, return it and get the LCD.

Ps3 games look amazing. BD look great. I'm totally happy with my DLP. My wife is also happy with it, which is saying something. I never even hear her complain about the money we spent. Now that's a good buy.

yeah i hear ya....but some of the deals online are nuts right now...i know price talk is frowned upon here...so ill avoid that but electronics expo has a killer price right now on both...or the free stand deal through THDS....
post #9484 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 PM

The side couch may present some problems. I have a similar setup and my side couch is watchable from the farthest seat, but the nearest seat is basically useless and the middle one is decent. It doesn't bother me, because my designated seat is front and center.
post #9485 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac694203 View Post

The side couch may present some problems. I have a similar setup and my side couch is watchable from the farthest seat, but the nearest seat is basically useless and the middle one is decent. It doesn't bother me, because my designated seat is front and center.

what about flipping the room 90* and going the other way possibly??

would increase the viewing distance quite a bit (making the 67 even more tempting) and allow the side couch to be much further down the wall....better i would think....
post #9486 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I checked out a few other bmp files... and found a few sunset and land & water scenes that had a lot going on for colour changes.

The file you gave was around for some time on another site... as the photographer explained in detail how to achieve such a photo. Very impressive as you cannot get the night detail with the human eye.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #9487 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 PM

Yes, if the side couch was farther back, the viewing angles would be less extreme and it would look better. You don't want to sit too far back though. I sit about 10 feet from my 67 and I wouldn't really want to sit much farther.
post #9488 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The nice thing while in service menu, you can tweak around with a live image as I get a little bit more reds / pinks than lee (I must have a good red LED), so I comprimized and use my factory RED settings as they were a bit lower. Though small tweaks here and there... as it is not truely calibrated, it is still a lot better than factory.

post #9489 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

I played around with Gamma -2 and found it not accurate and difficult to work arround to keep it. Gamma 0 works fine and with Lee's Service Menu settings it is not much different as eye poping detail goes. Though, -2 can work for broadcast SD upconverted video from programs before 2002 as colour details are a muted.

post #9490 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey View Post

For those of you who go into the service menu often, I'll write up the procedure to enable keeping your Movie Mode settings when you exit the service menu, if anyone is interested.

You have mentioned this more than once. So how do you do this? You also mentioned that the Aperture fix was lost when existing the service menu. Does this procedure fix that as well?

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #9491 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

You have mentioned this more than once. So how do you do this? You also mentioned that the Aperture fix was lost when existing the service menu. Does this procedure fix that as well?

Time is not always on my side, Tom.

The answer to the Aperture fix is no, it will not fix that. Apparently a bug on the older DLPs as well.
post #9492 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Time is not always on my side, Tom.

The answer to the Aperture fix is no, it will not fix that. Apparently a bug on the older DLPs as well.

Hi Lee:

If it is not too great a burden, I am hoping you will be able to post the info that Tom asked about on getting in and out of the service menu without losing the movie mode settings.

In that same vein, is there a way to get in and out of the service menu without shutting the display down and restarting?

BTW, thank you for all your postings here.

The 67A750 is a really nice display, (we are loving it!

Folks like you who take the time to post here and share their extraordinary knowledge with the ordinary folk just make it all a little better.

Best regards,

Artjohn
post #9493 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post

hey guys....i posted a thread with some questions regarding the HLxxA750 sets....was just wondering if i could get some replies...i guess reply here...it will be easier....

i know rear projection is known for accurate color, good motion processing, high black level performance, but poor off angle viewing...

i had the chance this weekend to mess with one of these in best buy...and conveniently, a Samsung 750 LCD was on the wall near it...the picture quality seemed awesome...but as i messed with the settings quite a bit, it just seemed like i couldn't get the DLP to match the vibrant color, "pop" and "crispness" of the LCD....

is there something i'm missing?...is this due to lighting in the store?? how do these sets REALLY perform compared to LCD and plasma?...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post15924408

I've never considered RPTVs before as none of them impressed me in the stores - after comparing and owning various LCDs and Plasma TVs, but recently took a chance on this one

In my home, my 67a750 (after some minor tweaking) totally immerses me with extremely realistic renderings and it's size - and that's pretty much all I ever wanted from a TV.

and this TV PQ is similar to a Plasma/LCD with it's dynamic contrast on.-- and I think just about as sharp with edge enhancement on.
post #9494 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artjohn View Post

Hi Lee:

If it is not too great a burden, I am hoping you will be able to post the info that Tom asked about on getting in and out of the service menu without losing the movie mode settings.

In that same vein, is there a way to get in and out of the service menu without shutting the display down and restarting?

BTW, thank you for all your postings here.

The 67A750 is a really nice display, (we are loving it!

Folks like you who take the time to post here and share their extraordinary knowledge with the ordinary folk just make it all a little better.

Best regards,

Artjohn

To get in and out of the service menu, I used some pronto codes and converted the SERVICE button code with prontoedit to import into my URC MX-850 remote. (now I KNOW I found those hex codes somewhere on AVS, either in this forum or the Calibration forum!)

Once you have the service button configured, you just press INFO then SERVICE to enter the Service Menu, then Press Service 2 times to exit out. This is where I would see that the Aperture was still closed and able to measure the difference at 0% stim on Grayscale. Right after I powered it off/on, the aperture appeared to be open again, though the service menu setting still showed CLOSED.

Last night I reset it to closed by toggling DB on/off again, then I was able to open/close the aperture again and you could see the effect again. I then decided, what the heck, let's adjust SB Gain (for Static Black?). I ran the numbers up until the entire screen went black, including the service menu! That scared the crap out of me, since if my settings stuck now, I was in deep trouble.

Luckily, this apparent bug in the code reset the aperture again after a power on/off.

You're all very welcome for anything I've done that you've found useful.
post #9495 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 PM

so are you saying that the apature opens back up each time you exit the service menu and power off and on?
post #9496 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

so are you saying that the apature opens back up each time you exit the service menu and power off and on?

Yes, that is what I have found after repeatedly testing it.
post #9497 of 15706 Old 02-26-2009, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

As usual, be very careful on what you are changing in the Service Menu!

First off, the hex code for creating a Service Menu button(for those of you that use universal remotes, and have a way to convert this to the format your remote needs)

"Service Menu" hex code:
0000 006D 0000 0022 00AB 00AB 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 0016 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 003F 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 0715

To enter Service Mode, you would hit the INFO button followed quickly by the new SERVICE button. To exit service menu, you would press the SERVICE button twice.

Modifying and Keeping your Movie Mode settings:

You will need to set this for each input that you use.

With the TV off,
Enter the Service Menu using Mute-1-8-2-Power on the remote.

Cursor RIGHT on OptionByte Menu
Cursor DOWN until you get to Expert Adj. (OFF if you've never enabled it)
Cursor RIGHT to Select it.
Cursor RIGHT to toggle on/off, Leave it set to ON.
Hit MENU button on remote to take you out of this menu.
Cursor DOWN until you get to Expert Settings.
Cursor RIGHT to select Calibration.
Cursor RIGHT to toggle it ON
*From this point, you can just cursor DOWN to get to the next item, no need to hit MENU on the remote.
Cursor DOWN to P-MODE
Cursor RIGHT to select it.
Cursor RIGHT to toggle Movie/Calibration

The difference between Movie and Calibration in this menu will be:

Calibration mode will gray out picture settings in the user menus, using settings you set up in the Expert Menus.
You will notice that your Picture Mode settings will now be: Dynamic, Standard, Calibration(instead of Movie). When you power back on your TV, you will come up in Picture Mode 'Calibration', but only on the input you started the system menu in. On the other inputs, you will have to change your picture mode to Calibration.

P-MODE Movie will only retain your Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color, and Tint Settings, you may have to go into Detailed Settings and Picture Options and set those to where you want.

Cursor DOWN to Color Tone.
Cursor RIGHT or LEFT to change to WARM2(or whatever Color Tone you want)
Cursor DOWN to Contrast
Cursor RIGHT/LEFT to set your chosen value
Cursor DOWN to Brightness
Cursor DOWN to Color
Cursor DOWN to Tint
CURSOR LEFT/RIGHT to set your chosen value
CURSOR DOWN to Sharpness
Hit MENU button twice to get back to main menu

Cursor DOWN to Expert D-Setting
Cursor RIGHT to Select
Change each item to what you want when using Picture Mode 'Calibration', using cursor controls.
When done, hit MENU on remote to get back to main menu.
Cursor DOWN to Expert Others
Change each item that's not grayed out to what you want when using Picture Mode 'Calibration'

Power off the TV.
Power on the TV, check your settings, modify what you need to in Detailed Settings and Picture Options.

Additional:

Changing your default STANDARD Mode Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color, and Tint Settings:

Enter the Service Menu
Cursor DOWN to EPA STANDARD
Cursor RIGHT to SELECT
Cursor RIGHT on Standard Contrast
Cursor RIGHT/LEFT to level you want
Cursor DOWN to next item, cursor LEFT/RIGHT to adjust.
When you've gone through all the items, hit MENU on remote.
Power off TV.

Power back on TV,
Change to the next input you use. Repeat steps above.

Finally,Enjoy your TV.
post #9498 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

Is there a setting I can adjust to get the MUTE icon to disappear from the screen when the TV audio is muted? I have a custom sequence programmed on my 880 to mute the TV and un-mute my AVR (nice for watching TV with good sound, then mute so you go back to TV sound for the commercials).

For your 880, you might be able to find a code that turns the speakers off vice muting to do the same thing without the icon. I don't recall if the "Speaker Off" function resides in the customization options for the harmony software, but if it does, you can then put it to one of your custom buttons for the Watch TV activity as needed.

We use our AVR full-time, so I have the TV speakers turned off.
post #9499 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 02:57 AM

Oh man Lee you are working some serious overtime ha ha. Thanks once again for the additional information. Watched Madagascar 2 last night. Great picture quality. Wasn't dim, flat, or washed out. Just wonderful. And I am using your settings in a lit room with lamps to my left and right. Granted I can turn the lights off but I am trying to get a better understanding of those that claim movie mode flattens their picture and takes away the pop from their picture. I guess maybe I am used to the movie mode. It has plenty of depth and pop as far as I am concerned. Well I have today off so I think I will watch the Bourne Trilogy. RMZ don't let me down, I look forward to your posts. I mean that sincerely. This forum is about helping each other out so lets get that picture right.

Cheers
post #9500 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 03:46 AM

has anyone run the free download dvd from tvblink.com ?
http://www.tvblink.com/i_down.html

I am wondering if it worth the time needed to
download unzip and burn dvd.
post #9501 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First off, the hex code for creating a Service Menu button(for those of you that use universal remotes, and have a way to convert this to the format your remote needs)

"Service Menu" hex code:
0000 006D 0000 0022 00AB 00AB 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 0016 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 003F 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 003F 0016 003F 0016 0715

To enter Service Mode, you would hit the INFO button followed quickly by the new SERVICE button. To exit service menu, you would press the SERVICE button twice.

Lee, I have found the bug to be a problem with settings... as some times the tv will revert to a factory standard after leaving the service menu. I guess I will need to create a service menu button. My fix to get some of the settings to stick was to change movie mode to calibration mode and configure all the settings. Then go back into the service menu after a power on check, and move back to movie mode.

I did get the dark screen a while back but it too went away after power off.
Their was nothing that I did to make it happen... As all I was doing was adjusting red levels in increments of 10.

I assume that some service menu items need to be performed using the serial interface. I may have to give it a try some time... need a 25 foot serial cable also.

post #9502 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 05:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Mine always comes up in calibration mode when I turn my 67" on. But I also had it professionally calibrated.

Quote:

"Service Menu" hex code:

With the TV off,

*From this point, you can just cursor DOWN to get to the next item, no need to hit MENU on the remote.
Cursor DOWN to P-MODE

Calibration mode will gray out picture settings in the user menus, using settings you set up in the Expert Menus.
You will notice that your Picture Mode settings will now be: Dynamic, Standard, Calibration(instead of Movie). When you power back on your TV, you will come up in Picture Mode calibration, but only on the input you started the system menu in. On the other inputs, you will have to change your picture mode to Calibration.

P-MODE Movie will only retain your Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color, and Tint Settings, you will have to go into Detailed Settings and Picture Options and set those to where you want.

Cursor DOWN to Contrast
Cursor DOWN to Color
Cursor DOWN to Tint
CURSOR DOWN to Sharpness

Cursor RIGHT to Select
Change each item to what you want when using Picture Mode 'Calibration', using cursor controls.
Change each item that's not grayed out to what you want when using Picture Mode 'Calibration'

Power off the TV.
Power on the TV, check your settings, modify what you need to in Detailed Settings and Picture Options.

Additional:

Changing your default STANDARD Mode Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color, and Tint Settings:

Enter the Service Menu
Cursor RIGHT to SELECT
Power off TV.

Power back on TV,

Finally,Enjoy your TV.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9503 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

OK Lee answered this,

But, I think some people are getting confused by Samsung's chose of wording.

The aparture is always open, it has be to allow light through, otherwise you have a duff TV.

That open/close bit should've been named auto/manual. And I've found on my TV at least that it really doesn't make a difference as I have the black adjust thingy in the user settings - off.

Damn Samsung and it's Korenglish.
post #9504 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:

.. I then decided, what the heck, let's adjust SB Gain (for Static Black?). I ran the numbers up until the entire screen went black, including the service menu! ..

Static Black? - that's good.

I take it that the default 0 is the brightest screen - lightest black.

So to get the best deep inky blacks from this set without destroying the brightness, would 100 - 170 be best?
post #9505 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwey View Post

Static Black? - that's good.

I take it that the default 0 is the brightest screen - lightest black.

So to get the best deep inky blacks from this set without destroying the brightness, would 100 - 170 be best?

Yes, 0 is the lightest.

I have mine set at 240, but since the aperture appears to be re-opened via a power cycle, it won't stay that dark.
post #9506 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Mine always comes up in calibration mode when I turn my 67" on. But I also had it professionally calibrated.

You're right, I should have added that, jcorwin noted the same thing.
post #9507 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech View Post

I assume that some service menu items need to be performed using the serial interface. I may have to give it a try some time... need a 25 foot serial cable also.

If you can figure out how to control the SM color controls via the RS232C interface, that would be great. The makers of ControlCal could make an overlay that would give you a gui interface for it.
post #9508 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"Service Menu" hex code:

With the TV off,

Cursor DOWN to P-MODE

You will notice that your Picture Mode settings will now be: Dynamic, Standard, Calibration(instead of Movie). When you power back on your TV, you will come up in Picture Mode calibration, but only on the input you started the system menu in. On the other inputs, you will have to change your picture mode to Calibration.

P-MODE Movie will only retain your Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color, and Tint Settings, you will have to go into Detailed Settings and Picture Options and set those to where you want.

Cursor DOWN to Contrast
Cursor DOWN to Color
Cursor DOWN to Tint
CURSOR DOWN to Sharpness

Cursor RIGHT to Select

Power off the TV.

Additional:

Enter the Service Menu
Cursor RIGHT to SELECT
Power off TV.

Power back on TV,

Finally,Enjoy your TV.

Lee, you should paste this post into your linked post so all the info is in one place. Perhaps you could compile all you have into a word doc and send it to Guy: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/

I bet he'd set it up on his site.

post #9509 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIII View Post

I am still on "pending final audit"

anyone any farther with thier rebate?

anyone send thiers in before me?

How are you checking your rebate status on http://www.checkmyrebate.com/Status.asp the page never loads for me and google suggests they went bankrupt. How can I verify the status of my rebate?
post #9510 of 15706 Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbdp54 View Post

How are you checking your rebate status on http://www.checkmyrebate.com/Status.asp the page never loads for me and google suggests they went bankrupt. How can I verify the status of my rebate?

It just loaded for me. Wait...are you saying it won't load initially or after you try to submit your information?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page