Forum Jump: 

post #9811 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the H and V position screen.....

There are a series of colored lines on the sides/top/bottom. They go something like red, yellow, green, purple, blue. When the screen is centered, are the last 2 lines supposed to be off the screen? I assume they are there to help get the screen centered.

-Eli

AV Nut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post

after I did the WB Spread, it pushed it to all my HDMI Sources as well

I haven't checked it on my end, but I'm sure it's the same. I only use HDMI1 since all of my sources are routed through my AVR.
post #9813 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

So, I'm curious...what's next on your list? Anything in particular you want to tweak in the service manual next?

Probably just the red level. And of course, an even flatter grayscale, especially in the low end.

I'd really like to find a fix for the aperture.
post #9814 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATman94 View Post

Lee,

I assumed the SM gamma change was a universal setting, but after I saw your post quoted below, I went and checked my SM when in TV mode and separately in HDMI 1. However, in both cases, it was showing that the change to film for gamma was already there (after I had done the initial change in HDMI 1). So, could this be showing the switch when it really isn't there, or could it be a universal setting after all? Both sources seem to be visually different now, but I don't have any calibration tools to confirm (other than my eyes).

EDIT: Just after I posted this, I see two others with similar observations. Oddly, these posts weren't there when I logged in this morning--even with a refresh.

Then my assumption that WB spread would not push this around are incorrect. Though now we need a complete list of what settings that do get 'pushed' when one uses WB spread. Also, does it push only to the same input type? This would save a lot of time in the SM. Any takers for that testing?
post #9815 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 AM

Thanks. And to clarify...I did the SM gamma change days after your initial SM changes as you had noted the gamma change later. I just switched the SM gamma setting without doing a WB spread with that change. I did do WB spreads per your initial instructions with my initial SM changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey View Post

Then my assumption that WB spread would not push this around are incorrect. Though now we need a complete list of what settings that do get 'pushed' when one uses WB spread. Also, does it push only to the same input type? This would save a lot of time in the SM. Any takers for that testing?

post #9816 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 07:38 AM

Well i just cant believe this. I have had the TV for a month now and I still havent been able to fully enjoy it.

They came out and replace the main board once (see prevous posting) but the HDMI didnt work when they were done...had to request anther board..

Just called Samsung and they said they still have no main boards (order in for 3 weeks) and they dont know when they will get any. They told me they would have someone contact me about exchanging the TV. They said they didnt think there were any more of the same model and they would have to offer me something comprable.

Now this is just BS. How does Samsung not keep enought parts in stock to fix it. What happens 3 years from now (on your extended warranty) if you need a new board and Samsung can not provide it.

I have to sit back and wait for that call and see what kind of TV they are going to offer. Its a shame, cause the LED DLP is what I wanted.
post #9817 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbly View Post

Well i just cant believe this. I have had the TV for a month now and I still havent been able to fully enjoy it.

They came out and replace the main board once (see prevous posting) but the HDMI didnt work when they were done...had to request anther board..

Just called Samsung and they said they still have no main boards (order in for 3 weeks) and they dont know when they will get any. They told me they would have someone contact me about exchanging the TV. They said they didnt think there were any more of the same model and they would have to offer me something comprable.

Now this is just BS. How does Samsung not keep enought parts in stock to fix it. What happens 3 years from now (on your extended warranty) if you need a new board and Samsung can not provide it.

I have to sit back and wait for that call and see what kind of TV they are going to offer. Its a shame, cause the LED DLP is what I wanted.

If I were in your shoes, make sure you are documenting everything...all correspondence, every call made to Sammy....

...stick to your guns if they try to go down the 'comparable' route

I'd insist on a Samsung LUXIA LN55B8000 (yeah right, but it never hurts to have high goals)...they will try to do a LN52A650...

to me , going from 61" down to 52" is unacceptable...hold firm.. and hopefully they can fix your current set or allocate some stock for a straight replacement.

G'luck
post #9818 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post

If I were in your shoes, make sure you are documenting everything...all correspondence, every call made to Sammy....

I'd insist on a Samsung LUXIA LN55B8000 (yeah right, but it never hurts to have high goals)...they will try to do a LN52A650...

to me , going from 61" down to 52" is unacceptable...hold firm.. and hopefully they can fix your current set or allocate some stock for a straight replacement.

G'luck

I saw on this forum they offered a LN52A550 to replace a 61A750... Worst
I think you should check MSRP of this sets.
Good luck.
post #9819 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIII View Post

same here

You guys are lucky. My rebate request isn't even found in their system. I'm probably screwed.
post #9820 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerr1 View Post

You guys are lucky. My rebate request isn't even found in their system. I'm probably screwed.

When did you mail it? Mine didn't show up on their site until about 2 weeks after I think they received it...

post #9821 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech View Post

Lee, I guess you had tried calibration using all the different gamma settings? As I think one of them may solve correcting Red in your gamma curve, or maybe not.

No, I have not. What I'm planning on doing, is perform a Gamma sweep in each of the modes from the DDP3021 menu, leaving the User Menu setting at 0. Then look at the charts, and post them here.
post #9822 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AFAIK, the manufacturer is required by law to keep parts in stock for several years after the discontinuance of a product. Someone there is feed you BS, or, they have had more problems with this unit than we know about. They don't have a comparable set for the size of the screen you have. And that's what you should consider as being a replacement, IMO, The largest screen size plasma or LCD they make.

They need to at least send a notice of this to all registered users of their products.

Sounds like yet another lawsuit for Samsung.
post #9823 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

AFAIK, the manufacturer is required by law to keep parts in stock for several years after the discontinuance of a product. Someone there is feed you BS, or, they have had more problems with this unit than we know about. They don't have a comparable set for the size of the screen you have. And that's what you should consider as being a replacement, IMO, The largest screen size plasma or LCD they make.

They need to at least send a notice of this to all registered users of their products.

Sounds like yet another lawsuit for Samsung.

Lee, I did some research on this and it turns out there is no Federal law requiring manufacturers to supply parts beyond the last date of production. There are however, a handful of states that do have laws about this.

Here are a couple of links to read:
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8655

http://repairny.com/repair-services/...arts-laws.html

If Samsung decided not to manufacture parts for these sets, we will have a heck of a time repairing them down the road...

post #9824 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post

Lee, I did some research on this and it turns out there is no Federal law requiring manufacturers to supply parts beyond the last date of production. There are however, a handful of states that do have laws about this.

If Samsung decided not to manufacture parts for these sets, we will have a heck of a time repairing them down the road...

Thanks Roger.

I may be in luck, if indeed the wholesale value is over $100.00

California:
7 years after date of manufacture for goods with a wholesale value of $100 or more, 3 years for items valued at $50 to $99.99. This law covers functional parts only.

Now, how do you force a company outside of the US to comply?
post #9825 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, I have not. What I'm planning on doing, is perform a Gamma sweep in each of the modes from the DDP3021 menu, leaving the User Menu setting at 0. Then look at the charts, and post them here.

I think it would also be interesting to understand how the individual user menu gamma setting affect the curve. It would be cool if you could do a gamma sweep at -3 through 3 on one of the gamma mode DDP3021 settings and see how each changes the gamma curve.

Someone posted a really nice set of screenshots from the Fifth Element showing the same scene at several different gamma settings to show how image details changed with different settings. It was really neat, wish I could find it and post a link, but alas can't turn it up in my searchings of the forum.
post #9826 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post

G'luck

I feel for you.... this is one of my worst nightmares right now (and one of my HDMI ports is already acting up)

I was told by Samsung support they base 'comparable product' for replacements on MSRP.The LN52A650 has an MSRP of $2499 this is the set they are likely to offer the 67A750 (MSRP: $2399) customers on a replacement. For the 61A750 (MSRP: $1899) they would likely offer you 46A630 which has the last list price. You might could drop features and bump it down to the lower end 500 series 52" LCD, but then you're sacrificing screen size and features for a display technology you don't even want

If this happened to me I would do my best to try and get a cash settlement... if I could accomplish that I would use the money to purchase a a comparable sized Mitsubishi DLP along with an extra color wheel and 20 years worth of bulbs
post #9827 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Prior to purcahse of my 67A750 I e-mailed Samsung and stated I heard about the CES 2009 announcement on DLPs and wanted to know the probability of parts being available during the terms of the extended warranty... It took them forever to respond (I gave up and already had the set in my den before I got their response) it gave me no confidence at all "... on some models we continue to produce replacement parts if we can't replacement we will offer something comparable"

What is comparable is open for interpretation so I called Samsung to get clarification. I was then told "parts for the 67A750 are still available.... if we had to do a replacement we would base it off the suggested retail price and offer you something of the same value to your sets new price"
post #9828 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:

When did you mail it? Mine didn't show up on their site until about 2 weeks after I think they received it...

I've never had an issue getting a rebate so I'm afraid I didn't record everything regarding when I sent it in. However, it has probably been longer than 2 weeks. I will just keep checking for another week or two but I doubt I have much leverage if they say it never arrived.
post #9829 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Has anyone had issues with horizontal lines rolling upward on the screen. If I look really hard I can see them (barely) during a television show but when it cuts to comercial and the screen turns black I see them well. They are just lighter toned black lines or grey that roll upward. I havent noticed them on my Blue Ray player. Anyone have any info regarding this as i didnt find any pertinant information on this topic. Could this just be a cable issue and could it hurt my tv if its not dealt with?

Also, since this was annoying me so much, i took the directions from this foroum and entered the service menu to do some tests and when i followed the directions and turned the set on I just got a black screen. No codes or whatever appeared so I hit the menu button to return back to normal and all was left the same as it was. Am I doing something wrong ro do I need to wait a bit for the codes to show etc....

Any help is appreciated. FYI....My Blue Ray, HD Cable box and PS3 are all connected with HDMI.
post #9830 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks Roger.

I may be in luck, if indeed the wholesale value is over $100.00

California:
7 years after date of manufacture for goods with a wholesale value of $100 or more, 3 years for items valued at $50 to $99.99. This law covers functional parts only.

Now, how do you force a company outside of the US to comply?

Regardless of where the parts are produced or the company is based unfortunately you can't make them repair something. You can make them honor the terms of their limited warranty agreement. If they offer a comparable priced 46" LCD in place of a 61" set I would fight it till I couldn't anymore....

Speaking of problems with these sets: has anyone else experienced strange behavior on one of their HDMI ports? Sometimes when changing cable station I get a snowy picture, then the picture may come in all red for a moment, then all green.. then within a minute or two everything is working. Just recently started doing this to me on HDMI 2. This has happened maybe twice over the past week. I'm thinking it can't be a good sign.
post #9831 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post

In the H and V position screen.....

There are a series of colored lines on the sides/top/bottom. They go something like red, yellow, green, purple, blue. When the screen is centered, are the last 2 lines supposed to be off the screen? I assume they are there to help get the screen centered.

-Eli

Anyone? Lee? Bueller?

-Eli

AV Nut
post #9832 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:

If you want this set, I suggest you return the one you have or tell Samsung you want them to buy your set back. I had a problem with mine and they originally said they would exchange the set (about 1 month ago). I didn't even ask them to exchange the set...they just offered. I didn't hear back from them in a couple of weeks so I called to check and that's when I found out they didn't have any remaining stock and couldn't replace the set. They then offered me the LN52A550 (not the 650) and I told them I need the 61" because I had a cabinet made for it. So I asked if they would refund my money and they said it's not what they like to do but they agreed. I then went and bought another set on Amazon...although I haven't heard from the trucking company who's supposed to call me to come get the old set so I don't have my refund yet - time for another call. By the way, I called the Executive Support number not the regular number...although it may not even matter.

If you want this set, have them buy it back and buy another...they are still available at pretty good prices (not as good as the $1299 Crutchfield deal though). I think if you have a problem down the road with these set and parts is an issue....we all may be forced into an exchange if they are not going to manufacture the parts.
post #9833 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

I think it would also be interesting to understand how the individual user menu gamma setting affect the curve. It would be cool if you could do a gamma sweep at -3 through 3 on one of the gamma mode DDP3021 settings and see how each changes the gamma curve.

Someone posted a really nice set of screenshots from the Fifth Element showing the same scene at several different gamma settings to show how image details changed with different settings. It was really neat, wish I could find it and post a link, but alas can't turn it up in my searchings of the forum.

I can do that.
Now, have you tried any of the settings in the CCA yet?
post #9834 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 03:10 PM

I don't understand why they would offer an LCD in exchange. I was offered the LN52A650 in exchange for my HL61A750 and I declined. I'll live with a bit of convergence issues than go from a DLP to an LCD..

Aren't these sets still available from like Amazon or other sites? I really don't get why they are in stock on Amazon, but Samsung can't send you another one???

Anyways, if the MSRP on the LN52A650 really is ~2500 dollars; why not take it, sell it on eBay or something for like $200 less than MSRP and then buy a HL61A750 from Amazon? It's a little bit more work but not only will you get another DLP, but you'll also make a bunch of money you can put towards calibration or some other stuff
post #9835 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 03:15 PM

I brought this question up awhile back but never really got a good answer from the group. I'll try again...

If our sets don't truly process 24hz signals in multiples to its native refresh rate of 120hz (5x24=120). Instead the 24hz signal is being converted to 60hz then doubled to 120hz I assume.
So has anybody tried to compare inputing to the TV a 24hz signal vs inputing a 60hz signal from the same BD payer to see which results in a better picture quality?

Thanks
post #9836 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateveryo View Post

I don't understand why they would offer an LCD in exchange. I was offered the LN52A650 in exchange for my HL61A750 and I declined. I'll live with a bit of convergence issues than go from a DLP to an LCD..

Aren't these sets still available from like Amazon or other sites? I really don't get why they are in stock on Amazon, but Samsung can't send you another one???

Anyways, if the MSRP on the LN52A650 really is ~2500 dollars; why not take it, sell it on eBay or something for like $200 less than MSRP and then buy a HL61A750 from Amazon? It's a little bit more work but not only will you get another DLP, but you'll also make a bunch of money you can put towards calibration or some other stuff

Are you sure they offered the 650 and not the 550? They offered me the 550 about a week ago. I declined and asked for a refund and repurchased a new set from Amazon.
post #9837 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 PM

First post in this thread, though I have read most all 328 pages (!) thus far over the past few weeks. Now, my problem:

In attempting to enter Lee's settings via the SM, I have hit a bit of a roadblock at the Desaturation Menu. If my understanding of Lee's instructions are correct, I should be able to toggle it ON and OFF; however, when I toggled it to the OFF setting (ON was default), I am no longer able to toggle it back to ON. It just stays at OFF regardless of what arrow key I press.

Has this happened to anyone? If not, any suggestions? Do I have to do a "Master Reset" to factory defaults and start over? If so, where is such a "Master Default" setting located within the SM?

I'm not technically inept, I just never seem to have good luck with electronics

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Paul
post #9838 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evansto View Post

Are you sure they offered the 650 and not the 550? They offered me the 550 about a week ago. I declined and asked for a refund and repurchased a new set from Amazon.

Whoops, yeah it is the 550. They gave you a refund? I should have asked about that. How long was it between the time you purchased the T.V. and when they offered you the exchange? I bought mine about 5-6 months ago and they offered me the exchange a few weeks ago.
post #9839 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Yea u can only find the main board on fea bay, I tried to bring this up many posts back, but someone chimed in and said it was BS, that when they quit making tv's they have to make parts for 7 years....now u see u just cant get this thing fixed. They will offer u a 52a550 LCD, if it was me i would take it!
post #9840 of 15718 Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateveryo View Post

Whoops, yeah it is the 550. They gave you a refund? I should have asked about that. How long was it between the time you purchased the T.V. and when they offered you the exchange? I bought mine about 5-6 months ago and they offered me the exchange a few weeks ago.

I've had mine since November. I placed a support call and a service tech was supposed to come and look at the set. He called me and said he would arrive on a Monday but he never showed and I never heard back. I called Samsung again and again and the Rep finally said enough is enough and she said she would replace the set. That was about a month ago. When I didn't hear back about the replacement for a couple of weeks, I called and that's when I learned they didn't have any replacement sets and they offered the LN52A550. I told them I would consider it and get back to them but I really didn't want it because I already have a couple of 52" LCD's around the house and this was for another room with a custom cabinet. So I asked for a refund and they said OK...and I bought the set from Amazon - it should arrive on Friday.

I haven't heard back about the refund though and it's been over a week. Someone was supposed to call and schedule a pickup and Samsung confirms this they overnight a check. Sure hope I don't end up with 2 of the 61" sets!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page