3Likes

post #991 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsmaniac02 View Post

Just wanted to add my two-cents to this discussion. With AMP on (and I think sony calls it something else, but its the same thing) the motion and fluidity of how people/objects move is very different. I have heard people explain it as "it looks like there are people actually inside of the box enacting everything". It is also more of a "video" look as opposed to a "film" look. One way I can explain that is (on a normal tv) watch a soap opera and then switch to a movie. I believe the soap operas are filmed on video cameras at a rate of 30 fps (I could be mistaken here though) and then movies are filmed at 24 fps. there is definitely a different look to the motion between the two. I prefer the look film has, where as others might prefer the "video" kind of look. Keep in mind I am not actually referring to the video quality of a soap opera as being comparable, I am strictly referring to the way motion looks. I almost just don't feel like I am watching film on LCD's with the AMP turned on. I am NOT saying that it looks bad, I just want to reproduce the effect of being at the theater in my home; and the "film" look achieves that better.

It really just boils down to preference... but just keep in mind that the "wow" feeling might go away and you may not feel like you are having quite as much of an authentic movie theater experience (if that is what you are going for).

I know exactly what you mean and I feel the same way. I much more prefer the film look over video. Content that I have seen on LCD's is what pushed me to go with DLP since I could not bare to watch everything with that "home video" look to it.
Yes everything is crystal clear as can be.. be to me it comes across looking almost "fake" in that its TOO real(yes i know that sounds crazy and or hypocritical, but you all get my point I hope.)
Like an uncompressed, un-effected, and un-mastered video or film, tv & movies on LCD's for the most part appear UN watchable to me.

Jay a.k.a. X

Samsung 67A750-Denon 2809CI-DefTech PM1000/PC2000/PM800-Klipsch Sub12
PS3(250GB)-Sony BDP S350-DTV HDDVR HR21

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 01:31 PM

Wish I would've stumbled across this thread/forum before I bought my HL67A750!

I bought the set from Best Buy on July 4th. Me and my buddy set it up to all the components on top of the stand we took 3 hours building all psyched up for the 'great reveal'

Put on a baseball game and immediately I could see the score bar that ran across the top of the screen was way off. It was running 'uphill' as it went from left to right across the screen.

Needless to say I wasn't too impressed having just dropped 2100$ for the set and spent my whole July 4th picking it up and setting it up. Tried to fix it through the settings on the menu with no luck whatsoever.

Jokingly I went up to the side of the set and made out like I was going to whack the side of it. I wound up like I was going to hit it and stopped right before I did, only lightly tapping it.

My buddy tells me the screen moved when I did that and thats when we figured out you could 'bend' the top of the set and it would align the geometry better. After a bunch of tweaking we have it set where the top of the screen is pretty much dead straight except for a very slight upwards bow right in the middle.

It still seemed a little flimsy to me because after lightly shaking the case, the sway on the picture continues for a few seconds even after the shaking stops.

So I called Samsung and they sent a tech out. After looking it over he told me theres nothing for him to fix and that the case just has an excessive amount of sway in it. He expressed disappointment in the set as it was the first of this type he'd serviced. He also suggested I return it to Best Buy.

The question is, should I? It sounds like theres a very good chance of it being similar on all the sets, just in varying degrees. The picture itself is flawless which is what makes it so frustrating!
post #993 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19341 View Post

Wish I would've stumbled across this thread/forum before I bought my HL67A750!

I bought the set from Best Buy on July 4th. Me and my buddy set it up to all the components on top of the stand we took 3 hours building all psyched up for the 'great reveal'

Put on a baseball game and immediately I could see the score bar that ran across the top of the screen was way off. It was running 'uphill' as it went from left to right across the screen.

Needless to say I wasn't too impressed having just dropped 2100$ for the set and spent my whole July 4th picking it up and setting it up. Tried to fix it through the settings on the menu with no luck whatsoever.

Jokingly I went up to the side of the set and made out like I was going to whack the side of it. I wound up like I was going to hit it and stopped right before I did, only lightly tapping it.

My buddy tells me the screen moved when I did that and thats when we figured out you could 'bend' the top of the set and it would align the geometry better. After a bunch of tweaking we have it set where the top of the screen is pretty much dead straight except for a very slight upwards bow right in the middle.

It still seemed a little flimsy to me because after lightly shaking the case, the sway on the picture continues for a few seconds even after the shaking stops.

So I called Samsung and they sent a tech out. After looking it over he told me theres nothing for him to fix and that the case just has an excessive amount of sway in it. He expressed disappointment in the set as it was the first of this type he'd serviced. He also suggested I return it to Best Buy.

The question is, should I? It sounds like theres a very good chance of it being similar on all the sets, just in varying degrees. The picture itself is flawless which is what makes it so frustrating!

HAHA! Welcome to the club my friend. Welcome to the Club!

Jay a.k.a. X

Samsung 67A750-Denon 2809CI-DefTech PM1000/PC2000/PM800-Klipsch Sub12
PS3(250GB)-Sony BDP S350-DTV HDDVR HR21

post #994 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19341 View Post

He also suggested I return it to Best Buy.

yeah, the screen has meager support, that's sure. it bothers me that it's not more substantial, but i'm choosing to keep mine because i can't think of a set i'd prefer. ordered a 52" samsung LCD but was so concerned about the glare (hate high-gloss screens) that i cancelled it. and truly, i wanted a more film look (don't play video games or use as a monitor) and became increasingly set on a dlp. hate the gloss bezel and looked at the mitsubishi - but much preferred the samsung. so there you have it. for my taste and preferences, i was out of options.

my take is that once the geometry is okay (and mine is) and it's in place, i don't have much to worry about. i do have to move it slightly to get to the inputs, but will do that rarely and don't see a problem.

still don't like the gloss bezel aethetics and daytime reflectiveness (why aren't there more matte bezels?!) but the picture is most important to me and i love this (calibrated) set!
post #995 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post

i had my 61" calibrated and the difference is incredible. i'm blown away by how much detail i get now in whites and blacks, how true the colors are, how comfortable and easy on the eyes.

but - i have a question. after calibration, 'film' mode became 'calibrated' and the options are all greyed-out. my 'normal' mode has basically become my film mode that i watch at night, and dynamic (which i didn't find watchable at all before) is set up as my daytime viewing mode.

i've never had a set calibrated, but my uninformed presumption was that menu options wouldn't change with calibration.

Any chance you will share the new settings? I'd like to compare them to mike_pro's numbers from page one of this forum. Thanks.

Buzz

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #996 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post

i've never had a set calibrated, but my uninformed presumption was that menu options wouldn't change with calibration.

Normally with the Samsungs, the menu options do not change on calibration. However, the 2008 dlp displays have some service menu settings specifically for calibration (e.g., expert mode and others) that I have not seen before. I suspect (pure speculation) whoever calibrated your set really knew what he was doing and used the service menu parameters to define which mode was callibrated. That's really cool. Now, if only I can figure out how it's done. (BTW, I'd also like to know who callibrated your set.)

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #997 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Any chance you will share the new settings? I'd like to compare them to mike_pro's numbers from page one of this forum.

More speculation... I'd bet that without knowing the service menu settings, knowing the user menu settings will not be of much use. In addition, calibrators have also previously posted that the service menu calibration settings will vary between displays. FWIW.

Nevertheless, I'd also like to know the final settings both user and service menu, if available. (I know... asking for the service menu setting s is not considered appropriate. But, I figured I'd try. )

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #998 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

(I know... asking for the service menu setting s is not considered appropriate. But, I figured I'd try. )

F that. I don't see why TV manufacturers can't provide another preset labeled "Accurate" that is essentially pre-calibrated. Personally, it seems to me that if a TV can't produce accurate results out of the box, calibration should be a warranty claim. If someone finds the values to correct it, I don't see what's so wrong with sharing it.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #999 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

. If someone finds the values to correct it, I don't see what's so wrong with sharing it.

In this case, the "inappropriateness" is two fold: 1. Moonscape just paid in the range of $300 - $500 to get his set calibrated and to ask him to share his gain without compensation is a bit boorish. 2. Some person out there is trying to make a living calibrating displays. Again, it's somewhat boorish for me to ask a client of his to give the results of the calibrator's hard earned skills and knowledge to me for nothing.

OTH, if I can figure out how to get the same results on my own, I'd gladly share it. FWIW

don...

post #1000 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I just had a quote for isf calibration for $200!! I guess I'd better jump on it tommrow!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #1001 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:

In this case, the "inappropriateness" is two fold: 1. Moonscape just paid in the range of $300 - $500 to get his set calibrated and to ask him to share his gain without compensation is a bit boorish. 2. Some person out there is trying to make a living calibrating displays. Again, it's somewhat boorish for me to ask a client of his to give the results of the calibrator's hard earned skills and knowledge to me for nothing.

OTH, if I can figure out how to get the same results on my own, I'd gladly share it. FWIW

On top of that, every set is unique in it's own way.. The LEDs for the most part are pretty accurate when it comes to color, but there are differences in other parts of the sets.. So one persons calibrations may not work for another.. This is one reason why sets come from the factory with general settings.. From what I have read in the service menu, there are color co-ordinates taken at the factory, but for them to do a complete calibration would be counter productive when you are doing mass production.
post #1002 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I just had a quote for isf calibration for $200!! I guess I'd better jump on it tommrow!!

I got my calibration free, it was an easter egg I found on a disc in my PS3

Mitsubishi WD-73640 3D DLP HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1121-K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC America Formula F-12 Sub | JBL Studio 190x2 , 180x2, 130x2 (Rear Surrounds), 120c Speakers | Intel DX58SO | I7 975 @ 3.3Ghz | Windows 8.1 64bit
post #1003 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiman26 View Post

On top of that, every set is unique in it's own way.. The LEDs for the most part are pretty accurate when it comes to color, but there are differences in other parts of the sets.. So one persons calibrations may not work for another.. This is one reason why sets come from the factory with general settings.. From what I have read in the service menu, there are color co-ordinates taken at the factory, but for them to do a complete calibration would be counter productive when you are doing mass production.

Quite true. Which is why, I'm not really interested in any of the service menu PQ related settings, such as the gray scale, gamut, sub contrast, color, etc. What I reallly want to see are the settings in the expert menus after the expert parameter is set in the Option Byte menu. It would also help to know the setting of the Sel-p mode parameter in the White Balance menu. With vacations and the great outdoors of Michigan during the Summer, it's hard to find time to play with this stuff.

don...

post #1004 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 814
My calibration is scheduled for September even though I won't get my set delivered for over a week. I've had at least one calibration a year since 2001 when I got my first HD set. It has always been worth it. I'm looking forward to see what the LED DLP set can really do.
This will be my second calibration this year after getting my Toshiba DLP set calibrated 6 weeks ago.
I was hoping to sell my Toshiba but it looks like I might have to put it in my bedroom and dump my 2005 Samsung DLP set that is currently in the bedroom which I realy don't want to do, since I had every tweak possible performed on that set, plus the Toshiba is really too big for the bedroom at 65".

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1005 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

My calibration is scheduled for September... I'm looking forward to see what the LED DLP set can really do.

So are the rest of us--please keep us posted.
Also would like to hear from anyone else who has had their set calibrated.
Thanks

Dave

post #1006 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

The cost of a calibration varies with each calibrator for any number of reasons, including offering different services, travel required and the amount of work required for each calibratiion, e.g., whether you need only the HDMI input calibrated or whether you need all inputs calibrated. Unless prices have dropped this year, $200 seems to be on the low side for a full calibration. If he is covering everyting that you need, great find. Just make sure you understand what you are getting for your money. FWIW.

don...

post #1007 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been thinking of getting one of the Samsung LED sets but first I need to get rid of my huge Dinosaur Mits 55" CRT. I ran a add in the local paper trying to sell it, didn't get one call. I bet I couldn't give this huge monstrosity of a set away.
post #1008 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

F that. I don't see why TV manufacturers can't provide another preset labeled "Accurate" that is essentially pre-calibrated. Personally, it seems to me that if a TV can't produce accurate results out of the box, calibration should be a warranty claim. If someone finds the values to correct it, I don't see what's so wrong with sharing it.

That is precisely what the new Panasonic and LG plasmas which are THX certified do. They have a preset called "THX MovieMode". Though they still recommend calibration:

"We consider THX Movie Mode to be the best out of box experience possible. And since we test and evaluate each product, this setting is consistent across all display technologies. THX Movie Mode sets the red, green and blue primaries (color management), the luminance, as well as the black level, the correct value of gamma and correct tracking of the white-point with gamma. We opted to use white point instead of color temperature, since it is more precise. Many of these parameters are not accessible to consumers even from the service menu. So, THX Movie Mode provides them a simple way to get the right settings with just a push of a button. In addition, THX Movie Mode ensures that a display complies with the HDTV standards and will present HD content correctly."

http://www.audioholics.com/education...searchterm=thx
post #1009 of 15853 Old 07-10-2008, 11:47 PM

The following settings are recommended by TweakTV:

User Menu Settings
Picture Modes
Picture Mode : Movie
Color Temperature : Warm 2
Aspect Ratio : 16:9
Picture Settings
Contrast : 90
Brightness : 45
Sharpness : 20
Color : 50
Tint : G51/R49
Detailed Settings
Black Adjust : Off
Dynamic Contrast : Off
LED Control : Min
Gamma : -3
White Balance : 0
Fleshtone : 0
Edge Enhancement : Off
Picture Options
Color Tone : Warm 2
Size : 16:9
Position : Factory Default
Digital NR : Auto
DNIE : Off
HDMI Black Level : Normal
Film Mode : Off
Blue Only Mode : Off
Color Gammut : sRGB
3 D Effect : Off

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...hl-61a750.html
post #1010 of 15853 Old 07-11-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:

The cost of a calibration varies with each calibrator for any number of reasons, including offering different services, travel required and the amount of work required for each calibratiion, e.g., whether you need only the HDMI input calibrated or whether you need all inputs calibrated. Unless prices have dropped this year, $200 seems to be on the low side for a full calibration. If he is covering everyting that you need, great find. Just make sure you understand what you are getting for your money. FWIW.

Like everyone else, I would love to know who people have had do the calibration; and what the price generally has been. I also would LOVE to know the settings, but understand if people would rather not give them out. I am new to this and have never had a tv isf calibrated before, but am very interested. Does anyone have any recommendations around Columbus, OH?
post #1011 of 15853 Old 07-11-2008, 07:21 AM

I had the same issue with my 2001 Mitsu Diamond 55". I also had a quick solution. I donated it to a local adult day care center about 5 miles from our home. It was a true win-win situation, as they had an old 36" 4:3 TV. A supporter of the center came over with two helpers, and loaded it in their p/u. The center was thrilled. They got a much better TV, and I got a letter of value from them for the IRS tax deduction I intend to take on my 2008 taxes. As an added bonus, along with the letter was personally hand written notes from their clients thanking me for giving them a TV they could all actually see. They have 43 in the center daily. I was truly overwhelmed with emotion.

And I am loving my HL61A750! It exhibits none of the common issues of geometry that are discussed in this tread. I knew to handle it gently when I unpacked it because of what I had already read here.
post #1012 of 15853 Old 07-11-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I had my Sony CRT RPTV calibrated in 2000 and the user manu values were "centered" after the calibration. So, the values accessable to the user were of no value to others. The changes were within the maint. menu. I don't know whether this methodology is still used. I don't have enough hours on the set yet to plan a calib.

TerryB
post #1013 of 15853 Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am new to this and have never had a tv isf calibrated before, but am very interested. Does anyone have any recommendations around Columbus, OH?

I have never had a set professionally calibrated and thus can not offer direct, personal experience. However, two groups that do national calibration tours and get rave reviews in the calibration threads are Accucal (Jeff Meier) and Avical (Eliab Alverez de la Campa and David Abrams). Both web sites are good soruces of info as to what to expect to receive during a professional callibeation. FWIW.

don...

post #1014 of 15853 Old 07-11-2008, 09:23 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 View Post

I've been thinking of getting one of the Samsung LED sets but first I need to get rid of my huge Dinosaur Mits 55" CRT. I ran a add in the local paper trying to sell it, didn't get one call. I bet I couldn't give this huge monstrosity of a set away.

I guess one obvious thing to ask is what was your asking price? You could also try listing it on Craig's list - it might get better exposure than in the local paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambad7 View Post

I had the same issue with my 2001 Mitsu Diamond 55". I also had a quick solution. I donated it to a local adult day care center about 5 miles from our home. It was a true win-win situation, as they had an old 36" 4:3 TV. A supporter of the center came over with two helpers, and loaded it in their p/u. The center was thrilled. They got a much better TV, and I got a letter of value from them for the IRS tax deduction I intend to take on my 2008 taxes. As an added bonus, along with the letter was personally hand written notes from their clients thanking me for giving them a TV they could all actually see. They have 43 in the center daily. I was truly overwhelmed with emotion.

Out of curiosity, how much did the letter say the TV was worth, if you don't mind saying? I've got a (roughly) 2001 Mits Diamond 65", WS-65909, that I'll need to get rid of one way or another when I finally upgrade (still decided what to get and when). If the tax deduction is large enough, it would probably make more sense to go this route rather than trying to sell it - the resale value on these CRT RPTV's is definitely not very high.
post #1015 of 15853 Old 07-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Like everyone else, I would love to know who people have had do the calibration; and what the price generally has been. I also would LOVE to know the settings, but understand if people would rather not give them out. I am new to this and have never had a tv isf calibrated before, but am very interested. Does anyone have any recommendations around Columbus, OH?

The ISF website has a locator for finding calibrators: http://www.imagingscience.com/isf-trained.cfm

Here is one in Columbus:
Company Name Newcome Electronic Systems
Address 9005 Antares Ave.
City Columbus
State OH
ZIP Code 43240
Telephone (614) 848-5688
Fax (614) 848-9921
ISF Optical Comparator
post #1016 of 15853 Old 07-11-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:

I have never had a set professionally calibrated and thus can not offer direct, personal experience. However, two groups that do national calibration tours and get rave reviews in the calibration threads are Accucal (Jeff Meier) and Avical (Eliab Alverez de la Campa and David Abrams). Both web sites are good soruces of info as to what to expect to receive during a professional callibeation. FWIW.

Interesting that Avical claims that Samsung DLP's are "highly idiosyncratic", hence the extra $100 they charge to calibrate one.
post #1017 of 15853 Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 PM

I have a built in entertainment center and need a measurement from someone if possible. I need to know the distance from the front of the 61" set going to the back until the width of the set is 46-1/2". Someone helped me in the originally thread, but I have searched and can not find the answer and I believe it was a ballpark number not an exact one. Basically I have to slide this tv into the opening up until the width of the tv is 46-1/2". I need to know how much of the tv will be extending out past this point. My 56" HLS5687w extends out around 6" as an example. Thanks.
post #1018 of 15853 Old 07-11-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon65 View Post

I have a built in entertainment center and need a measurement from someone if possible. I need to know the distance from the front of the 61" set going to the back until the width of the set is 46-1/2". Someone helped me in the originally thread, but I have searched and can not find the answer and I believe it was a ballpark number not an exact one. Basically I have to slide this tv into the opening up until the width of the tv is 46-1/2". I need to know how much of the tv will be extending out past this point. My 56" HLS5687w extends out around 6" as an example. Thanks.

Approx 7" from the front of the screen, or 8.5" from the front edge of the base.
post #1019 of 15853 Old 07-11-2008, 01:35 PM

Rdgrimes, thanks for the help. Looks like my RCA 38310 is finally dieing in the bedroom, so I will my moving my HLS5687W in there and purchasing the 61A750 as a replacement for the main tv room. I can order it from Circuit City for $1849, plus 18 months no interest, which sounds like a good deal to me.
post #1020 of 15853 Old 07-11-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Approx 7" from the front of the screen, or 8.5" from the front edge of the base.

rdgrimes, if you don't mind I have a similar question. Could you tell me how wide the 61" is at around 12" from the front?

Thanks!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page