Forum Jump: 

post #10261 of 15746 Old 03-09-2009, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey View Post

I hate mine so much I can't get the s**t-eating grin off my face!

How's it going Lee? I've been tinkering with the DB Aperture and I still haven't been able to find a solution. Maybe some combination of settings which keep it locked in or the order in which things are done. I've got a few questions into some different Samsung DLP folks, but I haven't heard anything yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10262 of 15746 Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebdawg16 View Post

I need one of you DLPers to tell me how poor the image quality on the HL61A750 is when watching blu-ray or playing video games. Tell me about how plasma looks superior, and its worth having a smaller screen to get the added image quality

it sucks to have amazing PQ and movie viewing real estate for this price...which is a good segway
Quote:

. Tell me that buying a SECOND DLP, after they have been discontinued, would make me the laughing stock of the AV world. How there is more to life than having a big, bright, beautiful DLP.

considering i came off a ln46a650 and the prices 'better' lcds in the 9 series and panasonic or pioneer plasma's given cost...your idea is not too far off of what I would do with a larger house... basement viewing...this price point is hard to not have that thought. 67" downstairs and 61 in the living room.

sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

I'm pretty confident in my set... I will say I have a yamaha 663 AVR doing my hdmi switching and on Lee's settings. I too wish more parts would be available for those who are in the fold for repairs on this forum and its a bit troubling in the back of the mind about the future ability for repair if ever necessary.
post #10263 of 15746 Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I need one of you DLPers to tell me how poor the image quality on the HL61A750 is when watching blu-ray or playing video games.

That's were It Rules..
Two words
Its Tits

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10264 of 15746 Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I need one of you DLPers to tell me how poor the image quality on the HL61A750 is when watching blu-ray or playing video games. Tell me about how plasma looks superior, and its worth having a smaller screen to get the added image quality. Tell me that buying a SECOND DLP, after they have been discontinued, would make me the laughing stock of the AV world. How there is more to life than having a big, bright, beautiful DLP.

Sorry, I'm not a "real" gamer - just Wii games for the kids. Nice picture though. Can't imagine how good it would be if I had the component cables for the Wii, but it's not something I must have for bowling or Guitar Hero (since I truly suck at the latter).
Only a couple of Blu-Ray discs so far. Stupid purchase on my part. Talk about immature technology - it's full of "features", none of which overcome the annoyance of waiting 5 minutes for a disc to start. It's also missing a bunch of basic capabilities I got used to on regular DVD's. No offense, since I've done my share of damage, but this world is slowly going into the crapper because of IT. But that's another story. Anyone in the Denver area want to buy a barely used Panny BD55, let me know (not cheap, though). Oh, but the picture is awesome on the DLP.
I probably can't help you with the last item, either. I sold my 2nd gen HLN set to buy this one - after I know Samsung was getting out of the DLP biz. So you and I are both laughing stock. But the picture is wonderful - lots more available to adjust without getting into the service menu. I haven't had the ba**s to make the SM adjustments Lee's posted, but I'm very happy with what I've got. When that nagging "it could be better" feeling gets strong enough I'll probably pay for calibration.
I haven't experienced any serious problems. My HDMI connections work consistently (so far). The grid shows some bowing and color separation at the corners, but it's not something I can see watching actual images, vs. a grid.
You won't experience any problems with it either, if you don't get out and get one soon.

There is more to life than having a nice TV. Lots more. But a nice TV helps.
post #10265 of 15746 Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 PM

It's not science...just a little muscle. This is a well documented technique discussed in the earlier pages of this thread. It worked for me. Provided no major geometry issues (which may be a defect), this technique should work to bring the grid within spec. As much as I love this TV, it has a flimsy case compared to my old CRT RPTV--albeit about 200 lbs. lighter too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Magnum View Post

I've tried this and it doesn't work. For one thing, once you let go of the tv it pretty much goes back to where it was. For another, if you get one corner to look decent it usually makes another corner look worse. My geometry is far from perfect, but i've never noticed it during movies or regular tv, so i'm leaving it be. Bending on a tv just doesn't seem very scientific.

post #10266 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 12:44 AM

I mailed the NFL shop rebate on the 25th of Feb. Is it ok to be postmarked before the 28th deadline? or am I DOA?
post #10267 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I know that it is considered a sin here to use these "Entertainment" modes, but still, .. Has anyone documented what pre-set settings are implemented for these modes?

Depending on the source, I use the "Game" mode for some sports channels. And their Cinema is pretty close to some of the preferred Movie settings in Post #1.

It would be helpful anyway to find out settings what Samsung thinks that people will prefer for these pre-packaged Entertainment modes.
post #10268 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissmr View Post

I mailed the NFL shop rebate on the 25th of Feb. Is it ok to be postmarked before the 28th deadline? or am I DOA?

I don't think the postmark is any issue. However, the instructions state that the rebate must be RECEIVED by the 28th. Did you send it certified?

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10269 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:

This is not helpful

I need one of you DLPers to tell me how poor the image quality on the HL61A750 is when watching blu-ray or playing video games. Tell me about how plasma looks superior, and its worth having a smaller screen to get the added image quality. Tell me that buying a SECOND DLP, after they have been discontinued, would make me the laughing stock of the AV world. How there is more to life than having a big, bright, beautiful DLP.

Ok I'll try again a bit more scientifically to try to ease your pain.

1. DLPs are known for one of the best image quality for blurays and videogames.

2. When a DLP is calibrated, a calibrated plasmas' only advantage is better viewing angles. The IQ from both in ideal viewing conditions will be undiscerningly similar.

3. Laughing stock in the AV world? LMAO <-- Yeh, laughing my ass off. Real honest to goodness true blue videophiles don't bother with LCDs, nor Plasmas in their home theaters, only projection. So the ignorant HillBilly may laugh at you, but the educated sophisticate certainly won't.

4. Discontinuation means nothing but the manufacturers pathetic attempts to profit. the best CRTs of a decade ago will still be able to run circles around the best modern plasma regarding picture quality.

Short and sweet Conclusion

1. If you're buying a TV for the family room to watch mostly SD or 720p content, get the 50" plasma, the viewing angles will serve it's purpose, and the size won't matter much - But you should get the '09 720p 50" Panasonic for under a grand instead of wasting the extra money on a 1080p version of which you will see no additional benefits unless you sit up to two feet away. The 720p Panny is still able to play 1080p, just at 720p res - as if it matters at that size.

2. If you building a home theater and need an all in one video solution to simulate the cinema experience while fully appreciating the benefits of 1080p, there's only one choice for under 4 grand - the DLP.

OK, just remembered, that you can get a 58" plasma for around $2400 which is a nice substitute for the 61a750 - But for a grand more you get better extreme viewing angles and 3 less inches, oh and about 100 extra pounds and about 4-6 times hungrier for power.. Might be worth it to you, wasn't for me.

There, I hope this has been helpful.
post #10270 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post

I don't think the postmark is any issue. However, the instructions state that the rebate must be RECEIVED by the 28th. Did you send it certified?

I checked the status of my rebate last night. The website indicates they received it on 3/5/09. I mailed it on 1/26/09. I can't believe it took over a month! I am really wishing I would have sent it certified, but even then there is no way to contact the rebate center. All there is is the website. No phone number. I will be really ticked if I don't get the rebate.

I purchased the TV from Crutchfield on 1/12/09 and it was delivered on 1/22/09. The rebate offer went through 1/31/09. If mine took that long, anyone who bought at the end of the month is probably screwed too!!
post #10271 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post

Just curious what makes the Wide PC setting 1:1?

For those using HTPC, have you noticed that the HDMI black level is greyed out? How come HTMI black level is not adjustable when using a PC input?

I'm not sure but so is the "Blue Only" mode. Pretty annoying if you don't have the THX glasses for calibration. I think that if you set the color space to sRGB and set the video card to let your DVD player software dictate color space, the correct 16-235 color space is presented. If you enjoy pulling you hair out, check out this thread;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1090642

Go Hokies!
post #10272 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosh00 View Post

I checked the status of my rebate last night. The website indicates they received it on 3/5/09. I mailed it on 1/26/09. I can't believe it took over a month! I am really wishing I would have sent it certified, but even then there is no way to contact the rebate center. All there is is the website. No phone number. I will be really ticked if I don't get the rebate.

I bought mine on 1/28 and sent in the rebate around the middle of February. For a long time I didn't see any status at all, but now it shows a "date posted" on 3/6/09.

I'm still expecting to get the rebate. The rules say it need to be received by 2/28, not "posted" by 2/28.

My cable provider is Netflix
post #10273 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk View Post

I bought mine on 1/28 and sent in the rebate around the middle of February. For a long time I didn't see any status at all, but now it shows a "date posted" on 3/6/09.

I'm still expecting to get the rebate. The rules say it need to be received by 2/28, not "posted" by 2/28.

Boy, I hope that is the case. Otherwise Crutchfield and Samsung will be hearing from me.

Oh, but I do love the TV and hope to apply Lee's SM settings while I am on spring break next week!!
post #10274 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

How's it going Lee? I've been tinkering with the DB Aperture and I still haven't been able to find a solution. Maybe some combination of settings which keep it locked in or the order in which things are done. I've got a few questions into some different Samsung DLP folks, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Things are going just fine. As for the DB aperature, this won't be fixed unless someone like you gets some good word back from Samsung on the firmware writers fixing the bug in keeping the Aperature closed, and using the manual SB settings.

For the rest of you, even if you are not going to be using my settings. I'd like a PM with what your current CCA settings are. Trying to see just how close the factory sets these units.

post #10275 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey View Post

Things are going just fine. As for the DB aperature, this won't be fixed unless someone like you gets some good word back from Samsung on the firmware writers fixing the bug in keeping the Aperature closed, and using the manual SB settings.

For the rest of you, even if you are not going to be using my settings. I'd like a PM with what your current CCA settings are. Trying to see just how close the factory sets these units.

I spoke with a pro calibrator who owned an older Samsung DLP. He mentioned that the ability to made the setting stick was removed..that it's not a bug.
post #10276 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 07:32 AM

So you're saying that when you close the aperture in the SM, by the time you come back in to the SM, it's back to being open? I haven't noticed this on my set, but i was waiting for more info on the Overlap issue before i went back in.
post #10277 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Magnum View Post

So you're saying that when you close the aperture in the SM, by the time you come back in to the SM, it's back to being open? I haven't noticed this on my set, but i was waiting for more info on the Overlap issue before i went back in.

When you go from "Open" to "Close" you notice the screen gets darker. When you do one of these two things:

1. Exit the SM via a Power cycle of the display.
2. Exit the SM via a universal remote using the HEX code and then change the input or display mode.

...the aperture appears to open back up (you'll notice it gets brighter again) even though it still says closed in the SM. The setting doesn't hold.

Owners of older Samsung DLPs could change this option and it would stick, then others starting noticing that it wouldn't stick, finally (after a firmware update) they lost the ability to change the setting at all.
post #10278 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

When you go from "Open" to "Close" you notice the screen gets darker. When you do one of these two things:

1. Exit the SM via a Power cycle of the display.
2. Exit the SM via a universal remote using the HEX code and then change the input or display mode.

...the aperture appears to open back up (you'll notice it gets brighter again) even though it still says closed in the SM. The setting doesn't hold.

Owners of older Samsung DLPs could change this option and it would stick, then others starting noticing that it wouldn't stick, finally (after a firmware update) they lost the ability to change the setting at all.

I never saw a difference in brightness/darkness when I first closed the apature...Maybe on my firmware 1007.4, its a non-functioning item in the SM.
post #10279 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

I never saw a difference in brightness/darkness when I first closed the apature...Maybe on my firmware 1007.4, its a non-functioning item in the SM.

If you toggle DB from "On" to "Off" and then toggle DB Aperture from "Open" to Closed" you don't see a reduction in light output? Interesting...
post #10280 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

You have to go back in to the Service Menu main menu and then go back in to toggle SB off.

Just toggling will not change the setting. Must totally set the change and go back in.

Also I must set SB on and then set SB off too.

Lee's remote codes work, it is that you need to press the button twice to stick the setting and turn off the "Ageing" message. though powering off the tv will revert SB back to being On.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #10281 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am posting a link to my small home theater that I have. I have the Samsung 61A750 TV. It is a fabulous television. All of my equipment is listed on the site. I have never used the grid for aligning anything. I've calibrated it using settings I have gotten off of this forum. And yes, in the last photo, I use a Queen size black sheet to cover up the 61A750 when I'm gone for periods of time. I have a propane heater and dust is a nuisance for me. Thanks for everyone's help on this forum.

Scott

http://www.rscott11.com/hometheater/

MY HOME THEATER VIDEO!

post #10282 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 AM

^^^ Wicked nice yo
post #10283 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post

I am posting a link to my small home theater that I have. I have the Samsung 61A750 TV. It is a fabulous television. All of my equipment is listed on the site. I have never used the grid for aligning anything. I've calibrated it using settings I have gotten off of this forum. And yes, in the last photo, I use a Queen size black sheet to cover up the 61A750 when I'm gone for periods of time. I have a propane heater and dust is a nuisance for me. Thanks for everyone's help on this forum.

Scott

nice setup...we are both sufferers of Comcast's monthly billing I see... I have that same STB , the 3416.. i hope they step their game up and add spike,comedy central,and a few other HD channels soon..considering dish network has plans to do so by the month's end. (I think Charlie re-iterated this recently in one of his chats). I'm tired of the 'most HD' marketing that Comcast plasters everywhere... Let's not count the on demand content, because its far from HD quality imho. and although inching better and better..what comcast sends across it's lines at 9-12 Mbps leaves something to be desired, at least on most of the content (outside of ESPN)
post #10284 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I wish I could get Verizon Fios but I can't. Comcast are pretty much criminals in my book.

MY HOME THEATER VIDEO!

post #10285 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

none of which overcome the annoyance of waiting 5 minutes for a disc to start

You need to try a PS3. Lightning fast BD load times.

Back OT!
post #10286 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 10:15 AM

^^ and Rockband !!

Played that for the 1st time and on my 67" this past weekend..Folks were on the drums, guitar, and mike. Pumped the sound from the Wii to TV to surround sound via optical...freakin awesome party!!

-- After we all watched Taken on the big screen...Freakin awesome movie!!

Hey, here's an idea, it's getting kinda boring bragging / bitching about our TVs. And I think most of us are happy with our sets and current tweaks, some are even happy with the defaults, so why not incorporate a new topic like...Movie Reviews / discussions / recommendations and how well / poor they look on our huge screens with the settings you used...I'm always on the hunt for good BD movies like most of you.
post #10287 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

waiting 5 minutes for a disc to start

Quote:

You need to try a PS3. Lightning fast BD load times.

Is there anything else..
lol

post #10288 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnabis View Post

I took 3 pics of ESPN and 3 pics of a DVD, ESPN was in 1080i 60hz per the Info button from the remote. film mode was set to AUTO1. please see attached photo's...

Quote:

These are the pics of a DVD. Mummy3 on my ps3. info botton stated this was 1920x1080 60hz... the film mode was grayed out to off. could not change. let me know what you guys think. I can also get ahold of a bluray Tomorrow.

Hey guys please go back to page 342 and look at the attached pics... I can attach more from a bluray tonight too. please let me know what everyone thinks. thanks
post #10289 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Hey guys please go back to page 342 and look at the attached pics... I can attach more from a bluray tonight too. please let me know what everyone thinks. thanks

I have taken a look and I just have no clue what is going on there. I would call Samsung.
post #10290 of 15746 Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

let me know what everyone thinks.

I'd called a Tech out the 1st week..

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page