2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 15718 Old 07-18-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 256
O I see the rainbows but trust me guys once you get over the "OMG phase" I can see them everywhere, they really don't bother you nearly as much.
I was so freaked out when I seen them for the first week that I was trying to sell my set to a friend, but after a few weeks I can honestly say they don't bother me too much any more, simply because I'm not "looking" for them.
acceptance is your friend in this case for us few who do see it.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 15718 Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I've had my 61A750 since yesterday.

So far, very happy with picture. No bowing, no geometry issues. However, here are some issues:

1. Random audio drop out, when I was playing Wii today; it would randomly cut out for 1 sec (hooked up via component). This also happened when watching Batman Begins BR via HDMI.

2. Buzzing, depending on the image; it would buzz louder (like when the white Wii screen was on-BUZZ).

Other than these 2 problems; I am amazed at the picture quality and really happy. Any fix for these problems? Also, how can I check my FW?

Thanks in advance
post #1173 of 15718 Old 07-18-2008, 11:56 PM

Just got the HL61A750 today and so far it sems like a great set, except watching anything via HDMI from my HTPC my screen goes black every 1 to 5 minutes. Sometimes 3 times a minute. Its as if the HDMI loses its signal - audio continues to play, but the screen goes black for a few seconds and then it comes back and the HDMI box comes up in the top left part of the screen. Can't seem to figure out what is going on and won't be able to enjoy TV until this is resolved. Has anybody encountered this? I have the latest TV with latest firmware - 1006.1. This is crazy! Had to replace my excellent HP MD5580 due to poor reliability (outstanding 1080P picture with 150 watt bulb) and now I have to deal with this. Never had an issue with my HP via HDMI, but picture dropouts are horrible with this Samsung. If I can get this fixed I think I will be happy.
post #1174 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsmaniac02 View Post

When you just run the sound out from the tv to a stereo, it is fine for watching sources that are internally in the tv (i.e. antenna or cable (not ran through a cable box)) and you will still get 5.1 for the high def channels and whatnot.

DD 5.1 only with OTA, not cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsubwoofer View Post

Just got the HL61A750 today and so far it sems like a great set, except watching anything via HDMI from my HTPC my screen goes black every 1 to 5 minutes. Sometimes 3 times a minute. Its as if the HDMI loses its signal - audio continues to play, but the screen goes black for a few seconds and then it comes back and the HDMI box comes up in the top left part of the screen..

I don't see this with my HTPC with an nVidia 7800GT card and a DVI->HDMI connection. Perhaps the problem is on your PC side. Have you tried a vid card driver update?
post #1175 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 05:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

DD 5.1 only with OTA, not cable.

It doesn't have a QAM tuner?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1176 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsubwoofer View Post

Just got the HL61A750 today and so far it sems like a great set, except watching anything via HDMI from my HTPC my screen goes black every 1 to 5 minutes. Sometimes 3 times a minute. Its as if the HDMI loses its signal - audio continues to play, but the screen goes black for a few seconds and then it comes back and the HDMI box comes up in the top left part of the screen. Can't seem to figure out what is going on and won't be able to enjoy TV until this is resolved. Has anybody encountered this? I have the latest TV with latest firmware - 1006.1. This is crazy! Had to replace my excellent HP MD5580 due to poor reliability (outstanding 1080P picture with 150 watt bulb) and now I have to deal with this. Never had an issue with my HP via HDMI, but picture dropouts are horrible with this Samsung. If I can get this fixed I think I will be happy.

Nobody can help unless you say what you're connected to. Sounds like a handshake problem, and may not be the TV's fault.
post #1177 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It doesn't have a QAM tuner?

It does, but with a cable source (even straight, bypassing a STB), DD5.1 is downmixed to stereo for output via optical.
post #1178 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 08:50 AM

Anyone interested in fine-tuning it to work as multimedia desktop? Her'e s my findings so far, and questions.

I have connected it to my HTPC by HDMI. My video card is recent ATI, and here's some steps I discovered to make near perfect picture.

1. Connect the PC to DVI3

2. Assign a name 'PC' to this input (IMPORTANT!). Screen flickers and sets in a very special mode, with most options in picture menu locked down, optimized for HDMI PC input. This is a kind of a secret feature, it's not documented anywhere to my knowledgle, but gives much better results than just playing with tons of settings on unnamed DVI3.

3. Change stretch from "PC Wide" to "TV wide" (same as Just Scan by its effects), and color gamut to "sRGB"

4. Open your video card setup menu (I only know how to do it with ATI), set mode 1080p60 available, and apply it. Desktop sets to native resolution with slight overscan. Now compose custom mode with less pixels (I have set 1848x1040) playing with custom mode composer in video card menu and at the same time centering picture in TV menu.

See the results using Nokia Monitor Test 2 or similar program. Make sure there's no moire an artifacts on fine grids. On my setup I clearly see 2x2 checkerboard, and even 1x1 but very blurry

Now, questions. Is it possible to make text even more readable? Looks like white pixels are 'choking' blacks on borders. Is it possible to make white borders less aggressive, playing with service menu?
post #1179 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:

It does, but with a cable source (even straight, bypassing a STB), DD5.1 is downmixed to stereo for output via optical.

I don't have this problem with the digital channels over cable. The only channels that are stereo only are the analog channels.
post #1180 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Nobody can help unless you say what you're connected to. Sounds like a handshake problem, and may not be the TV's fault.

Don't point to the set until you check out another HDMI cable.
post #1181 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danondorf View Post

So far, very happy with picture. No bowing, no geometry issues. However, here are some issues:

1. Random audio drop out, when I was playing Wii today; it would randomly cut out for 1 sec (hooked up via component). This also happened when watching Batman Begins BR via HDMI.

2. Buzzing, depending on the image; it would buzz louder (like when the white Wii screen was on-BUZZ).

Other than these 2 problems; I am amazed at the picture quality and really happy. Any fix for these problems? Also, how can I check my FW?

Thanks in advance

Try turning the LED control to medium instead of auto.. I have noticed that if you have the set turned on to auto it gives full power to the LEDS most of the time.. If you set it to medium, it should quiet down a bit..
post #1182 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danondorf View Post

Thanks in advance

One way to check your Firmware is to download the FW 1005.3 off the Samsung website and copy it to a usb drive, pop it into the TV, Go into the menu and go into SW Upgrade, before it actually does the upgrade it will tell you what current FW you are running.

Mitsubishi WD-73640 3D DLP HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1121-K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC America Formula F-12 Sub | JBL Studio 190x2 , 180x2, 130x2 (Rear Surrounds), 120c Speakers | Intel DX58SO | I7 975 @ 3.3Ghz | Windows 8.1 64bit
post #1183 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

O I see the rainbows but trust me guys once you get over the "OMG phase" I can see them everywhere, they really don't bother you nearly as much.
I was so freaked out when I seen them for the first week that I was trying to sell my set to a friend, but after a few weeks I can honestly say they don't bother me too much any more, simply because I'm not "looking" for them.
acceptance is your friend in this case for us few who do see it.

Exactly, I find this to be more of a curiosity or oddity, that does not really detract from my enjoyment of the set at all. Sure, I can see the effect from time to time, or set up situations to force myself to see it, but it does not really bother me. Just accept the fact that our brains have such a tremendous processing and refresh rate capacity, that we are gifted with this ability, and get over it!
post #1184 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71 View Post

One way to check your Firmware is to download the FW 1005.3 off the Samsung website and copy it to a usb drive, pop it into the TV, Go into the menu and go into SW Upgrade, before it actually does the upgrade it will tell you what current FW you are running.

This is much easier :
- use menu to get to SW upgrade
- press info key on remote
post #1185 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So are you saying that when a cable is connected to the TV and it picks up the local HD channels with the QAM tuner, that even though all those channels are broadcast in 5.1, that the TV will downconvert it to 2.0 for output over optical?

LED DLP

post #1186 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiman26 View Post

I don't have this problem with the digital channels over cable. The only channels that are stereo only are the analog channels.

Really? Using the TV's QAM tuner? How are you connecting the cable? What STB do you have? What I'm doing now is splitting the cable with one feed to ANT and the other to the Moto6200 box, then out to COMP1. DD5.1 of course on COMP1, but only downmixed DD stereo on the straight cable connection via optical to my AVR.
post #1187 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So are you saying that when a cable is connected to the TV and it picks up the local HD channels with the QAM tuner, that even though all those channels are broadcast in 5.1, that the TV will downconvert it to 2.0 for output over optical?

Yes, that's what I'm seeing. Pretty sure it's been posted here before that only OTA DD5.1 sound is sent out over optical. I'd love to be wrong, though.
post #1188 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 11:56 AM

After lots of research, including reading every post in this thread, I ordered a 61a750 from Amazon on Sunday. CEVA delivered it at 8:30 Friday morning (yesterday) - they were in and out quickly enough that I was able to make it to work at a reasonable hour. After work I got things set up and used the settings from the first post in this thread. I have a PS3 and a Wii hooked up to it at the moment. I am coming from a mammoth Sony Wega 36" non-HD CRT - one of those that weighs 240 lbs and is almost as deep as it is wide. DirecTV is coming on Monday with an HD receiver.

I have absolutely zero problems with the set - I am either very lucky or not very sensitive to these things, but I never have had to return any consumer electronics - I guess I'm not very anal. Nonetheless, with this TV I was on notice of potential problems and really looked for them, and still found none. The geometry is fine and my set does not seem to suffer from the flimsiness others have complained of. The only benefit I could see to spending twice as much on a similar-sized plasma would be the improved viewing angle, but for me it's just not worth it. My next project is to research some audio options and once I decide on what to do about that my home theater should be complete. I also plan to have someone come in and calibrate this thing, even though it's 100% fine with the settings as it is. Maybe they'll surprise me and make it even better.

Anyway, just checking in to let others know about my problem-free purchase (I have a feeling I am in the majority but others with no problems feel no reason to post), and to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and made it an invaluable resource for me. I'd buy you all a beer but I guess that would be kind of difficult, logistically speaking.
post #1189 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm still waiting for my set to be delivered from BestBuy. I puchased it over 2 weeks ago now. I was going to get it delivered tomorrow, but my Omnimount G372 stand still hasn't been delivered so I needed to postpone the delivery until Thursday. Plus I still need to get rid of one of my older DLP sets. At least BestBuy has a 45 day return policy so I'll have plenty of time. Or does the 45 days start on the delivery day and not the pruchase day?
The OMnimount stand will be a bear to deal with. It weighs 180lbs, more than twice as much as the TV. Plus I have to hope that with a tip the delivery person will cart it down the steps into my condo. Otherwise I don't know what I will do.

LED DLP

post #1190 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have this set, but I have a Samsung plasma, and it doesn't do this. If the source is 5.1, it will pass 5.1 to my receiver. I would think if my (older) Samsung plasma could do that, so could one of their newer sets.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #1191 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the information about switching AV receivers. I'll have to see whats available out there. If anyone has a recomendation for one less than 400-500 $ please let me know.

Stupid question but if the FW is the '06 version, is it necessary to flash it with what the Samsung has on their web site?

Thanks,
Dwane
post #1192 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GACrabill View Post

This is much easier :
- use menu to get to SW upgrade
- press info key on remote

Or you could just do that lol

Mitsubishi WD-73640 3D DLP HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1121-K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC America Formula F-12 Sub | JBL Studio 190x2 , 180x2, 130x2 (Rear Surrounds), 120c Speakers | Intel DX58SO | I7 975 @ 3.3Ghz | Windows 8.1 64bit
post #1193 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

These TV sets do not pass 5:1 DD out through their optical-out ports, only down-mixed 2-ch stereo. The exception is OTA broadcast 5:1 audio, which is passed through. For Satellite and other 5:1 sources, you must be connected direct to the AVR.

This is the post that I was alluding to earlier (pg. 23, post #689).

The manual also explains this on page 15, that DD 5.1 output over optical is limited to OTA. This is what I'm seeing with my setup. So if anyone is able to get DD5.1 from a direct cable input, which uses the QAM tuner, I'd be very interested in knowing how.
post #1194 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 07:24 PM

i just cant believe all the problems with these brand new sets for $2000. rainbow, geometry, bowing. it makes me think twice about ordering it. but i am not sure about ordering from amazon because if there is something wrong with it i will have to wait for a new one vs just going back to the store.

however if i order one from amazon and it comes in and has some bowing will i just keep that TV until they ship the other and make the exchange with the delivery guys?
post #1195 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckshotEsq View Post

...Anyway, just checking in to let others know about my problem-free purchase (I have a feeling I am in the majority but others with no problems feel no reason to post), and to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and made it an invaluable resource for me. I'd buy you all a beer but I guess that would be kind of difficult, logistically speaking.

Congrats and welcome Buckshot! Ill take that beer as soon as you get those logistics figured out...

I agree completely regarding most people not having problems and thus having no reason to comment. That's often the case and is also very often overlooked by many people. I too have had no problems with my 61" set after about 2 months of very heavy use. I suspect that's the case for the vast majority of purchasers.

Stay in touch and let us know how things work out on the audio end, once you make that jump!
post #1196 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillNole View Post

I agree completely regarding most people not having problems and thus having no reason to comment. That's often the case and is also very often overlooked by many people. I too have had no problems with my 61" set after about 2 months of very heavy use. I suspect that's the case for the vast majority of purchasers.

Hear, hear I second that!

"To the last, I will grapple with thee...from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!" -- Khan Noonian Singh
post #1197 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 09:55 PM

I was going to buy a mit. dlp until I found out that it did not do 1:1 pixel mapping. Does this set do 1:1 and if so how does material (movies and pc games) look from a pc?

Has anyone noticed that the white colors on this set have a slight blue to them? I have been to 3 different stores and not a single employee can seem to adjust the white to just look 100% white?

Also the people at best buy warned me that replacement bulbs (led type) for this set cost twice as much as regular dlp replacement bulbs? Is there any truth to this?

I'm mainly looking at dlp for videogames because I was told by a store employee that dlp has the least amount of lag. He also went on to say that the regular dlp is quicker than the led dlp for fast games? Is there any truth to this?

Thanks

Edit: Also realistically is the energy savings that drastic when it comes to led versus a lamp dlp? Many places I have read say it's only around $2 more a month for a regular dlp set energy consumption?
post #1198 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 10:39 PM

^ The main reason for the LED over the lamp is the LED has a FAR higher MTBF (mean time between failures) than tradition lamps do. Samsung has stated that this model is 40% brighter than the previous LED model (this is an LED Gen2 HDTV). Overall, the DLP is going to require less power (that goes for all manufacturers) over say a plasma but I don't think the LED vs Lamp saves THAT much power.
post #1199 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 10:49 PM

The LED's are supposed to last the life of the TV, that's the advantage--that you don't have to replace the bulb.

"Green" TV. The LED set uses much less power than bulb based sets and has one of the lowest energy consumption of TV's. Note that actual energy usage is less than the max rated watts listed on the TV.
According to measurements done by jayquinty, On: 119 Watts. Crutchfield measured off usage at only .6 Watts. It is one of the greenest TV's you can buy, especially for it's size.
post #1200 of 15718 Old 07-19-2008, 11:23 PM

I apologize for digging up something that may have been thoroughly discussed. I re-read the FAQ and spent quite a while searching the thread and I couldn't find an answer.

I have had my 61A750 for several months now and am very happy with it. It has done great with the DVR, OTA HD, and DVDs. Now I have finally finished a HTPC and I have gotten a little aggravated. I am sending 1920x1080 to the TV through two pathways. The signal originates in a ATI4850 and I am running both DVI outputs in Clone.

The top output is connected directly to HDMI input #3 with a DVI to HDMI cable. For this connection I cannot access Just Scan and the best image I can receive has a 1" black border on the sides and about a half inch on the top and bottom. The only view options are TV Wide, PC Wide, PC 4:3. No Just Scan option.

The bottom output has the DVI to HDMI dongle on it and is connected to a regular HDMI cable to my Yamaha receiver. That passes the signal on to the HDMI#2 input. For this setup I get overscan and have the thickness of about half of the task bar chopped off on all four sides. The pictures is otherwise very sharp.

Because I intend to play movies, games, and generally use it as a computer I would be nervous about generating some bizarre custom resolution that fits. Is there is simple solution, or am I just going to have to pick my poison and deal with it?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page