Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1991 View Post

You do seem to be slightly confused, the reciever is connected to the TV via HDMI. I think the reciever has one HDMI output that goes to a TV so that is going into the TV HDMI input 1. So you don't think that HDMI can send sound to the reciever like that?

Exactly, the receiver is the source and it's OUPUT is connected to the TV's INPUT. I've never seen a TV that could send any signal out of it's HDMI input.

Quote:

For some reason I could not get the cable box to work directly hooked into the reciever (no sound or picture), I don't know why but my temporary workaround (until I get an HD box with HDMI) was to simply connect the DTV box to the TV.

Do you have the HDMI Monitor setting on your Onkyo set to on? If so, all your sources should be upconverted and output through the HDMI out (as well as the onscreen setup menu for the receiver), see pages 47-48 in the manual. Once you get the new HD DTV box, you'll still be in a similar situation as now. You'll have to connect an HDMI out on the DTV box to a second HDMI input on the TV, and still have an optical cable going from the DTV to the Onkyo. Unless you ditch the DVD player and use the PS3 for your DVD/Blu-ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I am having a slight set-up problem, maybe one of you can help.

I have this TV and an Onkyo 605 reciever.

Here is how it is set up.

TV to Reciever = HDMI
PS3 to Reciever = HDMI port 1
DVD player to Reciever = HDMI port 2
Direct TV box = TV Compnent 1 (I do not have a HD box yet)

In this configuration I, coud not get sound for DTV to the reciever. After reading the instructions for both the TV and reciever I ended up slapping a Optical between them and it worked. But that kind of defeats the purpose of running the HDMI between the two doesn't it? Is there a way to transfer the sound from the TV to the reciever through HDMI?

The ONKYO 605 DOES NOT convert all incoming signals to HDMI. You must run a seperate COMPONENT Cable via COMPONENT OUT into your TV. You also need to run a seperate Audio Cable. This option is User Preference as to where you want to audio to come from TV or Receiver

EX:

COMPONENT: OUT- Component Cable into the TV
DIRECTV: Component Cable from the Box into COMPONENT 1 of the Receiver
post #123 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

The ONKYO 605 DOES NOT convert all incoming signals to HDMI. You must run a seperate COMPONENT Cable via COMPONENT OUT into your TV. You also need to run a seperate Audio Cable. This option is User Preference as to where you want to audio to come from TV or Receiver

EX:

COMPONENT: OUT- Component Cable into the TV
DIRECTV: Component Cable from the Box into COMPONENT 1 of the Receiver

It's weird that the manual says it does then. . .

A little more looking around and it looks like there are issues converting 1080p component to HDMI with this receiver, but I doubt that's an issue here. The only other problem that I can think of at the moment would be if the TV can't take a 720p signal on the HDMI, as the upconversion with the Onkyo is only 720p.

Both the manual and this review say the receiver can convert analog to HDMI:
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...?tag=cnetfd.mt

This is referenced in the review for how to change the HDMI upconversion resolution:
http://help.cnet.com/9602-12576_39-0...sageID=2510170
post #124 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by telero View Post

It's weird that the manual says it does then. . .

A little more looking around and it looks like there are issues converting 1080p component to HDMI with this receiver, but I doubt that's an issue here. The only other problem that I can think of at the moment would be if the TV can't take a 720p signal on the HDMI, as the upconversion with the Onkyo is only 720p.

Both the manual and this review say the receiver can convert analog to HDMI:
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...?tag=cnetfd.mt

This is referenced in the review for how to change the HDMI upconversion resolution:
http://help.cnet.com/9602-12576_39-0...sageID=2510170

From what I know you cannot up-convert via the HDMI-OUT. I own the 605 & tried. It just can't happen. I have my 360 connected to my 605 via Component & in order to get VIDEO I needed to run another Component Cable from the Component Out(605) into my Component Input of my TV.

Here's a quote from that CNET Review confirming what I'm saying:

Quote:

While the analog-to-digital video conversion is overall a nice feature for convenience, there are a couple of quirks on the TX-SR605. For example, those planning to use the TX-SR605 with 1080i signals via a component video input will be disappointed to find out that all 1080i signals via component are downconverted to 720p when output over the HDMI output. Furthermore, 1080p signals via the component video input cannot be output via the HDMI output at all.

I would say to the OP check-out the Officail 605 thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=854964
post #125 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATman94 View Post

I just saw a post in another related board that the HL67A750 now on display at some stores seems to have a thicker frame than the HL61A750 which could help with geometry issues.

As soon as someone acquires the HL67A750 I would be curious to know their impressions, and if any problems are observed.

Thanks in advance.

ABT is listing the 67A750 on their website. There is a $375 difference between the 67 and the 61. I'm going to take a ride to ABT( I live about 50 miles away) either this weekend or next. If I do, I'll keep you in mind.
post #126 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPOnion View Post

Hah, mine's in the exact same situation. Arrived in Columbus after leaving Harrisburg. It got there last night, though...but considering I'm in Reno, I doubt I'll get it for a while. **sigh** Reading the new posts on this thread makes me want this TV sooner.

OK, WTF is up with Amazon's tracking system? When I first saw that it arrived in Columbus, it said it arrived at 1:06am, 5/22. If I look at it now, it says 12:52am, 5/23. They're moving the arrival date back. Any idea why? Is it to make it seem like it's not sitting there as long as it really will be?

I want to replace my ~8year old budget 27" TV now...
post #127 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 12:05 PM

Hey guys
I went to BB the other day to gaze upon the 61A750. It's a gorgeous TV, but from what I saw in the store, the vertical viewing angle was... well... horrible. Even positioning my head so the tv was at eye-level, I could still see a non-uniform picture whenever a commercial with a solid color background came on. I realize this is an RPTV we're talking about so yeah the viewing angle is going to be an issue but... is that the kind of viewing angle I could expect with the TV at home in a dark room, or does the brightness of the show floor make the viewing angle worse than it would be?
post #128 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:

From what I know you cannot up-convert via the HDMI-OUT. I own the 605 & tried. It just can't happen. I have my 360 connected to my 605 via Component & in order to get VIDEO I needed to run another Component Cable from the Component Out(605) into my Component Input of my TV.

Here's a quote from that CNET Review confirming what I'm saying:

But that also says that analog to digital conversion (component to HDMI) is possible. And as far as I know, the box we're talking about is a DirecTV box and isn't capable of 1080p over component. (There isn't any 1080p DirecTV equipment that I know of...)

Quote:

I would say to the OP check-out the Officail 605 thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=854964

I agree. This is getting a little OT. Unless the TV isn't capable of displaying the 720p signal via HDMI from the converted component signal, this is really a receiver issue.
post #129 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 12:22 PM

Well, against all odds, the TV got here today. I got a call from CEVA on Thursday at 10:30a to schedule delivery. I didn't get the call, but did return it 1:30p, got ahold of someone other than the origninal caller, and set up delivery between 10a and 3p for today. This morning I get a call at 10a again from CEVA, the lady said that since I hadn't gotten back in touch with her, she scheduled a smaller truck and the TV was one of 2 items that couldn't fit, so they got left behind.

I told her that I did call back and set up the delivery time and she even said she knew I had, so I can only guess that since it took me 3 hours to get back in touch with her, she had already ordered a truck that wasn't big enough. I'm not sure, never did get a good explanation. Anyway, I told her that I had a confirmed delivery time and took the day off work to be here to receive it and had dismantled my whole entertainment center in preparation for it to be here today. She said she would call their dispatcher and give me a call back.

So, needless to say I was mad and frustrated. 40 minutes later, she calls back and saysshe got permission for dispatch to bring in another shipping company that will be hauling only my TV and that the truck was on it's way to get it at their warehouse. I was shocked, to say the least and appreciative. They arrived here at 2pm and the set looks great, although I have only run a test pattern so far. Time to start playing!
post #130 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 12:26 PM

Does anyone else have a problem with fan noise when the volume is do pretty low?

Maybe I am just picky but I took our first tv back because of the buzzing some complain of on dynamic mode I can also hear it on standard mode. I have turned the contrast down and the buzzing is livable now.

But the fan on the second tv is much louder than the first. The samsung repair tech came to the house and said they all to that. Did not want to hear that our first tv did not.
post #131 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasamuneXGP View Post

Hey guys
I went to BB the other day to gaze upon the 61A750. It's a gorgeous TV, but from what I saw in the store, the vertical viewing angle was... well... horrible. Even positioning my head so the tv was at eye-level, I could still see a non-uniform picture whenever a commercial with a solid color background came on. I realize this is an RPTV we're talking about so yeah the viewing angle is going to be an issue but... is that the kind of viewing angle I could expect with the TV at home in a dark room, or does the brightness of the show floor make the viewing angle worse than it would be?

The viewing angle on my set, as well as on the one on display at CC that I viewed prior to ordering mine, is very impressive actually. I wonder if there might not be something wrong with the set itself, or the setup of the one you saw...

Try another location if you can find one nearby and take another look!
post #132 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 06:57 PM

Why is it that LEDs dont produce true whites. Was in CC and was real intrested in the 67 and the whites were terrible. Is there a way to adjust it to produce better white ?

TV was next to a Mitsu 65735 and there was no comparison , also noticed that it still isnt nearly as brite as a bulb either. I thought this new LED was supposed to be brighter ?

My last 2 TVs have both been Sammys but that Mitsu looked much better , even after making some adjustments to the Sammy. Id love a 67 LED , but was very dissapointed in the comparison next to the Mitsu , and im NOT a Mitsu fan.
post #133 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Quest View Post

Why is it that LEDs dont produce true whites...Is there a way to adjust it to produce better white?

After calibration, my HL61A750 nails reference D65 white almost perfectly. This set is capable of extremely bright, extremely good picture quality. Most CC & BB stores are not equipped for or interested in making any given TV look its best. It's much easier to leave all the sets in "torch mode" because that cartoony look really sells.
post #134 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post

After calibration, my HL61A750 nails reference D65 white almost perfectly. This set is capable of extremely bright, extremely good picture quality. Most CC & BB stores are not equipped for or interested in making any given TV look its best. It's much easier to leave all the sets in "torch mode" because that cartoony look really sells.

I agree with store settings however i took TV off of the dynamic setting and still the bottom line is it didnt come close to the natural look and true color of the Mitsu.

What level of calibration did you do , did you pay someone to come in and set it up or did you buy one of those self DVDs and adjust yourself ?

Did you post your settings ? I appreciate your feedback , thanks
post #135 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:

What level of calibration did you do , did you pay someone to come in and set it up or did you buy one of those self DVDs and adjust yourself?...Did you post your settings?

I did it myself, approximating what I'd pay someone else to do: adjust some user controls, and some in the service menu. I posted my settings and more, here.
post #136 of 15706 Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPOnion View Post

OK, WTF is up with Amazon's tracking system? When I first saw that it arrived in Columbus, it said it arrived at 1:06am, 5/22. If I look at it now, it says 12:52am, 5/23. They're moving the arrival date back. Any idea why? Is it to make it seem like it's not sitting there as long as it really will be?

I want to replace my ~8year old budget 27" TV now...

ont sure why they would do that

but I live outside Detroit MI and I see packages come from fedex and ups both go to Columbus and then to Detroit then to Columbus again and finally to the sort facility in Taylor or Livonia

so it actually goes from Ohio to Michigan back to Ohio and then back to Michigan - I have called and asked about this everytime I order something but no one has an answer for me - also the ship date always gets puched back 1 day because of this crap

I want the retro skin back please
post #137 of 15706 Old 05-24-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_Mtneer View Post

Does anyone else have a problem with fan noise when the volume is do pretty low?

Maybe I am just picky but I took our first tv back because of the buzzing some complain of on dynamic mode I can also hear it on standard mode. I have turned the contrast down and the buzzing is livable now.

But the fan on the second tv is much louder than the first. The samsung repair tech came to the house and said they all to that. Did not want to hear that our first tv did not.

Do you have the 61A750? I posted a while back that I could barely hear my fan I was worried it may not have been running. Does your fan run after you shut the TV off? The noise I am hearing turns off after I turn the TV off. I can't hear any noise unless i stick my head behind the TV and like I said it is not very audible.
post #138 of 15706 Old 05-24-2008, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

I don't have an Xbox, so I can't say how it should be hooked up. But, from searching the forums, I thiink the best way is to have the Xbox 360 set to "Standard" rather than "Expanded". Can someone with an Xbox please confirm or post the best settings so I can add them to the FAQ?

I took a look at this over component (my 360 does not have HDMI), color gamut set to sRGB, Black Adjust and Dynamic Contrast set to off.

The Xbox360 has 3 options for black level. Note it will only affect 480p output and DVD playback:

Standard - Displays blacker than black. To get blacker than black to just blend into the backgroud I had to reduce brightness to 30

Intermediate - Displays blacker than black with a darker picture. To get blacker than black to just blend into the background I had to set brightness at 38

Extended - Does not display blacker than black. Brightness at 45 appeared correct.
post #139 of 15706 Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 PM

Ok, serious problem here and my wife is ready to kill me!!!
My connections
Direct tv to tv-hdmi
ps3 to tv-hdmi
tv to sony receiver-optical
whenever i turn on my ps3 and it goes into the psn menu the sound is blaring thru my tv (the little psn chime and navigating the menu)????? I mean blaring.... I had set the tv sound to off when we got it and there is no problem while watching satellite tv (directtv) with getting sound thru the receiver.
Just now, for the first time in the week and a half I have had the tv my ps3 asked me (or is it the tv) if I wanted audio and video thru the HDMI it detected?????
Is this the problem? The hdmi audio from the ps3????? I know its not the receiver b/c it can be off and the sound still comes thru the TV although its set not too.....
Please help or I will get bludgeoned by the boss if I wake her or the kids from naps...
Thanks and I hope this makes sense.
post #140 of 15706 Old 05-24-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You should connect optical cables to the receiver, not the tv! TV will only pass DD 2.0
post #141 of 15706 Old 05-24-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:

I did it myself, approximating what I'd pay someone else to do: adjust some user controls, and some in the service menu. I posted my settings and more, here.

StevenZ...

Just wanted to say that we tried your settings on our 67" and it really brought it to life! Thanks for posting those, everyone should give them a try and see for themselves.

Peace
MR
post #142 of 15706 Old 05-24-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post

ont sure why they would do that

but I live outside Detroit MI and I see packages come from fedex and ups both go to Columbus and then to Detroit then to Columbus again and finally to the sort facility in Taylor or Livonia

so it actually goes from Ohio to Michigan back to Ohio and then back to Michigan - I have called and asked about this everytime I order something but no one has an answer for me - also the ship date always gets puched back 1 day because of this crap

And now it's saying it arrived in Columbus at 9am on 5/24... This is the second time the date's changed that I've seen. I don't mind that it's sitting in the warehouse for the weekend, just don't try to decieve me.

FYI, doesn't look like it's arriving in Columbus, leaving and coming back. It's only got 2 entries in the tracking system so far, leaving Harrisburg, PA and arriving in Columbus... Wierd
post #143 of 15706 Old 05-24-2008, 10:50 PM

Anyone with one of these sets who upgraded from a Samsung HL-P5663W? I'm trying to decide between this set and the smaller LN52A650 LCD.

I'm not anxious to lose four diagonal inches, but I'm wondering if this set will show a dramatic picture quality improvement over my 2004 DLP. I've heard nothing but raves over the LN52A650.
post #144 of 15706 Old 05-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennya View Post

Anyone with one of these sets who upgraded from a Samsung HL-P5663W? I'm trying to decide between this set and the smaller LN52A650 LCD.

I'm not anxious to lose four diagonal inches, but I'm wondering if this set will show a dramatic picture quality improvement over my 2004 DLP. I've heard nothing but raves over the LN52A650.

If you don't mind going a bit smaller, why not just go for a 50" plasma instead? That's probably what I'd do in that case -- don't really care for the LCD look. Wish I could afford the 58" plasma myself, but that's ~$1K more than the 61" LED DLP in this thread...

_Man_
post #145 of 15706 Old 05-25-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:

StevenZ,

Keep the updates coming as you continue to tweak! Unfortunately, I don't have a good eye for tweaking, though I can certainly notice the difference when trying somebody else's settings! So far, I like your's best!

I'm not sure what you meant regarding "approximating what I'd pay someone else to do..." Regardless, I like your results and thank you for sharing!
post #146 of 15706 Old 05-25-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

You should connect optical cables to the receiver, not the tv! TV will only pass DD 2.0

confused...optical from ps3 to receiver???? how will the tv's (direct tv)audio go thru the receiver then?
post #147 of 15706 Old 05-25-2008, 05:32 PM

do we have a comparison between this and LCD (say sony XBR4 etc) and other plasma tvs. +/- for each one etc. thanks.
post #148 of 15706 Old 05-25-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Why is it that LEDs dont produce true whites. Was in CC and was real intrested in the 67 and the whites were terrible. Is there a way to adjust it to produce better white ?

TV was next to a Mitsu 65735 and there was no comparison , also noticed that it still isnt nearly as brite as a bulb either. I thought this new LED was supposed to be brighter ?

My last 2 TVs have both been Sammys but that Mitsu looked much better , even after making some adjustments to the Sammy. Id love a 67 LED , but was very dissapointed in the comparison next to the Mitsu , and im NOT a Mitsu fan.

Sorry to here you were dissapointed by the whites and picture quality.This is my third Sammy dlp.I received the 67" Wednesday from Abt for $2.250 from Megan & Abt Electronics..It is such a value for the size and picture quality.
The pic out of the box is great.I set sharpness to 50 and am using dynamic on with dnie off.It has such depth and a 3-d look.My friends are in awe.Seem's to work for me .I am fortunate that I have had no bugs,whatsover,no bowing,power off.I have another 20 days to find a lower price which Abt's,that will match.Enjoy.
post #149 of 15706 Old 05-25-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermansa View Post

confused...optical from ps3 to receiver???? how will the tv's (direct tv)audio go thru the receiver then?

By connecting it to the TV with an optical cable. Check the manual/FAQ. You do not want to route ANY of your audio signals through the TV. That will severely limit your audio to 2 channel only. The optical output for the TV is only meant to carry the audio from over the air broadcasts to your receiver. EVERYTHING else should go directly to the TV. The TV is NOT an audio switch, (as nice as that might be for some).

Hope I made it clear - wire all audio directly to your receiver, route nothing through the TV.
post #150 of 15706 Old 05-25-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've settled back on "Expanded" on the Reference Level (under display menu) on a 360 connected by VGA. Remember you have to have an updated 360 to see this choice.

I found discussion elsewhere that Sammy DLPs are "0 IRE" devices and after watching a standard "I Am Legend" DVD which has a lot of dark scenes, I'm convinced things look better with Expanded vs. Standard.

If anyone has the Halo 3 Calibration disc, have you ever gotten the grunts to disappear on the contrast calibration? I couldn't get them to disappear on my old HLN DLP and not on this one either.

Just to review, if you have a 360 with HDMI, that's great, but if you have one that came out before that you are pretty much stuck and can't upgrade, unless you want the wrath of lack of full access to all your downloaded PURCHASED DRM-restricted content to bite you.

I don't think there is any question VGA is the way to go vs. component, plus that saves wasting a HDMI port on the TV even if you have HDMI.

Matt
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page