2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 526 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #15751 of 15757 Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used Arctic Silver Ceramique. Applied ~1.5 years ago. First stuck pixels showed up about 3 months ago. Fans and heatsinks were all cleaned thoroughly at that time. So it might not make any difference. They might just go when they go with age and years of non-terminal heat. I have maybe 20 dots now. Not getting any worse. Seemed to all happen over a month period and then not get worse. House was air-conditioned. Ambient air was not any higher when these failures happened.

The ceramique supposedly lasts longer. That is it stays liquid, heat cycles do not effect it. The tube is 10 years old, and still going into PC builds and still working great. Its also non-conductive. AS5 is. AS5 tends to dry out. Not sure if that is a concern for anyone. Just mentioning.

But the point is, I still got failures. TV was a 2008 purchase. I want to say there is like 10 or 12k hours on it at this point. Waiting another month or so to replace the DMD. Waiting for something else to break lol.

Last edited by agentrnge; Yesterday at 01:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15752 of 15757 Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentrnge View Post
I used Arctic Silver Ceramique. Applied ~1.5 years ago. First stuck pixels showed up about 2 months ago. Fans and heatsinks were all cleaned thoroughly at that time. So it might not make any difference. They might just go when they go with age and years of non-terminal heat. I have maybe 20 dots now. Not getting any worse. Seemed to all happen over a 3 week period and then not get worse. House was air-conditioned. Ambient air was not any higher when these failures happened.

The ceramique supposedly lasts longer. That is it stays liquid, heat cycles do not effect it. The tube is 10 years old, and still going into PC builds and still working great. Its also non-conductive. AS5 is. AS5 tends to dry out. Not sure if that is a concern for anyone. Just mentioning.

But the point is, I still got failures. TV was a 2007 purchase. I want to say there is like 10 or 12k hours on it at this point. Waiting another month or so to replace the DMD. Waiting for something else to break lol.
Interesting, I have never heard of the ceramique, but I'll look into it. Just to clarify, did you apply that to the original chip, or is this going to be your second replacement already? I'm hoping the former.
post #15753 of 15757 Old 09-29-2014, 07:57 AM

Yes, I am still on my original DMD chip. I cleaned off the old thermal pad and applied new thermal paste to the original chip and heatsink. I did the same for all the LEDs. I had the set opened up to replace a faulty LED driver board ( which burned out 2 blue LEDs ) When reading about those issues I came across several posts about the DMD heat issues and thought I would fix the issue proactively with better thermal paste. so much for that plan.
post #15754 of 15757 Old 09-29-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Yes, I am still on my original DMD chip. I cleaned off the old thermal pad and applied new thermal paste to the original chip and heatsink. I did the same for all the LEDs. I had the set opened up to replace a faulty LED driver board ( which burned out 2 blue LEDs ) When reading about those issues I came across several posts about the DMD heat issues and thought I would fix the issue proactively with better thermal paste. so much for that plan.
It's been reported several times that this is not a normal failure mode for DMD chips, and that Texas Instruments had produced a bad batch. Nothing will stop the failure if your TV has these particular chips. TI has been replacing the chips for free to manufacturers, and that's why Mitsubishi has been fixing these for their customers. You could check with Samsung to see if they are doing the same.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15755 of 15757 Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
It's been reported several times that this is not a normal failure mode for DMD chips, and that Texas Instruments had produced a bad batch. Nothing will stop the failure if your TV has these particular chips. TI has been replacing the chips for free to manufacturers, and that's why Mitsubishi has been fixing these for their customers. You could check with Samsung to see if they are doing the same.
Oh awesome. Good to know. I will give them a call and hope for the best. Thanks.
post #15756 of 15757 Old 09-29-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Oh awesome. Good to know. I will give them a call and hope for the best. Thanks.
Not to downplay the good advice here, but I read through multiple threads on this issue, and our set is not covered as far as I can tell. Most people get told it will cost them $300-$400 for a Sammy tech to come out and replace the chip. I'd rather do it myself.
post #15757 of 15757 Old 09-29-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
Not to downplay the good advice here, but I read through multiple threads on this issue, and our set is not covered as far as I can tell. Most people get told it will cost them $300-$400 for a Sammy tech to come out and replace the chip. I'd rather do it myself.
Yeah, I don't know what Samsung is doing. Mitsubishi sent a tech out and replaced the DMD in my 2008 model for free.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page