Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1561 of 15885 Old 07-31-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 849
I guess I should check the temp by the exhaust panel tonight. It will give me a chance to use my Infrared Temperature Gun.

I just know I hear the fan and the set only seems slightly quieter than the 65" Toshiba DLP it replaced.

But I have been pleased with the picture. My only complaint is the uneven focus on the right side of the screen which will be adjusted when i get my calibration.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 15885 Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ceva dropped off a 67A750 this afternoon. They were antsy to get going so I blew through the startup screens so I could throw up the grid and surfed a few channels to see if things were OK. Now I want to go back and fill in the startup screens. A search told me to go to the "plug and play" on the menu, but it's greyed out. How can I go back and fill in the startup screens?

BTW - thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

thx,
Mike
post #1563 of 15885 Old 07-31-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1313 View Post

If an impact was bad enough to damage the grills, it could certainly have damaged something else, considering how close everything is bunched together. If you don't mind waiting again, it might be best to swap out for another one, because you will probably always be worrying about it, instead of enjoying a great set.

I agree with Brian on this aspect. You just don't know if something else was damaged inside that might not manifest itself until a few months down the road. Or maybe not. But, for me, I'd rather take the chance on another set's geometry situation than worrrying about what might go wrong later. That would drive me nuts.

Of course, what kind of refund was offered? That could be the deciding factor.
post #1564 of 15885 Old 07-31-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm_mike View Post

Ceva dropped off a 67A750 this afternoon. They were antsy to get going so I blew through the startup screens so I could throw up the grid and surfed a few channels to see if things were OK. Now I want to go back and fill in the startup screens. A search told me to go to the "plug and play" on the menu, but it's greyed out. How can I go back and fill in the startup screens?

BTW - thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

thx,
Mike

Do a system reset, this is what I did. I don't remember how I did it, but I found it in the manual.

LED DLP
post #1565 of 15885 Old 07-31-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I hear the fan in my set all the time if I have the volume down. It is louder than I thought it would be but I can't hear it at normal volume levels.
I wonder if the firmware affects the fan speed since I put 1005.3 on but it came with 1006.1

I did check the exhaust air, it doesn't seem hot.
I also checked trhe audio level of the fan again. It seems to be as loud as the two TiVos I have under the left side of the TV.
I guess it seems loud to me because I can hear the fan from a TiVo at 20 feet away when it is quiet, so I easily notice the fan in the TV when it's quiet.

LED DLP
post #1566 of 15885 Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Romulus View Post

I agree. My 61" is barely audiable when I put my head behind the set. I have forgotten it's on several times after turning off the Wii/XBOX/PS3/etc... LoL

I need to see if there is some sort of timer on there that will turn it off if it doesn't receive a signal for a certain period of time...

If there is something that would shut it off after a while without a signal, it makes no mention of it in the manual. I agree that would be a cool feature though, in case you got distracted by something and totally forgot about the TV.
post #1567 of 15885 Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:

I hear the fan in my set all the time if I have the volume down. It is louder than I thought it would be but I can't hear it at normal volume levels.
I wonder if the firmware affects the fan speed since I put 1005.3 on but it came with 1006.1

Just my two cents on fan noise. Based on the three sets that I've had, including two that I took back, my observations are as follows, in order of the least noisy set first:

1. 67" LED Samsung.....this thing is awesomely quiet, making it the perfect set for me, as I obsess over anything that distracts me from what I'm watching.

2. 73" Mits 833 Diamond....the sound this makes is more annoying than loud....as quiet, but high pitched sound that sort of stabbed my ears, but was usually not audible at normal viewing volume or distance. Set was returned due to poor pic compared to cost.

3. 72" series 6 Samsung.....this thing's color wheel sounded like a band saw....loved the pic and size, but couldn't tolerate the noise. The second one my dad bought was loud too, but was placed in a bigger room, and viewing distance was farther away, so not much of an issue for him.

I think that the new LEDs should be quiet. Being as how all their is is a fan to move air and cool the LED, if the TV is way loud, there could be an issue there. Lamp based models may always have some issue with noise because of the danged color wheel. I think that maybe companies did not anticipate this being as much of an issue as it is, maybe thinking that if the pic was great, people would accept it, but I hope they realize that these things are TVs, and not dishwashers. Fan noise should never take away from the experience of what you are watching.
post #1568 of 15885 Old 07-31-2008, 10:16 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this TV takes so long to pick up HDMI signals? Is it an issue with the LED that causes it to take longer? I can tell you that having had the Series 6 72 incher, it doesn't take as long to pick up the signal. Of course this is basically a non issue, it just seems a little funky. I guess if a madman breaks into my house, puts a gun to my head, and says he wants an HD pic on my set in 5 seconds, I might be in trouble, but other than that, I should be OK!......
post #1569 of 15885 Old 07-31-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:

I suppose it COULD be the firmware, since anything is possible with these wacky sets, but it seems unlikely. It is probably like everything else about these sets, where things are different from one unit to another.
post #1570 of 15885 Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:

I suppose it COULD be the firmware, since anything is possible with these wacky sets, but it seems unlikely. It is probably like everything else about these sets, where things are different from one unit to another.

In the service manual it shows that the DMD board is what powers the fans and it gives the voltage going to the fans as 8 volts. Under this assumption I would have to say that the firmware which affects the mainboard does not have any effect on the voltage from the DMD board to the fans. If your fans are loud, the troubleshooting flow chart says to check for wires or any other misc things rubbing on the fans. I have my TV set to Medium for the LED output and the exhaust becomes mildly warm, but not really that hot.

I would like to know with the IR measurements, what the temps are coming out of the exhaust port when the TV is set to high medium and low... That would be interesting to me.

Also note that the service manual doesn't say anything about the temperature monitoring going on with the LED's, but there are wires connected to the LED's thermistors - so there is temperature monitoring.. Again, at the different LED settings I was unable to notice a change in the fan speeds - so I am inclined to think that 8 volts is just a standard setting that doesn't change and if the LED chips become too hot the set will shut down. I find it interesting the size of the heatsinks used for the LED's as well as the heatpipes they use. Compared to computer applications, they are pretty heavy duty heatpipes and heatsinks..
post #1571 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
very interested in this tv, but just wondering if anyone here made the jump from a Samsung HL-SXX87 to this tv and how much of a difference did you notice in PQ? I currently have an HL-S5687 and looking for a tv that is bright enough to be in a medium lit room, but most importantly have great black levels.
post #1572 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I did check the exhaust air, it doesn't seem hot.
I also checked trhe audio level of the fan again. It seems to be as loud as the two TiVos I have under the left side of the TV.
I guess it seems loud to me because I can hear the fan from a TiVo at 20 feet away when it is quiet, so I easily notice the fan in the TV when it's quiet.

Here's another post confirming a very, very quiet set. Barely audible with volume muted when I'm right by the back of the TV. Definitely way quiter than the fan and HD in my cable box. Weird that yours seems louder, or maybe you are just particularly sensitive to that frequency...

Quote:

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this TV takes so long to pick up HDMI signals? Is it an issue with the LED that causes it to take longer? I can tell you that having had the Series 6 72 incher, it doesn't take as long to pick up the signal. Of course this is basically a non issue, it just seems a little funky. I guess if a madman breaks into my house, puts a gun to my head, and says he wants an HD pic on my set in 5 seconds, I might be in trouble, but other than that, I should be OK!......

I think it has to do with the HDCP copy protection and handshaking that goes on, such as querying the device for which resolutions it supports. I would guess it could probably be optimized/speeded up with some software tweaks, but I think we just live with it for now, and pray that madman with the gun never breaks ito your house.
post #1573 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The speed is comparable or slightly faster than other sets I've owned.

LED DLP
post #1574 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

Here's another post confirming a very, very quiet set. Barely audible with volume muted when I'm right by the back of the TV. Definitely way quiter than the fan and HD in my cable box. Weird that yours seems louder, or maybe you are just particularly sensitive to that frequency...

I'm probably just more sensitive. Even a wind up wrist watch annoys me if it's in a quiet room since I can easily hear it. I have to move it into another room.
The only fans I can't hear where the main display is are the 8.5dB ones I put on top of my receiver and VP50pro. My BD30, TiVos, PS3 etc, I can easily hear them in the next room when on. And when sitting 9 feet away they sound even louder to me.

LED DLP
post #1575 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 12:23 PM

Pulled the trigger today, set will be here in about a week. I have a tv stand that is 48" across that I used to have a 36" CRT on, so I know it will hold it weight-wise. With a 39" base footprint, would the 67A750 be okay on that stand if I don't mind the overhang on each side? I'd rather not spend the money for a new stand if I didn't have to, but if it is highly recommended, I will.
post #1576 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

Yeah I would say that my set is very quiet too, except when I have the LED control to med or high. Used to be very loud on auto also. But I have noticed auto is working differently than before... to which I am still wondering if anyone else has noticed... lol
post #1577 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 03:43 PM

I own the HL67A750. (67" one)

I noticed when the screen is pitch black there are white lines on the screen.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to make that go away?
post #1578 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsmaniac02 View Post

I am back for round 2 of "settings chasers" lol. Mainly, I noticed something new last night.

I, like many others, made the judgement that "auto" for LED control basically kept it somewhere around "max" and "high" the whole time and thought that the tv was too bright, and that it lightened blacks up a little too. I hence forth left "auto" behind and hadn't touched it since.

Last night I was watching the new "Dark City" bluray (awesome movie btw) with the lady friend and was messing around with brightness settings and she said she really thought "auto" looked better on that particular frame (and I agreed... was a little brighter, but had AWESOME contrast, no black crush, and DEEP blacks) so I left it on auto for a while. I think that auto is actually working correctly (at least what I think would be "correct") now?!?!?. It makes every screen have the deepest blacks possible considering what else is on the picture. When the picture is completely black (fade out or lights out in the movie or whatever) it looks like the LED basically turns OFF (actually, a little distracting). When the picture is mostly black but there is a bright object or light on the screen, the black level is a little lighter than in other moments, and when the picture is basically all dark then the black level is INKY but all the details stand out also (no black crush). It IS a little distracting to have a varying black level like that, and I don't know if its worth getting used to or not... but I thought I would share this experience.

The 2 main differences between now and when I tried originally is that I am on 1005.3 firmware (was on original firmware when I dismissed the "auto" setting) and I use a bias light behind the TV (ideallume, florescent light with a "dimmer" filter and such) now. Its funny... because "auto" LED seems to be doing what I thought Dynamic Contrast would do as I thought the LED control was supposed to judge ambient light and figure out how much juice to put through the LED.

The rest of my settings mainly follow the posted settings on the front page. I believe they are as follows:
contrast: 97
color:48
tint:51/49
brightness:varies
warm2
gamma -3
dynamic contrast: off
black level enhance: off
LED: varies (used to use from med to min depending on ambient light)

I forget what else is important as its early in the morning, but nothing differs that much from what's posted

Has anyone noticed something like this? I was under the impression we all basically thought "auto" wasn't working correctly and was just always on high.

I tried this LED Control setting of Auto and have to agree that it looks pretty good if not great. Seems like better contrast with better black levels. However, I see that my picture gets quite brighter, maybe too much, and the whites seem to "crush", if that it a proper term. There is almost too much "pop" to the picture. I tried turning down the brightness but that didn't have any effect on the white "crush". I tried turning down the contrast to 80 and it lowered the "pop" a little but did not affect the white "crush". How do you lower the white "crush"?

Jack

Jack
post #1579 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Is it possible to fix the overscan issue by physically adjusting the lens?

I would like to have 1:1 pixel mapping and everything visible on the screen.
post #1580 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

I hear a buzz when I go to 3D mode, is that a defect or normal?
post #1581 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post

Is it possible to fix the overscan issue by physically adjusting the lens?

I would like to have 1:1 pixel mapping and everything visible on the screen.

It does have 1:1 pixel mapping if you have it on Just Scan(or whatever it's called) It just has 2% to 3% overscan but it is mapped 1:1. Any other picture setting doesn't give you 1:1 pixel mapping.

LED DLP
post #1582 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDelight View Post

My 67" was delivered with damage to the plastic grills on the lower back of the tv. Vanns where I purchased it has offered me a refund if I will keep the TV--the amount has yet to be determined. But I don't know what's behind that grill and if it could be damaged at all. The tv seems to run fine except that I noticed today while looking at the damage again that the air coming out of the tv at the bottom grills was hot, even to touch the dust covers on the sides--they were quite warm. I've read where other say the tv doesn't seem to be giving off any heat at all so now I'm concerned that perhaps there is a fan inside that isn't working or something. I haven't ever heard any fan noises at all from this TV.
Has anyone who owns one of these TV's or a service manual know what's in the TV at the rear about 5-6 inches to the right of the label on the back of the TV?
Does your TV exhaust hot air at the bottom if it's been on say for 6 hours?If the damage is purely cosmetic then I'll take the refund but otherwise I think it should be replaced.

I would definitely return the set--Won't they let you keep the current set until the replacement arrives?

It's a pain, but I wouldn't want to take chances--unless that's some huge refund....

Dave

post #1583 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 PM

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these two sets. I hear tell that you must get back a good distance from both of these HDTVs because they look real grainy from as little as 10 feet away. I'm going to CC tomorrow to see these two sets for myself. Can someone chime in on this? Is it possible the set may have needed tweeking? My best friend saw both sets at CC today and his opinion was, grainy and with artifacts.
post #1584 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato47 View Post

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these two sets. I hear tell that you must get back a good distance from both of these HDTVs because they look real grainy from as little as 10 feet away. I'm going to circuit city tomorrow to see for myself. Can someone chime in on this? Is it possible the set need tweeking? My best friend saw both sets at circuit city today and that's what his opinion was.

By real grainy do you mean the Silk Screen Effect? All RP sets have this. The Samsung set is nowhere near as bad as my 2007 Toshiba DLP set is.

I have no problems at 9 feet with the 67" LED DLP set.

LED DLP
post #1585 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 09:56 PM

Aaronwt:

As a rookie, I'm not familiar with the term 'Silk Screen Effect" Could you explain that term so I can access these sets when I go to see them in person tomorrow?

Thanks
post #1586 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodykw1982 View Post

I own the HL67A750. (67" one)

I noticed when the screen is pitch black there are white lines on the screen.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to make that go away?

First, check for obvious causes, like things in your room reflecting on the screen. I had something white on my screen until I realized it was the reflection of my chair.....these screens reflect everything when they are off or showing black. If it is not an external cause, than no, this is not normal, and you should probably return the set. Does anyone else have any opionions on this that is more tech savy?
post #1587 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato47 View Post

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these two sets. I hear tell that you must get back a good distance from both of these HDTVs because they look real grainy from as little as 10 feet away. I'm going to CC tomorrow to see these two sets for myself. Can someone chime in on this? Is it possible the set may have needed tweeking? My best friend saw both sets at CC today and his opinion was, grainy and with artifacts.

As I said earlier, I'm only 7.5 feet from my 67 incher and it looks great on most anything, but the consensus here seems to be you should sit farther back than I do, but I had no choice. It depends on what size of screen you are used to as well. You should also keep in mind that the signal being displayed at stores is split off many times through many TVs and is thus degraded, making it very iffy to judge pic quality at the store. You must remember that no matter how good a TV is, its pic quality is only as good as the signal it recieves.
post #1588 of 15885 Old 08-01-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:

First, check for obvious causes, like things in your room reflecting on the screen. I had something white on my screen until I realized it was the reflection of my chair.....these screens reflect everything when they are off or showing black. If it is not an external cause, than no, this is not normal, and you should probably return the set. Does anyone else have any opionions on this that is more tech savy?

Before returning the set, have you checked everything?
Does this happen for all sources?
Does it only happen when a specific source is 'on' ?
Is it white lines -or- low intensity white bands that may be reflections?
Have you lowered the LED intensity to MED to see if that makes a difference?
If it's a specific source, have you tried a different cable?
Show us a picture of the problem and you will get more comments.
post #1589 of 15885 Old 08-11-2008, 09:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseagrov; View Post

Anyone having issues when watching fast action or sports. I see blurring or artifact in the picture. I have look at the setup on the forums and tried different settings. Any ideas.

Thanks

Mike.

This happens with all broadcast sources. I've seen it on every HD broadcast I've watched since 2001. Anytime there is fast motion, bright flashes or fast pans it will cause it. And if the provider or channel lowers the bit rate it will be worse.
I use an Algolith Flea on my broadcast sources to minimize the effect. Without the Flea I can easily see it on small 20" HD sets.

LED DLP
post #1590 of 15885 Old 08-11-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems to take forever (4 seconds) to get a picture after channel change. Does anyone know of a fix for this frustrating characteristic?

TerryB
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung