2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 546 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #16351 of 16367 Old 09-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stay@homedad View Post
mine does that time to time, has all three LED's flash as the TV appears to cycle on an off
Sounds like a power supply problem. Most likely the sub-smps; sometimes the main-smps. This is a common issue, usually due to the electrolytic capacitors going bad. Mentioned often earlier in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16352 of 16367 Old 09-16-2016, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicvoid View Post
Sounds like a power supply problem. Most likely the sub-smps; sometimes the main-smps. This is a common issue, usually due to the electrolytic capacitors going bad. Mentioned often earlier in this thread.
Quick research lead me to that as well, has links to suitable replacement caps been sourced?
post #16353 of 16367 Old 09-16-2016, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quick research lead me to that as well, has links to suitable replacement caps been sourced?
There are some links scattered in this thread. These kind of parts are available from Mouser, Digi-Key, etc.

You need to see if there are any caps that have bulging tops, they are the prime candidates.
post #16354 of 16367 Old 09-18-2016, 08:27 PM

OK starting to get ready to replace the DMD chip. I got the back cover off and wanted to identify the power board and examine the caps but which one is the power board?

The good news is that all the caps on both boards appear to be non bulging.

Is there any reason I can blow the dust out of this or will it get up in areas that I will regret?
post #16355 of 16367 Old 09-19-2016, 11:23 AM

DMD chip is in picture is great. I went into the calibration setting of my TV like the person did in the video I linked. but I see more than one outer border

In the video it make reference to one red one and I have red, purple, yellow, and blue. What one are we wanting to set to the outer perimeter? Also you can see it in that shot but also the grid:

my horizontal lines are off kilter, how is this adjusted? I see inside the TV the focus adjustments but I also noticed to adjusters with philip slots in the top of them, what are they for?

I figured that if I have the TV this far apart, I might as well correct these issues.
post #16356 of 16367 Old 09-20-2016, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
DMD chip is in picture is great. I went into the calibration setting of my TV like the person did in the video I linked. but I see more than one outer border

In the video it make reference to one red one and I have red, purple, yellow, and blue. What one are we wanting to set to the outer perimeter? Also you can see it in that shot but also the grid:

my horizontal lines are off kilter, how is this adjusted? I see inside the TV the focus adjustments but I also noticed to adjusters with philip slots in the top of them, what are they for?

I figured that if I have the TV this far apart, I might as well correct these issues.
The two knobs with the phillips slots adjust the light but unless you have a shadow an one side or the other or top or bottom then they are alright.
They are not touchy and you have to worry about messing it up.

As far as making the picture straight from one side to the other it involves loosening the 3 screws that have the plastic caps over them.
It is very touchy and you need someone else to tell you when it is straight or a big mirror.
You will see how touchy when it will gets worse before it gets better.
It is almost certain you will move it too far your first try.

"Yes I have a house full of Samsung Parts"
"Yes I live alone"
post #16357 of 16367 Old 09-20-2016, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman2242 View Post
The two knobs with the phillips slots adjust the light but unless you have a shadow an one side or the other or top or bottom then they are alright.
They are not touchy and you have to worry about messing it up.

As far as making the picture straight from one side to the other it involves loosening the 3 screws that have the plastic caps over them.
It is very touchy and you need someone else to tell you when it is straight or a big mirror.
You will see how touchy when it will gets worse before it gets better.
It is almost certain you will move it too far your first try.
So...don't mess with it.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #16358 of 16367 Old 09-20-2016, 05:48 AM

I researched and learned what the "knobs" are for, no issues there, so they have not been touched. I fixed the "kilter issue" by shimming one rear corner of the TV, this cause the unit to flex just right to properly align the grid as seen here:

post #16359 of 16367 Old 09-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I got the back cover off and wanted to identify the power board and examine the caps but which one is the power board?
The good news is that all the caps on both boards appear to be non bulging.
Is there any reason I can blow the dust out of this or will it get up in areas that I will regret?
They are both power boards. The one on the right end with the slanted side is the sub-smps; due to the high angle on your photos, I can't really tell if the cap tops are bulging.

The third photo is the main-smps (on top of the main board); it looks to me like the two large caps might be starting to bulge, but not badly yet. If the power recycling symptom continues, you can test voltages while its cycling (on both boards) to try to narrow it down to one or the other.

Don't blow dust out. Use a vacuum with a small nozzle.
post #16360 of 16367 Old 09-20-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicvoid View Post
They are both power boards. The one on the right end with the slanted side is the sub-smps; due to the high angle on your photos, I can't really tell if the cap tops are bulging.

The third photo is the main-smps (on top of the main board); it looks to me like the two large caps might be starting to bulge, but not badly yet. If the power recycling symptom continues, you can test voltages while its cycling (on both boards) to try to narrow it down to one or the other.

Don't blow dust out. Use a vacuum with a small nozzle.
Vacuum was used, TV is back in operational order, I have revisited the settings and SM stuff shared here and WOW do these sets have an amazing picture.
post #16361 of 16367 Old 09-21-2016, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Has anyone had the picture problem shown on this video? Strobing and color distortion? Mine does this for a bit and most times I turn the set off for a minute turn it back on and it is fine and it may not happen again for hours. Caps have been replaced. I found two other post on this problem, but no resolution.
post #16362 of 16367 Old 09-21-2016, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartographer View Post
https://youtu.be/a1ok1VEHctc

Has anyone had the picture problem shown on this video? Strobing and color distortion? Mine does this for a bit and most times I turn the set off for a minute turn it back on and it is fine and it may not happen again for hours. Caps have been replaced. I found two other post on this problem, but no resolution.

That's not a DLP TV

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #16363 of 16367 Old 09-22-2016, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
That's not a DLP TV
I know that but my DLP has the same problem from time to time and I am asking if anyone has had the same picture problem the strobing and the runny colors shown on the screen of the tv in the video. My picture looks the same I am not saying the problem is the same and again I no that the TV is not the same. Can you help?
post #16364 of 16367 Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

No. Post a video of YOUR TV displaying the symptoms, and maybe we can help you.

post #16365 of 16367 Old 09-22-2016, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
disregard

TK

Last edited by Teknomedic; 09-22-2016 at 10:07 PM.
post #16366 of 16367 Old Today, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Dadgummit! Turned on the TV this morning and the screen is red. Am hoping this will be an easy, clear fix. Thanks for any help/ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red TV2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	1694337  
post #16367 of 16367 Old Today, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I use all the HDMI connections, and unplugged the HDMI2 to plug it into another small TV. Then, plugged it back in and changed input on the Samsung to do some Tivo maintenance before switching to another TV.

Presto! The red is gone. Now to diagnose and fix - if possible - before it suddenly goes red again at a bad time. Could this be a shaky HDMI port going bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung