2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 552 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #16531 of 16547 Old 08-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think the plan is to buy something new like a Sony X930E and fix the DLP as I have spare time...can't have to many TV's right? We'll find out just how handy or unhandy I am. The part is something like $190. That an an hour of time maybe longer. Sounds easy, ha ha. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Enjoy!

MAIN: Sony XBR-X930E,Yamaha CX-A5100,Acurus A100X3,A100X2,Polk RT3000P,CS1000P,LC265i,Sony UBP-X800,Google Fiber TV/NET,WD live Hub,Kenwood DP-7010 CD,Monster HTS-3600,MX-900
GAME:Panasonic TC-P46S2,Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk 5JR,TSX150C,RC65i,M&K V2B,Sony BDP-S790,WD Hub, Google Fiber TV,Xbox,Monster HTS-3600,MX-900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16532 of 16547 Old 08-13-2017, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfracek View Post
In my case, I started out with one white dot and over a short time they just multiplied like rabbits Luckily I had an extended warranty and I got it fixed and cleaned just a month before the warranty ran out. I think the tech said it would have cost about $500 or more for the repairs. I didn't have to pay a penny. The tech did a great job and the picture quality was like new. It has been running great since then and it has been about two years.
Ditto on the 1st part. The # of stuck white pixels really started growing day by day and got pretty bad. I pretty quickly ordered a replacement DLP chip (DMD) from ShopJimmy which cost me $200, after some discount I had. Funny enough, I placed that order on 8/18/15. I installed it within a week of arrival.

My HL61A750 is still working fine and none of the have LEDs have failed, yet. I do have a large USB Thermaltake fan pulling air thru the casing near the exhaust of hot air from the LEDs.

Picture quality hasn't gotten any worse than before original DMD started developing stuck white pixels so the set still looks great.
post #16533 of 16547 Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mine started doing the same thing about 2 years ago now. i bought a replacement chip and replaced it my self. It took about 1/2 hour. The only other problem I have have told my wife if it goes out Im going to buy a 80" but the thing wont die and the picture still gets people saying wow what a great picture. The chip cost about $130.

post #16534 of 16547 Old 08-21-2017, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post

My HL61A750 is still working fine and none of the have LEDs have failed, yet. I do have a large USB Thermaltake fan pulling air thru the casing near the exhaust of hot air from the LEDs.
Ditto on the USB fan. Found that tip some years back. My HL67A750 has been working fine since October 2008. I also make it a point to take out the chassis and clean it every 6 months. I want this thing to last as long as possible! Been a super TV! Haven't seen any reason to upgrade or even go to 4K with this set.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #16535 of 16547 Old 09-07-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Turning this Sammy loose finally and Experimenting with Color

Aside from one of the LEDs going out over a year ago (blue I think it was) and replacing it myself with the help of the great support in this thread, my 61" set has been trouble free. LOL aside from a couple idiosyncrasies of late that seem now to have magically corrected themselves. Switching inputs with the remote from HDMI 1 with my DirecTV tuner to HDMI 2 for my Roku got to be a joke at times with it taking like 4 or 5 times with it reverting instead to HDMI 1. Even with hitting the home button on the Roku first. It would blink 2 but still do 1 after choosing 2. Lately .... just like buttuh ..... I hit the Roku home button and the TV has been going to HDMI 2 automatically without me even having to use the input button on the remote. And for about a month recently it got weird in that I would power the set off and it would immediately turn itself back on, necessitating me having to physically unplug it after powering down. Now that has corrected itself on its own also finally.

The prices have come down on what I will believe will be my 65" replacement TV, a Vizio P65-E1, to where it will cost me no more than I paid over 9 years ago for the HL61A750. So instead of continuing to baby it with less brightness than ideally I'd like at Medium setting thinking less heat would help extend the life, I'm getting wild and crazy and now running it on High for a much nicer pop. But I am also no holds barred experimenting with some settings I never used before, from the amazing amount of user setting this set provided ..... with Dynamic Contrast and Wide Color Gamut. Have only been watching on network and streaming for a couple of nights and have to say with these ballpark settings below I am really digging the pop and color and overall picture now thinking it is the best it's ever been for this never pro calibrated set. Of course the better the source the better they look. Have not tried with Bluray yet. Just started experimenting a few days ago and still a work in progress.

For bleeps and giggles in case anyone wants to try them out, here they are. Your mileage of course may vary. Using dynamic contrast and wide color and a couple of the other settings that we were told to always leave off requires really working with some of the other settings and / or raising them or lowering them to compensate, and these have asterisks on them. Guessing Max brightness could be tried too but I don't want this great old set to say WTF are you doing to me and blow up out of spite.

MODE Movie
COLOR TONE Warm 1
*CONTRAST 34
*BRIGHTNESS 46
SHARPNESS 42
*COLOR 54
*TINT G48/R52
BLACK ADJUST Low
DYNAMIC CONTRAST Low
LED High
GAMMA +3
*WHITE BALANCE -3
*FLESH TONE -4
EDGE ENHANCEMENT Off
xvYCC Off
SIZE Just Scan
*DNR Low
HDMI BLACK LEVEL Low
FILM MODE Auto
COLOR GAMUT Wide

*** Darbee .... per source on Network and per taste. I think Darbee processing on these sets is awesome and adds so much. The wobulation created HD really seems to accept higher levels of that processing exceptionally well with good sources. You can flip with the little remote the processing on and off of course and just see the added detail and dimensionality wrap itself around objects and faces when on.

Anyway that's what I am playing with now for however long the Sammy continues to last. I do have a dedicated theater with a near golden sample JVC RS500, with other prior JVCs over these same years and never felt like throwing rocks at this set in my front room when coming in to watch it. So I do have a good point of reference.

I have good purples on my Lakers uniforms which are kind of tough and am happy with the flesh tones and pretty ecstatic about the wider range of color and deeper colors I am seeing. Same with black level and shadow detail.... nothing has been sacrificed there.

Last edited by RonF; 09-07-2017 at 09:46 AM.
post #16536 of 16547 Old 09-07-2017, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got into the set once as mentioned a couple years ago to replace the blue LED. Not really wanting to open it up again unless there is some relatively easy recommended way with photos on how to get at the surface of the LEDs to "clean" them off and what to use. Tried a search but nothing so far. If photos and the actual process involved are available from anyone here would much appreciate and I might try doing it depending on degree of difficulty. If others are reporting great brightness pop, which makes sense as it used to give on my old CRT rear projection set, and if nothing is required as far as pulling any actual components out of the way or disconnecting wires.

When I replaced my blue LED there was one tiny wire I broke the connector on and can't replace it. But got lucky with a shop in town when I took the whole module down to him (whatever it was) and he was able to just push the bare end into the connector hole where it was supposed to have the actual connector and then put a tiny spot of silicone or something up top to keep the wire in place. We didn't even know if it would work. But after everything was screwed back in it did. So that's the reason I am asking about what kind of a tool, feather duster or whatever can be used to clean the guns and how difficult is it to get at them. Photos?

Thanks as always in here. Amazing thread all these years!

Last edited by RonF; 09-07-2017 at 11:25 AM.
post #16537 of 16547 Old 09-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
... how to get at the surface of the LEDs to "clean" them off ...
In my experience with this set, the only way to access the LED chips is to remove them from the optical block, which might give more trouble than it would solve. The optical block is fairly well sealed when the LEDs are mounted, so I doubt any significant amount of dust would land on them. The chip area is so small, and the LEDs are sooo bright, that it would take a lot of dust to make a noticeable loss of output. Just my 2¢.

If you did go that route, use alcohol and a Q-tip.
RonF likes this.
post #16538 of 16547 Old 09-09-2017, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks!
post #16539 of 16547 Old 09-10-2017, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Woke up this morning to color problems with my HL61A750. I replaced the chip about a year ago to solve the white dots problem and all has been great since. Everything now has a yellow tint and greens and reds seem to be more intense. I assume it could be a light source or a board and would like to specifically identify the issue so I can decide about fix or replace. Is there a troubleshooting procedure to accurately identify the source of the problem. Thanks for any suggestions.
post #16540 of 16547 Old 09-10-2017, 05:56 AM

Just to add, the color bands on the simulated TV on the Menu appear to be white, white, green, red, black. Seems the blue light source failed but would still appreciate any suggestions about how to confirm it is the color light source and not an issue with a board.
If it is the light source, is there consensus on replacing all 3 sources vs. just the blue? Do the light sources have a tendency to fail about the same time (TV is 9 years old). I hope to keep my Samsung for 2 more years before upgrading. Thanks again.

Last edited by EdsGro; 09-10-2017 at 06:02 AM.
post #16541 of 16547 Old 09-10-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdsGro View Post
Just to add, the color bands on the simulated TV on the Menu appear to be white, white, green, red, black. Seems the blue light source failed but would still appreciate any suggestions about how to confirm it is the color light source and not an issue with a board.
If it is the light source, is there consensus on replacing all 3 sources vs. just the blue? Do the light sources have a tendency to fail about the same time (TV is 9 years old). I hope to keep my Samsung for 2 more years before upgrading. Thanks again.
Definitely sounds like the blue LED. I said over a year ago above mine went out and was able to replace myself with help here, but was actually 2 years ago. Was told at the time just to do the one that was out and seems like very good advice.

Last edited by RonF; 09-10-2017 at 09:29 AM.
post #16542 of 16547 Old 09-10-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Definitely sounds like the blue LED. I said over a year ago above mine went out and was able to replace myself with help here, but was actually 2 years ago. Was told at the time just to do the one that was out and seems like very good advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Following up on my settings above I watched parts of first bluray with them and remain beyond happy. It was the Cave of Monsters chapter in Moana with all its rich pallette of crazy colors and brilliant highlights. Couldn't believe what I was seeing out of my 9 year old DLP set. It looked very much as if I had been watching the images with my RS500 on the 2.8 HP screen and was not even running Darbee which is only on my DirecTV feed. Colors saturated and amazing with good animation flesh tones, highlights brilliant and not blown, great blacks (in juxtaposition) and great shadow detail. No color wheel. Effing shame this set and tech had only one generation of production.

Last edited by RonF; 09-10-2017 at 09:31 AM.
post #16543 of 16547 Old 09-11-2017, 07:02 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Following up on my settings above I watched parts of first bluray with them and remain beyond happy. It was the Cave of Monsters chapter in Moana with all its rich pallette of crazy colors and brilliant highlights. Couldn't believe what I was seeing out of my 9 year old DLP set. It looked very much as if I had been watching the images with my RS500 on the 2.8 HP screen and was not even running Darbee which is only on my DirecTV feed. Colors saturated and amazing with good animation flesh tones, highlights brilliant and not blown, great blacks (in juxtaposition) and great shadow detail. No color wheel. Effing shame this set and tech had only one generation of production.
I agree. This TV set has just been amazing. I have the 67 inch model and couldn't love it more. Haven't had a bit of trouble since I bought it in 2008. But, I do baby it, clean it out every 6 months , and run a USB fan . Still marvel at the picture. I have yet to figure out any replacement for this set, as all manufacturers now dropped 3D in their new models. I'm really not interested in 4k at all, as at my age I don't think I could see the difference. I hope to keep this that going for as long as possible.

It is a shame that they didn't manufacturer for another generation. IMO, this was really a brilliant piece of technology! It just didn't have the coolness factor of being able to hang it on the wall. Of course, you could, but you would need one hell of a bracket or a pretty sturdy Shelf! That never made any difference to me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
RonF likes this.
post #16544 of 16547 Old 09-11-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Yeah, replaced the blue LED myself a few years back, only takes about 20 minutes or so, very easy to do.

Had the white dots issue pop up a few months ago, but ended up buying a new display and giving the Sammy to my step-daughter.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #16545 of 16547 Old 09-17-2017, 08:04 AM

I was able to buy a used blue LED off eBay for $25. A little bit of a risk but worth it in my opinion given the cost of new LEDs and the relatively short time before an upgrade. Pulled the light unit, replaced the blue LED as well as two fans, and returned the unit to regain the great display. It's amazing that this TV has a great picture and is relatively simple to repair. Very happy with my Samsung LED DLP.
post #16546 of 16547 Old 09-17-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdsGro View Post
I was able to buy a used blue LED off eBay for $25. A little bit of a risk but worth it in my opinion given the cost of new LEDs and the relatively short time before an upgrade. Pulled the light unit, replaced the blue LED as well as two fans, and returned the unit to regain the great display. It's amazing that this TV has a great picture and is relatively simple to repair. Very happy with my Samsung LED DLP.
Great to hear another success story. My 61A750 continues to purr along after all these years. Only had to fix the "white dot" problem a couple of years ago. Other than an occasional "dusting" a couple times a year, it has been rock solid and trouble-free. Every time I get the urge to buy something "new" to replace it; I turn it on and sit back and marvel at just how good it still looks. Anyway, I have a full compliment of ready-to-go spare parts that will support this thing well into the next century... so I HAVE to keep it !
post #16547 of 16547 Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM

Liked: 12
I have been looking at new TV's lately and realized there are just too many tradeoffs with current tech.

The real reason I've been considering it is because I've notice that if a person is wearing clothes with a tight parallel pattern in the fabric, if the fabric is completely vertical (and lined up perfectly square with the DLP chip, the fabric sort of "flashes" on the screen.

I replaced the DLP chip last year because of dead mirrors, but other than that, it has been completely trouble free.

Blacks are better than LCD TV's, slightly less than Plasma and OLED, brightness is great, no reflections from the screen is great. Motion is handled very well, though I do notice what I think is judder, particularly when the camera pans across a large background..the background will seem to jerk slightly, and in the Dreamworks movie intros with the clouds moving.

Any ideas as to that "flashing"?

Last edited by jpitt916; Yesterday at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page